As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Finally a new [Android] Thread

• Options
    KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    I picked up a new Moto X when they were doing a $150 off deal. I had gone from a Galaxy S3 to it and the move from Touchwiz was a little odd. Nothing that's too difficult to figure out, but it was a different enough that I was going, "How do I do [this] for a few things.

• Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    Mugsley wrote: »
    Pretty solid deal on the MotoX today: http://bgr.com/2015/05/05/moto-x-2014-deals-off-contract/

Does this hint at a refresh in the next 8-10 months?

I'm using the opportunity to at least get my wife to consider something besides her S4.

We can safely expect a third generation of the Moto X to arrive in the late summer just like its predecessors did.

Gaslight on
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    So I'm now part of the on-call rotation at work. Our ticket system sends an SMTP alert to us via text. I created a contact for it and set the ringtone and message alert tone to be a different one from the default but it still uses the default. I'm using the built-in message app on my Galaxy S6, but it had the same behavior on my S3 before I upgraded.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    http://www.zdnet.com/article/google-accidentally-reveals-android-m-in-new-io-schedule/

Android M leaked... to be unveiled May 28th?

I hope it's better than Lolipop. Even now I have lots of problems with L on my Nexus 7.

• Options
    oldmankenoldmanken Registered User regular
    What are people's thoughts on the Note 4? I'm currently rocking a Xperia Z3 on T-mobile, but I'm going to have to get a phone for work as well, and am thinking of just transferring my number and getting the Note on AT&T (company doesn't allow for T-mobile).

So yeah, any thoughts would be appreciated. I figure carrying one big-jesus device beats having to carry two most of the time.

• Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    I really like mine; I was a little worried about the size before I got it but it's really not that big. Samsungs ui has never really bothered me, and Lollipop made it work a little better, plus their multitasking stuff is pretty great (shrinking programs, running multiple apps on screen at the same time). I rarely use the stylus but my coworker swore by it and my sister uses it pretty frequently.

I don't regret picking it up at all, and I paid full price.

Granted I don't know how it stacks up against newer phones as I kinda stopped paying attention to new hardware after picking up my Note (although I'm thinking of getting my mom the S6).

• Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    I have a Note 4 and I use the pen quite a bit in meetings and things. It's a really solid purchase as far as I am concerned.

It has replaced my tablet. I do not carry or use my tablet pretty much at all any more so that's been a pretty nice thing to consolidate back down to one device to worry about.

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    oldmankenoldmanken Registered User regular
    Yeah, that's the other benefit I was hoping for... staving off getting a separate tablet.

I'm assuming working in spreadsheets will be easier as well, considering the screen real-estate.

• Options
    HooverFanHooverFan NCRegistered User regular
    Nexus 9 getting 5.1.1 today

BNet profile: HooverFish#1668
    PSN: HooverFanPA
    Steam: HooverFan
  • Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    oldmanken wrote: »
    Yeah, that's the other benefit I was hoping for... staving off getting a separate tablet.

I'm assuming working in spreadsheets will be easier as well, considering the screen real-estate.

It is. I use it for all sorts of office apps when helping to train users on stuff. It works well for a lot of things my old Moto x simply didn't because of it's size.

In other unrelated news my Moto 360 is here and after a half day of use I am in nerd love.

Seidkona on
    Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    HooverFan wrote: »
    Nexus 9 getting 5.1.1 today

Thank you hoover buff

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    Wife has a RAZR M on its last leg. We have Verizon. She's not a heavy user. What would be some good replacement options?

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited May 2015
    Wife has a RAZR M on its last leg. We have Verizon. She's not a heavy user. What would be some good replacement options?
    My wife replaced her RAZR M with the DROID Turbo and has loved it, mostly for the giant battery. It has other top tier specs that she gives zero shits about.

A good cheap low-end option would be the Moto G.

The 2nd gen Moto X isn't that expensive anymore either if you want to go to "last year's flagship" waters, which is a decent place for a non power user.

zerzhul on
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    boy. just got the lollipop update

not. . .too sure how i feel about this.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular
    My S4 prompted me for the update today. Not sure if in going to update though. It's 5.0.1 which kinda worries me.

• Options
    CokebotleCokebotle 穴掘りの 電車内Registered User regular
    boy. just got the lollipop update

not. . .too sure how i feel about this.

The biggest complaint I have is that you can't quickly change priority mode when listening to music. You have to go through 3 menus via Settings.

I think that was fixed in 5.1, but seriously. Why didn't anybody think of that for 5.0?

工事中
  • Options
    Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    SirToasty wrote: »
    My S4 prompted me for the update today. Not sure if in going to update though. It's 5.0.1 which kinda worries me.

What carrier?

50433.png?1708759015
  • Options
    zerzhul wrote: »
    My wife replaced her RAZR M with the DROID Turbo and has loved it, mostly for the giant battery. It has other top tier specs that she gives zero shits about.

A good cheap low-end option would be the Moto G.

The 2nd gen Moto X isn't that expensive anymore either if you want to go to "last year's flagship" waters, which is a decent place for a non power user.

Hadn't considered the turbo. Looks pretty solid. Thanks

Zdy0pmg.jpg
  • Options
    My main gripe so far. Is the thing about changing priority when listening to music.

My text messages no longer displaying on my lock screen so now I have to unlock my phone and open the individual text. which being able to see what someone said at glance was a huge plus.

and the absolutely garish color layout.

every menu has a different color and it's so distracting. i've been trying to just change everything back to black all day.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular
    Banzai5150 wrote: »
    SirToasty wrote: »

What carrier?

Verizon. It's a two part update. There's a rom on XDA that uses the old bootloader in order to keep root and allow downgrading so I might go that route.

• Options
    CokebotleCokebotle 穴掘りの 電車内Registered User regular
    My main gripe so far. Is the thing about changing priority when listening to music.

My text messages no longer displaying on my lock screen so now I have to unlock my phone and open the individual text. which being able to see what someone said at glance was a huge plus.

every menu has a different color and it's so distracting. i've been trying to just change everything back to black all day.

I thought that text messages could be read from the lock screen. I typically use WhatsApp or Hangouts though, so I could be mistaken.

Also, if you swipe up on the lock screen, you can see more of your notifications. Maybe that would help?

工事中
  • Options
    @zerzhul how does the Turbo's 15 minute charge work in the real world?

Zdy0pmg.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    Cokebotle wrote: »

I thought that text messages could be read from the lock screen. I typically use WhatsApp or Hangouts though, so I could be mistaken.

Also, if you swipe up on the lock screen, you can see more of your notifications. Maybe that would help?

the colors are so ugly. they make me hate my phone.

the only solution i've found is going into developer settings and turning everything black and white. everything. why on earth would you force a color palette at this point?

edit: i have to root. installed the xposed module. and use an app called LPThemere

that's ridiculous. i'm probably just extra upset that after my upgrade this morning I received 1/4 texts that were sent to me or so. Received 30 new texts all at once today that had just been traveling through the ether regardless of when they were sent.

http://android.wonderhowto.com/how-to/install-xposed-framework-android-lollipop-devices-0160277/

and actually no. i'm not going through all of that so I don't have to see orange, green, camo brown, and whatever other colors that are plastered all over the phone menus.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RemyLebeau_88RemyLebeau_88 Registered User regular
    Quite possibly a dumb question, but when it comes to different carriers (Sprint in my case) am I stuck with only the phones that they offer on their site or can I buy other/any CDMA phones and still activate them? I'm looking to switch from my S4 to something that has 32GB+ storage and a card slot, and was going to get an M9 until its battery tests showed up.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited May 2015
    zerzhul how does the Turbo's 15 minute charge work in the real world?
    There are a handful of phones that support the turbocharger now, my Moto X and my wife's Droid Turbo among them. The turbocharger worked pretty great while we had it. It's most effective when you're on a low charge, and works pretty much as advertised (which is to give you about 8 hours worth of battery life in that 15 minutes). Unfortunately we left ours in a hotel room and didn't realize it for like a month afterwards.

zerzhul on
  • Options
    http://www.gottabemobile.com/2015/04/14/lg-g2-android-5-0-lollipop-update-problems-fixes/

I guess on the bright side my notification problem is universal. and all of the other problems.

can I get back to a version prior to lolipop? this is awful. I feel like I'm using a broken phone now.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    jjae2123jjae2123 Registered User regular
    There's a setting you can change to see your messages on the lockscreen. I think it's under security.

• Options
    edited May 2015
    yeah it's possible still but there is much less information now. It was really convenient to be able to just double tap my screen and get a quick heads up of what was going on. . .

which is another feature that no longer functions after the update. I could previously double tap my screen to turn on the display.

which was also great when the phone was on a flat surface to get a quick glance at what was going on without having to pick it up.

terrible update for the G2 and G3. Really ruined some of the functionality that gave those phones their identity.

If I do a factory reset will it force me back to this version of android?

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Factory resets do not roll back Android versions.

• Options
    joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    You can slide down on the message slice on the lockscreen and it will read a lot more of a text.

I'm on the fence about lollipop as well. Seems like a downgrade.

• Options
    This is why everyone should get a Nexus device for pure stock without the utter bullshit skins manufacturers use

• Options
    joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    This is why everyone should get a Nexus device for pure stock without the utter bullshit skins manufacturers use

Isn't Lollipop's cosmetic changes from stock though?

• Options
    well i guess my next question is. what do i have to do to roll this phone back.

steam_sig.png
  • Options

You'll almost certainly have to begin by rooting. Towelroot is a one-click option that works on most/all LG phones, I believe.

• Options
    edited May 2015
    Gaslight wrote: »

You'll almost certainly have to begin by rooting. Towelroot is a one-click option that works on most/all LG phones, I believe.

Yeah i've been rooted for a long time.

i guess i'm more concerned to find out if it is dangerous (more so than usual) to roll back on your own

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    Basics:
    - install a bootloader/recovery. I like Team Win.
    - boot into recovery and make an image of your phone as it is now.
    - save that image off-device. Now you can at least get back to where you are now.
    - find your new image, reboot into recovery, flash it.

• Options
    joshgotro wrote: »

Isn't Lollipop's cosmetic changes from stock though?

What he's describing isn't... that's a skin

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    I've said a few times, now, that a lot of the odd bugs that show up when you upgrade to 5.0.X or 5.1, fully disappear when you factory reset. Yes, it sucks, but Lollipop has a fair number of "back-end," "low level," changes that pretty much make this a requirement. Plus, it gives you the impetus to curate your bloated apps folder.

• Options
    KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular

This is actually one of the reasons I went with a Moto X. Basically the only things Motorola added were a few apps and functionality improvements.

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Cokebotle wrote: »

the colors are so ugly. they make me hate my phone.

the only solution i've found is going into developer settings and turning everything black and white. everything. why on earth would you force a color palette at this point?

edit: i have to root. installed the xposed module. and use an app called LPThemere

that's ridiculous. i'm probably just extra upset that after my upgrade this morning I received 1/4 texts that were sent to me or so. Received 30 new texts all at once today that had just been traveling through the ether regardless of when they were sent.

http://android.wonderhowto.com/how-to/install-xposed-framework-android-lollipop-devices-0160277/

and actually no. i'm not going through all of that so I don't have to see orange, green, camo brown, and whatever other colors that are plastered all over the phone menus.

I just got my update and I have the same issues. The colors are too bright and garish and I have things like now my texts don't show who sent them even when the box that did that in KitKat is checked.

This discussion has been closed.