As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Finally a new [Android] Thread

• Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited October 2014
    zerzhul got any shots of your iron man moto x?
    zerzhul wrote: »
    I haven't yet, no. I'll try to get some tomorrow in the daylight.
    My lock screen at least (not quite perfectly centered):

https://us.v-cdn.net/5018289/uploads/editor/aw/zb0mh3qjki4h.png

zerzhul on
  • Options
    SimpsoniaSimpsonia Registered User regular
    So, maybe tangentially related to Android. But, for the life of me I can't figure out how to get a clear picture out of my LG G3. Everything I've read about this thing says you dont have to do much with focus because of the laser. But even tapping on an area to focus, basically does nothing. Mostly, the thing that is annoying most is that I cannot use my mobile banking app to deposit checks, as the camera is not capable of taking photos clear enough to even read the text. I've tried every angle, distance, everything, and I can't get a clear picture out of this thing.

• Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2014
    Simpsonia wrote: »
    So, maybe tangentially related to Android. But, for the life of me I can't figure out how to get a clear picture out of my LG G3. Everything I've read about this thing says you dont have to do much with focus because of the laser. But even tapping on an area to focus, basically does nothing. Mostly, the thing that is annoying most is that I cannot use my mobile banking app to deposit checks, as the camera is not capable of taking photos clear enough to even read the text. I've tried every angle, distance, everything, and I can't get a clear picture out of this thing.

It's possible your phone is broken. Some dust maybe got trapped under the glass or something like that in manufacturing. The bar on those banking apps in generally pretty low (since they have to support phones from several years ago), so any 2014 phone should be able to take acceptable pics without even really trying.

a5ehren on
  • Options
    YogoYogo Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    I suppose this is the thread for my android related issue.

I'm a big fan of soundtracks/osts/inspiration music and have a 5-6 hour compilation of a bunch of music put together into one file. No problem playing it on iPad/desktop whatever. Since I have a commute in the morning, I thought about putting it on my Samsung Galaxy s4 mini.

So far so good. Music plays and stuff. But I thought I was hearing the same tracks over and over within the single file while commuting. Typical pieces wouldn't be played when they were supposed to.

I checked it today after work by playing the same music file on my desktop and my phone. There is no problem if I just let it play. File doesn't skip or the like after the first 15-20 minutes.

But if I want to fast forward to another section (ex. heard 1 hour today, want to hear hour 2 tomorrow), the file can't keep up. To illustrate it best, the first music piece within the single file compilation is 3 minutes long. If I skip 2 minutes in, it will play the song as you would expect. If I skip to 7 minutes further in, it still keeps playing the same song (as if I just skipped into the middle of it) even though it is only 3 minutes long.

This problem seems to be consistent. For example, the OST to a film should be heard at 2:50'ish mark, but instead the OST to another film is heard instead (which should have appeared at the 28th minute mark). No matter what I do, this always happens, so there seems to be a logic to the play dilation.

What is causing this problem? Is it the sheer size of the file which the phone/player can't keep up with? I tried the default player and one I pulled down from Google Play, but so far no luck.

Yogo on
  • Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    well i hope you are all happy, finally broke down and bought a moto x. sprung for the walnut finish

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited October 2014
    Sup Android thread

I'm planning to move real soon, and in this exercise in life-altering decisions, I decided now is a probably a good time as any to get with the year two-thousand-and-fourteen after an uncountable amount of time with this old-ass, but trusty and reliable, dumbphone. Help me not be dumb about this smartphone shit.
    • I'm on t-mobile right now, and am eying their $45 prepaid plan. 2GB seems like enough for what I'm going to use, but then again this is conjecture. Going on-contract is something I'm not terribly keen on doing.
    • Looking at the Nexus 5. Good idea right now with a new Google phone coming down the pipe? I heard that thing is going to be 6" which sounds ridiculous.

good ideas y/n.

Zxerol on
  • Options
    So I ended up not getting any light today. Went to work in the dark, came home in the dark. Tomorrow!

• Options
    mare_imbriummare_imbrium Registered User regular
    I have the supcase from Amazon on my new moto X in frost clear and black which I just bought to have a case while I thought about what else to get. I've stopped really noticing the added bulk, which is good, but I miss touching the wood on the back (bamboo) and honestly the black plastic on the sides is not pleasant to touch. It's kind of hard and scratchy. I don't see any flash or anything but the corners feel almost sharp. I am thinking about getting just a bumper for it instead.

What about screen protectors? I had to go into the ATT store to ask them a question about it the day I got it and they tried to sell me their tempered glass protector from a brand I'd never heard of for $40. I do want to get a screen protector but is tempered glass that necessary? Anyone have one they like? When my husband got his M8 we just ordered some cheap one from Amazon thinking at least he would have something and could replace it if it sucked and he hasn't said anything about needing a new one yet.

Oh, and I haven't fully set up my Moto yet. Anyone noticed slowness issues? I was reading somewhere that after a few days Moto got really laggy.

v2zAToe.jpg
    Wii: 4521 1146 5179 1333 Pearl: 3394 4642 8367 HG: 1849 3913 3132
  • Options
    CampyCampy Registered User regular
    I definitely wouldn't pay $40 for a screen protector, but a cheaper one might well be recommended. Depending on where you live, native (or otherwise) grit and sand will have a "hardness" greater than even toughened screen glass. This difference in hardness is what allows and causes scratches to occur. Now said sand/grit has to get somewhere where your phone will be and then be pressed up against it, pockets/bags are the main culprits. So while this is indeed possible, it is relatively unlikely, especially if you're careful. Having said that, I always use a cover for that just-in-case factor.

With regards to brands, I'm not too sure, there seem to be a whole bunch of them. I ended up buying Samar for my Nexus 5 at £1.50 and have been happy with it so far. It's even kept my screen together despite the huge crack I got in it after dropping it. Le Sigh.

• Options
    SimpsoniaSimpsonia Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    I ordered a Cailifu tempered glass protector from Amazon for my G3, which was my first glass screen protector. I'm loving it. It's way clearer than the plastic ones, and I dunno if it's just the glass, or the advertised mumbo jumbo oleophobic coating, but I basically never have to worry much about fingerprint smudges. Just having it in my pocket and walking around like normal is enough to remove all of them everytime I take it out of my pocket. Edit: It was also about 5000% easier to install than those plastic protectors. It came with a little alcohol wipe and microfiber cloth to get the screen perfect before applying.

Simpsonia on
  • Options
    BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    Simpsonia wrote: »
    or the advertised mumbo jumbo oleophobic coating, but I basically never have to worry much about fingerprint smudges.
    It's the coating, and it repels oil. You can get fingerprints on them, but they are much easier to clean off with a soft cloth.

As far as prices go, your average tempered glass screen protector seem to run in the 10-13 dollar range.

Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
  • Options
    well, my moto x just shipped. very excited.

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    And my new phone is here. Loving it so far. It's purty with the walnut back and has a nice heft to it.
    Set up my moto assist but if anyone has suggestions for things I can do I would appreciate it

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    mts wrote: »
    And my new phone is here. Loving it so far. It's purty with the walnut back and has a nice heft to it.
    Set up my moto assist but if anyone has suggestions for things I can do I would appreciate it

I think getting the voice of Majel Barrett on it would be 'number one'.

• Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    Preordered a Note 4. I can't ducking wait.

• Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    I'm super tempted to preorder but I think I'm going to wait until I can hold it in my hand. Which apparently I can do at Best Buy? I skimmed a thread on XDA about it, but I dont know if that was a limited thing or in a specific region or what.

Do want though.

• Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    They have demo units at some best buys.

• Options
    CokebotleCokebotle 穴掘りの 電車内Registered User regular
    So I'm looking for a new media player. Poweramp is pretty great except when I want to use smart playlists, which it doesn't support and apparently the devs have no interest in implementing it. :(

I have a mixture of instrumental/soundtrack music I like to use when studying or when I need to focus, as well as other music for general listening. Does anyone know of a good media player that either supports smart playlists or has a feature where I can listen to music based on folder? This way I can separate my music into 'Studying' vs 'Non-studying'.

工事中
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    I posted this in the SE++ tech thread, but I'll re-post it over here since it's relevant.
    zerzhul wrote: »
    So after almost two weeks with my new Moto X I definitely feel like I made the right choice. I saw all sorts of things online about "average" battery life, but I've been taking screenshots before bed from time to time and I usually have > 35% left when I go to bed after 17+ hours off the charger. I'm around power all day, but I have been specifically NOT plugging it in except at night. I have not once run out of juice. I got down to 10% when I went to bed on Sunday cause I had been watching NFL Redzone for 4 fucking hours during the day on my phone.

In addition to what seems like stellar battery life to me, it has been super responsive, and the in hand feel is just terrific. The screen always looks good and it's super easy to type on (shoutout to swiftkey, as usual). One thing that's interesting to me is that with the way the glass is at the edges (slightly curved down) you never have to touch an "edge" while you're working on the screen. It makes it feel almost soft? I guess? I don't know how to describe it exactly, but it's great.

Also I love being able to call it Jarvis and have it listen to me.

edit: I'm not sure how I forgot to mention this, but Moto Display is just the most killer thing ever. For years with android devices I have been using Light Flow, which I have evangelized for ages to anyone that asks as the best android app and most useful thing for a phone. Light Flow is a notification tool that lets you set up SERIOUSLY customized notifications, just SO customized in every way (varied vibration patterns, light colors, special tones, etc). Moto Display has left me not even thinking about Light Flow (to the point where I almost forgot to mention it here), and that was a thing I didn't think was possible after 5 years with smartphones.
    Sorry I still have no pictures. Been working dark to dark and I want to take them in the daylight with my DSLR.

One battery and data saving tip: keep facebook off your devices. It's a disease for smartphones.

zerzhul on
  • Options
    http://www.android.com/versions/lollipop-5-0/

http://www.google.com/nexus/6/
    http://www.google.com/nexus/9/
    http://www.google.com/nexus/player/

and of course after I talk about how much I love my moto x (which I totally do), there's another vzw nexus. Fuck you verizon.

• Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    Eh, when I consider the new Nexus as just a supersized version of my new Moto X, I don't mind. I wouldn't want a phone bigger than my Moto X, and I can't believe the spec bump over the X would make a big enough difference to make up for the unwieldiness of it.

Can't believe they made the Nexus 9 all square. Pretty much every other device in the world has gone to a 16:9 or 16:10 ratio, with the iPad line as the only non-widescreen holdouts, and now Google is taking a step backward. If will be hilarious if Apple now announces widescreen iPads.

• Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    Qi charging isn't going to be a thing anymore, is it? Ugh.

In other news, my S5 was unplugged at approximately 10:30am last Friday with a full charge.
    It's currently sitting at 34% remaining, 4d 23h 26m 23s on this charge.

Hot. Damn.

• Options
    kuhlmeyekuhlmeye Registered User regular
    I think my contract is up in December-ish, and I'm seriously considering going Nexus 6 over Note 4. This is a difficult choice.

PSN: the-K-flash
  • Options
    DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    Houn wrote: »

In other news, my S5 was unplugged at approximately 10:30am last Friday with a full charge.

Hot. Damn.

Wait, the Nexus 6 doesn't have wireless charging? Well... fuck.

I was going to buy one, but I guess not.

E: turns out that didn't matter. It's $650 for the 32GB.

Delmain on
  • Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    Work just bought me a Note 4 out of nowhere. That was a nice surprise.

I have the original MotoX currently which I've been quite happy with.

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    Delmain wrote: »
    Houn wrote: »

Hot. Damn.

Wait, the Nexus 6 doesn't have wireless charging? Well... fuck.

I was going to buy one, but I guess not.

E: turns out that didn't matter. It's $650 for the 32GB.

I didn't see it on the spec sheet, at least. Nor is it on the Moto X.

Which figures, because I just bought a Qi charger for my Nexus 4. No phone will ever use Qi again. Sorry, I ruined it for everyone, I guess.

• Options
    Droid-life was reporting that the n6 has wireless charging.

• Options
    Hey, no, the Nexus 6 supports wireless charging.

http://www.motorola.com/us/Nexus-6/nexus-6-motorola-us.html

Down at the bottom.

• Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    Welp, now I need to decide between the Note 4 and Nexus 6...I'm super curious about going with vanilla android but I kind of like the idea of a stylus (even though I'm pretty sure I will rarely use it).

This one is going to be tough.

Nexus 9 is interesting but I'd like to know it's resolution before buying one.

• Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    Personally, vanilla android is almost always preferable to Samsung's skinning and bloatware. You can always get a launcher replacement for the Note 4 though, so the differences in hardware may be more of a deciding factor.

That said, I'd get the Nexus 6 without a second thought if I wanted a phablet.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    It's not always easy to get stock android onto samsung devices, and even if you do, you'll never get stylus support. It will function as just a regular old capacitative stylus that happens to fit into the phone's housing.

Having owned the Note 1 and helped a cousin a lot with a Note 3, I feel I can safely say this is true.

• Options
    KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    The battery life posts here are mind boggling. I will use 25% in 45 minutes just browsing this site on my phone in the mornings.

• Options
    Here's today so far r2rdjnk5mbrr.png

• Options
    Krieghund wrote: »
    The battery life posts here are mind boggling. I will use 25% in 45 minutes just browsing this site on my phone in the mornings.

To be fair, I only really pull that phone out for one call a week and to occasionally check my work e-mail. My primary phone is a Nexus 4 and I generally charge it every night.

• Options
    KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular

I'm about the same, using N5

Also, anyone under whelmed by the N6? I like everything but the size

Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • Options
    a nu starta nu start Registered User regular
    As a Z Ultra owner, I quite like the Nexus 6. Too bad my Z Ultra is still a perfectly capable phone.

Number One Tricky
  • Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular

If you're at home, are you on WiFi? Also yes, 45 minutes of straight screen on time is a lot.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Ed GrubermanEd Gruberman Registered User regular

If you're battery life sucks, see if you can wipe the cache partition. My HTC One M7 had developed terrible battery life to the point where I was having to charge it up before I left work or it wouldn't even make it home (that's with me just doing the occasional browsing on wifi throughout the day).

After wiping, I'm back to normal and that leaves me at about 20% by the end of the day with no charging in between.

steam_sig.png

SteamID: edgruberman GOG Galaxy: EdGruberman
  • Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    Is there an offline navigation as nice as here maps for android?

Osmand has pretty poor performance and a totally shitty interface

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    ZiggymonZiggymon Registered User regular
    Kalkino wrote: »

I'm about the same, using N5

Also, anyone under whelmed by the N6? I like everything but the size

I just don't get why they have changed stance on the Nexus range? When the Nexus 4 and 2012 Nexus 7 got announced they were seen as powerful as the high end Android devices on the market but at a price that made it accessible for many without contract. These devices sold really well and now instead on continuing that idea, its suddenly become just another high end premium priced handset. With the 9 coming in at extremely close to iPad prices why would anyone except the most diehard android fan look there?

This discussion has been closed.