Options

Finally a new [Android] Thread

• Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    Palmary Weather is a great weather widget.

• Options
    CokebotleCokebotle 穴掘りの 電車内Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    Some other apps I use a lot are:
    - Better Open With (app to make the default 'Open with' screen a LOT better)
    - Link Bubble (loads up a web page link in a floating bubble so you don't get kicked out of your current app)
    - Power Toggles (can add extra toggles to the notification shade, homescreen, etc)
    - Pushbullet (sync notifications)
    - Delayed Lock (keeps my phone unlocked when connected to certain WiFi networks/Bluetooth devices)
    - PowerAmp for music
    - Authy for two-factor authentication
    - handyCalc/RealCalc for a calculator app
    - SimpleNote for quick notes

Edit:
    Went back to MightyText for SMS from Chrome. With Pushbullet, it looks like you can only reply so long as the notification is up. :\

Cokebotle on
    工事中
  • Options
    I'll second Mighty Text, that shit is legit. Especially if youre a student and take your laptop to class.

I also like Chrome to Phone, but thats a little less necessary since Chrome syncs across platforms now.

• Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    It has been the 26th for almost nine hours by US Eastern time reckoning (the only reckoning that matters) and I still cannot order a new Moto X from Verizon. I am extremely put out about this.

Edit: Never mind! I'm put back in!

Gaslight on
  • Options
    SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular
    Textra is my favorite SMS app. Nova launcher if you want a custom launcher. App Dialer because it's great.

• Options
    mare_imbriummare_imbrium Registered User regular
    when you make a phrase for the voice commands they want the room to be QUIET. Super quiet. I'm going to have to close myself in my car I think (bathroom will probably be too echo-y). I have tried a couple of things but they flip back and forth between it being an okay phrase but i'm going to have to "say it a few more times" or saying it's too short. I have been trying to think of what I can call the phone and not feel stupid saying. Jarvis is an obvious choice but I think I would feel silly. Then I thought it would be cool to call the phone Oracle, and say "okay Oracle" or something similar but apparently I have trouble enunciating that clearly. The other obvious option would be to call the phone Felicity, but that also might be kind of silly to say in front of others. Ooh, I could also go with just "computer." "Hello Computer" would amuse me.

v2zAToe.jpg
    Wii: 4521 1146 5179 1333 Pearl: 3394 4642 8367 HG: 1849 3913 3132
  • Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    I still prefer the John Scalzi method of "Hey Asshole" (Old Man's War)

• Options
    What's a good case for the new Moto X?

I want something with a minimum of added bulk, something classy looking, no Otterbox-esque soft rubber kiddie toy crap.

For reference, the only case I had for my Galaxy S4 that I liked (indeed the only case I've had that I like for any phone I've ever had) was the Spigen Neo Hybrid, but they don't appear to make anything for the Moto X.

• Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    Gaslight wrote: »
    What's a good case for the new Moto X?

I want something with a minimum of added bulk, something classy looking, no Otterbox-esque soft rubber kiddie toy crap.

For reference, the only case I had for my Galaxy S4 that I liked (indeed the only case I've had that I like for any phone I've ever had) was the Spigen Neo Hybrid, but they don't appear to make anything for the Moto X.
    There's some bumper cases in motomaker, although they're not super attractive. In general I would think a bumper case would be the best for minimum added bulk. The phone looks so good on its own, anything is going to take away from it.

• Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    I have the Moto X 2013 version of this case and after trying 3 different cases it's the nicest one. There doesn't seem to be one with a clear back yet if that's important to you, but here's the new version for the 2014 Moto X.

http://www.amazon.com/SUPCASE-Unicorn-Motorola-Release-Premium/dp/B00ETOEXFG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1411931807&sr=8-1&keywords=supcase+moto+x+2014

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    I'm trying to log into my Google account on my HTC Incredible (original one, so it runs 2.3.4) and I keep getting an incorrect password or username error despite both being correct. Can I no longer use older devices like this?

• Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    ugh, my phone has started randomly just restarting, usally when i am in the middle of something. think it might be time to pull the plug on a new one

On tmobile

hate samsung phones
    think that leaves me with the One M8, the N5, or the oneplus one if i can find an invite.

Though i think stuff is on the horizon right?

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    emp123 wrote: »
    I'm trying to log into my Google account on my HTC Incredible (original one, so it runs 2.3.4) and I keep getting an incorrect password or username error despite both being correct. Can I no longer use older devices like this?

My N5 has been doing that as well. Have to keep getting codes from Google

Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • Options
    DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    Thanks Geth

Delmain on
  • Options
    CokebotleCokebotle 穴掘りの 電車内Registered User regular
    mts wrote: »
    ugh, my phone has started randomly just restarting, usally when i am in the middle of something. think it might be time to pull the plug on a new one

On tmobile

hate samsung phones
    think that leaves me with the One M8, the N5, or the oneplus one if i can find an invite.

I think Sony is releasing their Z3 and Z3 Compact in the US, and there's talk of a new Nexus by the end of this month. Although it's supposedly going to be something massive like 5.9 inches, according to rumors.

工事中
  • Options
    CuvisTheConquerorCuvisTheConqueror They always say "yee haw" but they never ask "haw yee?" Registered User regular
    emp123 wrote: »

Are you using two-factor authentication? If so, then you need to create an app password and use that.

xderwsaxganu.png
  • Options
    CuvisTheConquerorCuvisTheConqueror They always say "yee haw" but they never ask "haw yee?" Registered User regular
    mts wrote: »

On tmobile

hate samsung phones

The Moto X is also an option, though it's on backorder right now.

xderwsaxganu.png
  • Options
    Awesome, thanks guys, the app specific password worked. So many apps to update.

• Options
    man, hadnt actually seen the moto x or the z3

both look pretty sweet.

how much skinning is on the moto x? i am used to stock android

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    Basically no skinning at all. The only visible change are the active notifications on the lock screen.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    Cormac wrote: »
    Basically no skinning at all. The only visible change are the active notifications on the lock screen.

oooh. well I am hoping the z3 comes out soon, but that might have jumped up towards the top of my list.

now to compare the x to the N5

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    hnnnggg this moto x is fabulous. Got mine yesterday and I can't stop just messing around with it. The moto active display is great. And yeah, no skinning really, just the moto display stuff which is great anyhow.

• Options
    I've only had it five days but my new Moto X is easily my favorite phone I've ever owned.

• Options
    edited October 2014
    yea, i am slowly thinking i should just get the x. mostly because the wood backs look amazing.

are they actually wood? or just plastic wood?
    edit: apparently actual wood

mts on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    I have the original Moto X and the girl has the new one. I prefer mine (mostly for the size) but both are great. The active display is awesome - easy to just tilt the phone up from the table to see if you've gotten a text if you're waiting for one. The at-any-time voice command thing is cool too.

The back is actual wood on hers - I have the black one though. Since I wanted a case the wood back seemed extraneous.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Being able to customize the anytime wakeup phrase is terrific. My phone is crimson with gold trim, the boot screen says "Stark Industries", and my wakeup phrase includes the word Jarvis.

• Options
    It didn't even take me 5 days to say that the N5 was my favorite phone ever, so I kinda get it.

• Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    zerzhul wrote: »
    Being able to customize the anytime wakeup phrase is terrific. My phone is crimson with gold trim, the boot screen says "Stark Industries", and my wakeup phrase includes the word Jarvis.

Wait, I don't have to stick with "ok google"? Man the possibilities...

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options

On the new Moto X the command phrase can be anything you want.

• Options
    Gaslight wrote: »

On the new Moto X the command phrase can be anything you want.

Am I out of luck on Gen1 Moto X?

Zdy0pmg.jpg
  • Options
    I have no clue. It's contained within the moto voice app. You could go in there and check? When I go in there on my gen 2 moto X, there's a checkbox for using "ok google now" or using your own phrase.

• Options
    edited October 2014
    82sw1bb3pb3m.png
    So this setting that says nope?

bloodatonement on
    Zdy0pmg.jpg
  • Options
    82sw1bb3pb3m.png
    So this setting that says nope?

Naw, that setting is just for where to listen for the voice command, not what the voice command actually is.

• Options
    edited October 2014
    Can't locate it. Can you give me step by step instructions for finding that setting?

I think i found it. Settings>touchless control> retrain phrase

Edit: Nope that still not it

bloodatonement on
    Zdy0pmg.jpg
  • Options
    No, I'm saying that I think you don't have it.

I'm on an N5 and I can't change it from "Ok, Google"

• Options
    Oh. OK darn.

Zdy0pmg.jpg
  • Options
    Yeah, on the new moto x, there is an app called "moto". Inside that, there's "voice" and that's where you can change it.

• Options
    Ah, from Moto Voice play page:
    On your new Moto X (2nd generation), there’s even more:
    To make Moto Voice more personal to you, create your own launch phrase, like “Hello Moto X” and teach it your voice. Say “Play Beethoven on YouTube” to play music videos on YouTube. You can also interact with your favorite apps like Facebook and WhatsApp with your voice.

For Moto X (1st generation), Droid Maxx, Droid Mini, and Droid Ultra users, stay tuned for updates to Moto Voice / Touchless Control soon.

Zdy0pmg.jpg
  • Options
    @zerzhul got any shots of your iron man moto x?

Zdy0pmg.jpg
  • Options
    I haven't yet, no. I'll try to get some tomorrow in the daylight.

This discussion has been closed.