unfffffffffffff

Reminds me a lot of the siren's song in o brother

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    Nova_C wrote: »
    So, when people talk about how terrible Yahoo News is at reporting news, am I being pedantic when I point out that Yahoo is just a feed and doesn't actually write any of the articles themselves?

A bit, yeah. I mean, technically the person should have said "yahoo news is terrible at aggregating news" then.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Okay, I will admit that it's possible to not make a shit steak by searing last.

But I will not admit it is the better way or even something that's not made up just to sound provocative.

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    So It Goes wrote: »
    I think I have a serious case of the sads today

good lord

Someone asked me what I do when I'm not at work.

I couldn't think of an answer.

The week is the worst.

You should get some hobbies!

I played a lot of minecraft there for a while.

But I'm kind of bored with that. I ordered a new power cable for my xbox (my mom let my sister's dog eat it while I was in Scotland) so that'll at least be "something".

I try to write, but soooooooooooooooo braindead/

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    why would you want meat that is perfectly cooked evenly from edge to edge

you want it pinker in the middle

i mean, you know

unless you're just terrible

• Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    When I first heard the siren song I played that shit on repeat for like a solid day

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NStkWiuYwqw

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    I should probably look up how varied human diets were during the pre-agricultural and pastoral period.

• Options

good lord

The week is the worst.

But I'm kind of bored with that. I ordered a new power cable for my xbox (my mom let my sister's dog eat it while I was in Scotland) so that'll at least be "something".

You should gym it up some! Everyone should, really. :D

• Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    Eddy wrote: »
    http://www.yo utube.com/watch?v=KGsfDKSFC-8

unfffffffffffff

Reminds me a lot of the siren's song in o brother
    Yeah I was thinking the same thing last night!

• Options
    Allison Kraus is amazing. Nickel Creek worked a bunch on that album and they and it are amazing also. I fucking love Newgrass.

• Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    WHEN I ASKED

FOR SONS

you're the saddest bunch I've ever seen

• Options
    eddy's twitter picture looks eerily like a picture of podly

but with a more overbearing mother

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Is it really Newgrass anymore?

It's been, like, fifteen years.

• Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    Chanus wrote: »
    Okay, I will admit that it's possible to not make a shit steak by searing last.

But I will not admit it is the better way or even something that's not made up just to sound provocative.

0.jpg

• Options
    There was one point where the "I went down to the river to pray" song from o brother was part of the starbucks music rotation for some reason.

I had far too much fun singing along to that while serving up drinks to customers.

Though not as much fun as I had shaking my booty when Gorillaz's song that... uh... that winky's avatar was from (totally spacing on the name) was part of the rotation.

Gotta earn dat tip money!

• Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    [Pallias'] paper was, I thought, a clever use of a field experiment (and I freely admit by bias in favor of theoretically sound field experiments rather than laboratory exercises when considering empirical quantities).

Here’s the basic theoretical problem. There are a bunch of candidates for a job, some young and some old. The old workers have had their productivity revealed to some extent by their past job experience. For young workers, employers can only see a very noisy signal of their productivity. It involves a small cost to hire workers; they must be trained, etc. In equilibrium, firms will hire young workers who have expected productivity above the firm’s cost. Is this socially efficient? No, because of a simple information externality. The social planner would hire all young workers whose productivity plus the value of information revealed during their young tenure is above the firm’s cost. That is, private firms will not take into account that their hiring of a worker creates a positive externality from information that allows for better worker-firm matches in future periods. If young workers could pay firms to work for them, then this might fix the problem to some extent, though in general such arrangements are not legal (though on this point, see my comment in the final paragraph). Perhaps this might explain the high levels of unemployment among the young, and the fact that absence from the labour market for young workers at the start of their career is particularly damaging?

How important is this? It’s tough in a lot of real world data to separate the benefits to workers of having their underlying revealed by early job experience from workers upgrading their skills during their first job. It is also tough to see the general equilibrium effects: if the government assists some young workers in getting hired, does this lead to less unemployment among young workers in future periods or do these assisted workers simply crowd out others that would have been hired in the absence of the intervention? Pallais uses an online job market similar to mechanical turk. Basically, on the site you can hire workers to perform small tasks like data entry. They request a wage and you can hire them or not. Previous hires are public, as are optional ratings and comments by the employers. Empirical data on past interventions is somewhat ambiguous.

Pallais hires a huge number of workers to do data entry. She randomly divides the applicants into three groups: those she doesn’t hire, those she hires and gives only minimal feedback, and those she hires and provides detailed comments. The task is ten hours of simple data entry with no training, so it’s tough to imagine anyone would infer the workers’ underlying human capital has improved. Other employers can see that Pallais has made a hire as soon as the contract begins, but the comments are added later; there is no effect on workers’ job offers until after the comments appear. And the effect appears substantial. Just being hired and getting a brief comment has a small impact on worker’s future wages and employment. A longer, positive comment has what looks like an enormous impact on the worker’s future employment and wages. Though the treatment does lower wages received by other people on data entry jobs by increasing the supply of certified workers, the overall increase in welfare from more hiring of young workers trumps the lower wages.

Interesting, but two comments. First, for some reason the draft of this paper I read seems to suggest some sort of idea that this sorting is good for workers, if only between the lines. But it needn’t be so! A simple model: all firms are identical, and have cost .4 of hiring a worker. Workers have skills drawn from a uniform [0,1] distribution. No signals are received in the first period. Therefore, all workers have expected skill .5, and all are hired at wage .1 (by the no profit condition in a competitive labour demand market). After the first hiring, skill level is completely revealed. Therefore, only 60% of workers are hired in the second period, at a wage equal to their skill minus .4. A policy that ex-ante would have revealed the skill of young workers would have decreased employment among young workers by 40 percent! Note that this would be the efficient outcome, so a social planner who cares about total welfare would still want to reveal the skill, even though the social planner who cares only about employment would not do so.

Second, to the extent that skill revelation is important, young workers with private information about their skills ought self-select. Those who believe themselves to be high type should choose jobs which frequently throw off public signals about their underlying quality (i.e., firms that promote good young folks quickly, industries like sales with easily verifiable output, etc.). Those who believe themselves low type should select into jobs without such signals. If everyone is rational and knows their own type, you can see some unravelling will happen here. What has the empirical career concerns literature learned about such selection?

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    I thought searing after was a given

• Options
    Ig67I.gif

• Options

good lord

The week is the worst.

i can't because i have broken wrist tendons

thanks for rubbing it in though

• Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    WHEN I ASKED

FOR SONS

you're the saddest bunch I've ever seen
    I will instruct you and teach you in the way you should go, I will
    counsel you and watch over you.
    - Psalm 32:8

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
  • Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    desc wrote: »
    I thought searing after was a given

we live in a debased and brutish age

• Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular

good lord

The week is the worst.

Gyms cost money, Inqui!

I have started going for jogs lately though.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options

we're talking about cas eddy right

• Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    Nova_C wrote: »
    So, when people talk about how terrible Yahoo News is at reporting news, am I being pedantic when I point out that Yahoo is just a feed and doesn't actually write any of the articles themselves?

A bit, yeah. I mean, technically the person should have said "yahoo news is terrible at aggregating news" then.

Eh, I guess I just don't understand why they expect an aggregate, like Yahoo, to actually improve the quality of the articles. Like, the criticisms are about spelling or grammar mistakes, or that Yahoo News is stupid for thinking that the subject is worth reporting on.

Like, I don't think Yahoo is choosing the articles in their feeds by hand, or proofreading them.

• Options
    Allison Kraus is amazing. Nickel Creek worked a bunch on that album and they and it are amazing also. I fucking love Newgrass.

allison krauss is civilization

• Options

good lord

The week is the worst.

You can still do legs!

• Options
    There was one point where the "I went down to the river to pray" song from o brother was part of the starbucks music rotation for some reason.

I had far too much fun singing along to that while serving up drinks to customers.

Though not as much fun as I had shaking my booty when Gorillaz's song that... uh... that winky's avatar was from (totally spacing on the name) was part of the rotation.

Gotta earn dat tip money!
    You seem like the archetype of person to be a starbucks barrista. I mean this in a good way.

• Options

we're talking about cas eddy right

no cas eddy looks like mel gibson

podly is caucasian eddy

• Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    Let's all hire each other, then write long testimonials as to how awesome we are.

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    fuck illness

Peace to fashion police, I wear my heart
    On my sleeve, let the runway start
  • Options

good lord

The week is the worst.

Gyms cost money, Inqui!

I am spoiled by the costs of gym here. 200 yen a visit!

• Options

good lord

The week is the worst.

You can still do legs!

my knees are kinda fucked up too actually

a while back my right knee totally gave out

• Options
    desc wrote: »

allison krauss is civilization
    She is the Meryl Streep of the music world. GIVE HER ALL DEM GRAMMY.

• Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular

good lord

The week is the worst.

that keeps you from running you scrub?!

• Options
    i have a gym in my building along with squash courts

and i can't use them now

because of my fucking tendons

• Options

good lord

The week is the worst.

Gyms cost money, Inqui!

I am spoiled by the costs of gym here. 200 yen a visit!

What's that in not Fun Money?

• Options
    Academia wrote: »
    Let's all hire each other, then write long testimonials as to how awesome we are.

• Options

good lord

The week is the worst.

You can still do legs!

my knees are kinda fucked up too actually

a while back my right knee totally gave out

Core exercises!

• Options