As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Debt Ceiling Debacle 2013: It's the End of the World As We Know It and the GOP Feels Fine

1161718192022»

• Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    Medicare will get more expensive over the next decade, and then start dropping off as boomers die.

It is hardly a fundamental crisis.

Without raising revenue to compensate, they will do a lot of damage before they die out though. Medicare isn't the problem, it's being cavalier and not raising the money to pay for it that is. The GOP wants to cut spending instead of raising revenues, but the bottom line is that major spends like Medicare just aren't susceptible to short or even medium term cuts, and the costs are mostly in that short- medium range. We could make cuts, but the only major coat center with room is in the military, and we know how they feel about that.

You'll get no argument from me that taxes need to be higher, that's why I voted for Democrats! I'm just saying that people like to say that Medicare is fundamentally flawed, and it isn't. Baby Boomers are just fundamentally greedy.

The "fundamental flaw" is that they're finally going to have to pay for something themselves.