As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Industry Thread] Impossible Games sets the speed record for studio closure

• Options
    plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    So this is a thing: Ubisoft montpellier employees have posted photos of their team (including Michael Ancel) infront of a banner advocating WiiU version be put out on the original timeframe.
    223566_4711041648549_331450370_n.jpg
    65236_4711153171337_960545030_n.jpg
    That's got to be the most public a development team has been about their unhappiness with a publisher has been in a long time, especially in the middle of the project!

So, do they all lose their jobs now?

edit: trying to determine the source of those photos though, found them on GAF, but... well, there is a chance it could be shopped onto older photos since it isn't hard to change the writing on a white piece of paper, and image two has them infront of an older games poster.

Hm.

plufim on
    3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Wasn't it a Ubi employee who said they were pissed that they had crunch time to get the game out and a few weeks before it's scheduled to be released they get a 6 month extension?

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    It was, but that was posted somewhat annonymously, and as such could be accused of being made up.

This though, this is ouright defiance.

Oh, and it looks like a new model Vita is on the horizon: 4G, HDMI out.

http://gamerxchange.net/2013/02/04/rumor-4g-vita-plus-firmware-update-to-be-revealed-soon/

If that is all this february 20th meeting is for, there will be meltdowns.

plufim on
    3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RandomHajileRandomHajile Not actually a Snatcher The New KremlinRegistered User regular
    But man, what if it was the WWE? Tecmo turning heel and smashing Nintendo over the head with a chair? I'd watch that.

• Options
    plufim wrote: »
    It was, but that was posted somewhat annonymously, and as such could be accused of being made up.

http://gamerxchange.net/2013/02/04/rumor-4g-vita-plus-firmware-update-to-be-revealed-soon/

Certainly would have helped people do Quick looks and LPs and stuff if they had had video out this whole time.

I don't see anything about HDMI on the blog post though.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    Just rip out the non wifi connectivity altogether.

Pretty sure anyone who is buying a Vita also has a phone they would rather use for internet.

Oh Sony, I'm sure it will come in a silly bundle too.

Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    edzeppedzepp Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    Well, good on the Ubisoft guys, if that's for real.

edzepp on
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Darth_Mogs wrote: »
    Razor's Edge is kind of a weird example since it's essentially just a re-do of a game that was released on PS3 and 360 first, though.

Nintendo may have wanted to think twice about paying for an (improved) port of an awful game in the first place. Still, gotta' flesh out that launch line.

• Options
    vegeta_666vegeta_666 CanadaRegistered User regular

Also: a rumored firmware update providing a lot of requested features like folders for organizing apps and, a price drop on memory cards.

If those two are true I will be a happy Vita owner.

(I already am a happy Vita owner, but, those memory card prices are super dumb.)

Sob24Nm.png
    Steam: abunchofdaftpunk | PSN: noautomobilesgo | Lastfm: sjchszeppelin | Backloggery: colincummings | 3DS FC: 1392-6019-0219 |
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    vegeta_666 wrote: »

Also: a rumored firmware update providing a lot of requested features like folders for organizing apps and, a price drop on memory cards.

If those two are true I will be a happy Vita owner.

(I already am a happy Vita owner, but, those memory card prices are super dumb.)

It was a valid complaint against what (at least to me) seemed like a very impressive piece of hardware--that had no internal storage as far as I know.

• Options
    TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular

rage building...

• Options
    EVOLEVOL Registered User regular
    That's incredibly ballsy of them. Is their team valuable enough for Ubisoft to left this go, or are they considered expendable? I really hope it's the former.

• Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular

Certainly would have helped people do Quick looks and LPs and stuff if they had had video out this whole time.

I don't see anything about HDMI on the blog post though.

The HDMI port is a separate rumour based on a patent filed in... Wait for it... 2011. It's the Vita dev kit. And I wouldn't trust the other rumours either, seeing as it's just a random blog.

Sony certainly do need to do something about the Vita (though I'm quite happy with mine, as an almost purely niche game system), but doing it at the event they're announcing the PS4 would be a bad idea, as it'd be over-shadowed. What they need to do is save up as many announcements as they can (especially system/memory card price drops and game announcements), announce them at a specific time and essentially re-launch the system. It's nowhere near impossible but it will take effort, which is something that's been completely lacking with Sony's treatment of the Vita.
    But man, what if it was the WWE? Tecmo turning heel and smashing Nintendo over the head with a chair? I'd watch that.

If it were, there'd be another video game crash, because the WWE makes no sense at all.

Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    mantis23mantis23 Registered User regular
    I really hope the rumor about the next Xbox requiring the Kinect sensor to be plugged in at all times is not true. That would push it from a day one purchase to no purchase for me. My consoles are a good 50 feet and one room over from where the screen is so it's not really kinect friendly.

I understand that I'm in the vast minority here with my setup but I really enjoyed my 360 and this would be a sad turn of events indeed.

0y6kx4rwubui.jpg
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    mantis23 wrote: »
    I really hope the rumor about the next Xbox requiring the Kinect sensor to be plugged in at all times is not true. That would push it from a day one purchase to no purchase for me. My consoles are a good 50 feet and one room over from where the screen is so it's not really kinect friendly.

I understand that I'm in the vast minority here with my setup but I really enjoyed my 360 and this would be a sad turn of events indeed.

Surely you could just hire another servant to relay your actions and voice commands to the sensor? Maybe get the one who changes discs for you to tit about in front of it when he's not busy?

forumsig.png
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Yeah, I wouldn't be a fan of having Kinect plugged in all the time, especially since not everyone has the space available for the thing. I have a feeling it's something Microsoft would do... ah well, maybe they'll fix the thing so you don't need a football field. I'm also hoping that the "installation" thing is just for non-optimized dev kits, since having to install things on the PS3 is a major pain in the ass. We'll see how things shake out. But I have read in other places that Microsoft is very interested in having the 720 be very much like Windows 8 (well, more than the 360 is now) and given how they've been notMetro-izing everything, that's not a shocker.

So Aliens: Colonial Marines is out and is getting crap reviews... people are saying it's buggy and unfinished. What happenedl? Well:
    Someone claiming to have worked for Gearbox warned over a year ago that development on Aliens: Colonial Marines was a "trainwreck", as the majority of the game was reportedly outsourced.

Following a slew of less-than-flattering reviews for the game, internet sleuth Superannuation has uncovered some forum posts made around this time last year in which a person purporting to be an ex-Gearbox software dev warns fans not to get their hopes up for the game.

"Hate to say it, but I wouldn’t get your hopes up too high for Colonial Marines," he wrote in May 2012. "I used to work at Gearbox, and the development of that game has been a total train wreck, going on what, 6 years now?

"Gearbox isn’t even making the game, except for the multiplayer. Primary development was outsourced to TimeGate Studios, which has a less than stellar past. I hope it proves me wrong, as I still have a lot of friends still working at Gearbox, but I am expecting it to be average at best."

As well as TimeGate, other studios credited on Colonial Marines include Demiurge Studios and Nerve Software. In an interview with IGN, Randy Pitchford explained what each studio did, saying that TimeGate worked on “probably about 20 or 25 percent of the total time" of the game.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/02/12/how-much-of-aliens-colonial-marines-did-gearbox-actually-make

That's odd. How could Gearbox do so well with Borderlands 2 but botch Aliens so badly?

At any rate, looks like one of Sega's new "pillars" just toppled.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular

I wonder if they'd just go and make the Kinect 2 wireless.

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    Weird that Colonial Marines isn't doing better, Gearbox seems to have such a good handle on what the aliens are all about.

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    reVerse wrote: »
    Weird that Colonial Marines isn't doing better, Gearbox seems to have such a good handle on what the aliens are all about.

Oh god there needs to be a caption on that as the alien walks by. I totally had an alien voice pop into my head saying "Hey how ya doin'." as he turned the corner.

• Options

I'm not well versed enough in the Aliens lore, but isn't one of the few things Gearbox is supposed to be praised for in this game the fact that they brought some of the lesser seen xenomorph species into this game?

steam_sig.png

• Options
    And to think, they cancelled Obsidian's Aliens RPG that I would have actually been interested in.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    Mego ThorMego Thor "I say thee...NAY!" Registered User regular

"Sorry pal, no time to mess around. I'm late for calculus class!"

kyrcl.png
  • Options
    KryhsKryhs Registered User regular
    I'm in the "no, I will not put up with having a Kinect online all the time" camp. Though really I refuse to have one at all.

I seriously doubt it will be a requirement because average people hate even the concept of being watched. There's a reason the WiiU has a button to turn off the camera on the tablet.

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    I bought a Kinect. My wife and I played it, I think twice. Have not turned it back on again since. Luckily, I bought it used and only paid $50, but still want that $50 back.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular

I am unfamiliar with this rumor. Is it that you have to have a Kinect, and have the Kinect always on to properly use the new console? Kinect is the dumbest thing... if I'm forced into it, I will seriously reconsider purchasing the new MS console...

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    AllforceAllforce Registered User regular
    Yeah supposedly the New Xbox requires it to be connected to even operate. Im like the guy above, have everything hooked up in the back of the room with a projector/screen setup so I've already had to run a ridiculous 50 foot USB cable and repeater around the entire room now to get Kinect going on the 360.

I'm going to assume it won't even use USB this time since it'll be bundled in like the one with the XBox Slim with that weird little proprietary connector.

• Options
    Ugh... how awful.

"Hey, here's our new console. In order to use it, you have to use this worthless hunk of plastic that does nothing worthwhile"

I really hope the WiiU's 3rd party prospects are looking up by the end of the year. Otherwise, I'll probably end up a PS4 Orby guy.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    That's odd. How could Gearbox do so well with Borderlands 2 but botch Aliens so badly?

Because they were making Borderlands 2 instead of Aliens.

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Allforce wrote: »
    Yeah supposedly the New Xbox requires it to be connected to even operate. Im like the guy above, have everything hooked up in the back of the room with a projector/screen setup so I've already had to run a ridiculous 50 foot USB cable and repeater around the entire room now to get Kinect going on the 360.

I'm going to assume it won't even use USB this time since it'll be bundled in like the one with the XBox Slim with that weird little proprietary connector.

Well, maybe you can just plug it in and let it sit there on top of the XBox, but never actually use it.

LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    I got burned so bad by the latest AvP game, I said to myself "It's Gearbox, but you still have to wait for reviews before buying it".

• Options
    BlindPsychicBlindPsychic Registered User regular

I'm not well versed enough in the Aliens lore, but isn't one of the few things Gearbox is supposed to be praised for in this game the fact that they brought some of the lesser seen xenomorph species into this game?
    They just took the L4D zombies and made them aliens

• Options

They just took the L4D zombies and made them aliens

They also removed the AI and gave them one path.

LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options
    FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »

Because most of the work was done by TimeGate Studios, not Gearbox themselves.

Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
  • Options
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    Allforce wrote: »

Well, maybe you can just plug it in and let it sit there on top of the XBox, but never actually use it.

Fingers crossed.

• Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    Foomy wrote: »
    Magic Pink wrote: »

Because most of the work was done by TimeGate Studios, not Gearbox themselves.

There will be a total shitstorm over that in the coming week I feel.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Fail posting.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Sigh.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Hey guys I think there will be a total shitstorm over that in the coming week, Aegeri feels

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    edited February 2013

As long as AT&T will still be strangling you with a 250MB/3GB data cap, this a completely fucking pointless change.

Donnicton on
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Yeah, I wouldn't be a fan of having Kinect plugged in all the time, especially since not everyone has the space available for the thing. I have a feeling it's something Microsoft would do... ah well, maybe they'll fix the thing so you don't need a football field. I'm also hoping that the "installation" thing is just for non-optimized dev kits, since having to install things on the PS3 is a major pain in the ass. We'll see how things shake out. But I have read in other places that Microsoft is very interested in having the 720 be very much like Windows 8 (well, more than the 360 is now) and given how they've been notMetro-izing everything, that's not a shocker.

So Aliens: Colonial Marines is out and is getting crap reviews... people are saying it's buggy and unfinished. What happenedl? Well:
    Someone claiming to have worked for Gearbox warned over a year ago that development on Aliens: Colonial Marines was a "trainwreck", as the majority of the game was reportedly outsourced.

Following a slew of less-than-flattering reviews for the game, internet sleuth Superannuation has uncovered some forum posts made around this time last year in which a person purporting to be an ex-Gearbox software dev warns fans not to get their hopes up for the game.

"Hate to say it, but I wouldn’t get your hopes up too high for Colonial Marines," he wrote in May 2012. "I used to work at Gearbox, and the development of that game has been a total train wreck, going on what, 6 years now?

"Gearbox isn’t even making the game, except for the multiplayer. Primary development was outsourced to TimeGate Studios, which has a less than stellar past. I hope it proves me wrong, as I still have a lot of friends still working at Gearbox, but I am expecting it to be average at best."

As well as TimeGate, other studios credited on Colonial Marines include Demiurge Studios and Nerve Software. In an interview with IGN, Randy Pitchford explained what each studio did, saying that TimeGate worked on “probably about 20 or 25 percent of the total time" of the game.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/02/12/how-much-of-aliens-colonial-marines-did-gearbox-actually-make

At any rate, looks like one of Sega's new "pillars" just toppled.

Now I completely understand why the Wii U version was delayed.

At least Aliens Infestation was good.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
This discussion has been closed.