As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PA Comic] Wednesday, January 16, 2013 - Simulacra

• Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    Quid wrote: »
    The Paul wrote: »
    Some people can't tell the difference between believing something doesn't exist, and believing something is rare enough that there's no point in making any special efforts or preparations as regards it.
    Pony wrote: »
    There is a difference -- a huge difference -- between people who like specific elements of geek culture, and those who have absolutely NO interest in ANY part of geek culture, but deliberately feign interest in such for the sole purpose of fame or financial gain. And such people do exist
    Jars wrote: »
    it might have something to do with the 'true nerds' now having to share their hobby with the very same people that tormented them in high school because it became a lot more mainstream

.. and what better chance for reconciliation, than to know you now share common interests with someone who used to torment you, and you might have the chance to make an enemy out of a friend? It's not as if there aren't bullies even within "Real X subculture". A profoundly aggravating memory from my time playing serious chess is that people would use your ability at chess as a social yardstick. Like I get if two top end players want to go over a game at a level I can't understand without being disturbed, but just because you're two classes higher rated than me, that doesn't mean that my opinions about politics or literature or other unrelated topics are automatically meritless.

However, I stand by my claim that there is a useful definition of a "fake gamer" as detailed above, and it isn't about how deep your passion goes, but whether or not you're pretending to have one for an ulterior motive. Or to steal from Fight Club, you don't have to have giant-ass man-boobs like Robert Paulsen to hang around Men Remaining Men, but I'll damn sure call out Tyler and Marla for what they are.

who are you calling out

can you give an example, Grand Inquisitor?

I mean, if it's this pervasive a problem that you feel the need to stamp your feet and say NO MORE, then you should be able to illustrate an example of this, no?

Not some kind of generic "the sort of people who..."

You're on the internet. Provide links.

Do you deny that there exist people who feign interest in a hobby (while actually having none) for ulterior motives such as fame or financial gain?

Nosf wrote: »
    The only way I could care about the fake geek girl thing (or fake geek boy) is if they were using it to gain some personal advantage through duplicity. I think everyone could imagine a scenario where someone feigned interest in something to get what they wanted, be that gaming, sports or what have you.

Pony can't, apparently.

AlphaLackey can't, apparently.

No, what I "can't do" is be bothered to deal in good faith with those incapable of answering a simple question or following a basic argument to its logical conclusion.

I claim A) that such people as i've described exist and B) one can righteously call such people fake, therefore the claim "you can never be right in judging anyone's interest as fake" is false.

Do you deny that A is true? Do you deny that B is true? Do you believe A and B are both true, but the conclusion does not necessarily follow?

Please do not respond with anything but a direct answer to one of those questions, in a form that will allow the argument to proceed in a rational manner.

I'd be willing to admit it's technically feasible.

I mean, it's also technically feasible that I would go out, buy a jersey, and hit the local sports bar to feign interest in a sport I have no real desire to watch. Thus duping everyone at the bar in to thinking I like football.

It's just that there would literally be no point in doing this. At all. I could spend that jersey money at a gastro pub on the things I truly like doing like eating too much gruyere.

So could we get examples of this existing and being a problem now please?

For the record, I said nothing about whether it was a problem, the severity, or how it manifests itself whether they be amateurs or professionals. All I sought to do was disprove an absolute statement with an edge case; and yes, I know that edge cases tend to be nitpicky, which is a testament to just how weak an argument from an absolute position is.

There have already been several examples given in this thread, and nothing about the fact that they are "paid actors" changes my argument in any way, shape or form. They are people who feign interest in a hobby, where they actually have none, for purposes of fame or financial gain. They exist, argument from absolute disproven, QED.

If we are now refining the argument to strictly within a social setting, is it really a stretch to think that adults feign an interest in a hobby to curry the favor of someone they have the fancy for? If so, this would be the only self-centered human social behavior I'm aware of that comes to a dead stop after high school.

I'd quote from my own experiences, but don't want to give anyone the satisfaction of baaing out that "the plural of anecdote is not data".

So this is pedantry, what you're doing here? You're like "But I'm technically correct!"

You have yet to provide a concrete example and until you do, your claims are spurious.

Pony on
  • Options
    AlphaLackeyAlphaLackey Registered User regular
    Some people can't tell the difference between believing something doesn't exist, and believing something is rare enough that there's no point in making any special efforts or preparations as regards it.
    There is a difference -- a huge difference -- between people who like specific elements of geek culture, and those who have absolutely NO interest in ANY part of geek culture, but deliberately feign interest in such for the sole purpose of fame or financial gain. And such people do exist
    it might have something to do with the 'true nerds' now having to share their hobby with the very same people that tormented them in high school because it became a lot more mainstream

.. and what better chance for reconciliation, than to know you now share common interests with someone who used to torment you, and you might have the chance to make an enemy out of a friend? It's not as if there aren't bullies even within "Real X subculture". A profoundly aggravating memory from my time playing serious chess is that people would use your ability at chess as a social yardstick. Like I get if two top end players want to go over a game at a level I can't understand without being disturbed, but just because you're two classes higher rated than me, that doesn't mean that my opinions about politics or literature or other unrelated topics are automatically meritless.

However, I stand by my claim that there is a useful definition of a "fake gamer" as detailed above, and it isn't about how deep your passion goes, but whether or not you're pretending to have one for an ulterior motive. Or to steal from Fight Club, you don't have to have giant-ass man-boobs like Robert Paulsen to hang around Men Remaining Men, but I'll damn sure call out Tyler and Marla for what they are.

who are you calling out

I mean, if it's this pervasive a problem that you feel the need to stamp your feet and say NO MORE, then you should be able to illustrate an example of this, no?

Do you deny that there exist people who feign interest in a hobby (while actually having none) for ulterior motives such as fame or financial gain?

The only way I could care about the fake geek girl thing (or fake geek boy) is if they were using it to gain some personal advantage through duplicity. I think everyone could imagine a scenario where someone feigned interest in something to get what they wanted, be that gaming, sports or what have you.

Pony can't, apparently.

No, what I "can't do" is be bothered to deal in good faith with those incapable of answering a simple question or following a basic argument to its logical conclusion.

I claim A) that such people as i've described exist and B) one can righteously call such people fake, therefore the claim "you can never be right in judging anyone's interest as fake" is false.

Do you deny that A is true? Do you deny that B is true? Do you believe A and B are both true, but the conclusion does not necessarily follow?

Please do not respond with anything but a direct answer to one of those questions, in a form that will allow the argument to proceed in a rational manner.

I mean, it's also technically feasible that I would go out, buy a jersey, and hit the local sports bar to feign interest in a sport I have no real desire to watch. Thus duping everyone at the bar in to thinking I like football.

It's just that there would literally be no point in doing this. At all. I could spend that jersey money at a gastro pub on the things I truly like doing like eating too much gruyere.

For the record, I said nothing about whether it was a problem, the severity, or how it manifests itself whether they be amateurs or professionals. All I sought to do was disprove an absolute statement with an edge case; and yes, I know that edge cases tend to be nitpicky, which is a testament to just how weak an argument from an absolute position is.

There have already been several examples given in this thread, and nothing about the fact that they are "paid actors" changes my argument in any way, shape or form. They are people who feign interest in a hobby, where they actually have none, for purposes of fame or financial gain. They exist, argument from absolute disproven, QED.

If we are now refining the argument to strictly within a social setting, is it really a stretch to think that adults feign an interest in a hobby to curry the favor of someone they have the fancy for? If so, this would be the only self-centered human social behavior I'm aware of that comes to a dead stop after high school.

I'd quote from my own experiences, but don't want to give anyone the satisfaction of baaing out that "the plural of anecdote is not data".

So this is pedantry, what you're doing here? You're like "But I'm technically correct!"

You have yet to provide a concrete example and until you do, your claims are spurious.

There have been several examples already provided in this thread. Read them. I'm not wasting my time dealing with the likes of you.

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Ah so you were going for technically right and not actually contribute anything.

I'll be sure to assume the same with future posts.

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    Aisha Tyler was fucking embarrassing at Ubisoft's E3 presentation.

I fucking hope she's a "fake geek girl," because I will think so much less of her if comments like "girl wood" were said with complete sincerity. It was a childish, shameful display, and if that represents geek "culture," then I warmly open the gates to our imagined barbarians.

If people want to call her out for being a bad performer, fine. If they want to call her out for being inauthentically interested in games, well...
    JOgJS.jpg

Lots of people ragged on James Franco for his shitty performance hosting the Oscars, but no one decided that it was because he's not actually serious about movies.

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular

I fucking hope she's a "fake geek girl," because I will think so much less of her if comments like "girl wood" were said with complete sincerity. It was a childish, shameful display, and if that represents geek "culture," then I warmly open the gates to our imagined barbarians.

I thought Tube had this covered here:
    Youtube has shown us that liking video games doesn't mean you can successfully present to camera.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options

who are you calling out

Pony can't, apparently.

There have been several examples already provided in this thread. Read them. I'm not wasting my time dealing with the likes of you.

There were no examples provided, actually. None that weren't professional media or marketing personas created by people who want money, at any rate.

• Options
    Like if AlphaLackey can deign to talk at me but not to me and answer my question, then anyone else can feel free to answer the specter he raised: Who are these fake gamer girls? Give examples, actual concrete examples. This is the internet, you can literally lead me to evidence. Do so.

• Options
    TarranonTarranon Registered User regular

who are you calling out

Pony can't, apparently.

Ugh dude you can argue what you want put please drop the 'I'm, like, soooo rational' schtick, with the stiff, formal language. It's tiring and actually makes you look less mature, not more : (

#Internet Posting Style Tips

You could be anywhere
    On the black screen
  • Options
    CybitCybit Merch Underling RedmondRegistered User regular
    Um, I can provide you plenty of examples on reference. (Actually, one got engaged last week, so hurrah for her regardless!).

I go back to my earlier point; sure, they exist, but are they such a big problem that we end up making our culture more hostile to all women?

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    I highly suggest that you get more civil than this.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    Agusalim wrote: »
    Kana wrote: »
    On the anime scene, I've definitely known a few girls who are not really very interested in anime, but do enjoy doing hot cosplay and then sort of getting to feel like they're the hottest girl at the party for once. As long as you're not being jerks about it I really take no offense at it, it's usually just another kind of way of dealing with that lack of social confidence in the "real" world that attracts a lot of nerds to cons in the first place. Everyone has their own wounds to lick, and that includes pretty people(!).

im not into anime at all but i mean surely if anime fans are nerds, folk that like anime cosplay are also nerds. nerds with a different but related set of nerdly interests and thus not even fake nerds by the tenuous standards of nerdfakery

Usually my main activity at a con is just going around and either talking to people or listening to people talk, so I LOVE meeting different kinds of folk with interests that I've never heard of before.

But there's definitely a resentment in various nerd groups at other nerd groups. A lot of people in subcultures love deriding other subcultures to make them feel better about their own worth. I mean shoot, there's a fair share of that on even these forums. The forum's comics nerds deride anime fans as fucking weeabos, the children's cartoon fans deride fans of children's pony cartoons, webcomics fans deride fans of MSPA, posters here looove talking about how the people on reddit are fucking awful because of one or two minor subreddits on a website with thousands of posters. And still these forums are waaaaay better about that kinda stuff than most other websites I go to.

So I mean, yeah it's basically nonsensical, but it's kind of something you see all over nerd culture, just fueled even more so by a healthy dollop of misogyny.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    Cybit wrote: »
    Um, I can provide you plenty of examples on reference. (Actually, one got engaged last week, so hurrah for her regardless!).

I go back to my earlier point; sure, they exist, but are they such a big problem that we end up making our culture more hostile to all women?

Then provide them. If these people exist, show me them.

haebas corpus, brah

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    I remember when we shut down the G&T chat thread here a guy contacting me almost in tears to tell me that the chat thread represented the entirety of his social outlet and that I had essentially destroyed his life by shutting it down*. I responded as gently as I could that if that was the case, it was clearly for the best that the thread went. I don't say that to be mean to the guy, because it broke my heart, but it's a similar situation. If you're so defined by your nerdy hobbies that the thought of other people enjoying them causes an identity crisis, you really needed to diversify your interests.

*well it was Whippy but I caught all the shit

I can't check the PM logs due to the sheer age on this, but I'm fairly sure this was me. Or if it wasn't, I had this mentality - because I felt the need to stay attached to a social group, and my desire to belong led me to head to one of the treehouses.

I'm still not totally better, but I do feel I've grown a lot from where I was 8 years ago. And I don't believe there is such a thing as a fake nerd.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular

Is this not a thing people say? I mean, the variation I heard was "lady boner", from a checkout clerk at HPB a couple of years ago.

... and, oddly, just now on imgur. Which makes twice in two years.

• Options
    Athenor wrote: »
    Tube wrote: »
    I remember when we shut down the G&T chat thread here a guy contacting me almost in tears to tell me that the chat thread represented the entirety of his social outlet and that I had essentially destroyed his life by shutting it down*. I responded as gently as I could that if that was the case, it was clearly for the best that the thread went. I don't say that to be mean to the guy, because it broke my heart, but it's a similar situation. If you're so defined by your nerdy hobbies that the thought of other people enjoying them causes an identity crisis, you really needed to diversify your interests.

*well it was Whippy but I caught all the shit

I can't check the PM logs due to the sheer age on this, but I'm fairly sure this was me. Or if it wasn't, I had this mentality - because I felt the need to stay attached to a social group, and my desire to belong led me to head to one of the treehouses.

I'm still not totally better, but I do feel I've grown a lot from where I was 8 years ago. And I don't believe there is such a thing as a fake nerd.

To be frank if any person feels they haven't grown a lot in 8 years, especially if 8 years represents 15%-30% of your entire lifespan, you probably need to undergo some serious self-assessment.

So, good job!

• Options
    edited January 2013

haebas corpus, brah

I'm on the internet, how the hell am I going to "show" them for you? Giving out pictures and names? Um, that seems like a pretty terrible idea.

EDIT: Removed even more unnecessary snark. Short version; as long as you keep arguing about this on the internet, you're not going to be able to "prove" anything.

EDIT: Removed unnecessary snark.

Cybit on
  • Options

haebas corpus, brah

I'm on the internet, how the hell am I going to "show" them for you? Giving out pictures and names? Um, that seems like a pretty terrible idea.

It's a pretty awesome argument you have going, unless someone was dumb enough to openly post about being one, in a forum of a website that has helped define geek culture to a large extent, on a thread about a comic that is aimed at them to some extent, you can claim they don't exist.

If it's a bad enough problem that people need to get mad about it, or even really claim it's a problem at all, and it's something you can identify without talking to or knowing the person, you should be able to find blogs, tumblrs, twitters, forums, etc. for these people. Everyone has a community on the internet, no matter how niche their interests no matter how odious you might think they are no matter how bizarre you might see them as, every sort of person has an internet presence.

Shouldn't be too hard for you to find. I can't find them, and I've never seen them in my years of going to conventions and buying comic books and going to gaming tournaments and a bunch of other really nerdy shit. I doubt they exist!

You're claiming they do! I'm asking you to show me. Maybe your Google-Fu is stronger than mine, sifu.

• Options
    lizbotlizbot Registered User regular
    Cambiata wrote: »
    The thing is, even the dudes who go out and "research" the "fake" geek girls so that they can harass them are defining "fake" as "she enjoys video games incorrectly" and "she wears tanktops."

As long as "fake" is this nebulous undefinable thing that involves enjoying things the wrong way, then "fake" will always seem like a trumped up charge that makes the accuser look pathetic at best.

Well that video was nauseating. The comments as well.

"Also that low cut shirt lol. That girl deserves whatever she gets."

"Also that low cut shirt lol. That girl deserves whatever she gets."

fwp.png
  • Options
    Shit, brah, I'll settle for a detailed description that can actually quantify why they ain't Truly Scottish enough

• Options

haebas corpus, brah

It's a pretty awesome argument you have going, unless someone was dumb enough to openly post about being one, in a forum of a website that has helped define geek culture to a large extent, on a thread about a comic that is aimed at them to some extent, you can claim they don't exist.

If it's a bad enough problem that people need to get mad about it, or even really claim it's a problem at all, and it's something you can identify without talking to or knowing the person, you should be able to find blogs, tumblrs, twitters, forums, etc. for these people. Everyone has a community on the internet, no matter how niche their interests no matter how odious you might think they are no matter how bizarre you might see them as, every sort of person has an internet presence.

Shouldn't be too hard for you to find. I can't find them, and I've never seen them in my years of going to conventions and buying comic books and going to gaming tournaments and a bunch of other really nerdy shit. I doubt they exist!

You're claiming they do! I'm asking you to show me. Maybe your Google-Fu is stronger than mine, sifu.

My entire argument is that it's not big enough of an issue to actually freak out about. :-p Sure there are some, and to be saying there are NONE is disingenuous. But it's not big enough of a deal to freak out about on a cultural level (individual people freaking out are individual people freaking out), and make geek culture a PITA from women.

I'll try to find something; I would like to think there's no one dumb enough to openly post such things on the internet for anyone to find. Most people don't tend to openly scream from the mountaintops "I'm a manipulative person! Hear me roar!"

• Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    I'll try to find something; I would like to think there's no one dumb enough to openly post such things on the internet for anyone to find. Most people don't tend to openly scream from the mountaintops "I'm a manipulative person! Hear me roar!"

oh

oh there is always someone dumb enough

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular

haebas corpus, brah

My entire argument is that it's not big enough of an issue to actually freak out about. :-p Sure there are some, and to be saying there are NONE is disingenuous. But it's not big enough of a deal to freak out about on a cultural level (individual people freaking out are individual people freaking out), and make geek culture a PITA from women.

Sure they do. There are entire websites dedicated to "seduction science" and explaining how "negging" works. There are not only "pick up gurus" who have websites where they brag about their skills, there are entire forums where random other people thank the gurus for their expertise, or discuss their negging techniques or what not.

If there were such a community of women dedicated to "faking" being geeks for the purposes of attention, or money, or a date, why wouldn't they have a website just like that?

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    -Tal wrote: »

oh

oh there is always someone dumb enough

god if there was ever a thing the internet repeatedly proves

• Options
    edited January 2013
    But seriously, you can create a theoretical example if you like, the Ur-Fake Gamer Girl, who will serve as a perfect example of this wanton fakery and how it exists.

Proviso: Providing an example of someone who is faking shit as their job, like professional models or media personalities, is automatically disqualified.

Pony on
  • Options
    TasteticleTasteticle Registered User regular
    Man there are a lot of silly geese in this thread, but people seem to be quite deft and handling them

But I want to address a complaint I see pop-up from time to time that gets lost in bigger, (understandably) more important issues

And that is the argument of video games being 'dumbed down', or that video games are being 'ruined'

What a load of horseplop!

Aside from the fact that a great many people seem to be confusing 'accessibility' with 'dumbing down'

Video Games have never been better

Video game 'culture' (for lack of a better term) has never been better (it still has a LONG way to go but it is better now than it ever was)

And the indie scene has never been as hot as it is right now

The games coming out these days (by and large) completely trounce the games that were coming out even so much as a decade ago, let alone 2 or 3

There are so many amazingly designed video games I can gain access to simply by pressing a few buttons

It is amazing!

People bitch and moan about things like COD. Okay fine, you don't like COD. Have you tried any of the other 18 million FPS games that came out in the last couple of years? I am sure there are tons of games in that genre that would interest you!

Just right now I can jump from Guild Wars to Professor Layton to Far Cry 3 to Hotline Miami to XCOM

This scene has never been better

To suggest otherwise is ridiculous

Uh-oh I accidentally deleted my signature. Uh-oh!!
  • Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    counterpoint, I am not 7 years old anymore

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Tamin wrote: »

Is this not a thing people say? I mean, the variation I heard was "lady boner", from a checkout clerk at HPB a couple of years ago.

... and, oddly, just now on imgur. Which makes twice in two years.
    I don't know, but a grown person should not be saying that at what is basically a show for business people.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    TIFunkaliciousTIFunkalicious Kicking back in NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Most @tasteticle posts have me visualizing the avatar saving the day and the villainous signature venting his frustration at yet another plot foiled

Also secret club mentalities always stink.

• Options
    The PaulThe Paul Registered User regular
    tumblr_mdr30u4DKp1qd8ovdo1_500.png
    tumblr_mdr30u4DKp1qd8ovdo2_500.png

This is a special case, largely justified by the obvious fact that kid's intestines are fucking delicious.

• Options

Sure they do. There are entire websites dedicated to "seduction science" and explaining how "negging" works. There are not only "pick up gurus" who have websites where they brag about their skills, there are entire forums where random other people thank the gurus for their expertise, or discuss their negging techniques or what not.

If there were such a community of women dedicated to "faking" being geeks for the purposes of attention, or money, or a date, why wouldn't they have a website just like that?

Please tell me you are joking.

You're not joking, are you? :( This is where I weep for humanity's soul, right?

So, bugged a friend about it, and got permission to use her story from ECCC 2012, names withheld, a few key identifying details changed, and conversation being taken from memory. [Note: her and I give each other inordinate amounts of crap, so what will come off as mean spirited comments via text on our parts are just us joshing around.]

A couple of days prior to ECCC, she had asked me if I was going. This was odd to me, as she is not the geeky type. In fact, she had never been to a convention in her life. But, I figured, lots of big media types there, maybe someone from a show she watches or something (or to fawn over Jason Momoa, which I would totally understand. Hell, I'm a straight guy and even I'd fawn over him.) I hadn't planned on going, but, hey, if I had friends going, I didn't have plans that weekend.

So I started looking up what was going on panel wise, etc etc, and then she asked me who Sailor Moon was. I explained that she is an character from a rather popular anime, and then she tells me she is going dressed up as her. Now, I know plenty of non-geeky women who love cosplaying, so that itself is not too terribly big of a deal, so we start talking about the costume, and eventually we get to "why are you dressing up as HQ if you don't even know who she is?" Her response is; "because it's a hot costume, and I want to feel hot."

Now, the sidetext to this plot is that her relationship with a boyfriend had ended a couple of months earlier; and she is not someone who is generally single very long; in fact, this was easily the longest time she had been single and not by choice.

My response was along the lines of "um, btw, you know that getting fawned at by men at a comic-con is not going to get you the kind of attention you will appreciate, right?" She stated that she'd be fine, and right now, she's feeling crappy about herself, so, damnit, she's going to go to the Con, and get some attention. I tell her this is a terrible idea (those who know me know I tend to use that phrase a lot), but, w/e, at least I can meet up with her during the Con and we can go grab lunch and maybe I can drag her to a couple of panels or something.

So I go, I end up texting her and meeting up with her eventually (I was coming from work later in the first day of the con) on the show floor, and she has a couple of guys going googly eyed (she is an attractive woman, if only I could ever convince HER of that), and I wait for her to stop talking to them and start talking to her.

"Enjoying yourself?"

"This is fish in a barrel, Cybit, fish in a barrel"

"You know this is going to end terribly, right?"

"You always say that."

We part our ways for the most part during the con, I end up dragging her to the star wars radio play (which was FAAAAAAAAAAAAANTASTIC btw), mostly because she puts up with my nerdy crap as long as I put up with her melodramatic crap.

Sunday, near the end, she looks tired, and not happy

"Cybit, OMG, these guys are creeeeeepy."

"Normally I'd say sorry and I feel bad for you, and I will, but after I get to say I told you so. :-p"

"Shut up. :-p"

We ended up grabbing dinner and laughing about it afterward. (Me far more so than her) She told me that one of her work friends had done something similar during PAX 2011, where she had gone as Leeloo (from 5th Element I guess? Never seen it before), and was having a blast, and helped her get over her ex.

Kind of a long story, but also wanted to point out that everyone is human, and has their own reasons for doing things. Judging is bad, mmk.

Alternatively, the really short story is one of my Star Wars Minis players who came to tournaments just long enough to get a boyfriend out of one of the players, and then was not seen again till her and her boyfriend broke up, at which point she came back. Mind you, she never learned & remembered how to actually play, and her opponent (male or female) spent much time explaining the basic game to her.

Once again, they exist, but they aren't nearly as big of a deal enough to make our culture less welcoming to women of all kinds.

• Options

I have a better question: "Are they a big enough problem to justify any action of any kind?"

I would say no.

We can demonstrate this mathematically with the following formula:

(Chance of ever encountering this) *[(consequence of encountering this while properly prepared) - (consequence of encountering this while not prepared)]

Inserting the appropriate values...

(very low) * [(I might waste a few minutes on a pointless conversation) - (I'm slightly less likely to waste a few minutes on a pointless convesartion)] = Worrying about "fake geeks" is an absolute waste of time and energy.

• Options
    PreciousBodilyFluidsPreciousBodilyFluids Registered User regular
    The Paul: A robot attempting to use mathematics in order to understand human behaviour.

You're super rational dude, we get it.

• Options
    The Paul: A robot attempting to use mathematics in order to understand human behaviour.

You're super rational dude, we get it.

What do you mean... "attempting"?

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    gnng.

Sometimes I really do think this whole thing comes down to some people feeling bitterly betrayed by the CRUEL, FALSE HOPE PROMISE that maybe, just maybe, for once in their life, they might actually get to have sex with someone other than:
    * Their hand
    * Their body pillow collection
    * Someone whose name ends in .jpg

yes, I know I'm stereotyping terribly. but isn't this whole damn "conversation", if you can call it that, founded on stereotypes?

Commander Zoom on
  • Options

yes, I know I'm stereotyping terribly. but isn't this whole damn "conversation", if you can call it that, founded on stereotypes?

Not quite...

...but Tony Harris seems to be some kind of rallying point, and he definitely gives the impression.

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited January 2013

haebas corpus, brah

Your ruse doesn't fool us, Cambiata. We all know women don't need websites because they communicate through the hive mind. Appeasing the universal female consciousness with favors and gifts is how Nice Guys prove their worthiness for you to bestow a Girlfriend upon them.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    The irony of some of these comments blows my mind. Tigers don't change stripes, it seems.

• Options
    BarryOggBarryOgg Registered User new member
    Well, I registered halfway through reading this thread because there was a call for examples. Upon reaching the end, I see that someone delivered, but I might as well post the image I got: i.imgur.com/Kuvxo.jpg. Now, I understand that the certain disconnect that I feel exists between the photo and its description is probably the fault of the creator of the fb page on which it appeared, and not the girl on the picture, but still: when it was posted on reddit, some people told me that I can't be 100% sure that she's not a geek. Yes, I cannot have a 100% certainity from a single picture. But, judging from some thousand people I've seen on conventions through the years, and some hundred I interacted with, there is virtually no overlap between the geek culture and the culture the girl in the picture, judging by her outfit, belongs to.

• Options
    BarryOgg wrote: »
    Well, I registered halfway through reading this thread because there was a call for examples. Upon reaching the end, I see that someone delivered, but I might as well post the image I got: i.imgur.com/Kuvxo.jpg. Now, I understand that the certain disconnect that I feel exists between the photo and its description is probably the fault of the creator of the fb page on which it appeared, and not the girl on the picture, but still: when it was posted on reddit, some people told me that I can't be 100% sure that she's not a geek. Yes, I cannot have a 100% certainity from a single picture. But, judging from some thousand people I've seen on conventions through the years, and some hundred I interacted with, there is virtually no overlap between the geek culture and the culture the girl in the picture, judging by her outfit, belongs to.

Arright, so:

1) You noticed there was a call for an example, so you registered for the specific purpose of providing one.
    2) You noticed an example had already been given.
    3) You went ahead and posted your example anyway, except you don't actually have one.

Personally, I don't need an example. The world is a wide, strange place and I'm actually very willing to believe many strange things about it. But if you're going to post an example at least post an example.

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    Feral wrote: »

haebas corpus, brah

Your ruse doesn't fool us, Cambiata. We all know women don't need websites because they communicate through the hive mind. Appeasing the universal female consciousness with favors and gifts is how Nice Guys prove their worthiness for you to bestow a Girlfriend upon them.

are you telling me harvest moon is not an accurate portrayal of relationships?