As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Mini-Phalla] Phalla Royale Part 2 - Furinkan High School Victory!

15678911»

• Options
    KaplarKaplar On Google MapsRegistered User regular
    Wouldn't putting them in teams make them not lone wolves?

• Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
  • Options
    Niceguy MyeyeNiceguy Myeye Registered User regular
    Thanks for running it. It was pretty fun.

I really don't have any ideas on how to improve the game, but I enjoyed it.

• Options
    ArdorArdor Registered User regular
    If I ever think at least 20 people would want to play this again, I'll probably run it with another tweak and maybe link the lone wolves together. I'm glad folks seemed to enjoy it and not find themselves hating it at least.

I wonder, what if I made no teams, but decided that the last 4 students left alive win? Provided there are no lone wolves there.

• Options
    Bliss 101Bliss 101 Registered User regular
    Teams are a nice way for newer players to get involved. If the entire game revolved around behind-the-scenes deals on the individual level, people with less experience and/or time wouldn't stand much of a chance. I see teams as a convenient framework that guides gameplay to some extent without being too restrictive. You can still get creative with your strategy even if you are in a team, as evidenced by Langly in this game.

MSL59.jpg
  • Options
    MillMill Registered User regular
    Yeah, I don't think this would work well with no teams. It would make lover combos really powerful and probably lesson some of the dynamics. Yes, there will still be consequences for backstabbing, but they are less scary if the other guy has no teammates to call upon when someone goes back on their word. It also makes the lover mechanic a little more interesting since the lovers have to choose between a team, but make sure they don't do it too early.

Though it might be interesting to have a set up where more than one team can win, as long as, the total number doesn't exceed four. It gives people one more thing to barter with and makes things less punitive for teams that get decimated early on. For example instead being pigeonholed into playing to escape, that would have given Langly's team another option, since they could team up with two people from another team to have a shot at taking down Baidol's team.

Anyways thanks for hosting this Ardor.

• Options
    premiumpremium Registered User regular
    Some sort of mechanic where you can form a new team if your team is sufficiently diminished might be interesting.

• Options
    I thought about putting a gang in here, essentially, a group of players who really wanted to play together could. But if I let folks form their own teams, the lesser active or newer players get the shaft quick. I imagine the same might happen here. If the game was down to 5 people, but only 4 could win. I always have to assume the one guy not as well liked/known as the others is going to get destroyed.

While it hurts my free time, I might consider removing the rival thing, and simply adding a leveling aspect to the game. When you help kill someone, you gain a bonus. To Baidol's point, this creates incentives to attack more often.

If I had to come up with a list, I might consider something like this:

For every 2 players you help kill, choose a benefit from the list:

1) +1 damage to all attacks
    2) +20% hit chance on all attacks
    3) Can hold 1 more item than normal
    4) Ignore 1 point of damage each day
    5) Can move 2 zones per night

or something like that perhaps.

• Options
    Thanks again for your feedback!

When there's a lull in games, I might run one more mini and possibly consider a full game if there's ever a lull there.

• Options
    MordrothMordroth EntrepreNerd New Republic of AlbertaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2013
    Ardor wrote: »
    I thought about putting a gang in here, essentially, a group of players who really wanted to play together could. But if I let folks form their own teams, the lesser active or newer players get the shaft quick. I imagine the same might happen here. If the game was down to 5 people, but only 4 could win. I always have to assume the one guy not as well liked/known as the others is going to get destroyed.

While it hurts my free time, I might consider removing the rival thing, and simply adding a leveling aspect to the game. When you help kill someone, you gain a bonus. To Baidol's point, this creates incentives to attack more often.

I like this idea - but what about just letting people pick another of the existing starter traits? Kind of like a Fallout "Perk" system.

EDIT: Another idea might be to make levelling connect with the action - i.e. a successful dodge gives you more dodge %, a successful attack gives you more attack %, a successful search/analyze gives you more sleuthing powers......

It is my goal to make this your full time job btw. :)

Mordroth on
  • Options
    Mordroth wrote: »

I like this idea - but what about just letting people pick another of the existing starter traits? Kind of like a Fallout "Perk" system.

EDIT: Another idea might be to make levelling connect with the action - i.e. a successful dodge gives you more dodge %, a successful attack gives you more attack %, a successful search/analyze gives you more sleuthing powers......

It is my goal to make this your full time job btw. :)

I think what you're trying to do, is get me to pay someone like Infidel to create a new interface for this, which saves me time.

I see how it is! I already have a 8-5 job!

• Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
  • Options
    Rawkking GoodguyRawkking Goodguy Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    Langly wrote: »
    The balance problem with escape is the social factor. It is mechanically difficult, because the pieces are hard to come by. However, there is little to no incentive to kill people trying to escape. But there is social incentive to try to escape, and to make violent plays to make that happen.

I said it last game and I'll say it again: it would be pretty interesting to see what changes in a battle royale where the game ends the moment someone escapes.

On the other hand you also lose some of the interesting social aspects of the game with it though, and it might be too hard? vOv

Edit edit: With seeming escapees being another "public enemy #1" lone wolves might have more of a chance.

Rawkking Goodguy on
  • Options
    What I probably should consider doing, is giving lone wolves the information regarding escape, so they know what to look for and where to go to stop students from escaping. The idea that escape ends the game would be a really interesting idea as well. Alternatively, the game might not end, but the vote will begin killing multiple students per day or it somehow causes great harm to the existing players.

Thus, there is incentive to escape, but there is even higher incentive to prevent escape.

• Options
    Now I kinda want to run this again. What have you all done to me and my "free" time?

• Options
    Gandalf_the_CrazedGandalf_the_Crazed Vigilo ConfidoRegistered User regular
    On the idea of escape ending the game, maybe instead of ending the game it pisses Kitano off, and everyone whose collar hasn't been deactivated is killed?

Which will definitely shorten the game, but it opens up some interesting strategies, particularly for lone wolves.

PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    Maybe have the lone wolves lose if people escape. They are there for bloodlust. This turns escapees into targets for the lone wolves.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    I like these ideas.

• Options
    SmasherSmasher Starting to get dizzy Registered User regular
    I think for that to be fair the lone wolves would need to be informed whenever a particular player's collar was deactivated, because otherwise they have no way to tell who's capable of escaping.

• Options
    SmasherSmasher Starting to get dizzy Registered User regular
    Doing that could also add a bit of strategy as to when to use the deactivator; as it is there's no reason not to use it every night until you run out of teammates or the deactivator breaks.

As compensation maybe the deactivator should become a hidden item.

• Options
    Rawkking GoodguyRawkking Goodguy Registered User regular
    Dunno about forcing lone wolves and only lone wolves to stop all escape attempts. You make the already incredibly difficult SK objective even harder, interrupt the few SK strategies that actually increase the chance of them winning to make them go kill escapees instead, and give another way for clever players to determine who is a lone wolf.

You could maybe give them a buff to compensate (free rivalry bonus if they kill someone holding escape equipment?) but some way that punishes everyone left on the island seems simpler, better, and thematic from what little I know of the source material.

• Options
    MordrothMordroth EntrepreNerd New Republic of AlbertaRegistered User regular
    Personally I still like the idea of Lone Wolves being a part of the School teams - it gives an added level of suspicion because you don't know if your team can be completely trusted or not.

• Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    Mordroth wrote: »
    Personally I still like the idea of Lone Wolves being a part of the School teams - it gives an added level of suspicion because you don't know if your team can be completely trusted or not.
    Oh I got that feeling without Lone Wolves.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    In a sense with today's iteration, escape helps out everyone left in the game, except teammates who were left behind. It reduces the players you need to kill to win.

I think changing the game for the worse when an escape occurs would probably be beneficial. I guess in my mind, to help the lone wolves out, I might make it harder for the students.

Maybe the following could happen when an escape attempt is successful:

1) All zones other than 1 close down the next day.
    2) The red vote kills students, but not Lone Wolves.
    3) The game will now end 1 day earlier. So if escape happened on Day 6, there will be no Day 7 and the game ends, killing all remaining students. Maybe Lone Wolves are left alive and get a victory?

The biggest thing I noticed is that escape always left one student team in a power position the past two games. That team played well and got lucky, but that's what usually happened. Thus, escape all but guaranteed a student victory. Lone wolves were typically identified prior to escape so the escapees were safe as well. However, if escaping hurts the remaining students, but not the lone wolves, the lone wolves might be interested in helping students escape, putting more onus on the students to keeping others from escaping, since in reality, a lone wolf could have difficulties killing 2-3 students trying to escape in a day or two.

This way, escape can happen, but those trying to escape have to be really, really careful about doing it since it'll really screw the remaining students. As it stands, players like Langly can basically tell everyone to leave him alone because he's escaping, which means he's making victory easier for those who remain. I'm sure he did a lot of this and I don't think anyone ever attacked him on purpose.

• Options
    In a sense with today's iteration, escape helps out everyone left in the game, except teammates who were left behind. It reduces the players you need to kill to win.

I think changing the game for the worse when an escape occurs would probably be beneficial. I guess in my mind, to help the lone wolves out, I might make it harder for the students.

Maybe the following could happen when an escape attempt is successful:

1) All zones other than 1 close down the next day.
    2) The red vote kills students, but not Lone Wolves.
    3) The game will now end 1 day earlier. So if escape happened on Day 6, there will be no Day 7 and the game ends, killing all remaining students. Maybe Lone Wolves are left alive and get a victory?

The biggest thing I noticed is that escape always left one student team in a power position the past two games. That team played well and got lucky, but that's what usually happened. Thus, escape all but guaranteed a student victory. Lone wolves were typically identified prior to escape so the escapees were safe as well. However, if escaping hurts the remaining students, but not the lone wolves, the lone wolves might be interested in helping students escape, putting more onus on the students to keeping others from escaping, since in reality, a lone wolf could have difficulties killing 2-3 students trying to escape in a day or two.

This way, escape can happen, but those trying to escape have to be really, really careful about doing it since it'll really screw the remaining students. As it stands, players like Langly can basically tell everyone to leave him alone because he's escaping, which means he's making victory easier for those who remain. I'm sure he did a lot of this and I don't think anyone ever attacked him on purpose.

This will not be a problem next time.

PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • Options
    I'm also thinking of removing the reward zone/player vote. I think I'd rather stick to a red vote, which will damage a player, thus a single player can get voted multiple times in a row along with keeping the zones to close down.

Though I'm also tempted to give an arbitrary number of students deaths to be seen each night, or Kitano RNG's a zone to close instead of counting the votes? Such as, if at least 3 students don't die, I choose [RNG] the zone that closes instead of the students. If no students die, the top 3 players get hit with the Red vote.

• Options
    LocusLocus Trust Me The seaRegistered User regular
    I'm also thinking of removing the reward zone/player vote. I think I'd rather stick to a red vote, which will damage a player, thus a single player can get voted multiple times in a row along with keeping the zones to close down.

Though I'm also tempted to give an arbitrary number of students deaths to be seen each night, or Kitano RNG's a zone to close instead of counting the votes? Such as, if at least 3 students don't die, I choose [RNG] the zone that closes instead of the students. If no students die, the top 3 players get hit with the Red vote.
    With regards to number one, I don't think there would be a problem removing the reward vote(s). In the two games thus far I don't think I spent more than a second thinking about who to vote for each time (if I even decided to vote) and I didn't think it was a particular priority for anyone on our team to win the vote. It simply did not factor into our calculus, and if an element of the game can safely be ignored, then I think the game can do without it.

With regards to number two, I think taking some of the power out of the players' hand regarding zone closing is a good idea. After game 1 there were multiple people saying there were too many zones, and zone closing followed a predictable pattern. After game 2 there were people saying there were too few zones, and once again zone closing followed a predictable pattern. I would say you don't even have to have the zone-closing vote and can just replace it with the RNG (which I think was the way it went in the first Phalla Royale, wasn't it?). While this would leave only one vote per night (the punish player vote), if you make that vote have significant-enough consequences, thread participation will not be negatively affected.

• Options
    InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    I've already gone over why zone closing is "boring" so that still stands.

Really the voting hasn't been important at all to me these past two games. I don't think the votes are absolutely critical that you find something that works, this is pretty much not-a-phalla anyways.

I think the core mechanics were pretty reasonable this time around. I think a nice tweak would be the changes discussed to the vote and end-game. Make escape trigger a more lethal Kitano? (Makes thematic sense.)

OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    Infidel wrote: »
    I've already gone over why zone closing is "boring" so that still stands.

Really the voting hasn't been important at all to me these past two games. I don't think the votes are absolutely critical that you find something that works, this is pretty much not-a-phalla anyways.

I think the core mechanics were pretty reasonable this time around. I think a nice tweak would be the changes discussed to the vote and end-game. Make escape trigger a more lethal Kitano? (Makes thematic sense.)

I, for one, am shocked. ;-)

PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • Options
    Thoughts

-Zone closing, RNG might make it more interesting, but it might not be worth it.

-Escaping triggering a more lethal Kitano might be worth pursuing if it doesn't negatively impact lone wolves. They already have it hard and I felt bad for Gandalf because he didn't get anything out of letting me live for the most part. If it reduced the number of days left by one and closed all but one zone but the lone wolves wouldn't die if the game ends on day 6. I think gandalf would have had a better shot at winning. He would have had the option of just making sure he lived through the night.

-Dropping the vote down to just the red vote, but with damage would probably make that aspect more interesting. Teams hurting would have an incentive to use it to bleed out the strongest team, known lone wolf or the best geared player.

• Options
    edited January 2013
    Mill wrote: »
    -Escaping triggering a more lethal Kitano might be worth pursuing if it doesn't negatively impact lone wolves. They already have it hard and I felt bad for Gandalf because he didn't get anything out of letting me live for the most part.

Well, I let you live for a few reasons, and got more or less what I expected out of it.

1) You didn't kill me the night you found out I was a Lone Wolf, and that deserved some loyalty.
    2) I was hoping that peacefully accompanying you to the cell block would be evidence that I wasn't interested in killing anyone I didn't have to. Was hoping that would buy me some good will and trust from the escapees when I arrived, and that they would choose to act similarly. Not sure why I thought that would work with Langly, but you know.
    3) I always, always play to maximize the number of winners, within the confines of my own win condition. I had nothing to gain by killing you, so there was no point to taking away your potential victory.

Gandalf_the_Crazed on
    PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • Options
    Could I ask for some quick feedback? I've updated some of the abilities and plan to make the red vote each day deal 2 damage to the winner. Thoughts on these abilities? I've changed a few and added some more.

Thanks!

Participants Roles and Win Conditions

A) Players may now choose their own destinies in this game – no more random selection of abilities. At the start of the game, all players have the opportunity to take a lover or declare a rival. Some players might be lone wolves looking out for only themselves. All roles offer their own selection of special abilities to take to the game; even dedicated students have their own abilities to take. Upon signing up, PM your role choice to Ardor. If you wish to be a Lover, you may change your choice to lover upon a PM agreement with you and your partner before Day 0 begins. Once all players have chosen a role, all players are divided randomly into schools; roles that players select have no bearing on what school a player gets assigned to. All players have base 3 hit points.

1) Dedicated Student
    – Play the part of an average student, dragged into the game against your will. While you may not have any extreme advantages over the rest of the field, together with your teammates or other allies, you may stand a chance of survival. Just beware of lone wolves and other possible traitors... You may choose one of the following bonuses:
    a) Melee Specialist – You gain one extra melee attack at -20% chance with all melee weapons. The -20% hit chance applies to your bonus attack.
    b) Ranged Specialist - +20% hit chance with all ranged weapons.
    c) Explosive Specialist – You gain a -30% chance to dodge explosive attacks. Splash damage does 1 less damage to you. C-4 will only deal 1 damage to you.
    d) Lucky! – You start with two items instead of one. You get to choose from one of the lists below and your item will be randomly picked from that list (Melee/ranged/explosives/trap/support)
    e) Tough – You start with 4 hit points instead of 3. You will reduce total damage done to you by 1 each night.
    f) Insightful – You start with the knowledge of how to escape the island. This does not grant you all the requirements, you simply know what they are. If you end up in a zone where anything of use for escaping is hidden, you will find it without having to search that night.
    g) Perceptive – You will always see concealed items any other players have. You cannot be poisoned. You gain a -50% dodge bonus against the Switchblade. You will also be able to notice C-4 that has been planted.
    h) Martial Arts Specialist – You took a karate class as a kid! Your unarmed attacks are improved. When using an unarmed attack, your base chance to hit is now 80% and you may attack two times each night. Brass Knuckles allow you to attack three times each night. You may only hold 2 items instead of 3.
    i) Swiftness – You were on the distance track team! You may move 2 zones per night instead of only 1.
    j) Pack Rat – You may carry 1 more item than normal.
    k) Iron Man – Only the vote can kill you on Days 1 and 2. You can be reduced in hp normally. After Day 2, you are immune to damage from the vote.

2) Lovers
    – There may be someone involved in Battle Royale that you cannot bear to be separated from. The relationship between the two of you will provide you with strength to survive the game as you look out for each other’s safety. But if you lose your partner, there may be consequences. A pair of players may take the Lovers role by mutual agreement in PM to Ardor. Both players must agree to this in a PM. Lovers may win with each other’s team. You are allowed one of the following bonuses as a team:
    a) Shared Fate – You may each choose a single ability from the Dedicated Student list. You each start with 3 HP. You and your lover pool your total hit points together and share that hit point pool. Once that hit point pool is depleted, you will both die.
    b) Sworn Vengeance – You and your lover are both treated as Dedicated Students with no bonuses. You each start with 4 hit points. However, if you or your lover dies, the surviving lover now swears vengeance on all players and becomes a Lone Wolf. It will be clearly identified to the players in your zone that you have sworn vengeance for the death of your loved one. You may choose one of the Lone Wolf skills and also get healed to full hit points. You may not choose Maniacal.
    c) Divas – You and your lover have the best relationship in the Program and you plan to let everyone know this. Your win condition requires only the two of you to be alive at the end of the game. You may not escape unless all other lovers have been killed. You each start with 1 student ability. You automatically identify lovers you run into. You must both travel together and you cannot die unless you both take lethal damage on the same night. If only one of you takes lethal damage and the other does not, you will both be identified to the other players as surviving due to each other.

3) Lone Wolf
    – There are certain exceptional students who have no need for allies that will only slow their progress, students that are in the game only for themselves. Some students have been rumored to sign themselves or their own schools up for The Program just for the thrill. These dangerous players will not stop until they stand alone at the game’s end. If you are not granted the request, you will be given a Dedicated Student role. Lone Wolves may only win as the last player standing. Lone Wolves do not have the option of escaping. Lone Wolves start with 6 hit points. There can only be maximum 2 Lone Wolves in the game. All players who wish to be a Lone Wolf will send this request to Ardor when signing up for the game. Lone Wolves may pick 1 student ability and 1 of the following bonuses:
    a) Weapons Expert – Gain +20% hit chance with all weapons. You are guaranteed to start with a weapon. You may state if you want a melee, ranged or explosive weapon. You will randomly get a weapon from the list that you pick.
    b) Kitano’s Pet – Your collar is deactivated. Anytime you help kill a player, you are awarded with a random item from Kitano. You may ask Kitano the location of a single player each day and he will tell you. Kitano will always tell you the following each night:
    i) Who has deactivated their collar
    ii) How many other Lone Wolves are alive
    iii) How many couples are still alive
    iv) The zones where escape can occur
    c) Survivor – Start with 8 hit points instead of 6. You cannot die by any means Days 1-4. You can be reduced in HP though. You take no damage from the vote.
    d) Hatred – All lovers in your zone will be identified to you each night. You gain +30% hit bonus against lovers. Once there are no lovers left in the game, you gain a 30% hit bonus against all remaining players.
    e) Maniacal – There’s something wrong with you. You gain +1 to your damage per hit for every student you help kill. You are identified as a Lone Wolf in the narration after you help kill two players (resulting in +2 damage to your attacks) or the start of Day 3, whichever comes first. Once identified, you gain one of the following bonuses of your choice:
    i) +3 max hit points and you are healed fully
    ii) +20% dodge bonus
    iii) 2 items of your choice.
    iv) -1 damage from each player per night.
    v) Your attack action goes before all others each night

4) Leveling Up! *NEW*
    – For every 2 students you help kill, you may choose another bonus ability from the Dedicated Student list. You may not choose the same benefit twice. Lucky grants you a bonus item when you choose it.

• Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    Divas is OP.

Specifically: "You cannot die unless you both take lethal damage on the same night."

• Options
    Obi hit my concerns with Divas.

I'd also cross survivor off as a choice for a sworn Vengeance lover that lost their partner. They're already getting healed up and I assumed bumped up to 6hp. Giving them the option to have 8hp and take not damage from the vote might be a bit much.

• Options
    Thanks! How about negate 1 lethal hit per night? (If you get several lethal hits in a night, this only negates 1.)

Since they are like a double lone wolf, I figured giving them some kind of advantage might help people consider choosing it.

• Options
    Thanks! How about negate 1 lethal hit per night? (If you get several lethal hits in a night, this only negates 1.)

Since they are like a double lone wolf, I figured giving them some kind of advantage might help people consider choosing it.

The negate one lethal hit per night thing might work.

• Options
    NOPE

nevermind, I was operating under the assumption they were using the same HP pool.

Divas would still be too powerful with that ability and the cover mechanic.

• Options
    They each only have 3 hps and need to win by themselves, how about 1 lethal attack per lover per night is negated?

• Options
    B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    Basically Langly is going to be Public Enemy #1 in the next three Phalla Royales, at least.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1PK4qYzNkI

10mvrci.png click for Anime chat