Options

[Mini-Phalla] Phalla Royale Part 2 - Furinkan High School Victory!

• Options
    Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    Thanks for running this! Apparently being a shared fate lover with Kime was.... not the best choice?
    Moreso for him than for me, since I got shot to shit and then exploded.
    Thanks a lot guys -_-

• Options
    ArdorArdor Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    It does frustrate me. I am even more frustrated by the fact that I had 3 HP left, but was killed by a 2 HP revolver?

Obifett killed a rival earlier in the game. His shot did 3 damage to you.

Smasher was the other Lone Wolf. His attacks were at +2 damage the night he was revealed. If Bliss 101 didn't have Tough as his skill, ObiFett and he would've been dead the night Smasher died.

Ardor on
  • Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Thanks for running this! Apparently being a shared fate lover with Kime was.... not the best choice?
    Moreso for him than for me, since I got shot to shit and then exploded.
    Thanks a lot guys -_-

Let's be honest, we knew that was going to happen one way or the other :P

Thanks for running Ardor! I died too early to have any large comments on balance or such

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    Gandalf_the_CrazedGandalf_the_Crazed Vigilo ConfidoRegistered User regular
    Ardor wrote: »
    It does frustrate me. I am even more frustrated by the fact that I had 3 HP left, but was killed by a 2 HP revolver?

Smasher was the other Lone Wolf. His attacks were at +2 damage the night he was revealed. If Bliss 101 didn't have Tough as his skill, ObiFett and he would've been dead the night Smasher died.

Ah, that does make sense then.

How much health did Baidol have?

PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • Options
    Ardor wrote: »

Ah, that does make sense then.

How much health did Baidol have?

He had 3 HP. In retrospect, with him aiming a revolver, your choice was really to kill 2 people or 1, but unfortunately, lose the game.

If you had a Handgun, you had a chance to make the game a draw by shooting everyone.

• Options
    Baidol wrote: »
    I have no regrets.

I recommend smaller teams. If you want more kills, you need to give people more incentive to open fire.

The kills do seem to happen. I enjoy complaining about it because the longer everyone lives, the more work I have to put into this. I enjoy it, but the time commitment is pretty brutal.

I think at best, I might put a single escape route in the game and be done with it.

I might also reduce the number of items in the game. Currently, there was 2 of almost everything plus whatever random award was drawn, or knives from the ability choice.

• Options
    InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    Day 1:

Mess Hall Actions Tonight:

Baidol All Out Attacks Gandalf_The_Crazed with a Knife, hitting twice and missing three times.
    Locus fires his Shotgun at both Gandalf_The_Crazed and M.D., hitting both. Gandalf_The_Crazed is wearing a Bulletproof vest which blocks the shot. Infidel is Covering M.D. and takes the shot for him.
    Gandalf_The_Crazed All Out Attacks M.D. with a Metal Pipe hitting four times and missing once. Infidel covers M.D. and blocks two hits with his Pot Lid Shield, getting hit twice.

Like a boss.

Tough student with pot lid shield huzzah! Totally covered my pal MrD so that he could C4 a bunch of suckas. :D

OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    Bliss 101Bliss 101 Registered User regular
    I agree that more smaller teams would probably be better. However, with smaller teams, teams that have lone wolves in them might be at an unfair disadvantage.

I feel that shared fate may be a slightly overpowered strategy. How about not allowing people to pick their lovers in the beginning, but have an option to acquire a lover during the game (similar to the Hair Ribbon in the original Phalla Royale).

Overall, I really enjoyed this. And even though we got off to an extremely lucky start, I'm still happy to win! Can't even hold a grudge against Langly and Infidel, because I think pretty much anyone would have done the same in their situation.

MSL59.jpg
  • Options
    So the three of them were all the same school?

Dammit, I was afraid of that. I almost went into defensive position in hopes that there would be a little crossfire and I could clean up tomorrow.

Oh well. :P Good game, in any case.

PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • Options
    Bliss 101 wrote: »
    I agree that more smaller teams would probably be better. However, with smaller teams, teams that have lone wolves in them might be at an unfair disadvantage.

I feel that shared fate may be a slightly overpowered strategy. How about not allowing people to pick their lovers in the beginning, but have an option to acquire a lover during the game (similar to the Hair Ribbon in the original Phalla Royale).

Overall, I really enjoyed this. And even though we got off to an extremely lucky start, I'm still happy to win! Can't even hold a grudge against Langly and Infidel, because I think pretty much anyone would have done the same in their situation.

I suppose it depends. Smasher outed himself to his school, asking them to help him rack up kills so he could be prepared on Day 3 to kills absolutely everybody not in his school. His handgun shots were doing 3 damage each and with an all out attack, he could attack 5 people.

If we decided to network the lone wolves (10% of playerbase or less) to be another team, per se, Smasher probably wouldn't have been as lucky by doing this.

• Options
    So the three of them were all the same school?

Dammit, I was afraid of that. I almost went into defensive position in hopes that there would be a little crossfire and I could clean up tomorrow.

Oh well. :P Good game, in any case.

Yeah, it was 1 vs 3. Your odds were not good. If Obifett missed (84% chance to hit you), then I'm pretty sure you all died tomorrow.

• Options
    LocusLocus Trust Me The seaRegistered User regular
    Can't even hold a grudge against Langly and Infidel, because I think pretty much anyone would have done the same in their situation.
    I agree, but I will hold a grudge anyway. Perhaps if I had not delayed, I would have survived. Alas!

From what I could tell, the balance between the various student roles seemed much better this time. I'm not sure you need to make the lone wolves any more powerful (whether through making them a mafia-like team or otherwise). Both lone wolves made it pretty far in this game, and I think reducing the size of the teams (as has been suggested) will make the lone wolves inherently stronger.

I think "all-out attack" might still be just a tad too powerful, but I'm not good with stats so maybe it just seemed that way.

• Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    Yeah, I can't say I'll ever trust Langly again. Not only did he get what he wanted, he ignored our cease-fire to kill Locus and didn't even take a parting shot at GtC on the way out.

Also, Infidel, what the heck? :|

• Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular

We had actions in to kill smasher, but the only way to escape with Premium and bertez (who we had an agreement with) was to have the collar deactivator. An hour before vote close, we had to switch to killing locus because killing him meant that we would have control of the device the next day. He ended up contacting me thirty minutes before close, but I didn't get the actual item until 5 minutes until close. Infidel was already gone at that point, as well as premium, and bertez was inactive.

Basically, if we had had the item at any point in the day, we would have gone on to the cell block (sans bertez who was inactive), and killed smasher.

• Options
    Without going back to do a painstaking count, I attempted to make like 7 deals this game, followed through on 6 of them, and got screwed on 6 of them.

I'm lookin' at you, @Langly and @Infidel (although they redeemed themselves by handing their items off to me on the day they escaped).

PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    I wish I had used my smoke bombs on myself the last day.
    Why did you make an agreement with Premium and bertez instead of going for the victory with your school and your allies?

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    SmasherSmasher Starting to get dizzy Registered User regular
    Ardor described my strategy above. If it hadn't been for our whole team getting hit by c4 on night 1 and running into a school with 2 Uzis at the end (DAMNIT I WANTED ONE OF THOSE) we'd have had a really good shot at winning.

• Options
    38thDoe wrote: »
    I wish I had used my smoke bombs on myself the last day.
    Why did you make an agreement with Premium and bertez instead of going for the victory with your school and your allies?

because they had an agreement with smasher and it was the only way to get out of the mess hall alive. It was also, in my mind, the only way to get a leg up negotiating wise on mill and gandalf.

They were going to be at cell block b once the group of four of us got there. If there was no way for any of them to escape, me and infidel would be toast. If premium and bertez were there, collar deactivated, we would be four against two in case the other two got antsy.

Also, I wasn't aware of how powerful smasher was. I thought that everyone would gun him down that day, and locus would be the casualty. But then that team killed our premium and bertez (when they were originally going to kill their bud smasher!) made me feel less bad. If I had had the deactivator, that wouldn't have happened, but premium still would be dead.

and bertez would be hanging out, blinking.

• Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    edited January 2013

:^:

Good job teammate. Can't believe we made it to the end. So glad you took "tough".

I'm not sure what happened with Langly's deal with our team, but it seems like he got everything he wanted and didn't hold up any side of his deal? If we had lost he'd be grudged pretty hard.

ObiFett on
  • Options
    Langly wrote: »

We had actions in to kill smasher, but the only way to escape with Premium and bertez (who we had an agreement with) was to have the collar deactivator. An hour before vote close, we had to switch to killing locus because killing him meant that we would have control of the device the next day. He ended up contacting me thirty minutes before close, but I didn't get the actual item until 5 minutes until close. Infidel was already gone at that point, as well as premium, and bertez was inactive.

Basically, if we had had the item at any point in the day, we would have gone on to the cell block (sans bertez who was inactive), and killed smasher.
    Unfortunately there was an internal debate on our team about if, how, and when to give you the collar deactivator. Like I mentioned in our brief conversation, I didn't want to make the decision unilaterally, otherwise you probably would have gotten it much earlier in the day.

• Options
    BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    I wanted Locus to hand it to someone else.

Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
  • Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    So if Gandalf had remembered his escape order he would have killed Infidel Mill and Langly?
    Thanks for hosting Ardor, I really enjoyed the game.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    This is also true! Would not have saved me from death, but would have done a number on Infidel and Langly's plan.

• Options
    Ardor wrote:
    1) I think a larger number of smaller teams will be better than a small number of large teams.
    2) I think the Lone Wolves this time around were much more powerful and no free analyzes meant it was tougher to find them. I might even consider putting another lone wolf into play.
    3) If we wanted to treat this like a more mafia-oriented game. I could network the lone wolves and they could be a team of their own, who could win at the end if they are the last ones standing.
    4) I could make the vote damage the winner. I personally don't like the idea of the vote outright killing, but dealing 1-2 damage would be appropriate I think.
    5) Mordroth had a thought about a counter attack mechanism, think something like this could work?

1) I think the team size was about right
    2) An odd number of lone wolves would be interesting. The ideal number would be for there to be one less lone wolf than teams, imo.
    3) If you did this, then the lone wolves would also have to be part of a school right?
    4) Minor damage to the vote winner would be interesting. What if the vote winner is prevented from moving?
    5) Yes, it would add a cool layer to the game. Do it.

• Options
    So if Gandalf had remembered his escape order he would have killed Infidel Mill and Langly?

he was lying about that. we knew he was the lone wolf and we gave him all our stuff.
    Langly January 26
    Before. We are ganging smasher tonight, gandalf should be going to cell b. We'll use our actions tomorrow to have the five of us gang up on him.
    jdarksun January 26
    Hm. How about we give you the deactivator tomorrow, after Smasher has been dealt with? We can deactivate two of your collars tonight.
    Langly January 26
    That is impossible because cell a will close tomorrow night. We have one move action.
    Langly January 26
    The wolves have no way to win. There's no reason to help them, they're the only other obstacle. We're not going to betray you for no reason
    Langly January 26
    In the same way, we'll need all four of us to kill gandalf. If I can't offer the cd to premium and BertezBertez, they'll have no incentive.
    Langly January 26
    i mean, here are the options

A) you collar deactivate me and infidel and kill premium and bertezbertez. We leave tonight to cell block a. we are then forced t kill mill for his key because he's not going to just give it to us for no reason. If we don't kill him, we die. We also have no way to kill the wolf.

B) you collar deactivate me and infidel and don't kill them. Then we are in an even worse position, because it's obvious we can't help the others and there are now more of them

C) You give us the CD and I deactivate me and infidel tonight. We now have a bargaining chip to further your interests and get off the island. we have numbers against mill and gandalf. we are able to escape and you have one target left to kill.

The collar deactivator gives you nothing other than making it more difficult for us to escape. It's not like it's a free ticket for us. We still have to kill the wolves, and if we don't have the things we need to escape we will die anyway because the zone is closing.

here is what I told jdark. I explicitly said that the only way to ensure my group's escape was to get the collar deactivator, in which case we would be in a very bad position otherwise.

If we had gotten it earlier, smasher would be dead, and we would have killed gandalf too (sorry gandalf).

• Options
    edited January 2013
    Locus wrote: »
    This is also true! Would not have saved me from death, but would have done a number on Infidel and Langly's plan.

i was worried about this, but figured I had to roll the dice.

I just don't know why you wanted to keep that item in the first place. It was literally useless to you.

edit: like, why was there a debate? You physically could not escape, you had no items to escape, you only had that. And it's not like you guys deactivating our collars ensured any more loyalty. If we had wanted to betray you, those actions resolve simultaneously, so we absolutely could have.

Langly on
  • Options

he was lying about that. we knew he was the lone wolf and we gave him all our stuff.
    Langly January 26
    Before. We are ganging smasher tonight, gandalf should be going to cell b. We'll use our actions tomorrow to have the five of us gang up on him.
    jdarksun January 26
    Hm. How about we give you the deactivator tomorrow, after Smasher has been dealt with? We can deactivate two of your collars tonight.
    Langly January 26
    That is impossible because cell a will close tomorrow night. We have one move action.
    Langly January 26
    The wolves have no way to win. There's no reason to help them, they're the only other obstacle. We're not going to betray you for no reason
    Langly January 26
    In the same way, we'll need all four of us to kill gandalf. If I can't offer the cd to premium and BertezBertez, they'll have no incentive.
    Langly January 26

A) you collar deactivate me and infidel and kill premium and bertezbertez. We leave tonight to cell block a. we are then forced t kill mill for his key because he's not going to just give it to us for no reason. If we don't kill him, we die. We also have no way to kill the wolf.

B) you collar deactivate me and infidel and don't kill them. Then we are in an even worse position, because it's obvious we can't help the others and there are now more of them

C) You give us the CD and I deactivate me and infidel tonight. We now have a bargaining chip to further your interests and get off the island. we have numbers against mill and gandalf. we are able to escape and you have one target left to kill.

The collar deactivator gives you nothing other than making it more difficult for us to escape. It's not like it's a free ticket for us. We still have to kill the wolves, and if we don't have the things we need to escape we will die anyway because the zone is closing.

here is what I told jdark. I explicitly said that the only way to ensure my group's escape was to get the collar deactivator, in which case we would be in a very bad position otherwise.

If we had gotten it earlier, smasher would be dead, and we would have killed gandalf too (sorry gandalf).

That would have been dumb and pointless. You were escaping, what the actual fuck.

I...honestly can't get over what a stupid decision that would have been.

PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • Options
    Why didn't you just tell us about the whole plan when you made it?

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options

Langly January 26
    jdarksun January 26
    Langly January 26
    Langly January 26
    Langly January 26
    Langly January 26

That would have been dumb and pointless. You were escaping, what the actual fuck.

the entire deal was for control of the collar deactivator. Whether we would have honored that deal is up to debate, I guess. But we were paying for the item we needed to escape with with actions. We would be going to a zone with limited other players, we would have had numbers, and we would be leaving the island.

• Options
    SmasherSmasher Starting to get dizzy Registered User regular

Are you talking about day 3? There's a not-insignificant chance I would have survived if you'd tried to kill me then.

• Options

Langly January 26
    jdarksun January 26
    Langly January 26
    Langly January 26
    Langly January 26
    Langly January 26

the entire deal was for control of the collar deactivator. Whether we would have honored that deal is up to debate, I guess. But we were paying for the item we needed to escape with with actions. We would be going to a zone with limited other players, we would have had numbers, and we would be leaving the island.

Yes, because honoring your deals has obviously been such a high priority for you.

PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2013

i did! i told jdark everything!

I mean, no, I didn't tell him that I would kill locus if he didn't cough up the collar deactivator, that's not a good idea. But he knew that I was working with them and that I needed them, and that we as a group would be killing the wolves for him.

edit: I also didn't tell him about the locus plan because of what baidol mentioned.

Langly on
  • Options
    Ah!
    Smasher wrote: »

Are you talking about day 3? There's a not-insignificant chance I would have survived if you'd tried to kill me then.

Smasher took 13 hits for 14 damage from 5 players the night he died, including 2 all out uzi attacks, one directly at him alone. Smasher had -1 damage from each student, so he still took 9 damage the night he died.
    South Fence Actions Tonight:

38thDoe fires his Handgun at Smasher, hitting twice and missing once to help kill him.
    Baidol All Out Attacks with his Uzi at Smasher, hitting six times and missing nine, helping kill him.
    Bliss 101 All Out Attacks with his Uzi and hits Smasher twice and missing six times while hitting Premium three times and missing four helping kill both of them.
    Infidel fires his Shotgun at Locus, hitting once and missing once, helping kill him.
    Jdarksun fires his Rifle at Smasher, hitting twice and helping kill him.
    Locus All Out Attacks with his Shotgun hitting Premium and Smasher helping kill both of them while missing Bertezbertez.
    Premium All Out Attacks Locus with his Handgun, hitting three times and missing twice, helping kill him.
    Smasher All Out Attacks with his Handgun hitting 38thDoe, Bliss 101, jdarksun and Obifett, missing Baidol helping kill jdarksun and 38thDoe.
    Obifett attacks BertezBertez with his Switchblade, missing twice.

• Options
    Smasher wrote: »

no, this was on the night you died.

• Options

i did! i told jdark everything!

I mean, no, I didn't tell him that I would kill locus if he didn't cough up the collar deactivator, that's not a good idea. But he knew that I was working with them and that I needed them, and that we as a group would be killing the wolves for him.

edit: I also didn't tell him about the locus plan because of what baidol mentioned.

Oh. I thought he found out you wanted the CD from me, and I didn't know you needed it till the day you got to south fence. You told him when you made the deal with premium?

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    edited January 2013

Langly January 26
    jdarksun January 26
    Langly January 26
    Langly January 26
    Langly January 26
    Langly January 26

Yes, because honoring your deals has obviously been such a high priority for you.

I was never looking to escape in this game. Our team played to win, but because anialos didn't move from the north fence, and MD stayed in the mess hall, we ended up being decimated on day 2. My power choice and the choice to talk about escape early was so that I would not be shot on sight, immediately.

So yeah, I lied initially when trying to murder everyone on the island but my team mates. It's why I healed Infidel and not you, and it's why md set off the c4.

Once the team got killed, it was obvious that escape was the only option, so then I really did make plays to escape. Infidel found the map, sega had the key, but then he died. Premium and bertezbertez made a deal to escape with us, and I absolutely honored it. If jdark had supplied the collar deactivator, i absolutely would have killed you and smasher, because that was the only key we needed to get off the island, and that was the payment for it.

The balance problem with escape is the social factor. It is mechanically difficult, because the pieces are hard to come by. However, there is little to no incentive to kill people trying to escape. But there is social incentive to try to escape, and to make violent plays to make that happen.

Langly on
  • Options

Langly January 26
    jdarksun January 26
    Langly January 26
    Langly January 26
    Langly January 26
    Langly January 26

I was never looking to escape in this game. Our team played to win, but because anialos didn't move from the north fence, and MD stayed in the mess hall, we ended up being decimated on day 2. My power choice and the choice to talk about escape early was so that I would not be shot on sight, immediately.

So yeah, I lied initially when trying to murder everyone on the island but my team mates. It's why I healed Infidel and not you, and it's why md set off the c4.

Once the team got killed, it was obvious that escape was the only option, so then I really did make plays to escape. Infidel found the map, sega had the key, but then he died. Premium and bertezbertez made a deal to escape with us, and I absolutely honored it. If jdark had supplied the collar deactivator, i absolutely would have killed you and smasher, because that was the only key we needed to get off the island, and that was the payment for it.

The balance problem with escape is the social factor. It is mechanically difficult, because the pieces are hard to come by. However, there is little to no incentive to kill people trying to escape. But there is social incentive to try to escape, and to make violent plays to make that happen.

Well let me be clear, I'm not accusing you of a character flaw or anything; it is a game of deception.

But part of that game is building up a reputation for a certain degree of trustworthiness, so that people are inclined to make deals with you in the future.

And after a game where literally everyone who cut a deal with you, except for your actual Shared Fate Lover, got screwed on said deal?

Yeah, I think it's time that Langly's stock took a dip in the market, so to speak.

PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • Options
  • Options
    @Gandalf_the_Crazed

There might be something wrong with your monitor.
    Try this fix:
    JchaTdU.jpg

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    premiumpremium Registered User regular

Langly January 26
    jdarksun January 26
    Langly January 26
    Langly January 26
    Langly January 26
    Langly January 26

Well let me be clear, I'm not accusing you of a character flaw or anything; it is a game of deception.

But part of that game is building up a reputation for a certain degree of trustworthiness, so that people are inclined to make deals with you in the future.

And after a game where literally everyone who cut a deal with you, except for your actual Shared Fate Lover, got screwed on said deal?

Yeah, I think it's time that Langly's stock took a dip in the market, so to speak.

I cut a deal and didn't get screwed.
    Well, I didn't get screwed by Langly, anyways.