As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Europa Universalis 4 thread

• Options
    SyphyreSyphyre A Dangerous Pastime Registered User regular
    Not historically accurate.
    JKNnmGH.jpg

• Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    Phyphor wrote: »
    Also, I'll be putting together a MP game of this soon after it comes out, I'll post the info here too if anyone wants to play

Yes I would like this.

KetBra on
    KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    The patch they put out for EU3 a couple of months ago really changes warfare. Since your manpower regenerates so much slower, you have to pick your fights carefully. Also keeps the big countries from steamrolling quite as fast.

• Options
    SLyMSLyM Registered User regular
    From what i've heard that was basically a test for 4. Apparently you are expected to hire mercenaries to slow your manpower to regenerate

My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
  • Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    After all, in 4 there's not much other use for gold, since tech doesn't depend on it anymore

• Options
    Yeah, I literally had to higher 30k troops in a war I just had to defend myself (dumb cascading alliances). But seeing as I'm Netherlands and have 5-6 merchants in every tradepost...

But still, it was interesting.

I'm excited for 4.

• Options
    tech kinda does depend on money in EU4 because money let's you hire better advisors that give you more points to invest in your techs.

but it's a lot less important than it was in 3.

My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
  • Options
    I would argue that choosing anything other than the best advisors is just crippling yourself, so that's just going to be a mandatory money sink for me

• Options
    Well most people can't afford anything more than level 1 advisers for quite a while, from what I've seen

• Options
    Loans? Dunno about the exact numbers but loans are less harsh this time around

• Options
    From what they've been saying, deficit spending will be necessary this time around.

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    Rather than just an endless death spiral of debt

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    Cross-posting to the various paradox threads: come play multiplayer! http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/181496/europa-universalis-iv-multiplayer-madness?new=1

• Options
    Something I am really looking forward to is how easy the CK2 converter will make modding. You can just use transfer vassalage and grant independence options to make as many countries as you want anywhere you want, and you can put the HERE anywhere.

• Options
    The demo just dropped, but I have to work. bleh

• Options
    There's a DEMO?! Well there goes any thoughts of productivity tonight.

• Options
    Tomorrow, Tomorrow, I'll play you, tomorrow. It's only a day away.

• Options
    tomorrow will probably be the earliest I have woken up of my own choice in a long time.

• Options
    Sadly I will have to wait until I get home from work. I didn't download the Demo, so I'm completely fresh.

• Options
    HellaJeffHellaJeff FAB FRESH RAIIINBOOWWWWWRegistered User regular
    I want to try CK2 or EU3 but I want it to feel more satisfying or immersive than civ normally is.

Can anyone testify either way to that

• Options
    VicVic Registered User regular
    Phyphor wrote: »
    Loans? Dunno about the exact numbers but loans are less harsh this time around

Loans are not exactly a long term solution. If you spend far more than you can afford on advisors you will just keep racking up loans and eventually the interest will break you.

• Options
    Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    i just got into crusader kings this week

(i have got absolutely nothing else done this week)

so far i've played the beginner game where you start as ireland and unify great britain. the king of england went cathar early so that worked out pretty well

just started a new game as the duke of lombardia with the intention of eventually forming the kingdom of italy

i still don't understand half the rules but the game is disgustingly fun

• Options
    Hey guys, little announcement.

Peasant wars:

not fun.

immediate -6 stability, -10 prestige, 10% higher stab costs, 10 RR everywhere, also events that pop up 24k peasant revolt stacks.

• Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    Been playing EUIV a lot, and so far I've found that hiring even a single higher level advisor with two other level 1 advisers at the start of the game will totally cripple most kingdoms economies. That added with the fact that you can only get so far ahead in tech no matter how good your advisers are means that I don't see hiring really high level advisers and going massively into debt as a good idea. (It's possible the absolutely wealthiest nations at the start of the game may be able to afford it though.)

Also a personal recommendation for playing a country is Poland, who is a weak eastern european kingdom with the potential and ambition to become an empire so great as to be the awe/terror of Europe. You have to work for it though, which makes it all the more satisfying.

• Options
    Yeah I haven't been able to afford a level 2 without ruining my economy at least until the 1500s

• Options
    edited August 2013
    So I've been playing another game as France, and I decided that once I had taken over all of the territory in Europe that rightfully belonged to me I'd focus on colonization.This being my first game colonizing anything, I'm pretty proud that I managed to be the first to make it to Brazil, although Spain and Portugal were not far behind me. England has been having problems and it took much longer than it usually does for England to conquer the rest of the British Isles. So if they are going to try and colonize the Americas, they're pretty late to the party. Among the three colonial powers we're all competing over land in Brazil and the Caribbean, although I'm the only one who currently has any colonies in North America. My long term plan is to try and get a little piece of the pie in Brazil, get a bigger piece of the pie in the Caribbean, and a monopoly over North America.

Anyways, this is my first time realizing just how much better a situation France, England, Castile/Spain, and Portugal are in the long run simply due to geography. Not only will their colonies start making them quite a lot of money, but they also have access to the trade routes around Africa. (Although the latter of which will probably take quite a long time to be important.) Also something I've found that's important is who sacks each native American empire first. Each of them has monumental amounts of gold by the time you come into contact with them, likely from having nothing to spend it on due to their low tech levels. As an example, I sacked the Aztecs and took about 4000 gold from them, and I sacked the Huron and got about another 4000 gold from them. Getting 8000 thousand gold for basically nothing is amazing and is enough to dramatically increase any nation's standing. I used it mostly to improve and invest in my existing colonies, but I still have well over a thousand gold left. The amount of money I'm starting to make is basically leading me to the point where I simply don't care about the HRE or most of the rest of Europe.

Gundi on
  • Options
    Sacking the natives for money has been a good strategy in EU3 as well, and it still works.

I took a look at the ideas files, and England is also hampered on the colonization front because Exploration is their 4th idea (as opposed to 1st for Portugal, 2nd for Spain/France.)

Due to the way trading works now, it seems like the African coast is a lot more lucrative in EU4 than it was in EU3, but I don't have anything solid to support that yet.

• Options
    edited August 2013
    I do because I colonized it as Algiers and I have a massive income now, once is start stealing the Brazilian trade it'll get even higher

SLyM on
  • Options
    I should probably change the thread title once I get of my phone, huh?

• Options
    edited August 2013
    So France's War of Religion... it's pretty annoying when it's happening in your colonies.

Gundi on
  • Options
    Dongs GaloreDongs Galore Registered User regular
    cAlUnCi.jpg

he's... beautiful

• Options
    Who knew Jesus was such a badass!

• Options
    So I decided to try playing as Japan and it's... pretty boring, actually. You just kind of sit around for a hundred-two hundred years consolidating your power before you're really able to do much.

• Options
    Captain KCaptain K Registered User regular
    Let's say I've played my share of Hearts of Iron 2/3 and Victoria 2, and that I decided to wait until EU4 to try a different Paradox series.

How does it play right now? Should I wait a while for them to iron out launch bugs, or should I buy it now and dive in headfirst?

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    That humble weekly sale looks pretty cool.

I really kind of wanna grab it.

But probably can't until tuesday.

• Options
    There aren't a ton of game-breaking bugs, at least not that I've encountered, but there are a few balance changes that I think are probably on their way down the pipes that will make the game a bunch better.

• Options
    Captain KCaptain K Registered User regular
    You getting that info from the Paradox forums? I haven't checked around there at all yet.

I know I'm gonna be into Rome: TW2 when it drops next week, so I can maybe just wait a little bit for EU4 to get patched and rebalanced. Paradox games are always much better 3-6 months after release.

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Hey.

Hey @Captain K

Hi.

• Options
    They haven't said anything definite, but there are a few things that they've said they want to change.

• Options
    The game is mostly bug free. I've only had one crash out of the blue, and I've seen one weird text thing. Other than that the game is very polished.

Like SlyM said, a few balancing things would help a lot, but honestly, I'm simply having fun.