What is Mechwarrior Online?
Mechwarrior Online is a free to play, PC based, online shooter produced by Piranha Games Interactive. MWO places you in the command seat of a heavily armed and armored walking battle machine that you pilot in team based matches against other Mechwarriors. At the end of each match you earn C-Bills, the in game currency that is used to buy more items and mechs, and experience that is used to enhance your piloting abilities of your mech. Between matches, you can customize your mech with a variety of engines, weapons, subsystem modules, and chassis enancements until you have your chosen mech tailored to your liking.
There are two game modes currently; Assault and Conquest. In Assault, you and your team attempt to either capture the enemy team's base without losing your own base, or eliminate the enemy team. Conquest is a traditional domination mode where you and your team are attempting to reach the point total first or eliminate the enemy team. Later in the year, Community Warfare will be introduced that will pit player based Merc Corps and PGI operated houses against each other for control of entire planets. We don't have much information about the Warfare mode yet, but the op will be updated with it as we find out more.What about that old Mechwarrior Reboot trailer?http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzge4Wc3zfw
The initial incarnation of Piranha Games' MechWarrior reboot, which was revealed yesterday to have become the free-to-play PC exclusive MechWarrior Online, was stymied by "a Microsoft restriction" blocking a PlayStation 3 edition. This, according to Piranha, played a big part in publishers not wanting to pick the game up.
If you'd like to know more, Shacknews has the whole story: http://www.shacknews.com/article/70879/mechwarrior-reboot-was-derailed-by-microsoft-blocking-ps3I played MechAssault for the Xbox and it was boring. Why should I care about this?
MechAssault. No, really. That game was a bastardization of Mechwarrior that turned a quality series into a trashy arcade experience that changed a lot about the setting's mechanics for the worse. MechWarrior is a venerable PC franchise that dates back to 1989's Mechwarrior 1 which was based on the even older pen and paper wargame Battletech. Each game in the series was at the cutting edge of technology when it was released and each game has received massive amounts of praise for having fantastic gameplay and surprisingly quality plots. If you'd like to try out one of the older games Mechwarrior 4: Mercenaries is FREE TO DOWNLOAD FOR EVERYONE
! It's not a bad idea to play it at least a little bit before jumping into MWO so that you can get the hang of things against an AI before throwing down against real people.
The New Player's Guide to Getting Started in MWO
1.) Download the client at http://www.mwomercs.com
and install it.
2.) Before launching the game, click the "Visit Training Grounds" butting in the top right corner of the launcher. Watch those videos to get at least an initial grasp of what to expect. This game has a bit of a learning curve to it and while it's not super steep, it's definitely not just a jump in and click things until you win sort game. Be sure to watch the Weapon Grouping video as it'll do the most to help keep you alive. Chain fire is god.
Penny Arcade also did some Pilot Safety Posters and while they're humorous, they do have some good information in them.
3.) When you start the game you will have access to four trial mechs that rotate out for new mechs every couple of weeks or so. These are non-customizable mechs with set loadouts based on their canon setups. After twentyfive matches you will have earned an extra 8 million C-Bills on top of your winnings and will easily be able to afford a proper mech of your own. When choosing a trial mech to start with, you will want to avoid the assault mechs at first because of the four, they're the hardest to drive. Their slow speed and tendency to get primaried instantly by the enemy team means tactics are paramount and for a rookie player they're kind of a death trap despite being the most heavily armed and armored.
4.) After each match you will earn some C-Bills, pilot xp, and general xp. C-Bills are the in game currency used to buy everything except cosmetic items. Pilot XP is specific to the mech you earned it on and is used to by piloting enhancements like faster torso rotation or faster turning. To unlock elite skills you will need to get all of the basic skills for at least three variants of a specific chassis. General XP can be used on any mech and is also used to unlock modules. Pilot XP can be converted into General XP by spending Mech Credits.
5.) Mech Credits (MC) are the in game currency that you purchase with real money in order to shortcut your way to a new mech. MC is also used to purchase premium account status and cosmetic items for your mech like new paint jobs and items to put in your cockpit like bobblehead dolls. MC CANNOT be converted into C-Bills or XP meaning everyone has to earn their arms and armor equally the same.
Additional Links and InfoMWOOSK! The official Oosik Irregulars Online Mechlab!Submit your mech builds here and browse other people's creations!http://mwowiki.org/wiki/Main_Page
- Tons of useful information about most of the game's assets.MW:O user Ohmwrecker's
master list of all the information you're curious about (this will probably answer 99% of your questions once you understand how to read it)Not happy with your framerate or graphics quality?
Here are some tweaks and work-arounds you can tryList of confirmed battlemechs
, with hardpoint layouts for each variant (Updated to include all playable variants)
Having technical issues? Try these things out!
Hey I want one of those swanky Oosik Irregulars sigs! How do I get one?
1. A reinstall can do wonders if you're having problems with the bootstrap launcher (the patcher thing that pops up before you get the login window). Sometimes the uninstall goes wrong (because of course), so go here if it won't reinstall.
2. Try manually deleting the shader cache (MWO should do this automatically, but sometimes fails and it gets corrupted). The post in the link also gives steps to set up a batch script to force the deletion each time MWO loads.
3. This is a weird fix, but some people found that moving the install directory to another physical drive solves crashes. Literally cut/paste the directory and update shortcuts manually. Not sure if moving to another partition on the same drive helps.
4. Force your video card to stop power-save throttling and disable ambient occlusion. If ambient occlusion is listed "unsupported" for Nvidia cards, try this sub-post to import a fixed game profile for the control panel.
5. Force multi-threading, in case the game isn't using all available cores.
I Just Can't Get Enough Mech Stuff!MechCommanderMechCommander
and MechCommander 2
. They're pretty fun; you basically load out your 'mechs and command them in battle. They're pretty good recreations of the MechWarrior games, actually. Certainly worth a look if you enjoy strategy and mechs.MechWarrior 4
MechWarrior 4 is free too. MekTek
, which released tons of awesome mech "paks" and stuff for the game, has been given the rights to release it because Will Vanu loves MechWarrior and is smiling on us fans or something. The free version comes with MekPak 3.1 which adds even more stuff and adds the new 'mechs into single player. This is probably the best MechWarrior single player experience right now.MechWarrior: Living LegendsLiving Legends
is a kickass Crysis Wars MechWarrior mod. It's almost professional quality. The graphics are stupendous and they've done more than just add 'mechs: you get a bunch of the air vehicles and ground vehicles, too, plus Elementals if you're silly enough NOT to want to pilot a giant walking tank. The mod is multiplayer only and it even has Solaris arena matches in there. Definitely check this out if you have Crysis Wars, because it's free (as long as you own Crysis Wars, duh). Here is the Penny Arcade forum thread for this game
UPDATE: This mod is no longer being developed but is still available to play.MechWarrior 2
MechWarrior 2 is not free but if you own a copy already (like, say, MW2: Mercenaries woooo) you can get it running on Windows XP (and Vista and 7?) with MechVM
. Install MechVM, put your CD in, and tell MechVM to install from the CD. Bada-bing, it runs fine. An alternative is to use MW2hook
which works pretty well but is a bit of work to figure out.MechWarrior 3MechWarrior3.org
should have everything you need to get up and running.
Odds and Ends
- Steam Penny Arcade MechWarrior Group
- Our MechWarrior Tactics thread
- Our MechWarrior Living Legends thread
- Almost every MechWarrior 2 computer sound file, so that you can make your computer say "Shutting Down" when you shut down
- The all important REACTOR, ONLINE, SENSORS, ONLINE, WEAPONS, ONLINE, ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL *purr* *beep* sound to complete the collection. You might actually want to rip that last one from this YouTube video because the direct download I've linked has a tiny bit of music at the end.
- MekTek.net, your net source for Mek Tek. This is where MechWarrior 4 is free to download
- Mech2.org forums that tell you how to run Mechwarrior 2, if you're nostalgic
- Ducan Fisher (Solaris VII announcer) outtakes. Hilarious. He does a great Homer Simpson voice. Part two.
- MechWarrior3.org, to make MechWarrior 3 work.
- Mechwarrior 2 Intro
- Mechwarrior 2: Mercenaries Intro
- Mechwarrior 3 Intro
- Mechwarrior 4 Intro
- Mechwarrior 4: Mercenaries Intro
Some of this OP was shamelessly copied from the old one @TychoCelchuuu