As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

IN DEE [CHAT] ABLE

• Options
    CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    Cinders wrote: »
    Huh, when did Primer come to Netflix?

Hey, I've seen that!
    I didn't understand it. I tried. :(

I haven't seen it. Last time I thought to look for it, it wasn't on Netflix.

• Options
    STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    Irond WIll, still smiting anime jerks?

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    I remember there being a trailer at last e3 that looked kinda neat.

You were a bounty hunter in the future? It is a sequel to an FPS that was kind of odd, had a lot of weird mechanics like flipping the world upside down.

The name is totally evading me.

• Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    Irond Will wrote: »
    I also really liked The Queen of Versailles, which is the documentary about that timeshare magnate who tried to build the largest home in America only to have the housing market collapse in the middle of construction and throw his entire life into financial chaos.

It mostly focuses on his trophy wife, who's spent her life after marriage completely insulated from reality.

wasn't that dude a huge romney booster? that seems true to me.

At the beginning of the doc, he personally takes credit for Dubya's election, but he won't specify what he did because he thinks it was probably illegal.

And during the past election, he was one of those rich dudes who sent e-mails to his employees saying he might have to fire them if Obama was re-elected.

• Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    i was kind of disappointed by looper, especially after it received such high praise

halfway through i realized that i wished i was watching 12 monkeys instead

Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    emnmnme wrote: »
    spool32 wrote: »
    Casual wrote: »
    you know the thing that gets me about the women in the military thread is that everyone in there makes it sound likes it's incredibly difficult to not have sex

like, bordering on impossible

this of course means that i am an utter badass and god among men for being as amazing as i am at not having sex

seriously, i make this shit look easy

In the book The Forever War, sex between enlisted men and women is mandatory. They swap bunkmates every other night so everyone gets a turn with everyone.

It's not exactly mandatory.

Part of the plot was the idea that eventually people paired off into couples even if they were occasionally sleeping around, and that
    due to relativity, not getting assigned to the same postings at the same time was identical to death - you'll never see the other person alive again.

THEY HELD AND ORGY WHEN THEY WERE REASSIGNED TO THE NEW BASE! Sex was most definitely required and while the book didn't say they could be discharged or legally prosecuted for not engaging, the annoyance from the more attractive women when they had to service so many men makes me think you couldn't back out if you wanted to.

dude this is like that time you were trying to tell us about "Night Watch" by Terry Pratchett and seem to have read a totally different book from everyone else.

Was it the one by that Russian dude? That was an interesting series.

• Options
    _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Yay! I get to teach Elementary again today!

I wonder if the 1st grade teacher will be wearing a Playboy bunny hoodie again.

Giggity

• Options
    i was kind of disappointed by looper, especially after it received such high praise

I think that is finally out in theaters here.

I was considering going to see it because of how much praise it got in [chat].

The theater out here ain't cheap... so now I am having doubts.

• Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod

all day erry day

Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    I also really liked The Queen of Versailles, which is the documentary about that timeshare magnate who tried to build the largest home in America only to have the housing market collapse in the middle of construction and throw his entire life into financial chaos.

It mostly focuses on his trophy wife, who's spent her life after marriage completely insulated from reality.

At the beginning of the doc, he personally takes credit for Dubya's election, but he won't specify what he did because he thinks it was probably illegal.

And during the past election, he was one of those rich dudes who sent e-mails to his employees saying he might have to fire them if Obama was re-elected.

yeah that's the one. fuck that guy.

will it be painful to sit through a movie about him?

does he suffer horribly?

Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    I keep forgetting that 12 monkeys was really good. Every couple of years I'll catch it on TV and be reminded, before promptly forgetting again.

• Options
    hey also: catfish was kind of a cool flick.

Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    the time travel in looper was dumb

and I saw the ending coming from a mile away

it was still a fun ride though

• Options

save a thousand zennies and just watch 12 monkeys again

always the right decision

Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    hey also: catfish was kind of a cool flick.

catfishing is already a verb (and gerund) thanks to the manti te'o story

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    Looper was a fun action flick, but it's not particularly smart.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options

It would be seeing 12 monkeys for the first time, actually.

*cowers in fear*

• Options
    SenjutsuSenjutsu thot enthusiast Registered User regular

*cowers in fear*

oh you really need to see that

• Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular

Do you like shooting?
    Do you like vauge sciencey shit?
    Do you like a moderately unique time-travel plot?
    Do you like JGL?

Then I'd say it's worth a ticket.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    edited January 2013

does he suffer horribly?

Yeah, dude suffers a lot. He's stuck in a loveless marriage with a wife he clearly despises, his house becomes filthy and chaotic because there are too many kids and dogs to watch, and his business teeters on the brink of collapse.

It's basically Schadenfreude: The Movie.

You and Frankie would probably have a lot of fun mocking him and his family.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular

Where do you think he's been?

There was a fairly serious otaku outbreak

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular

*cowers in fear*

Oh, watching 12 Monkeys is definitely the right choice then.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    all of my friends pirated a low quality version of Django instead of going to see it in the cinema

my friends are shit

anyone wanna go to the cinema?

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular

*cowers in fear*

Keep your expectations low. It's not very good.

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Tav wrote: »
    all of my friends pirated a low quality version of Django instead of going to see it in the cinema

my friends are shit

Sure

Gonna be a bit of a commute for you though

• Options

*cowers in fear*

fbiga.png

• Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    Feral wrote: »

*cowers in fear*

Oh, watching 12 Monkeys is definitely the right choice then.
    Watching 12 Monkeys is the correct choice but watching Brazil is the even more correct choice

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    I didn't make custard cause the milk smelled kinda bad but then I tasted it and it's fine, shouldn't have doubted the mighty Cravendale

But now I'm not up for custard so eating oatibix apple & sultana things.

They gooooood

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    Senjutsu wrote: »

*cowers in fear*

snip

shhhhhhh

it's inqui, he hates things that are good

you kind of have to play things down for him

just play along

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    With the proper ending cut, Brazil is a fine, fine movie.

• Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular

my friends are shit

Sure

Can you give me a ride

• Options
    I mean it's not great or anything

• Options

does he suffer horribly?

Yeah, dude suffers a lot. He's stuck in a loveless marriage with a wife he clearly despises, his house becomes filthy and chaotic because there are too many kids and dogs to watch, and his business teeters on the brink of collapse.

It's basically Schadenfreude: The Movie.

You and Frankie would probably have a lot of fun mocking him and his family.

i am warming to this

Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    I can't comprehend why you'd want to watch a movie that's been recorded by an asshole in a theater with a video camera. If a movie's worth watching at all, then it's worth watching with clear picture and audio.

• Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    nvm a youtube search for "e3 2012" and Watch Dogs was the second hit

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xU7WGAJPRRw

I don't see get why people are going nuts for Watch Dogs?

Last Of Us, sure. But that looks, I dunno. No different than every other game that's had waypoints cleverly hidden in the HUD.

Its next gen

I <3 impressive graphics

• Options
    ahahahahahahaha will

abusing thy modly powers

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    edited January 2013
    nvm a youtube search for "e3 2012" and Watch Dogs was the second hit

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xU7WGAJPRRw

I don't see get why people are going nuts for Watch Dogs?

Last Of Us, sure. But that looks, I dunno. No different than every other game that's had waypoints cleverly hidden in the HUD.

Its next gen

I <3 impressive graphics

But it doesn't look any better than current gen stuff! It's still a PS3 game, right? :P

Ed; although actually Dead Space 3 is brand spankin' new and looks kinda butts...

Dark Raven X on
    Oh brilliant
  • Options
    I can't comprehend why you'd want to watch a movie that's been recorded by an asshole in a theater with a video camera. If a movie's worth watching at all, then it's worth watching with clear picture and audio.

maybe you don't actually care about the experience of the movie, you just want to understand discussions and references

• Options
    Feral wrote: »
    ahahahahahahaha will

abusing thy modly powers

this was the very reason i have mod powers

well, this and banning the anime thread

those two things

and i guess the brony thread

those three things

Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    On the subject of Netflix recommendations, I was pleasantly surprised by what I've seen so far of Chico and Rita.

The animation is really nice, and its depiction of Cuba and its music in the 1940's would make this an ideal flick for my family to watch.

At least it would have been, were it not for the animated nudity and sexual situations.

This discussion has been closed.