As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The [chat] About Sad Silent Types Wearing Porkpie Hats

• Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    You are like a grown ass man only now learning how to touch boobies. That is Salt Lake City.

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    Also, I think I'm ready to move back to Iowa. I don't like Texas. It's just big and ... shrug. It is no better than where I was before only I can't walk everywhere cool and I don't have seasons.

Kansas City yo

I have a spare bedroom

(gay innuendo, winky, etc)

• Options
    Ravenhpltc24Ravenhpltc24 So Raven Registered User regular
    wandering wrote: »
    People who fall asleep during movies are the worst, yes I am talking to you, the person who fell asleep during Mulholland Dr. last night.

Of course one time a friend showed me Patton and I fell asleep during it so I can't really talk.

Mulholland Drive puts you to sleep with its insufferable surreality and non-sense-making-ness. And then the opera at the end. That did me in.

(V) ( ;,,; ) (V)
  • Options
    Element BrianElement Brian Peanut Butter Shill Registered User regular
    It totes awesome we have stuff like snow and Sundance.

Also this thing called inversion which you probably shouldn't worry about or look up.

Switch FC code:SW-2130-4285-0059

Arch,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_goGR39m2k
  • Options
    CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    Also, I think I'm ready to move back to Iowa. I don't like Texas. It's just big and ... shrug. It is no better than where I was before only I can't walk everywhere cool and I don't have seasons.

try the east coast. i didn't care for texas but liked dc and love boston

Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    walton is just walter translated into hick

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    People who fall asleep during movies are the worst, yes I am talking to you, the person who fell asleep during Mulholland Dr. last night.

Of course one time a friend showed me Patton and I fell asleep during it so I can't really talk.

Mulholland Drive puts you to sleep with its insufferable surreality and non-sense-making-ness. And then the opera at the end. That did me in.

the song is one of my favorite things in anything ever

it's haunting and beautiful and feels like something genuinely magical

• Options

Move to the northeast! We have everything up here, and all the cool stuff is within driving distance. It's cold, but you can go skiing. :D

(V) ( ;,,; ) (V)
  • Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    Irond Will wrote: »

try the east coast. i didn't care for texas but liked dc and love boston

yeah, i almost moved to boston

austin is basically just iowa city only spread way the fuck out so i have to drive 30-60 mins to get a place that would take 2 mins of driving or 10 minutes of walking previously

it's not that cool

like nothing here is cooler than what i had in iowa city.

• Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    You are like a grown ass man only now learning how to touch boobies. That is Salt Lake City.

To be fair, that can happen anywhere

• Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    So we might be heading down to the US of A near August sometime.

Drive from New York to Washington, and end it off with PAX weekend.

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    walton is just walter translated into hick
    JOHN-BOY.jpg

Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    simonwolf wrote: »

To be fair, that can happen anywhere

also to be fair, it's more of a thing to with how i grew up, i get plenty of opportunity here, i don't even know how many boobies i've touched, probably an odd amount.

Arch,
  • Options
    will i had to do a bit of legitimate research to figure out what the hell that picture was

• Options
    go easy on the waltons, it was a good show

• Options
    I've been feeling like Austin is just not for me for a few months, actually. Tonight just somehow sealed it. Took me an hour to get to Skippys. Took like 20 mins to get to the restaurant place and find parking. 20 mins back.

It's like. That could've taken 5 minutes round trip in a reasonable place. But that's EVERY SINGLE THING YOU DO EVER here.

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Who in the world wants seasons? Seasons are for chumps!

• Options
    edited January 2013
    Element Brian on

Arch,
  • Options
    -40 all week

Fuck seasons

• Options
    I guess I should live farther south before I complain, but I doubt it'd be that different. Skippy lives right by downtown and we went to a place close by still took 20 mins.

• Options
    I like winter. It reminds you what is good, you can take hot showers and it is so peaceful and still when you go out at night in the winter.

• Options
    In "Austin is a small world" world, I have a date tomorrow at a random bar I've never been to. Skippy is also meeting friends there like 2 hours later.

WE MAY RUN INTO EACH OTHER.

• Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
  • Options
    I guess I should live farther south before I complain, but I doubt it'd be that different. Skippy lives right by downtown and we went to a place close by still took 20 mins.

That's Texas in general.

When you have all that space why not sprawl out?

• Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    Oh I forgot about the military experiment monster dude from season 4.

He was pretty evil and scary, and he certainly was pretty damn close to invincible, but he had an important distinction of being a monster that was the results of mans abuse of science. He wasn't some evil magic being reveling in his power and chaos, he was an intelligent Frankensteins monster run amok.

I couldn't hate him anything like I hated Glory or
    Angelus
    . His variety of evil felt much less personal.

What about the second-tier villains? Caleb, Faith, Dark Willow, or The First? I really like your insight into these characters. :)

The whole Dark Willow saga was when the show started to fly off the rails for me. The "magic is just like drugs, kids!" angle of the storyline was trite as shit. As far as her function as a villain, it was extremely complicated. She was an overmatch for Buffy, but she wasn't ever really playing to win. On some level she always wanted to be stopped. She certainly wasn't a loathsome villain for the audience to root against, nor was she intended to be.

Faith is a disappointment. She builds the audiences hopes up repeatedly, only to dash them by failing some moral challenge or another. When she is being relentlessly evil, it's not too hard to root against her, and when but struggling to not a bitch she engenders sympathy. Having Faith in your life is like being in a relationship with a junkie. That you know they are going to fail you -again- doesn't really limit the sting when it happens, and then you take them back again anyway (you, the audience, because Buffy did have a hard limit and it was reached well before the audience's, much to Buffy's credit).

• Options
    Oh I forgot about the military experiment monster dude from season 4.

He was pretty evil and scary, and he certainly was pretty damn close to invincible, but he had an important distinction of being a monster that was the results of mans abuse of science. He wasn't some evil magic being reveling in his power and chaos, he was an intelligent Frankensteins monster run amok.

I couldn't hate him anything like I hated Glory or
    Angelus
    . His variety of evil felt much less personal.

What about the second-tier villains? Caleb, Faith, Dark Willow, or The First? I really like your insight into these characters. :)

The whole Dark Willow saga was when the show started to fly off the rails for me. The "magic is just like drugs, kids!" angle of the storyline was trite as shit. As far as her function as a villain, it was extremely complicated. She was an overmatch for Buffy, but she wasn't ever really playing to win. On some level she always wanted to be stopped. She certainly wasn't a loathsome villain for the audience to root against, nor was she intended to be.

Faith is a disappointment. She builds the audiences hopes up repeatedly, only to dash them by failing some moral challenge or another. When she is being relentlessly evil, it's not too hard to root against her, and when but struggling to not a bitch she engenders sympathy. Having Faith in your life is like being in a relationship with a junkie. That you know they are going to fail you -again- doesn't really limit the sting when it happens, and then you take them back again anyway (you, the audience, because Buffy did have a hard limit and it was reached well before the audience's, much to Buffy's credit).

I think one of the best examples of Faith's complexity is when she first appears on Angel.
    Towards the end of the episode, after she has been torturing Wesley for hours, she fights Angel and loses. She breaks down crying in his arms. And you can't help but feel sorry for her because by all accounts she is legitimately insane. The world doesn't have a place for her anymore.

(V) ( ;,,; ) (V)
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options
    Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    Instead of going to bed I purchased the new Bowie song because I hate sleep apparently.
    So good.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hiz2w_GrgaM

• Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    I barely ever curse, I like people who are exceedingly polite, I'm kind of squicked out by caffeine and alcohol and casual sex, I think Mormon Temples are eerily beautiful sometimes, and I love some of Orson Scott Card's work

I'd be a perfect fit for the Mormon church if the church wasn't homophobic and Joseph Smith wasn't a creepy charlatan who used his prophet status as leverage to get hot teenage girls to marry him

• Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    Oh hello thar

theverge.com/2013/1/25/3911942/inside-cyberpunk-2077-cd-projekt-rpg

Definition_of_braindance_1020.jpg
    Cyberpunk 2077 is set a little more than 50 years after the events of the last pen-and-paper game. It still takes place in the same location — a fictional city in between LA and San Francisco — in the gritty, rain-slicked style-world that the genre is known for. There are familiar themes, like the ascension of powerful mega corporations and enhancing our lives through cybernetic modification. The move into the future was made not only because 2020 isn't actually all that far away at this point, but also as a way to give the team a bit more creative freedom — a lot has changed over that period of time. Destroyed districts have been rebuilt, while certain technologies have advanced significantly over the years.

"THIS STILL IS THE SAME CITY."

Among these is a new kind of entertainment called "braindances." These digital recordings let viewers fully experience events in their mind — the sites and smells of an explorer out on an adventure, for instance, or if you're into underground recordings, you can check out what it's like to be a serial killer. In 2020 braindances were still a nascent technology, but in 2077 they've become a massive entertainment industry that has incited widespread social problems. "People live someone else’s life while sleeping in the gutter," explains Janiszewski. "It’s like a new drug."

Of course, it's not just the world of Cyberpunk that's changed, it's also the medium. And unfortunately we still haven't seen the game in action, though the developer recently released a CG teaser trailer designed to capture the feeling that it wants to evoke with the final product. "We wanted to have a clip, which will show people who know Cyberpunk that we know what we’re doing, but at the same time many newcomers would find attractive," Janiszewski says of the decision to go with a CG trailer. Cyberpunk 2077 is described simply as "an ambitious RPG for mature audience" with few other details available. However, CD Projekt has a strong pedigree when it comes to developing RPGs based on existing works of fiction. The studio's most notable work, The Witcher series, is based on a collection of fantasy novels from Polish author Andrzej Sapkowski.

But adapting a game and adapting a series of books aren't quite the same. With The Witcher, CD Projekt had to create new stories that fit into the existing mythology, but since Cyberpunk 2077 takes place decades after the original, there's a lot more freedom to simply build on Pondsmith's world. However, turning a pen-and-paper RPG into a digital experience comes with its own set of problems. Namely, the challenge of adapting existing mechanics into a new game. "We want to keep as many of the mechanics as possible," Janiszewski explains. "Of course, this is not always possible. We made a lot of prototypes and checked against what is fun in a video game — some things work well with other people but don’t translate to the screen in an interesting way." It's a balancing act between creating something that works in a video game while staying true to the source material. "We have someone else’s system that we have to be careful with."

"WE HAVE SOMEONE ELSE’S SYSTEM THAT WE HAVE TO BE CAREFUL WITH."

That quest for authenticity will also include letting players print off character sheets that can be used in the pen-and-paper version — which is good news considering that Pondsmith is hard at work on creating a revamped version of the tabletop game. He's also serving in somewhat of a consulting role on Cyberpunk 2077, helping the team at CD Projekt stay true to the original vision. "Nobody knows the setting better than its creator, and filling the 50 years of history of a game with the guy that made the original setting is the best thing we could have done," says Janiszewski. "Mike is the factor that allows us to easily check if our ideas are in line with his vision of the world."

There's a lot of of existing lore to draw on, but the team at CD Projekt is also looking outside of the Cyberpunk universe for inspiration. Aside from the obvious candidates like Blade Runner and Ghost in the Shell, the developers have written a blog post citing games like Syndicate, Fallout 2, System Shock, and Deus Ex as sources of inspiration. The latter is particularly interesting as 2011's Deus Ex: Human Revolution is part of a recent small wave of cyberpunk-themed games, which also includes titles like the text adventure Cypher and upcoming releases like Quadrilateral Cowboy, Capcom's Remember Me, and Shadowrun Returns and Shadowrun Online — another series based on a tabletop RPG. But this competition doesn't cause any concern for Janiszewski when it comes to making sure the game stands out. "Our Cyberpunk is the Cyberpunk and not another cyberpunk production," he says. "It has the most iconic setting for the genre."

"NOBODY KNOWS THE SETTING BETTER THAN ITS CREATOR."

There are a lot of issues to deal with when it comes to adapting a long-running property, but the most difficult might just be striking the balance between satisfying existing fans and luring in new players. The more modern setting is part of CD Projekt's plan to satisfy both types. "The game is set 50 years after the events they know," Janiszewskisays of existing Cyberpunk fans, "so to an extent they are newcomers, too. So this is a new story in the world some might know. But even so, anyone can easily immerse themselves into the story." The flashy CG trailer certainly helped spark interest as well, but in the end it will be the gameplay the determines whether or not people will actually want to pick up the game. It may be quite a while before we get more concrete details on that aspect, though — in fact, the team won't even say when it plans to release the game or on what platforms.

"When it is a complete creation, which satisfies our standards," Janiszewski said when asked when Cyberpunk 2077 will launch. "That’s all I can say."

• Options
    will i had to do a bit of legitimate research to figure out what the hell that picture was

it was pretty much old and on its way out when i was wee. the gimmick i remember was that the end of every episode showed the outside of the house at night and all the members of the family would say good night to each other

"g'night paw"

"g'night maw"

"g'night john boy"

Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    the "Clampett" episodes of the West Wing where they make buffoons of themselves are some of my favorites

• Options

nah. in terms of south, austin is as good as it's gonna get

hot and spread out and mostly stripmally/ housing developy but with some cool things to do if you're willing to drive half an hour to get to them

also: plenty of parking!

Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    I barely ever curse, I like people who are exceedingly polite, I'm kind of squicked out by caffeine and alcohol and casual sex, I think Mormon Temples are eerily beautiful sometimes, and I love some of Orson Scott Card's work

I'd be a perfect fit for the Mormon church if the church wasn't homophobic and Joseph Smith wasn't a creepy charlatan who used his prophet status as leverage to get hot teenage girls to marry him

Imagine how strange life would be if you found yourself in a position where, by saying the right words at the right time with the right tone, you can make people believe absolute rubbish.

I doubt I could avoid using it for evil if I ever acquired it.

By evil, I mean sexing ladies way out of my wheelhouse.

• Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    @desc sorry I am an easily frustrated butt

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options

Are you also short with a full head of hair

Because then you will be

My opposite

• Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    Madden can S my D

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • Options
This discussion has been closed.