As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Marvel Heroes] F2P -- Become an Agent of WANG! Guild Info in OP

• Options
    GeddoeGeddoe Registered User regular
    So, is the hero drop an actual item? Cause I don't want to need 5 spider-mans for Thor's Mjolnir set. And if you are partied up, and Hulk drops; does everybody in your team get it or just one person?

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Loot is specific to a person. You won't even see other people's loot drops.

• Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    Dirtyboy wrote: »

This is a good read.

I'm glad he was at least partially inspired by Ultimate Alliance. That game's the reason I'm looking forward to this one.

• Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    The cost is giving me pause for sure. $20 for a hero and in-game currency.

Really I just want to spend money on a complete xmen legends or MUA game but I guess we live in the freemium age.

Maybe I can get in open beta and assess. I'm not opposed to $20 for a decent game with enough chuckles with PA-bros but that's just one hero out of whatever starting roster and whatever else 15 fun bux buys.

Will just have to see, I guess.

• Options
    MaclayMaclay Insquequo Totus Es Unus Here and ThereRegistered User regular
    The way I see it is that I've paid $20 to be able to play a character (or characters) I give a crap about from the start instead of slogging through with "some guy" until I happen to get a good drop.
    I've bought the Ms. Marvel pack, and my hope is that the included currency will be enough to pick up Cyclops right away.
    My money also goes toward the hope that the game does well enough that they'll eventually be able to introduce some of the less known characters I enjoy.

• Options
    DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular
    At the current rates $15 of Marvelbux would get you 2-5 heroes depending on how popular they are.

• Options
    So the more popular a hero is, the more money they cost, or is it the other way around?

Because I could see the justification for either.

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Completely uninformed, I'd assume the former, at least from my experience with similar game store setups.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    That was my first thought on the subject.

I guess I'm just hoping it's the other way around. :p

• Options
    slurpeepoopslurpeepoop Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    If it's anything like the kid's version they have, when a new guy is offered, they charge a premium price. As time goes on, the price drops if it is a second-tier guy, but the price will stay high if it's one of the more famous or popular characters.

They also have the "this character is only available for a limited time!!!!" And those characters go for the higher price.

They do have holiday sales, with discounts for most characters, but for the most part, the popular characters or the ones that are time-sensitive stay at the higher price.

I'm really, really hoping the higher price for guys doesn't eclipse the $10 mark. In the kid's version, the highest priced guys go for just under $10, but you can earn them in 6 days if you log on each day and are subscribed.

That isn't an option in MH. Characters are random drop only, and so far, you can get character drops for guys you already own.

slurpeepoop on
  • Options
    If it's anything like the kid's version they have, when a new guy is offered, they charge a premium price. As time goes on, the price drops if it is a second-tier guy, but the price will stay high if it's one of the more famous or popular characters.

They also have the "this character is only available for a limited time!!!!" And those characters go for the higher price.

They do have holiday sales, with discounts for most characters, but for the most part, the popular characters or the ones that are time-sensitive stay at the higher price.

I'm really, really hoping the higher price for guys doesn't eclipse the $10 mark. In the kid's version, the highest priced guys go for just under $10, but you can earn them in 6 days if you log on each day and are subscribed.

That isn't an option in MH. Characters are random drop only, and so far, you can get character drops for guys you already own.

OOF.

So is there a trading system of any sort? If I've got a duplicate of a hero it would be nice for there to be some way to get rid of it.

• Options
    edited February 2013
    I meant that the more popular a hero is in the comics or movies the more they are likely to cost. Like how Deadpool is solo in the $60 founder's pack. Next beta session isn't until Tuesday, so won't be able to look at the store again til then.

EDIT: Found a screenshot of the store. When you start the game you pick from one of five heroes (Daredevil, Storm, Thing, Scarlet Witch, and Hawkeye). After you pick, the other four go into the store for discounted price (160g). The most popular or mainstream (by comics or movie) heroes are 960g, mid-range are 480g, and lesser known heroes are 240g. I am assuming 1000g = $10, but could be totally wrong.

ibg5wwZRXGjhlG.png

Dirtyboy on
  • Options
    Ah. Yeah, I suppose that was the most likely outcome. Good to know though.

• Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    I want to play this game already. Gimme.

In terms of the stats, I assume an Accuracy / Ranged guy would be firing smaller attacks with better to-hit? How does energy ranged vs willpower ranged?

Does agility affect move speed, just affect the dice in terms of attacks missing?

Gimme something to chew on, people.

• Options
    citizen059citizen059 hello my name is citizen I'm from the InternetRegistered User regular
    edited February 2013
    Also, re: the popularity/cost thing...

I haven't played this one yet to see, but in the kid's game, character cost is almost always based on popularity and newness (as stated above), and is NOT an indicator of power.

Sometimes the most expensive characters turn out to be pretty weak. I play the game with my 8 year old, and as an example I can end nearly every mission as the top damage dealer using Wasp.

Wasp. That amazing powerhouse of destruction.
    Of course it all comes down to the abilities each character has. In SHSO, Wasp has a cheap AOE that hits multiple times and has a pretty huge knockback effect, meaning I can plow into a group of enemies, do huge damage, knock them all down, and recharge the move before they can even hit me.

citizen059 on
  • Options
    Just got email detailing what's in tomorrow's big content patch, here's some of the highlights:

Chapter 7: The Savage Land

Where dinosaurs walk the earth! Travel to the Savage Land, meet dinosaurs, and in the immortal words of Colossus, get to fight them. Battle against Sauron and discover the schemes of Mr. Sinister!

New Heroes, Powers, and Costumes

Play as Spider-Man, Thor, Cyclops or Colossus - just press 'X' to buy them from the in-game store (we'll supply Gs)!

We added new powers for every hero! Also, more than 20 new costumes have been added to the store including new costumes for existing characters.

Crafting

We are debuting the first version of our crafting system! Talk to Wonder Man in Avengers Tower for a tutorial. Naturally, Hank Pym is the master crafter to be found in Avengers Tower, and Forge is your contact at Xavier's School.

Other stuff includes improved UI, storyline resets (for replaying on new toons), boosters, friends list.

• Options
    That all sounds very substantial. Counting the Savage Lands, how many locations/levels are there in the game right now?

• Options
    Seven chapters total. Each one is maybe 1-3 hours of content, but mostly everything is repeatable. It took me around 14 hours to hit the current max level of 25 during six chapters with a single hero.

• Options
    Okay, nice. That's good to know.

• Options
    TommattTommatt Registered User regular
    This game looks pretty amazing. Sceptical of it being F2P. Part of me just wants a big huge sequel to MUA. If done right it could be really cool and good. I'm tempted to throw money down in hopes it'll be really good. And that they'll add in gambit :).

Definitely going to try this when it comes out

• Options
    edited February 2013
    "In honor of Valentine's Day, we are celebrating the most iconic couple in Marvel History - Jean Grey and Cyclops . We are pleased to announce that during this Valentine's Day, anyone who buys ANY Starter Pack or ANY Premium Pack* from the Marvel Heroes Founders Program will receive both Jean Grey (Phoenix costume) and Cyclops (Astonishing costume) as an exclusive Valentine's Day bonus (in addition to the pack that was purchased). Just purchase your pack anytime between 12:01 AM and 11:59 PM PST on February 14th to receive your bonus at launch!

*If you choose to buy either the Cyclops or the Jean Grey Starter Pack, you will only receive either Jean Grey or Cyclops as a bonus (whichever one you did not purchase). This offer does not apply to the Uncanny X-Men or Marvel NOW! Premium Packs (as they both already contain Jean Grey and Cyclops). Happy Valentine's Day!

Sincerely,

The Marvel Heroes Team"

https://presale.marvelheroes.com/

Dirtyboy on
  • Options
    RizziRizzi Sydney, Australia.Registered User regular
    So uh.. Does this actually have a release date?
    'cause it seems pretty cool from what I've seen.

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2013
    "In honor of Valentine's Day, we are celebrating the most iconic couple in Marvel History - Jean Grey and Cyclops . We are pleased to announce that during this Valentine's Day, anyone who buys ANY Starter Pack or ANY Premium Pack* from the Marvel Heroes Founders Program will receive both Jean Grey (Phoenix costume) and Cyclops (Astonishing costume) as an exclusive Valentine's Day bonus (in addition to the pack that was purchased). Just purchase your pack anytime between 12:01 AM and 11:59 PM PST on February 14th to receive your bonus at launch!

*If you choose to buy either the Cyclops or the Jean Grey Starter Pack, you will only receive either Jean Grey or Cyclops as a bonus (whichever one you did not purchase). This offer does not apply to the Uncanny X-Men or Marvel NOW! Premium Packs (as they both already contain Jean Grey and Cyclops). Happy Valentine's Day!

Sincerely,

The Marvel Heroes Team"

That seems like a really neat thing to do, but... not sure how to say this without coming across as an entitled gamer asshole... it sounds like it's just aimed at people who haven't bought in yet. Good way to pull more people in, but it'd be nice if it applied to people who are already Founders as well. I suppose that could be challenging, since many of those people may already have one, the other or both (as noted above, I bought in for Cyclops), but if you're going to throw 1-2 bonus characters at people joining a bit later to the party, why not sweeten the deal for those who are already onboard for $20-200? (perhaps a few bucks extra starter cash or some more boosters? Obviously the 200 tier folks have no need for these so-called "extra characters").

At a glance it seems like the bonus currency is already in place, so it seems like a flat out boost above and beyond.

Again, trying to not come across as an asshole here, and maybe I'm just spoiled by Kickstarter, but a reward/bonus that doesn't get applied to those who are already Founders seems a bit off somehow.

... hatemail bearers and pitchfork wielding mobs can start a line to the left.

Late edit: I suppose given that people can buy multiple Founders packs, the argument can be made that it just incentivizes people to buy in again with a different character and get 2-3 heroes (assuming they don't already have one or both) for the price of 1 (plus the other goodies in the pack), but that'd be a bit more intriguing if there were a lower ($5-10) price point. $25-30 vs $40+. But at that point I may simply be nitpicking. Err, moreso.

It does strike me as funny that if, instead of buying in with Cyclops, I had waited, I could've bought in with Wolverine instead and gotten all three for my own little love triangle of characters.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    Yeah, I was going to come in here and inquire as to whether or not that was the case.

I can understand why it's not, but it would have been a good bonus.

• Options
    SightTDWSightTDW Registered User regular
    I know I'm in the group of people that already bought the Cyclops starter pack, but I bought it when they were handing out extra in-game currency with it. In theory I should get more than one free character of my choosing. I'm pretty okay with people that buy on this exact day not being able to choose the two they get.

Live - SightTDW | PSN - SightTDW | Nintendo Network - Wildschwein | 3DS - 1934-0834-9797
    Steam - Wildschwein | The Backlog
    Grappling Hook Showdown - Tumblr
  • Options
    Giving it more thought, I'm fine with it.

Like you mentioned, Sight, just about every pack comes with currency anyway, so it's not like you can't get those two characters.

In any case, the promotion is working. :p If I can get a guaranteed source of income on campus before the deal's up, I'll go ahead and grab the Spidey pack in addition to what I've already gotten.

• Options
    Forar wrote: »

Sincerely,

The Marvel Heroes Team"

That seems like a really neat thing to do, but... not sure how to say this without coming across as an entitled gamer asshole... it sounds like it's just aimed at people who haven't bought in yet. Good way to pull more people in, but it'd be nice if it applied to people who are already Founders as well. I suppose that could be challenging, since many of those people may already have one, the other or both (as noted above, I bought in for Cyclops), but if you're going to throw 1-2 bonus characters at people joining a bit later to the party, why not sweeten the deal for those who are already onboard for $20-200? (perhaps a few bucks extra starter cash or some more boosters? Obviously the 200 tier folks have no need for these so-called "extra characters").

At a glance it seems like the bonus currency is already in place, so it seems like a flat out boost above and beyond.

Again, trying to not come across as an asshole here, and maybe I'm just spoiled by Kickstarter, but a reward/bonus that doesn't get applied to those who are already Founders seems a bit off somehow.

Late edit: I suppose given that people can buy multiple Founders packs, the argument can be made that it just incentivizes people to buy in again with a different character and get 2-3 heroes (assuming they don't already have one or both) for the price of 1 (plus the other goodies in the pack), but that'd be a bit more intriguing if there were a lower ($5-10) price point. $25-30 vs $40+. But at that point I may simply be nitpicking. Err, moreso.

It does strike me as funny that if, instead of buying in with Cyclops, I had waited, I could've bought in with Wolverine instead and gotten all three for my own little love triangle of characters.

So glad I came back here and read that. Just saw the sale doesn't start until Feb 14th. Almost just bought the wolverine pack. Figure might as well, I'm going to play this game when it comes out. So $20 for this seems like a good deal. The question is who to buy. I think I'd have the most fun with wolverine, but he'll be really popular. I figure with Jean and Cyclops to try out, I have to go with a big melee guy. The hulk pack is tempting. Maybe I should do so research since I have another day.

• Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    Tommatt wrote: »
    Forar wrote: »

Sincerely,

The Marvel Heroes Team"

So glad I came back here and read that. Just saw the sale doesn't start until Feb 14th. Almost just bought the wolverine pack. Figure might as well, I'm going to play this game when it comes out. So $20 for this seems like a good deal. The question is who to buy. I think I'd have the most fun with wolverine, but he'll be really popular. I figure with Jean and Cyclops to try out, I have to go with a big melee guy. The hulk pack is tempting. Maybe I should do so research since I have another day.

Resident guy with all the information Dirtyboy has pointed out a bit on Hulk before:

The Thing is a team based control dude with damage

The hulk is about rocking out and mass murdering fools.

• Options
    The thing seems like he'd be my thing, only with randoms hulk is probably best :D. Is wolverine available in beta yet?

A big part of my equation could be on who do I think will drop more likely/go on sale more often lol.

• Options
    VikingViking Registered User regular
    the first youtube video in the OP has a lot of gameplay footage of Wolverine so you can get an idea how he plays from that.
    There is a hulk bouncing around in that same video that looks to be a lot of fun.

steam_sig.png
    Bravely Default / 3DS Friend Code = 3394-3571-1609
  • Options
    I'll check out the videos but the more I think about it I should probably buy wolverine. I like the character, and he's always done well enough to have fun in video games it seems. Wheras the hulk they always messed up.

Plus wolverine is going to sell like hot cakes so he'll be OP as shit :p
    Just joking
    probably not

• Options
    VikingViking Registered User regular
    If he is OP then everyone will play him. if they are all playing him they are not playing/buying other characters. as a result he will get nerfed into the ground to encourage other purchases(the new hotness). Dinosaurs eat man, woman inherits the earth.

steam_sig.png
    Bravely Default / 3DS Friend Code = 3394-3571-1609
  • Options
    RizziRizzi Sydney, Australia.Registered User regular
    I still maintain that I want Marrow as a playable character.

• Options
    edited February 2013
    Wolverine is indeed playable and totally not OP. The heroes I've played so far (Thing, Wolverine, Thor) all have a good balance of abilities that keep them useful in every fight. Wolverine has single target melee, AE melee, charge (rush attacks) abilities, plus his healing factor.

All three characters I've played have ways to get to targets quickly, AE abilities, group buffs, and passives. There are no traditional tank/healer/dps roles, and if you somehow manage to not be effective you can take a few seconds and swap to another hero you have unlocked at any time.

Just a note, currently there are a limited number of hotkeys. Primary attacks are only left/right mouse and secondary abilities use the keys ASDFGH (H is used as default for med packs). There are more character abilities than there are hotkeys so you have to choose which ones you want equipped. You can swap them in and out at any time. Primary attacks may only be assigned to the two mouse buttons so you can never have more than two equipped at once. Secondary attacks may only be assigned to ASDFGH (you can rebind).

Here's a pic showing the hero ratings (with bonus example of orange-level artifact):

ibjXPSaIWj9PLO.png

Dirtyboy on
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Just want to follow up on the previous post and say that the game isn't super deep. You have maybe 4-6 abilities per three skill trees, so you're not going to have a whole lot of theorycrafting with strange character builds. Some of the abilities are just upgraded replacements to base ones and some are just passives you don't need to equip. It's essentially bash/blast everything to death at this point in beta. Bash, loot, repeat.

Dirtyboy on
  • Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    Welp, I'm playing MUA 2 again.

• Options
    Do all the items have descriptions like that, with a quote from someone like Reed Richards?

Because that's a detail that I think is really cool, as dorky as that is.

• Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    Do all the items have descriptions like that, with a quote from someone like Reed Richards?

Because that's a detail that I think is really cool, as dorky as that is.

I'm guessing just for artifacts, which are probably the top-end of rarity.

• Options
    All the orange level items have quotes.

• Options
    argh. Why'd I have to watch videos of this, see pirate deadpool, and then go look for a starter pack with him hoping for the pirate costume? If I knew I was going to play this for awhile, it is tempting. You get $80 of in game currency with it. So it covers itself if this game is good, and you keep playing it.

This discussion has been closed.