As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[D&D 4E] Aundair? I hardly knew 'er! (IC Thread)

• Options
    GatsbyGatsby Registered User regular
    Antimatter wrote: »
    Feld drags Riela back and winks at Emmahk. "Thank you all, guards. I hope to write a letter of commendation to your superiors."

This subtle gesture captures the attention of you all. It's not particularly laced with subterfuge but hints at a kind of familiarity, yet as a group of guards none of you have ever personally met Feld and Riela.

Passive Perception/Insight:
    The way the duo has acted and proceeded, understanding protocol while remaining restrained and orderly in their conduct hints at them being more than mere adventurers.

OOC:
    I'll allow you all to make Perception/Insight checks to see if there is anything to this hunch you collectively have regarding the two "civilians."

• Options
    DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    Emmahk winks back.
    Insight check: Insight vs. Wink: 1d20+1 21

0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    HunteraHuntera Rude Boy Registered User regular
    Blinking confusedly, Oristok takes a moment to actually look at the two who aided them.

• Options
    "Actually, come to think, why don't you stay a while and we can chat about exactly where you were going on this train?" Emmahk crosses her arms over her chest. "I should have seen it earlier. 'I am a good citizen, and I want no part in this', really."

0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    Feld darts his eyes back and forth. "Do we really need to talk about this now?" Feld hisses. "Especially with these ruffians causing trouble?"

• Options
    interrobanginterrobang kawaii as  hellRegistered User regular
    Riela stumbles a bit when Feld yanks on her collar and drags her away, catching herself on a seat to keep from falling flat on her backside. She glowers at him from over her shoulder, hoping that he realizes that if they weren't undercover she'd likely sock him in the nose for his offense. Straightening up, she tucks away her talisman with a nimble sleight of hand and stares down the aisle towards Emmahk and the other guards.

"I was just on my way to Dura," she lies, affecting a lowborn accent that she prays sounds as authentic to the Dragonborn as it does inside her own head. "Just on my way home, s'all."
    Bluff: 1d20+0 5

• Options
    The dragonborn holds up a hand. "Please, don't embarrass yourself. I think we all know what's going on here." She looks at the two humans, then at herself, the hobgoblin, the tiefling, and Dirk. "Improvisational skills aside, I can't particularly fault the superiors for electing you to the position. You're far less notable. Even with the hat."

Emmahk snickers at Feld's hat before looking down at the manacled prisoner. "Now, please keep in mind, if you remember any of this, you'll find out more about that unpleasantness I spoke of."

0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    Holly laughs to herself over hearing the group "I don't know, if i had her amazing way with words i might be able to pass as human myself."

She stands up and walks towards the group "Listen, we should put the prisoner out for now, share our need to know secrets of the moment and press on. Every minute we waste here is one they are making progress."

• Options
    Ensuring no traps lay ahead, you swiftly knock out the last conscious bandit and rope him up next to his other blacked out partners before making your way into the next carriage. The speed of the train is steadily climbing, once it hits the more level tracks of Middle Menthis you know its velocity will spike up.

encounter1a_r2_zpse10e6d59.png

Inside the next compartment you find yourselves in a narrow but manageable hallway. With the way it's spaced and the number of rooms there are, you'll have to proceed single file yet maintain enough distance to allow others to pass. Armed with your gear and the knowledge of there being two bandits hidden in the bunk rooms of this carriage, you're easily able to ascertain the quarters the first bandit is located. From behind the door you hear the rustle of his cloak and impatient footsteps. He's obviously agitated and the noise caused by his state-of-mind is enough to give away his position while also distracting him enough to allow you to crowd the area outside of his location. Meanwhile the second can be heard down the hallway as a faucet of water is heard turning off followed by heavy footsteps and a gruff cough.

With the more heavily armoured of you up front, you prepare to breach.

OOC:
    Two warnings before you proceed: Neither bandit knows you're here so you may either try to set up a plan of attack, or you can kick down the door of the room you're right outside of (with Dichotomy in front of the door at K,2) and take the first bandit by surprise, alerting the other to your presence. Either way the second you give the signal, we'll begin to roll Initiative.

• Options
    Holly takes out her chalk and slate and writes on it 'We kick in both doors at the same time' and passes it down to the group with the chalk to start the planning.

• Options
    edited February 2013
    Emmahk nods, pointing at Holly to take position at the other door. She waits until the tiefling is ready, then counts down from three on raised fingers before kicking in the door.

"Surprise inspection!" she yells.
    Breaking Door: 1d20+5 17

Dichotomy on
    0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    Holly quickly takes her place in the ambush and when Emmahk hits one throws herself aginast the door.

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Stepping up to help her, Dirk throws his own foot against the panelled wood.
    Kick open the door: 1d20+4 8

Toss

It remained resolutely closed. "Bloody thing."

• Options
    "Jehosaphat! Is this really the best course of action?" Feld looks at the door, and looks at the group. "Hold on." Feld elbows his way through, and knocks on the far door. "Sorry about that, I've got friends that imbibe too often. Can I talk to you for a second?"
    Bluff check:1d20+8=10

• Options
    Encounter One (Part Two)!
    Surprise Round!
    encounter1a_r2a_zpsd785f9bb.png

Emmahk successfully kicks her door in, sending the bandit leaning his back against the door reeling into the small ensuite bathroom, with enough force that the would-be ambusher slips and knocks his nose against the sink with a resounding and sickening crack! Confused and bewildered, not to mention copious blood pouring down his face now, all he can do is scream a gurgled, "Wha tha bloody 'ell!"

Meanwhile Holly tries throwing her weight against the second door at the exact same time. Unfortunately it doesn't budge, even when Dirk steps up to deliver a powerful kick, which glances off the side and only deals a significant dent in the wood panelling. By the time Feld steps up to excuse his way in, the bandit is angered and confused by the commotion. He wrenches open the door, hand still wet from washing them and his weapon by his side. The sight before him is a poor one, at best.

ROLL INITIATIVE!

OOC:
    Surprise round everyone, you've caught the bandits off-guard and they have no clue what the hell is going on, so despite whatever their initiative is you all get a turn of attack before they can even act.

Stats:
    Enemies:
    Bandits: HP -37; AC - 16; Fort - 12; Ref - 14; Will - 12
    Traits: The bandit deals 1d6 extra damage against any creature granting combat advantage to it.

Initiative:
    Bandit 2, 37/37 HP (E,3): 1d20 + 6 = 26

Bandit 1, PRONE, 37/37 HP (K,4): 1d20 + 6 = 22

• Options
    Emmahk stands in the doorway, the light from the hall tickling around the edges of her bulk. "Dead or alive, you're coming with me," she says. The statement is punctuated by the heavy thud of her flail's head hitting the wooden floor.

0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    Feld silently cracks his staff over the top of the bandit's skull.
    Attack vs AC:1d20+6=26
    Damage: 12

Initiative: 1d20+9=20

• Options
    Emmahk steps into the room, stooping slightly to make it through the doorframe. She rises to her full height, looking down on the prone bandit with a smirk.

"This feels right, yes," she says, seconds before her flail, accompanied by a brutal crack, collides with the man's jaw in an upward stroke.
    Move: K,3
    Standard: Dominator's Strike on Bandit 1

Dominator's Strike vs AC: 1d20+9 - CRITICAL HIT 29 1d10+7 17
    Effect: Emmahk gains 3 temporary hit points.

0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Heedless of what it may do to her cover, Riela steels herself for combat and prepares to dart toward Emmahk's position as soon as the opportunity presents itself.
    Initiative: 1d20+4 19

interrobang on
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    "My dragonborn friend, you might wanna work on your one-liners a tad." Oristok leisurely saunters to the far side of the door Emmahk is currently standing in, better to be closer if somebody is in need. "But really, don't mind me none, my crossbow seem it'd be a tiny bit dangerous in these cramped areas."

Huntera on
  • Options
    Holly gets ready, slightly faster than before all excited from her inability to check a door.
    11! That's slightly better than 9!

• Options
    edited February 2013
    "Hrmph, can't get a crossbow bolt off in that kinda space, at least not safely." Oristok takes a glance and takes note of the cramped quarters Emmahk is fighting the bandit in, and gives a tiny 'yesss' to himself.

He yells out, "Alright miss Dragonborn, this might sting a little, but it's helping. Trust me," he finishes just as his hands clap together, a tiny thunderclap in the crowded cabin carriage while Emmahk's begins to writhes with an electric pulse, and the bandit staggers back towards the wall as the shock runs not-so-harmlessly through his nervous system.
    Move Action: to J,3
    Standard Action: Thundering Armor vs. Bandit 1

Thundering Armor vs Fortitude: 1d20+4 15 1d8+4 10 Hit!

@Dichotomy gains +1 AC until the end of my next turn.

Huntera on
  • Options
    Initiative: 1d20+2 11

Dirk lashed out at the Ruffian, hemming him in with his deadly, spinning Halberd. "You aint going anywhere, son!"

Attack and Mark the Ruffian: 1d20+8 13

• Options
    Encounter One (Part Two)!
    Surprise Round!
    encounter1a_r2a_zpsd57c430e.png

Before the bandit cornered by Dirk, Holly, and Feld can react the Marshall extends and cracks down his staff in one smooth motion across the top of the would-be-ambusher's skull. His teeth clamp down from the sheer force of the blow and several chip, cutting gums along the way, as he reels back a step crying out in pain as he clutches his concussed head. No words are spoken. No words are needed. The poncho-draped officer stands tall by the doorway ready to tackle his next move.

Meanwhile Emmahk wastes no time, rushing forward as her flail breaks the jaw of her target before he can even think about getting up off the ground. He falls onto his back, heavily wounded, but he's completely down yet as his hand still reaches for his mace by his side. All he can deliver in terms of a reply to the frightening swing by the Dragonborn is a struggled gurgle and groan. It's nothing nice. This does not phase the draconic guard though, because as soon as he begins to climb to his feet a ripple of thunder and energy crackles through the cabin, leaving Emmahk unharmed as well as invigorated, but horribly ripping into the poor bastard with deafening force.

Stats:
    Enemies:
    Traits: The bandit deals 1d6 extra damage against any creature granting combat advantage to it.

Initiative:
    Bandit 2, 25/37 HP (E,3): 1d20 + 6 = 26

Bandit 1, PRONE, 10/37 HP (K,4): 1d20 + 6 = 22

Feld, 22/22 HP (F,2): 20

Riela, 22/22 HP (M,2): 19

Emmahk, 28/28 HP (K,3): 14

Holly, 31/31 HP (D,2): 11
    Dirk, 28/28 HP (E,2): 11

Oristok, 27/27 HP (N,2): 5

• Options
    Holly takes a swing at the bandit, her luck turning around as it connects this time! Getting a nice cut in with a smallish sonic boom
    24! to hit with booming blade! he takes 8 damageAnd if he ends his turn not adjacent to me (which he is technically is now) he takes 8 more thunder damage

• Options
    edited February 2013
    Round One!
    encounter1a_r2b_zps3290da44.png

Shaking off the immense pain of the blow from the plain clothes Marshall, the bandit has little time to recover before he's hit directly in the ribs by Holly's attack. Doubling over in pain he swings ferociously at the Tiefling, his attack just about to connect with her skull before Dirk quickly parries the strike with a quick flick of his Halberd. The guard glares at the bandit's assault, and combined with the looks both Feld and Holly are giving him, he scurries backwards into the wash room within the cabin. Unfortunately for him, as he does so Holly gives him a parting gift as she silently holds out her hand, a ripple through the air knocking him right between the shoulders for good measure.

In the other room, the brutal opening to the fight from the combined efforts of Emmahk and Oristok leave their own target confused, battered, and near-broken down. He struggles to his feet, hand indecisively altering between clutching his shattered jaw and broken nose. The blood and thunder leave him in a dizzying mindset, swaying on the balls of his feet, causing his next attack to flail wildly over the heads of the two Watch guards which leaves him wide open for another blow.

Enemy Actions:
    Bandit 2:
    Standard Action: Melee attack vs. Holly

Attack: 1d20 + 7 (- 2, marked by Dirk) vs. AC = 17 Miss!!

Move Action: Shift to E,4 (take 8 thunder damage)

Bandit 1:
    Move Action: Stand up
    Standard Action: Melee attack vs. Emmahk

Attack roll: 1d20 + 7 vs. AC = 15 Miss!

Stats:
    Enemies:

Initiative:
    Bandit 2, 17/37 HP (E,3): 26

Bandit 1, 10/37 HP (K,4): 22

Feld, 22/22 HP (F,2): 20

Riela, 22/22 HP (M,2): 19

Emmahk, 28/28 HP (K,3): 14

Holly, 31/31 HP (D,2): 11
    Dirk, 28/28 HP (E,2): 11

Oristok, 27/27 HP (J,3): 5

Up next: Feld, @Antimatter

Gatsby on
  • Options
    "There's six of us. There's two of you, and you're both injured badly. Be reasonable, and stand down," Feld addresses to the bandit.
    Feld squeezes between the hall and Dirk, and walks into the room. He looks at the bandit, and stares.
    Move to E3.
    Standard action: Intimidate vs Bandit 2's Will

1d20+8=10
    Next up: @interrobang

• Options
    edited February 2013
    With the hallway clear for several meters in either direction, it's easy for Riela to scramble up the length of the car and bring up the rear, attempting to peek into the cabin from around Emmahk's considerable bulk.

She flexes her fingers, digs her heels into the wood beneath her feet, and thrusts her arm outward, palm-first, in the bandit's direction. For a single moment, the thug feels the hairs on the back of his neck tingle as the air around him crackles, but that moment of cognizance isn't enough to save him; the shock wave's impact pulverizes his ribcage and throws him back against the rear wall. The back of the bandit's head smashes against the glass window, nearly shattering it, and his lifeless corpse slumps down onto the floor.
    Move Action: to K2
    Standard Action: Thunder of Judgment vs Fortitude on Bandit 1:

1d20+4 23 (hit!)
    2d6+4 15

Next Up: Emmahk @Dichotomy

interrobang on
  • Options
    Emmahk shoots a glare down at Riela, anger plain in her saurian features. "Next time, child, stay your hand. You didn't have to kill him- I would have had him begging for the chance to surrender."

She pushes past the far smaller human, heading down the hall in the direction of the rest of the group. "I'm afraid your companion in here didn't make it!" she calls out to the other bandit. "If you want to make it, I suggest you lay down your weapons!"
    Move: G,2
    Standard: Intimidate on Bandit

Intimidate vs. Will: 1d20+10 28

0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    A low whimper is heard behind the bathroom door. You hear a heavy thud! and clank! before the door slowly opens, and the bandit reluctantly steps outside into the cabin, mace behind him in the wash room sink and hands in the air. The look behind his eyes depicts a torrid mixture of anger, terror, and pain. He walks forward and presents his hands to Feld, trying to grit his chipped and bloody teeth.

"I didn't join this crew to die on a bloody train in the middle of winter," he grunts softly. "That being said, I'm not holding my breath for you lot with what's in the next carriage."

At the mention of that he gives a sly, subtle grin, meanwhile the train has finally levelled out and is quickly gaining speed. The sound of the wind rushing past at a dangerous pace is enough to remind you how urgent your task is of stopping the locomotive and putting these railway ruffians to rest. Past the bandit you can spot outside the window the blur of two stations being whipped right past, indicating how fast your carriage seems to be hurtling, despite you not quite feeling it due to in-built stabilisers that keep all compartments steady. However you'd rather not put their threshold to the test with the possibility of a sharp turn slowly becoming more and more of a threatening probability.

OOC:
    Once you tie up the bandit and sit him down or knock him unconscious, you may proceed to the next carriage. Also to note, we are still in the same encounter. All initiative scores are the same, there is no short rest, and whatever powers you used that weren't at-wills are still used up.

• Options
    Holly looks around quickly noticing the speed of the train pick up. "Dirk, put this guy out. Everyone else, we're taking the next car. I don't know how long we have but I intend to end this quickly."

Before anyone can respond Holly takes off for the next car weapon in hand.
    Move ActionMove to -B 3, or possibly O 3, depending on how the map works out. full movement. running straight in.

Standard ActionDelay standard action until map is revealed.

Next up Dirk @solar

• Options
    edited February 2013
    Round One - Part Two!

Taking off in a blur, Holly callously barges into the next carriage. Inside she finds a dining/bar compartment. A lavish setting with smooth stone fireplaces, on top of sandstone fixtures, an oak bar that despite its wear and tear still boasts a glossy sheen, no doubt from daily polishings, and behind it a well-stocked shelf of colourful liquors and amber ales. The decor is one of simple yet more-than-welcome relaxation, definitely a carriage used in Winter months such as these where passengers are more than likely to spend good coin for a warm drink, short meal, and some time by the fire. With the lanterns slightly wavering with every passing moment as the train roars on you feel as if this would be the ideal spot to settle down fr a long ride home in such a warm, and inviting part of the train compared to the sleet and snow streaking across the windows.

Unfortunately, however, this ambience and decorum is shattered as Holly now finds herself in a compartment that now seems all too cramped despite its spacious setting which allows for table-to-table conversation, what with four criminal goons at the ready as well as an civilian tied up next to her contingent leader, Corporal Davin. The silence resulting from the Tiefling barging in is thick with awkwardness and distress. Finally it's punctuated by the captive woman barking out at Holly.

"Don't just stand there! Help me!" She yells, trying to struggle free of her bonds which seem to be attached to a coat hook on the wall opposite the bar.

"Y-yes! Help us, officer! Get rid of these bastards!" Davin cries out, too, suddenly pressing himself very close to both the wall and the civilian.

encounter1a_r3a_zps46b7be8e.png

Stats:
    Enemies:
    Goons (1, 2, 3, 4): HP - 1; AC - 17; Fort - 15; Ref - 13; Will - 13
    Traits: While at least two other human goons are within 5 squares of the goon, it gains a +2 power bonus to all defenses.

Initiative:
    Goon 1, 1/1 HP (M,3): 1d20 + 3 = 20
    Goon 2, 1/1 HP (K,4): 1d20 + 3 = 20

Goon 3, 1/1 HP (J,2): 1d20 + 3 = 13

Holly, 31/31 HP (N,3): 11

Goon 4, 1/1 HP (H,4): 1d20 + 3 = 8

OOC:
    This is the current initiative order within this carriage, we'll be starting from Melding's turn, then Solar's, then Huntera's but once this round is over we'll carry on as usual with the same initiative scores, so I suggest everyone try and get to the next carriage ASAP

Up next: Dirk, @Solar

Gatsby on
  • Options
    Holly runs in blind managing to get her hands out in front of herself, her blade just making contact with the bandit in her path, sending out wave of force knocking him cold onto the ground. Alive, but harmed.
    Delayed Action:Sword burst 17! Hit!

She takes quick survey and then struggles to remember her commander's name "Corporal Dacnin! What the hell is going on here?"

• Options
    encounter1a_r3a_zpsa115c5b3.png

"It's Davin! And I went to go speak to the conductor and then this gang waylaid myself and this young woman. We were totally caught off-guard. Isn't that right?" The Corporal yells back until he turns to the woman, now less irritated and more anxious as she takes a gulp before affirming the Corporal's statement.

"Yes! He's right, we were completely ambushed. Your officer tried to save me but was overwhelmed."

Stats:
    Enemies:
    Goons (2, 3, 4): HP - 1; AC - 17; Fort - 15; Ref - 13; Will - 13
    Traits: While at least two other human goons are within 5 squares of the goon, it gains a +2 power bonus to all defenses.

Initiative:
    Goon 2, 1/1 HP (K,4): 1d20 + 3 = 20

Goon 3, 1/1 HP (J,2): 1d20 + 3 = 13

Goon 4, 1/1 HP (H,4): 1d20 + 3 = 8

Up next: Dirk, @Solar

• Options
    Dirk runs in and lashes out at the nearest Ruffian, hoping to keep them on their back feet and draw some fire.
    I assume we are entering at the bottom? I'll move up to L3 and engage G2 and G3, since I am pretty sure my halberd has reach. Mark the target, use hack and hew.

Hack and Hew G2: 1d20+8 23

A hit! A palpable hit! Damage to G2: 1d8+4 10

Secondary attackHack and Hew G3: 1d20+8 10

Sadly that is a miss. Oh well!

Charging up past Holly, Dirk yells out a challenge. "More of you damn fools? Fine! Let's be having you then!" He lashes out at one and sends him reeling back, before jabbing at the eyes of another.

• Options
    encounter1a_r3a_zps800bcd76.png

As Dirk cuts into the goon closest to Holly, the one furthest away snaps into action. He drops the fresh bottle of rum he had pilfered from behind the bar, pulling his club out from underneath his cloak by his side, directing a hasty but altogether well-placed swing at Dirk. His arm arcs through the air until the blunt, crude cudgel smacks into the guard's head. Luckily Dirk's helmet absorbs most of the damage but the dent and rattling effect of the blow are still evident.

Enemy Actions:
    Goon 4:
    Move Action: Move to K,3
    Standard Action: Melee attack vs. Dirk

Attack roll: 1d20 + 7 vs. AC = 23 Hit!
    Damage: 5 damage

Stats:
    Enemies:
    Goons (3, 4): HP - 1; AC - 17; Fort - 15; Ref - 13; Will - 13

Initiative:
    Goon 3, 1/1 HP (J,2): 13

Dirk, 23/28 HP (L,3): 11

Goon 4, 1/1 HP (H,4): 8

Up next: Oristok, @Huntera

• Options
    edited February 2013
    Rushing up to Holly's side, Oristok draws his crossbow, kneels to steady himself and enchants his bolt all in one smooth action.

"Man, I don't get to do the orderly crossbowmen routine too often, this is great for practice!" He then takes note of the Corporal in the back:

"Oh! Hello Corporal Davin, sir! I'm glad to see you're unharmed! You and the lady friend might wanna duck in case this bolt goes wide!"
    Move Action: to N, 2
    Standard Action: Magic Weapon vs. Goon 3

Magic Weapon vs AC: 1d20+7 22 Hit! 1d8+4 6

@Melding gains a +1 bonus to attack rolls & +2 bonus to damage until the end of my turn

Up next is: Feld (@Antimatter)!

Huntera on
  • Options
    Feld darts into the carriage with his back to the wall, and gives a goon a good old fashioned jab to the face.
    Move Action: to L, 4
    Standard action: Quick Attack vs G4

Quick Attack vs AC: 1d20+5=23 Hit!
    Feld tuts as the goon goes down, unconscious. "Hope these thugs weren't paid too much, their employer might've been ripped off."

• Options
    edited February 2013
    Round Two
    encounter1a_r3a_zpsab55ba6b.png

"Excellent work, officers!" Davin yells out, beckoning the guards to come closer. His arms are outstretched, a few limp pieces of rope and his halberd in his hands. "I must say, command will be highly impressed with your efforts. Especially in helping rescue both myself and this poor, helpless woman."

The civilian in-question glares at Davin, there's obviously something more to this and it only becomes even more blindingly apparent with the next few words she mutters under her breath.

"Don't sell yourself short, officer. They couldn't have done it without you," at this, she quickly glances at the dead and unconscious bandits before looking back at you all.

Initiative:
    Feld, 22/22 HP (L,4): 20

Dirk, 23/28 HP (L,3): 11

Oristok, 27/27 HP (N,2): 5

Up Next: Riela, @interrobang

OOC:
    This was never really meant to be a huge mystery, but you may choose to question Davin on this behaviour and anything you notice or accuse him straight away with any probable cause you may have. This may all be done before interro takes their turn, however none of you may take any movement or attack actions. Only skill checks and general talking until it's your turn.

Gatsby on
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Feld has the ability to observe nearly 700 simultaneous moving objects. Impressive as this is, he can also work out where currently immobile objects have moved from.
    "Fists flown, threats made, civilian tied up. What are you playing at, Davin?"
    Insight check: 1d20+9=26

Antimatter on