As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[D&D 4E] Aundair? I hardly knew 'er! (IC Thread)

• Options
    DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    Emmahk steps just inside the carriage, making a respectful bow as she catches sight of the man at the other end. "Ah, Corporal Dannin," she exclaims, evidently pleased. "I was hoping you were unharmed."

0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    "It's pretty clear he was in on the attack. He knew about the change in course, didn't tell us about it, and the attack didn't start until he left." Holly holds her sword out ready for an attack with a devilish smile, "So, Darken, how much does a guard go for these days?"

• Options
    HunteraHuntera Rude Boy Registered User regular
    "Dakkin, did you really think the whole tied-up-already trick would fool us! We're onto your game!"

Oristok does that fingers pointing at his own eyes, then pointing at Davin thing he's seen those elven actors do sometimes before he gazes out the window to see what the hell is goin' on outside.
    Perception Check
    Perception Check: 1d20+7 16

• Options
    interrobanginterrobang kawaii as  hellRegistered User regular
    By the time Riela makes it into the last car, the fighting is over, and the disappointment on her face is practically palpable. She steps up beside Holly, folds her arms across her chest and shifts her weight impatiently from foot to foot. She's already blown her cover once - she's not going to do it again by opening her mouth and saying something out of character.

• Options
    GatsbyGatsby Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    Insight and Perception checks:
    The Corporal is flustered, and realise that even though the bandits aren't the smartest bunch they would have taken Davin's halberd for their own, not left it right next to him. The fact that he couldn't have been tied up as well as the fact that you never heard him yell for help and how the civilian woman is reacting to his remarks and actions all point to a single assumption: Davin was with the bandits.

"Wha...What am I playing at?" Davin falters, his grip tightening even more around his weapon. He drops the rope as he glances over his shoulder for a split second at the woman. Turning back he considers the poncho-draped man in front of him. The stature and way he regards himself is all the Corporal needs to deduce something as well. "You're one of those damned Rail Marshalls aren't you...And you three!"

He jabs his halberd at Holly, Oristok, and Emmahk. The blade wavers in trepidation and anger as the sweat begins to flow from your supposed-team leader's brow.

"Shut your monstrous mouths! I still can't believe the Watch ever let things like you in. You people, diluting the worth of us who toil and suffer. We didn't fight the Last War and persevere through previous ages just so your kind could prosper and taint the good city of Sharn!"

"Oi! Mr. Soapbox shut it! Did they not just come in here at the risk of their own lives to possibly save any innocents like me-"

"I said SHUT IT!" At the entrance of Riela, Davin damn near snaps the staff-end of his weapon. "That's it you lot, I've had it! And for the record, the name is Corporal Andrew Mallory Davin!"

encounter1a_r3a_zpsbbaacec8.png

Stats:
    Enemies:
    Corporal Davin (Town Guard): HP - 47; AC - 19; Fort - 16; Ref - 15; Will - 14

Initiative:
    Feld, 22/22 HP (L,4): 20

Riela, 22/22 HP (N,4): 19

Emmahk, 28/28 HP (M,2): 14

Holly, 31/31 HP (N,3): 11
    Dirk, 23/28 HP (L,3): 11

Davin, 47/47 HP (C,2): 1d20 + 5 = 8

Oristok, 27/27 HP (N,2): 5

Up Next: Riela, @interrobang

Gatsby on
  • Options
    "Hey come now! Dirk might not be as pretty as i am, but monster? Sir you go too far!"

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    "That's damn righ- wait, what?"

• Options
    "It's okay Dirk, you have a steady job, a good income, and are responsible. Ladies like that."

• Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    edited February 2013
    "Now is not the time for jokes, Holly!" Feld snaps. "We have a job to do."

Antimatter on
  • Options
    "Hey, I'm just trying to make Dirk feel better. Besides, we already won. 6 of us, one of him. None of his comrades were much of of a fight, Derwood will die or surrender like the rest of them"

• Options
    edited February 2013
    What may have originated as an unsettling bout of cognitive dissonance had given way to a bristling, righteous anger; anyone so willing to turn traitor and take action against the city they were charged to protect deserved no mercy, and Riela did not intend to show any.

Engulfed with rage, she screams and takes several loping steps forward, bustling past Dirk and Feld in the process. She grits her teeth and whips her arm in Davin's direction; a thin needle of searing light jets from her fingers, whizzes past the ex-corporal's ear with an audible sizzling sound, and shatters the glass-paneled lantern hanging from the wall behind him.
    Move Action: To K3
    Standard Action:
    Hand of Radiance vs Reflex on Corporal What's-His-Name:

1d20+4 5 (miss!)
    1d4+4 7 (null!)

Next Up: Emmahk @Dichotomy

interrobang on
  • Options
    Emmahk withstands the force of Corporal Drabble's absolutely unconscionable prejudicial tirade with a sour look, punctuating it with a sharp exhalation of chill vapor from her nostrils. As Riela moves forward, so does the dragonborn; the alacrity of the motion couldn't fairly be compared to a bolt of lightning, but neatly fits the profile of the following thunder, her long, heavy steps shaking through the room. As she reaches the corporal, she swings her flail arm laterally and brings the heavy head of the weapon thudding into the traitor's chest.
    (Note: I totally still have three temporary hit points from the Dominator's Strike earlier in the encounter)

Move: G,3
    Standard: Charge to D,3
    Free: Spirit of Vice (Domination)

Effect: Take 3 damage, deal 3 extra damage on damage roll
    Free: Dread Smite
    Effect: Target takes 5 damage and 5 ongoing damage (save ends).
    Charge Attack vs AC: 1d20+8 22 1d10+7 9
    Total: 14 damage, 5 ongoing damage (save ends).

0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    Holly follows up behind Emmahk, dodging slightly behind to slide long the bar in her charge springing at the sell-out and landing her blade into the floor. She spins back up taking another strike at him landing filming, in the counter top behind her

"Oh for the love of the Devourer!" She points up to Feld "Say one gods damn thing and i will be missing you next!"
    MoveMove to H3
    StandardCharge to C211 vs AC Miss!
    Action Point! Stand action10 vs AC

Next Up: Dirk @Solar

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    "You're a disgrace to the uniform Davros, you bloody lunatic! And I'm settling you on your arse one way or another! Hit the dirt lady, I'll deal with the bugger!"
    Villain's Menace!

: 1d20+8 19

Have that you slag!

Damage to Davros: 2d10+4 13

Target marked as well

Charging savagely at the Corporal, Halberd lowered, it's point glistening with blood, Dirk gave the traitor a rattling blow he wouldn't forget in a hurry!

Solar on
  • Options
    encounter1a_r3a_zpsdb90a06c.png

The flail smashes into Davin's ribcage, sickening cracks reverberating around the cabin despite the gale of wind from outside the train as it roars past more towers and brightly light signage. A cold and ugly chill fills Davin from his very core and his spine shudders at the sensation, but before he can recover another blow is dealt, this time from his right flank as the civilian woman neatly dodges the thrust of Dirk's halberd over her shoulder, a few strands of hair caught in the crossfire. The blade digs deep, stabbing into his shoulder with enough force to earn a gurgled cry of pain at the two-pronged assault. Stumbling back, the hate-filled Corporal spots the hapless Tiefling to his left, right next to the terrifying Draconian. Seeing his chance he shrugs off the immense pain and lunges.

He slashes wildly, brutally, no real rhyme or rhythm just pure strength and anger. A single slash and he's cut cleanly across Holly's midsection as she struggles to pull her blade out of the bar countertop. As she feels the hot, piercing damage of the blade, Davin spins the haft end of his halberd and sweeps her to the ground in a textbook Watch manoeuvre. While Emmahk and Dirk ready to strike again, the Corporal lifts his weapon in the air, ready to deal a final blow to the swordmage.

"If I get out of this alive, they'll pay me handsomely for the head of one Holly Darksee-" Davin's guttural words are cut short, however, as the pressing concerns of the lightning rail come to fruition.

A snap turn and the carriage buckles and swerves, tipping at a sharp angle as it rounds a corner turning left, throwing everyone off-balance.

OOC:
    The train has suddenly shifted directions! The force threatens to throw you all into the wall, over the bar, or even out of the window!

Everyone (@Antimatter, @Dichotomy, @Huntera, @interrobang, @Melding, @Solar) make either an Athletics or Acrobatics check for me, please.

Enemy Actions:
    Corporal Davin
    Standard Action: Powerful Strike vs. Holly

Attack: 1d20 + 8 (-2 from mark) vs. AC = 22 Hit!
    Damage: 2d10 + 5 = 20 damage

Saving Throw vs. Dread Smite: 1d20 = 20 Saved!

Stats:
    Enemies:
    Corporal Davin (Town Guard): HP - 47; AC - 19; Fort - 16; Ref - 15; Will - 14

Initiative:
    Feld, 22/22 HP (L,4): 20

Riela, 22/22 HP (K,3): 19

Emmahk, 28/28 HP (D,2): 14

Holly, 11/31 HP PRONE (C,2): 11
    Dirk, 23/28 HP (E,2): 11

Davin, 15/47 HP (C,2): 8

Oristok, 27/27 HP (N,2): 5

Up Next: Oristok, @Huntera

• Options
    "Guys! Get that civilian out of there! I can't risk a shot with her there!" Oristok yells as the train wobbles under his feet, but he manages to keep himself upright enough to clap his hands together again, running forward to try to get to Holly.

• Options
    Feld, more of a scholar than an expert of moving around his own body, has difficulty dealing with the sudden jarring movement.
    Acrobatics check vs Train Wobble: 1d20+1=3

• Options
    Overextended from her swing, the sudden shift of the train causes Emmahk to stumble backwards- but the bigger they are, the better their center of gravity, of course. The soldier catches her balance and settles into a stable stance.
    Athletics Check: 1d20+5 14
    Slide: D,4

0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    Holly braces herself up against the bar and spits on the former guard which quickly ignites.

"Your mother would only pay for it still alive, you piece of shit."
    Athletics check: 15

Free ActionInfernal Wrath 9 Fire Damage

• Options
    edited February 2013
    "I don't think you guys understand the importance of Not Dying; it would take a real toll on my mental state if you guys went under so please refrain!" Oristok's thunderclap reaches a crescendo as he slams his left hand against the floor, electricity surging out towards Holly and Davin, and pulls a vial out of his bandoleer with his right, and tosses it to Holly.

Move Action: To H, 2
    Minor Action: Healing Infusion: Curative Admixture to @Melding (Your healing surge value regained as HP)
    Standard Action: Thundering Armor vs (Target 1: @Melding gains +1 AC until end of my next turn, Target 2 Davin)

Thundering Armor vs Fortitude: 1d20+4 12 Miss!

Up next, Feld, @Antimatter

Huntera on
  • Options
    Feld picks himself up and winces. He can't do much of anything right now.
    Move action: stand up.
    Next up: @interrobang

• Options
    It's plain to see that Corporal Drubbed is in poor shape. "Keep him alive," Emmahk growls.

0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    "Who said I was gonna kill him? Maiming his nervous system isn't killing him!" Oristok cracks his knuckles as loudly as he can.

Ouch, dang, I had to force those cracks I shouldn't do that, it'll ruin my hands he thinks to himself.

• Options
    Encounter Over!

encounter1a_r3b_zps3fd7b247.png

As the train swerves, and affects each person different, Davin himself goes flying over Holly and the bar into the back shelf. Bottles smash and liquor explodes everywhere as the force hurls him face-first into the colourful display of alcohol. He falls to the ground, crumpled in a heap, bloody and broken. A low groan shows he's still alive but barely conscious.

OOC:
    Congratulations! You all did well! Everyone earned 160 Experience Points, money rewarded will be dealt with shortly.

Currently Davin is alive but near-unconsciousness. You may interrogate, kill, whatever. However if there are disagreements with what to with in-character, you're going to have to negotiate and if any drastic measures are taken (such as throwing him out the train) you'll need to bluff, diplomacy, or intimidate your way past each other's defences.

• Options
    "We're tying him up. We're taking him to be tried in a court of law," Feld states as he unties the captive.

• Options
    Emmahk walks up to the Corporal, looking down on him with a rumble deep in her throat.

She puts her foot on his throat, applying just enough pressure to hamper his breathing, but not enough to suffocate. "Go ahead," she whispers to him. "Tell me how superior you are."

0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    "Alright, we need to get this train back under control" Holly starts as she is starting to stand back up, "And we should probably check the on the other passengers. Did anyone tie up the the guy from the other car?"

• Options
    "I can go get the train, whatever you guys do, make sure he knows that throwing him out the window was my idea." Oristok starts walking towards the control cabin.

"Just a suggestion."

• Options
    edited February 2013
    Acrobatics: 1d20+0 14

The lurch of the train isn't enough to send Riela tumbling, but it does throw her off-balance enough to nearly slam her into the wall. By the time she's recovered, the ex-corporal has been well taken care of, and Emmahk is already in the process of ensuring his peaceful surrender by way of a boot to the neck.

But that just won't do. Possessed by a hysterical rage, she paces across the train car and toward Davin, intending to deliver the coup de grace; her anger practically radiates off her in waves, like heat shimmering above hot sand, and her nails are dug into her palms so deeply they've drawn pinpricks of blood.

interrobang on
  • Options
    "Will do, Oristok." Holly nods to the artificer. Moving around the beat up guard and grabs a bottle off the wall and then walks over to the lady on the wall and starts to cut her down

"Oh, right you're still here."

• Options
    Having taken her pound of flesh in gloating, Emmahk grabs the corporal by the scruff of the neck, hauling him up.

"I feel I should be thanking you, Davin," she says, leaning in towards him while keeping him held. "An attack on the trains stopped, civilians saved, a number of culpable individuals arrested- and as the final boon, a traitorous weak link in the noble chain of the Sharn Watch has been taken into custody. The guards on duty are likely to win more than a few accolades.

In fact-" the dragonborn indicates her fellow non-human watchmates with a sweep of her arm- "You may have made our careers." She smiles sweetly.

0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    "Oh, and before I forget to mention it Davin! I fought for your country for YEARS in The Last War, in a mercenary company hired by House Tharashk; I probably saw more combat in the name of your kings than you did, in fact."

Oristok wheels about on his heel, "Just thought you would like to know!" he says in a sing-song voice as he heads back towards fixing the train.

• Options
    Spitting out a mouthful of blood and teeth, Davin grimaces and glares at Emmahk and Oristok. However nonetheless he is left speechless, no words able to convey the hatred yet shameful truth of the matter. All he can do is redirect his foul nature, rather than even try and come clean.

"You're a tough little wyrmling I'll give you that," another globule of spit lands on the Dragonborn's armour. "But unless you keep your little girlie on a leash there, you won't find out squat and get zero closure on all of this."

He finishes with a sly, grotesque, bloody grin as he feebly points at Riela furiously striding up from behind the rest of the group.

• Options
    "Right," Feld says. "That's it." He strides up to Davin angrily, and meets him eye to eye.
    Intimidate check:1d20+8=13

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF
    "One more word out of you, one more word. You'll be going to court in considerably damaged condition."

• Options
    "What're you gonna do? Show me some tough love? I know your type, Marshalls are picked for their pride and loyalty and general good guy attitude," he leans over slightly, against Emmahk's intense grip.

"Take your best shot, boyo.

• Options
    "Cute." Emmahk takes a clawed hand and grabs Davin by the head, wiping her armor clean of his spittle with his own face, before pushing him away and interposing herself between Riela and the Corporal.

"Stand down, girl," she warns, giving the Rail Marshal an appraising look. "This oaf has a lot of prison time ahead of him, and I'd hate for there to be any more violence today."

0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    "Uuuarrgh! You...you sick beast!

• Options
    "hey guys, i've only been in Sharn for about a year. And i came from a small town. What happens if someone got thrown onto the tracks of a lightning rail? We should really find out."

She leans over the counter and takes a swig and looks at the group.
    Intimidate18!

• Options
    Feld grits his teeth.

• Options
    Emmahk looks around the train car. "The Corporal here is going to trial, and he is going to prison, and he is going to have ample time to ponder the enormity of his failures. None of you are going to overstep your authority by trying to prevent that," she leans in towards Davin, staring him directly in the eyes, "and you are going to shut up and do exactly as I say, or I will show you just how many things there are that are worse than death."

0BnD8l3.gif