As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Pope Benedict Resigns

• Options
    AbsalonAbsalon Lands of Always WinterRegistered User regular
    edited February 2013
    Honk wrote: »
    Absalon wrote: »
    Couscous wrote: »
    I thought a lot of the African bishops were pretty damn conservative.

A lot of them are also black.

You can be hesitant and committedly cautious of black representatives and spokespersons for your organization without thinking they are in any way inferior, unsuitable or untrustworthy. It's human nature to resist change and people who are different and markedly new.

No that is actually racism.

I often wish for a word that is to racism what sexism is to misogyny.

Absalon on
  • Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Honk wrote: »

You can be hesitant and committedly cautious of black representatives and spokespersons for your organization without thinking they are in any way inferior, unsuitable or untrustworthy. It's human nature to resist change and people who are different and markedly new.

No that is actually racism.

I often wish for a word that is to racism what sexism is to misogyny.

How about "racism"?

PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    Form of Monkey!Form of Monkey! Registered User regular
    I'm not sure there is a scandal about to break. It may really be due to an ongoing health concern. In that case, Benedict may be looking to avoid his predecessor's fate.

It was a running joke for many years that, though he was much beloved and very active as a younger man, John Paul II was basically an unintelligible, weak, wisp of a man in the years leading up to his death. Certainly it harmed the ability of the Church to project power and influence when its most famous representative could barely walk, talk, or sit up straight without handlers.

• Options
    Tiger BurningTiger Burning Dig if you will, the pictureRegistered User, SolidSaints Tube regular
    I'm not sure there is a scandal about to break. It may really be due to an ongoing health concern. In that case, Benedict may be looking to avoid his predecessor's fate.

It was a running joke for many years that, though he was much beloved and very active as a younger man, John Paul II was basically an unintelligible, weak, wisp of a man in the years leading up to his death. Certainly it harmed the ability of the Church to project power and influence when its most famous representative could barely walk, talk, or sit up straight without handlers.

I remember when Benedict was chosen that there was speculation that, by virtue of his age, he was just intended to serve as a placeholder pope for a few years while they got a long-term solution in place. I expect the next pope will be a much younger man.

Ain't no particular sign I'm more compatible with
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Maybe it will be revealed he was secretly bigoted towards more than half of humanity, committed to hindering the fight against HIV and unwanted pregnancies in struggling areas of the world and unwilling to spend any effort sending child-rapists in his organization to justice.

Absalon on
  • Options
    zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular
    Maybe it will be revealed he was secretly bigoted towards more than half of humanity, committed to hindering the fight against HIV and unwanted pregnancies in struggling areas of the world and unwilling to spend any effort sending child-rapists in his organization to justice.

Except that the people he nominally answers to consider those things features, not bugs.

• Options

No no, Ronald Reagan already died.

• Options
    CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular

No no, Ronald Reagan already died.

That's just what the papists want us to believe.

• Options
    I should be fair towards some individuals in the Catholic church - a German cardinal has recently approved the morning-after pill!

For rape victims. Baby steps. Or, rather, zygote steps.

• Options
    SiskaSiska Shorty Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    It could just be that he is ill. I mean there's illness and there's illness. Wheelchairs are fine. Far progressed Alzheimer and being pope probably isn't.

Siska on
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    What's with all the hating on JP2? That dude was fairly rad as I recall. Made friends with like, every religion.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    815165815165 Registered User regular
    there's really only one good replacement
    250px-SpacePope.png

• Options
    What's with all the hating on JP2? That dude was fairly rad as I recall. Made friends with like, every religion.

As far as popes go, he was a pretty awesome one for a long time. His last decade or so, he was pretty much just a senile old man who didn't know where he was or what he was doing. He wasn't leading - he was being handled and a puppet for his Cardinals.

• Options
    spacekungfumanspacekungfuman Poor and minority-filled Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2013
    Neck muscle deterioration due to advanced age. You can't be the pope if you can't balance the hat.

Edit: It's the only criteria.

spacekungfuman on
  • Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    I liked JP2 all I said was the dude was decrepit in his last years.

He lacked crepit.

My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    Wait, I thought the papist version resigning was keeling over.
    What kind of wussy Pope is this?!

Bless your heart.
  • Options

Read back. Nobody is hating on JP2. In fact it's the opposite.

He was poping the shit out of things as a younger man, which stood in stark contrast to what little he was able to do as an old, infirm man. Sometimes it's just time to step down so the office itself can be better-served by a younger and more capable servant.

• Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    TTODewback wrote: »
    Wait, I thought the papist version resigning was keeling over.
    What kind of wussy Pope is this?!
    The Vatican likes an able-bodied leader and thus chose one last time who would step down instead of die out.

My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular

He was poping the shit out of things as a younger man, which stood in stark contrast to what little he was able to do as an old, infirm man. Sometimes it's just time to step down so the office itself can be better-served by a younger and more capable servant.

I don't remember seeing a pope that wasn't elderly in my lifetime.

Bless your heart.
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    Kagera wrote: »
    I liked JP2 all I said was the dude was decrepit in his last years.

He lacked crepit.

And in the last decade+ of his life either he condoned the child molestation coverup, or more likely lacked the mental capacity to understand what was going on and was being run by the current Pope.

Hopefully we'll get a progressive, forward thinking Pope. If that means the Pope is European again (or of European heritage from the US/Canada) then so be it. Third World Catholicism resembles in large part conservative/fundamentalist Islam.

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    TTODewback wrote: »

I don't remember seeing a pope that wasn't elderly in my lifetime.

Well unless you're well into your late 30s, your conscious memory is Old JP2 and This Guy.

Given the makeup of the CoC, I don't see any way that the next Pope is anything other than an old European guy. I'd bet on an Italian, but if they're feeling frisky it might be a Spaniard.

• Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    I remember when Benedict was chosen that there was speculation that, by virtue of his age, he was just intended to serve as a placeholder pope for a few years while they got a long-term solution in place. I expect the next pope will be a much younger man.

This is what I recall too. JP2 was a very active and long-lived Pope, so they wanted someone to stand in for a few short years without rocking the boat before moving on to the next big pope.

I wonder who it'll be. The name of the then-Archbishop of Québec was floating around last time, and that got me a bit excited lol Of course now he's too old, nearing his 70s.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Ravenhpltc24Ravenhpltc24 So Raven Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    Whoa, this is huge news. I'm not the biggest fan of Catholicism, but I really hope he didn't resign for scandal reasons. I think resigning when you're starting to feel ineffective as the Pope due to age is a solid idea and Benedict was brave to do it, assuming that was his only reason.

Ravenhpltc24 on
    (V) ( ;,,; ) (V)
  • Options
    Honestly, this is a pope that shrugged off a pedophile priest cover-up scandal and didn't even blink at his aid stealing and publishing private documents showing fraud taking place in the highest levels of the Vatican. And he's 85 years old and has a physically and mentally demanding job. I just don't understand how people can look at this and think "Resigning for health reasons? That's bullshit, it must be a secret scandal!"

sig.gif
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Also, they should pick me as next pope. Being both Catholic and Orthodox and of Egyptian lineage, I could reconcile the fuck out of the Church.

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    The scandal must be that they secretly converted to child sacrificing to Molok.

PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Richy wrote: »

This is what I recall too. JP2 was a very active and long-lived Pope, so they wanted someone to stand in for a few short years without rocking the boat before moving on to the next big pope.

I wonder who it'll be. The name of the then-Archbishop of Québec was floating around last time, and that got me a bit excited lol Of course now he's too old, nearing his 70s.

Well, Ouellet is 68 right now, which isn't particularly old for becoming pope. JP2 was pretty much a phenom (and compromise in a stalemate), and he was almost 60 when his papacy began.

Benedict was almost 80 when his papacy began, so age probably won't be a disqualifying factor if Ouellet is a favorite. He's also close with Latin America, so while it's not quite choosing a South American pope, it's still a major outreach.

I'm not real familiar with the candidates, but I'd definitely say that if a non-European pope is chosen he would be a top choice.

EDIT - I also could see the Catholic Church trying to appoint younger popes who step down when they get old / senile, and JP2 was really an exception serving a quarter-century. According to wiki a decade is the typical / average amount of time a pope serves.

zagdrob on
  • Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    Richy wrote: »
    Honestly, this is a pope that shrugged off a pedophile priest cover-up scandal and didn't even blink at his aid stealing and publishing private documents showing fraud taking place in the highest levels of the Vatican. And he's 85 years old and has a physically and mentally demanding job. I just don't understand how people can look at this and think "Resigning for health reasons? That's bullshit, it must be a secret scandal!"

They see scandal here for the same reason people think Obama was born in Kenya, 9/11 was an inside job, and that Queen Elizabeth is a lizardperson.

People like conspiracy theories.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    Captain MarcusCaptain Marcus now arrives the hour of actionRegistered User regular
    He might have wanted to bow out now so he didn't have to deal with another Easter and all the speeches and travelling that goes with it.

• Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    He might have wanted to bow out now so he didn't have to deal with another Easter and all the speeches and travelling that goes with it.

Possible. Assuming the CoC starts in a timely fashion, it also lets them choose a new Pope during Lent.

• Options
    edited February 2013

Plus hiding all the eggs.

Absalon on
  • Options
    So, anyone have a new list of 'papabili'?

I'd really like to see them choose a Jesuit. I think it's the most likely way we would see the Catholic Church become (a bit) more progressive on social issues.

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular

Its also the representative face of Catholicism these days. Half of Europes priests are African and Africa is the only continent Catholicism is growing in.

• Options
    TheOtherHorsemanTheOtherHorseman Registered User regular
    Two or three years ago he went to pray at the tomb of the last pope that resigned. This has been brewing for a while, I think.

I don't really know if this resignation was in any way intended or hoped by the CoC when they picked him - arguably, they picked him because he was a staunch traditionalist and old enough to die before we had another Forever Papacy, to give a little breathing room in case the next Pope after him was also young.

Given that Ratzinger was relatively close to JPII, my guess is that he saw how his bro went out and has decided, ex cathedra, that homey does not play that. My money is on either JP2's diagnosis of Parkison's finding a new Pope to pester, or something dementia-flavored that is looming on the horizon.

• Options
    Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
    zagdrob wrote: »
    So, anyone have a new list of 'papabili'?

This is what I'm really curious about. I'd love to read some Nate Silver-style "here's how the College of Cardinals breaks down right now, here's the contenders" writing.

Steam: Mike Danger | PSN/NNID: remadeking | 3DS: 2079-9204-4075
    oE0mva1.jpg
  • Options
    TheBlackWindTheBlackWind Registered User regular
    http://www.businessinsider.com/who-will-replace-pope-benedict-2013-2?op=1

Here's a great link.

5/2 odds on a Canadian pope. Gravy on our communion wafers!

PAD ID - 328,762,218
  • Options
    TheBlackWindTheBlackWind Registered User regular
    Personally, I think the Pope saw they were making new Star Wars movies and figured its about time he got paid.

PAD ID - 328,762,218
  • Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    Why has no one photoshopped a Pope Knope poster

get on it people

3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular

Here's a great link.

Dark horse candidate
    BillClinton.jpg

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular

Here's a great link.

No way, Easter conflicts with the playoffs. "This cathedral would make a good hockey rink eh?"

nibXTE7.png