Options

Math [chat]

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    ramen and mushrooms

I need opinions

probably won't taste great, but it won't be terrible either.

• Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Stuff like that makes me kind of glad I don't love FPS games in a perverse way.

But I don't want to deal with stuff like that so I always mute everyone I'm not directly allied with when I'm playing anyway.

• Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    i am pro hitting children

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    Vanguard wrote: »
    Making the argument that authorial intent is not sovereign is a lot weaker when you're talking about literal narrative events rather than thematic implications

Perhaps, but some narratives are garbled, ambiguous, or deceptive.

are they

or do you think they are?
    Making TIM choice paragon blue, Anderson Renegade red, and then having the bad guy warn you that one option is really bad and try to steer you to the other two counts as deceptive.

Yes.

Having the "final encounter" be a character who has previously only appeared in dreams does lend ambiguity to the whole scene.

In "My Kinsman, Major Molineux" Hawthorne doesn't tell you it was a dream, but that is certainly a valid interpretation.

• Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Damn it Elldren now I want fried tofu.

This is all your fault.

• Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »
    ramen and mushrooms

I need opinions

:i

• Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Back on the road, and off to a great start. 45 minutes late for a meeting with clients because my iPhone didn't switch time zones.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    I just can't will myself into believing that after reading the lead writer's napkin notes

The plot for the ending was apparently concocted in 5 minutes while he was having lunch which is why it makes no logical sense

• Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    Making the argument that authorial intent is not sovereign is a lot weaker when you're talking about literal narrative events rather than thematic implications

Perhaps, but some narratives are garbled, ambiguous, or deceptive.

In the specific jokey post that lead to this conversation (Ned Stark and Syrio Forel), the narrative could not have been more clear and to interpret those events differently is to stop reading the book as written. Think of it like... uh, people still being on team Jacob after Edward and Bella's wedding or deciding that Bruce Willis was really alive the whole time in the sixth sense and the movie's events were actually an illuminati plot to drive him insane.

Donkey Kong on
    Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    shalmeloshalmelo sees no evil Registered User regular
    I should go spend my lunch hour eating mcdonalds at starbucks so I can absorb enough hipster to suddenly find mcdonalds unpalatable

What kind of crazy-ass place do you live that Starbucks qualifies as a hipster hangout?

Steam ID: Shalmelo || LoL: melo2boogaloo || tweets
  • Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    Shivahn wrote: »
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    cooked mushrooms are so much more delicious than raw

I immediately got the hankering for chanterelles

alright come autumn I am going to explore the woods around here for some mushrooms

Around here that is a great way to get on a liver transplant list.

than y'all should get better at picking mushrooms.

Chanterelles are one of the most easily identifiable ones though.

also they're the most tasty ones.

chanterelles, put in a pan with some butter and some salt

hngh mouth orgasms

We've got some white mushrooms you can eat and also destroying angels. I don't know about the brown ones.
    and no gold ones?

seriously these are the mushroom.

I've never seen anything like those I don't think, but they're super pretty.

to cite the opening lines of the wiki article, they're considered the gold of the forest and have been highly sought after and well regarded since long long ago. It's also easy to spot and hard to confuse with poisonous ones.

sauteed in butter, and maybe a little cream and a tiny bit of garlic it is fantastiiiiic

Yeah we don't have anything like that here. All of our mushrooms are pretending to be other mushrooms. Because god hates us.

I've only actually picked one other kind of mushroom because I don't know which are which and which ones have poisonous lookalikes.

Those and stone mushroom as we call them. Both delish.

man I want mushrooms now.

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    ramen and mushrooms

I need opinions

My opinion is that the canned mushrooms in the ramen will be slug-like but probably taste ok.

• Options
    Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    I'm going to over to my parents' house to watch the basketball game with my dad, and since it's Mardi Gras we figured we'd try making something appropriately New Orleans-y.

So does anybody have a really really good jambalaya/dirty rice/gumbo recipe up their sleeve?

vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    ramen and mushrooms

I need opinions

nooooo idea but I'm all for it

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular
    I'm going to over to my parents' house to watch the basketball game with my dad, and since it's Mardi Gras we figured we'd try making something appropriately New Orleans-y.

So does anybody have a really really good jambalaya/dirty rice/gumbo recipe up their sleeve?

Zatarans

FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
  • Options
    we have officially trained and approved people who can come and check that the mushrooms you've picked are edible, around mushroom season.

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    TehSloth wrote: »

Zatarans

Yeah, we do have a shelf full of boxed stuff like that, and we'll fall back on that if neither of us turns up a fun recipe, but I figured I'd poll [chat] see if anybody happens to have a good cajun recipe.

vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    So a hashtag is trending on Twitter and it is the most volatile thing ever. "#TellAFeministThankYou" There goes the neighborhood.

• Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/WaiYenTang/20130208/186335/Reactions_to_a_womans_voice_in_an_FPS_game.php

Harassment against women is 3x more common than it is against men in online video games.

We have to do better. Internet communities have a part to play, and this pansy shit parenting needs to stop - some kids never get smacked in the mouth for saying shit when growing up. Maybe they could use some.
    Yeah, let's advocate some parental abuse; real classy Henroid. :/

Ignoring that particular bit of stupidity, yeah, the study is pretty damning.

I'd quite like to see data on how other players reacted once someone responded demeaningly to the female 'character'. I used to play TF2 pretty regularly with 2-3 girls, none of whom were afraid to use the voice comm. Every so often you'd get a jackass who would try and mock them for it, and pretty much the moment that happened, they had half the server on their side trying to get the idiot to fuck off (dedicated Spy camping, amongst other things).

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    I've never lived around all that much forest so I don't really know my mushrooms

know my way around berries and other things you'll find in the mountains and anything that lives in the shoals.

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    I couldn't use the bathroom on my floor at work because they were installing an infant changing table.

Thanks, feminists.

• Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular

If you have a slow cooker, jambalaya is really easy to make, and really hard to fuck up. Buy delicious sausage and chicken, stick in slow cooker with stewed tomatoes, vegetables, and spices, serve over rice.

• Options
    I couldn't use the bathroom on my floor at work because they were installing an infant changing table.

Thanks, feminists.

breeders

• Options
    It's really fun to gather food.

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    I want a sandwich but my pickles aren't ready and I don't have any others

>:C

• Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    I want a sandwich but my pickles aren't ready and I don't have any others

>:C

Skippy your life is hard.

• Options
    I've never lived around all that much forest so I don't really know my mushrooms

know my way around berries and other things you'll find in the mountains and anything that lives in the shoals.

Blackberries are the only ones I see around here and that is ok by me.

• Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »
    ramen and mushrooms

I need opinions

:i

Not the best combination of textures for me but lots of people enjoy it

ie, old people enjoy it, skippy. old people.

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    Today so far:

Created a nightmare of a flowchart. Really I need to break it up into a couple of flowcharts.I'm pretty sure Visio warned me two or three times that continuing this flowchart runs the risk for summoning an eldritch being.
    Had to explain to an IT person that no, he can't get H.265 based cameras because the spec was only finalized two weeks ago. Which means he's looking at 18 months for TI to build a specialized DSP for it. But he wants it now!
    Learned that I will have the ability to listen in on my employees calls covertly.
    Wrote three processes.

• Options
    Bethryn wrote: »
    http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/WaiYenTang/20130208/186335/Reactions_to_a_womans_voice_in_an_FPS_game.php

Harassment against women is 3x more common than it is against men in online video games.

We have to do better. Internet communities have a part to play, and this pansy shit parenting needs to stop - some kids never get smacked in the mouth for saying shit when growing up. Maybe they could use some.

I'd quite like to see data on how other players reacted once someone responded demeaningly to the female 'character'. I used to play TF2 pretty regularly with 2-3 girls, none of whom were afraid to use the voice comm. Every so often you'd get a jackass who would try and mock them for it, and pretty much the moment that happened, they had half the server on their side trying to get the idiot to fuck off (dedicated Spy camping, amongst other things).

from my years of playing Halo 2, 3 and reach, I can mute 16 people one at a time in under ten seconds. So I would not react to that in any way because I would be blissfully unaware.

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/comment/25623752/#Comment_25623752

• Options

What sort of berries grow around where you live? When I was hiking the Appalachian trail, I was so excited to find that not only do berries grow here, I don't even need to be some kind of berry expert. They're literally blueberries, blackberries, and raspberries.

• Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    and people wonder why I don't get a microphone

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Bethryn wrote: »

We've done that thread before (like, what, two years ago) and I maintain my position that while there is very much a clear line to cross, this is not a case of that line being crossed. By a long shot. I'm just going to say we disagree and drop it.

On to what matters:

Even in Counter-Strike ten years ago I've seen my share of servers that act aggressively toward people who were hateful in any capacity (and those were the only servers I would play on). It's a good policy. A heavy hand is what's needed sometimes. It's the persona non grata approach, which I'm all for.

• Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2013
    This harlem shake thing is the best meme I've seen. Just pure happiness and everybody is just having a good time. So that I can have a good time watching people having a good time. I like it a lot!

Honk on
    PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    things old people like in their ramen: bean sprouts, mushrooms, egg, cabbage, spinach

also what I'm guessing ronya likes in his ramen :3

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    Honk wrote: »
    This harlem shake thing is the best meme I've seen. Just pure happiness and everybody is just having a good time. So that I can have a good time watching people having a good time. I like it a lot!

The 5 second films take is the best one. It's also the only proper way to react to the video.

• Options

Blackberries are the only ones I see around here and that is ok by me.

but there's so many good ones

blackberries, raspberries, wild strawberry, redcurrant, blackcurrant, blueberry, lingonberry, cloudberry, black crowberry.

all great

cloudberry being the crowned king of all these of course

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    No, Henroid. Hitting a child's face is completely unacceptable, and your position is awful.

• Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    enhanced-buzz-wide-21248-1360597366-2.jpg

This discussion has been closed.