As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Destiny - A MMOish non-MMO MMO

• Options
    ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    Bungie has updated Destiny's website with some new stuff.

For example: bungie.net/pubassets/1109/DeltaNorth_1.jpg

XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    #Destiny will absolutely be shipping on four platforms: PlayStation 4, PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, and the newly announced Xbox One.

Well, that's something.

Archsorcerer on
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    edited May 2013
    From facebook:
    The story continues this Thursday with the debut of our first live action/CG trailer for Destiny.

960200_439864002775576_313694937_n.jpg

Archsorcerer on
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    jerichotwofourjerichotwofour The artist formally known as S043. Registered User regular
    Ooh, hope that's as cool as some of the Halo live-action marketing.

PSN: ZeroFourThree (PS3, PS4) | XBL: JerichoTwoFour (360, XB1)
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    More information later but this showed up on facebook:

65640_440362972725679_1629018762_n.jpg

:)

Archsorcerer on
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    jerichotwofourjerichotwofour The artist formally known as S043. Registered User regular
    I'm real excited for all the space capes.

• Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    So I'd say the one in the back it a Hunter, left is a Warlock, right is a Titan.

I'd assume that we'll mostly see Hive, if this is taking place on the moon. Perhaps we'll see different locations though, as opposed to just one. Obiviously I'd prefer the latter, that way we can see some Fallen. I'm also curious as to how Venus is gonna look...

• Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    #Destiny will absolutely be shipping on four platforms: PlayStation 4, PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, and the newly announced Xbox One.

Well, that's something.

... And?

• Options
    Huh?

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    TaranisTaranis Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    I guess he's trying to point out that it's not coming to PC?

Taranis on
    EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jS1BM9XRgvw

The Hunter reminds me a lot of Mordecai from Borderlands.

EDIT: http://variety.com/2013/digital/games/first-look-the-live-action-trailer-for-bungies-destiny-exclusive-1200486874/
    Giancarlo Esposito stars in Activision and 'Halo'-creator Bungie's new ad

To promote their ambitious new videogame “Destiny,” Activision and Bungie (which created “Halo”), have produced a live action commercial, directed by Jon Favreau and featuring Giancarlo Esposito, for the fall release.

The 60-second spot, produced by ad shop 72 and Sunny, with visual effects handled by Digital Domain, revolves around the mythology of the game’s futuristic world in which players take the role of a Guardian of the last safe city on Earth.

The trailer is designed to introduce the world and characters of “Destiny” “as a grand fable for the ages,” said Eric Hirshberg, CEO of Activision Publishing.

Archsorcerer on
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    edited May 2013
    I love that we haven't seen more than a minute of constant gameplay, and they're already throwing a huge Hollywood director at the marketing. Activision is gonna try and sell the fuck out of this game, and after Reach and ODST's tiny (and I think awful, aside from the "We Are ODST" ad) marketing campaigns, this has to be a welcome change for Bungie.

jerichotwofour on
  • Options
    If we get some We Are ODST quality live action trailers, I've be very pleased.

EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    I was sorta dissapointed at first that there wasn't any new lore in the trailer, but by now I've watched it possibly a dozen times. I approve of this. This is a good thing.

• Options
    Gonna take a while to arrive on the PC: http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/05/23/destiny-could-get-pc-version-cross-platform-saves
    Bungie has discussed the possibility of a PC version of Destiny, plus the potential for transferring saves between platforms. In the wake of Destiny’s PlayStation 4 and Xbox One announcements, we asked Bungie if a PC version could still be in the cards moving forward.

“We haven’t said yes, and we haven’t said no,” Bungie senior writer and head of community Eric Osborne told IGN. “The more platforms we take on, the more work it ultimately becomes, and what we don’t want is to compromise the core experience on any platforms. We have a lot of people who play on PCs. We have a lot of appetite to build that experience. We haven’t announced it yet, but we’re looking forward to talking more about that kind of stuff in the future.”

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    FrozenzenFrozenzen Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    I will be exceedingly sad if destiny ain't available on PC.

Frozenzen on
  • Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    Same, since I don't plan on owning three of the four announced consoles, and I'm not planning on re-upping Gold for my 360 anytime soon if ever.

Kind of funny, I was doing some digging and found my old Bungie World Domination Tour 2001 t-shirt.
    qpNaXAf.jpg

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    FrozenzenFrozenzen Registered User regular
    Now you reminded me of Oni.

So sad it will never get a sequel. :(.

• Options
    So new BE video, they love Destiny. I love that they love it. I hold them in a certain ammount of high esteem, so it's cool that they agree with me. Actually, I was worried for a while that they might not be super interested in Destiny, it was great to see them go all fanboy :P

• Options
    BE?

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    Beyond Entertainment.

• Options
    DacDac Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    We'll see it on PC, but only after it's stopped being a system-seller.

The new generation of consoles is x86 architecture, right? There's no real logistical reason why the game couldn't be very easily ported to PC if Bungie's making the game for those platforms. It's just Sony and Microsoft would rather keep a potentially giant title like this on consoles to help sell those consoles, so there's probably a deal with Bungie to delay Destiny from going to PC for a while.

Dac on
    Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • Options
    Dac wrote: »
    We'll see it on PC, but only after it's stopped being a system-seller.

The new generation of consoles is x86 architecture, right? There's no real logistical reason why the game couldn't be very easily ported to PC if Bungie's making the game for those platforms. It's just Sony and Microsoft would rather keep a potentially giant title like this on consoles to help sell those consoles, so there's probably a deal with Bungie to delay Destiny from going to PC for a while.

A deal with who? I'm sure it's in the realm of possibility but I have a hard time believing that either Sony or Microsoft would pay money to keep the game off of PCs and not include their respective competitor's console in such a contract.

I think it's more likely that Next Gen consoles would remain the primary focus since competing titles on those platforms will be scarce for awhile. The only real difference is that we'd likely see a PC port sooner rather than later.

EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Ok.

I was interested in this before. But now got dang Gus Fring is reading to me about the law of the jungle...

Sign me up. Im good to go.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    943263_445417665553543_899205790_n.jpg

Interesting.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    It's on.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    jimbo034jimbo034 Registered User regular
    Just finished watching it on the stream. Also, they just posted this on youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2Jx5__c1lY

Looks pretty neat, Hopefully these arent just scripted encounters that you run through again and again. Although it kind of looks that way.

• Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular

Yeah, no PC, no sale. There's just no excuse anymore. I got a preorder email from them that took me to a page that was a mile of "Where's the PC ver?" comments.

• Options
    Nosf wrote: »
    Yeah, no PC, no sale. There's just no excuse anymore. I got a preorder email from them that took me to a page that was a mile of "Where's the PC ver?" comments.

Give it some time.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    Moridin889Moridin889 Registered User regular
    At first I was sad at the ps4 ezclusivity for stuffs.

Then I watched the sony presentation

Now it's sweet, because I'm getting this on ps4

• Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    I want to know about the competitive side of this game. I'm hoping its like Halo 2 or 3, not WoW played in first person with guns.

Basically, one should be able to access everything in competive Mulitiplayer without playing the singleplayer or coop side of things. No loadouts, everyone starts with the same weapon and you need to pick stuff up.

That would be my wish.

• Options
    DisrupterDisrupter Registered User regular
    Im guessing, and this is a WILD guess, that there will be multiple "pvp" modes. One that uses your characters and is maybe faction based and has some minor impact on the game world (shifting who controls zones) and one that is "arena" where you have base versions of the classes and weapons and powerups and stuff like Halo.

Im picturing almost like an Elderscrolls vibe, where I can run around and do all sorts of stuff, and one of those things happens to be "the arena" and I can totally be rank 50 in the arena, but thats just one of tons of stuff I can do. This would be the most bad-ass of things if implemented.

616610-1.png
  • Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    Having watched the footage it strikes me that this is a really hard game to show off mid-development.

I mean, the footage is nice and all but nothing jumped out as 'wow that's cool' off the bat other than the public event thing. Which was then just 9 or so guys.

Almost all the interesting things like leveling, classes and how the game is structured are hard to really explain in a video.

• Options
    InkSplatInkSplat 100%ed Bad Rats. Registered User regular
    I want to know about the competitive side of this game. I'm hoping its like Halo 2 or 3, not WoW played in first person with guns.

Basically, one should be able to access everything in competive Mulitiplayer without playing the singleplayer or coop side of things. No loadouts, everyone starts with the same weapon and you need to pick stuff up.

That would be my wish.

That would suck for me. I want Planetside 2-style PvP, please. Don't squander the opportunity of a persistent world shooter by essentially giving it a completely separate PvP mode. Sure, have it be limited to certain areas, but let it be open to your character as who they are.

Origin for Dragon Age: Inquisition Shenanigans: Inksplat776
  • Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    InkSplat wrote: »

That would be my wish.

That would suck for me. I want Planetside 2-style PvP, please. Don't squander the opportunity of a persistent world shooter by essentially giving it a completely separate PvP mode. Sure, have it be limited to certain areas, but let it be open to your character as who they are.

Yeah but that could cause issues if high level characters are significantly stronger than low level ones (which we don't know yet, but I'd er on the side of being the case).

• Options
    InkSplatInkSplat 100%ed Bad Rats. Registered User regular
    InkSplat wrote: »

That would be my wish.

Yeah but that could cause issues if high level characters are significantly stronger than low level ones (which we don't know yet, but I'd er on the side of being the case).

That would be a huge let down. I like the feel of progression in Planetside. I want scenario/mission play, not Deathmatch Arenas, which is the only way that "everyone starts with the same thing and then collects new weapons from convenient glowing spawn points" can really work.

If that is how its structured, I'd likely pass on the game entirely. I had just assumed a Planetside (I'd even accept Battlefield) style PvP with instanced PvE.

Origin for Dragon Age: Inquisition Shenanigans: Inksplat776
  • Options
    DisrupterDisrupter Registered User regular
    I doubt youll see planet side 2 type pvp in this. If anything, youll see WOW type battlegrounds that are still instanced and have a win/loss scenario with your fully leveled/equipped characters. But you wont see open world 1000 on 1000 type fights that dont have a beggining and an end. Personally, as cool as PS2 is in theory, the lack of definitive "start" and "end" to battles make it seem sort of pointless.

I still think they can do both arena style where everyone is even and wow style where you use your character and equipment.

616610-1.png
  • Options
    Muddy WaterMuddy Water Quiet Batperson Registered User regular
    So is this confirmed not coming for PC or is it still up in the air?

• Options
    No PC pre-order option on the site and no sign of release.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    Still undecided on the PC release according to Bungie. PC will get it later with some of the dlc thrown in for free (Like the Witcher 2 for 360 in reverse)

http://www.gamespot.com/news/bungie-considering-destiny-pc-version-6408852

Also no 2013 release date. I'm oddly okay with that since I don't know how much my wallet could take.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/bungies-destiny-not-coming-out-in-2013-says-activision-6404060

This discussion has been closed.