As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

{Cookies!} They go in your mouth!!

MatthewMatthew Registered User regular
Hey everybody! I've come here to talk about something we all love, even if we won't admit it. Cookies! Called Biscuits in some countries, here in the US we call them cookies. As a hopeful professional cookie maker, I have a deep interest in these "tiny cakes" (which there name originally came from) and am constantly looking for new tricks to make mine better.

I have a particular fondness for the classic Chocolate chip cookie, created when a woman tried to mak chocolate cookies but ran out of baking chocolate, and decided to cut up some normal chocolate and add it to her dough, thinking it would melt in the oven. It didn't, and the chocolate chip cookie was born. There have been many different version of this seminal classic, including one that revolved around a sort of urban myth,

http://urbanlegends.about.com/od/fooddrink/a/cookie_recipe.htm

Originally made because they traveled well, the cookie evolved over the years to be a great dessert. What are your favorites? Do you have your own special recipes? Let's see them!

• Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    Someone once said something insightful about a particular cookie.

"Why would anyone make an oatmeal raisin cookie? Every bit of space used up to keep an oatmeal raisin cookie is space taken away from a chocolate chip cookie or a snickerdoodle. It's just cruel."

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Make it fresh, top it with French vanilla ice cream. A'la mode! Mmm.

• Options
    DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    I will not lie, the best cookie related experience I have ever had involved these: http://www.bjsbrewhouse.com/menus/desserts

• Options
    LadyMLadyM Registered User regular
    I am looking for an awesome gingerbread cookies recipe.

Also, these truly are the best rolled sugar cookies. God, they are so good.

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    I've got my chocolate chip cookies down to a science. Half oatmeal flour for texture (grind it coarsely yourself from regular oatmeal in a coffee grinder), some whole wheat flour if you want a deeper flavor, don't skimp on the chips, kosher salt sprinkled on top, 10 minutes in 350 degrees so the middle is still medium rare.

Seems like pretty much everyone thinks they can make chocolate chip cookies, but if you pass around those cakey, greasy, lumpy yellow in the middle, singed brown on the puddled edges buggers, I'm going to silently judge you.

• Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    KalTorak wrote: »
    Seems like pretty much everyone thinks they can make chocolate chip cookies, but if you pass around those cakey, greasy, lumpy yellow in the middle, singed brown on the puddled edges buggers, I'm going to silently judge you.

Baked goods and pastries are one of those things that everyone seems to think they make well, yet very few people actually do.

I had a coworker bring a box of his wife's cupcakes into work one day to share and he was all, "Hey, try these, guys! My wife is a great cook!" And they were disgusting, at which I was astonished, because I have no idea how a cupcake can be disgusting. It's just sugar and flour topped with cream and sugar; how you can mix that up in any configuration and come out with something that tastes foul borders on impossible. Even an inept cupcake shouldn't be disgusting, yet there we were.

But I am spoiled. My wife is a pastry chef. Though I agree with you, Kal, in that a proper consistency is the key feature of a good cookie. You want firm but pliable, soft but not mushy, chewy but not goopy, browned but not burned.

• Options
    ScratchyScratchy Registered User regular
    I once had a cookie that was perfection. It was a peanut butter, oatmeal, chocolate chip cookie.

This cookie melted in your mouth but had texture to chew. Some might say it was too "busy" of a cookie with one ingredient too many. Some may claim that this cookie flew too close to the sun on wings made of butter. To those folks I say no.

The ruin of this cookie: The recipe was lost. I've attempted to recreate this pinnacle of cookies a dozen times and it's never been anywhere near as good.

The only thing I remember from the original recipe is that you cannot use organic or peter pan peanut butter, and the butter must be salted.

Recreate this cookie for me cookie thread and I will do unspeakably good things to anybody's genitalia that you deem fit.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
    Steam: Mike Danger | PSN/NNID: remadeking | 3DS: 2079-9204-4075
    oE0mva1.jpg
  • Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    I thought my chocolate chip cookies were pretty good... until I had my friend's chocolate chip cookies. He has basically the exact same recipe as me, with one small but crucial difference.

A half-teaspoon of chili powder mixed with the flour.

It's a subtle change, but it improves the cookies a lot.

sig.gif
  • Options
    TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular
    Interesting, don't think I would ever think to use chili powder in a chocolate chip cookie. Sounds kind of awesome though, may have to give that a go this weekend!

FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
  • Options
    MatthewMatthew Registered User regular
    TehSloth wrote: »
    Interesting, don't think I would ever think to use chili powder in a chocolate chip cookie. Sounds kind of awesome though, may have to give that a go this weekend!

I use Cayenne pepper in my special chocolate chocolate chip cookies, just a little bit in with the dry stuff.

I also use a tablespoon if vinegar with the wetworkss.

• Options
    Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    edited February 2013
    I buy cookies from a store. Now I feel like a lazy bum. I have no real cooking aptitude whatsoever.

Mr Ray on
  • Options
    Shady3011Shady3011 Registered User regular
    Oatmeal raisin cookies are bomb and you suck if you hate them.

• Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    I made this a while back. I don't remember where I found the recipe, but it was delicious.

309693_10150455669868573_231091758_n.jpg

I need to find it and do it again. And yes, I dumped all of the ice cream on there, while it was still warm.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    UltimanecatUltimanecat Registered User regular
    My general opinion is that there is no place for raisins on a planet with chocolate chips, and there is no recipe where a raisin would be the better alternative to a chocolate chip. I don't mind oatmeal cookies, because oatmeal is hearty and adds some flavor and texture. But put chocolate chips in that business.

Oatmeal raisin cookies quite literally make me sad.

SteamID : same as my PA forum name
  • Options
    VanellopeVanellope Registered User regular
    Butternut Snap Cookies. If you haven't tried them then get down to your nearest Australia and buy some!

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    Cinnamon raisin oatmeal cookies are bomb. Sure chocolate is great, but that doesn't mean you want to have chocolate every time.

When I've got all the ingredients I make a bitchin' oatmeal cookie with raisins, chocolate chips, shredded coconut, and chopped dried cherry bits, + cinnamon and a tiny touch of allspice. Sometimes a little PB in there too. It's delicious, plus it's part of a balanced breakfast!

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
    I will never understand people's hatred of oatmeal raisin cookies. Maybe you have all just had bad ones?

oE0mva1.jpg
  • Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    I will never understand people's hatred of oatmeal raisin cookies. Maybe you have all just had bad ones?

Maybe they're just stupid.

All cookies have a place in the AMFE house.

And that place is mah belly.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    CycloneRangerCycloneRanger Registered User regular
    Oatmeal raisin cookies are delicious. I don't know what is wrong with you guys. I'd take one over a boring ol' chocolate chip any day.

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    moving from homemade, I recently learned that Trader Joe's version of Oreos are better than Oreos.

Oh yes.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    Though I agree with you, Kal, in that a proper consistency is the key feature of a good cookie. You want firm but pliable, soft but not mushy, chewy but not goopy, browned but not burned.

Eh? You don't want a pliable cookie if you're making say, a ginger snap.
    And a chocolate chip cookie with a crisp outside and hot gooey inside is one of the great pleasures of the world.
    And there's tons of cookies where you don't want it browned at all, pretty much any kind of sugar cookie for instance.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    I think there is room for both chocolate chip and raisin cookies.

...Yuff. Ey boff fiff un ere.

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    Kana wrote: »
    Though I agree with you, Kal, in that a proper consistency is the key feature of a good cookie. You want firm but pliable, soft but not mushy, chewy but not goopy, browned but not burned.

Eh? You don't want a pliable cookie if you're making say, a ginger snap.
    And a chocolate chip cookie with a crisp outside and hot gooey inside is one of the great pleasures of the world.
    And there's tons of cookies where you don't want it browned at all, pretty much any kind of sugar cookie for instance.

we were talking about chocolate chip cookies.

• Options
    Well, same thing, there's good recipes for either crisp or soft cc cookies. Different strokes fer different folks

• Options
    Those folks are wrong.

• Options
    This isn't the Old Country. Raisins are for peasants trying to survive the winter.

It's because of you people that my Trader Joe's Carrot Cake Cookies have raisins in them and everyone pretends not to notice or care.

• Options
    By the way, raisins or no, Trader Joe's has some good cookies.

• Options
    It's because of you people that my Trader Joe's Carrot Cake Cookies have raisins in them and everyone pretends not to notice or care.

Yes, I confess to it: I put those raisins in your carrot cake. And into your bread, and your bran cereal, too!

Someday, you'll have raisins in your steaks, raisins in your chicken stew and yes, even raisins in your prime rib.

And upon those dehydrated grapes I shall rest my throne.

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    My mother has this one crazy recipe for oatmeal raisin cookies that she came up with by accident and initially thought ruined. They flattened out far too much and were quite thin.

With some trepidation we tried them but turned out to be wonderfully chewy and some of the sugar caramelized so they were slightly crispy as well and oh-so-sweet.

Recipe was saved.

• Options
    Those folks are wrong.

Crisp CC cookies in milk

• Options
    MahnmutMahnmut Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    Actually the best cookies (ginger snaps): http://i.imgur.com/5Kd6vu7.jpg

But definitely underbake them so they're soft instead of crispy, and consider extra ginger.

My modification to use butter and spelt flour:
    A: 3/4 c butter
    1 cup sugar

B: 1 egg, beat till fluffy
    1/3 cup molasses

C: 2 cups spelt flour
    1/4 C white flour
    1 tsp baking powder
    1 tsp baking soda
    1/2 tsp salt
    2 Tb ground ginger
    1 tsp cinnamon
    1 tsp cayenne pepper

Preheat 350
    Butter or parchment paper baking sheets

Blend A
    Mix B into A
    Mix C together in a separate bowl and add it to AB
    Form 1" balls and roll them in sugar

Bake until tops have cracked, 7-10 minutes

I think the spelt/butter version is better when you use cayenne pepper as the primary spice, but I haven't decided on the details yet.

Mahnmut on
    Steam/LoL: Jericho89
  • Options
    DurkhanusDurkhanus Commander Registered User regular
    My wife found a recipe that calls for Vanilla pudding to be used int he cookie dough. Damn things just don't seem to go stale.

• Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    I'm partial to making various French cookies that are a lot more like tiny cakes these days - things like madeleines or financiers. I do chocolate diamants or ginger snaps when I'm craving those flavors as well.

Been a while since I've made anything like a chocolate chip or sugar cookie. I think I'm going to give Sherry Yard's take on thin mint cookies a try within the next week or two.

• Options
    LoserForHireXLoserForHireX Philosopher King The AcademyRegistered User regular
    Oatmeal Raisin are my favorite cookies. Usually with some nice cinnamon and perhaps nutmeg. Or with dried cranberries instead of raisins.

"The only way to get rid of a temptation is to give into it." - Oscar Wilde
    "We believe in the people and their 'wisdom' as if there was some special secret entrance to knowledge that barred to anyone who had ever learned anything." - Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Options
    Oatmeal Raisin are my favorite cookies. Usually with some niYou'dce cinnamon and perhaps nutmeg. Or with dried cranberries instead of raisins.

...No, I'm afraid that cranberries are not actually allowed in cookies.

You'd best find yourself a good lawyer, son.

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    I generally alternate between Oatmeal Cookies, Chips-A-Hoy Cookies, and Oreo Cookies.

Of the three, I love Chips-A-Hoy the best. I literally cannot stop eating those fucking things. It's ridiculous. The others I can eat like 2 or 3 and then say "OK, I'm good", but I'll sit down and eat a whole goddamn bag of Chips-A-Hoy.

During Christmas I alternate between gingerbread cookies and those little cookie wreath things that only come out during the holidays.

RT800 on
  • Options
    moving from homemade, I recently learned that Trader Joe's version of Oreos are better than Oreos.

Oh yes.

Mmm. Been meaning to try those, still got some money on my TJ gift card from Xmas. Their chocolate chunk ones are amazing.

oE0mva1.jpg
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Scratchy wrote: »
    I once had a cookie that was perfection. It was a peanut butter, oatmeal, chocolate chip cookie.

This cookie melted in your mouth but had texture to chew. Some might say it was too "busy" of a cookie with one ingredient too many. Some may claim that this cookie flew too close to the sun on wings made of butter. To those folks I say no.

The ruin of this cookie: The recipe was lost. I've attempted to recreate this pinnacle of cookies a dozen times and it's never been anywhere near as good.

The only thing I remember from the original recipe is that you cannot use organic or peter pan peanut butter, and the butter must be salted.

Recreate this cookie for me cookie thread and I will do unspeakably good things to anybody's genitalia that you deem fit.

I've seen this sitcom episode - the recipe is on the back of the flour packet.

*Canned laughter*

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    ScratchyScratchy Registered User regular
    NBC's fall line up does not sound promising.

Cayenne pepper and chocolate cookies are great. Oatmeal Raisin cookies are not something I'm a fan of but we do need an inferior cookie to make all other cookies seem better so it has its place.

steam_sig.png