As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Sonic the Hedgehog: The Ultimate Date Movie

• Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    Norgoth wrote: »
    Has anyone tried controlling tales with a second controller yet?

Yes. It totally works in co-op. Tails gets left behind all the time, and then he flies over to Sonic, picks him up, and dumps him into spikes.

A+++ would co-op again.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    *dramatically removes glasses*

MY GOD. All these years.

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Is the logo actually slightly off-center like in Sonic 1?

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    dav3ybdav3yb Registered User regular
    dropped by my parents house this week to pick up something for when I get my copy of Mania (good ol' pc waitin).

The perfect controller to play this game with... my Sega Saturn USB controller (the official ones)

PSN: daveyb1337 || XBL: dav3yb360 || Steam: dav3yb || Switch: SW-5274-1897-8495 || 3DS FC: 2079-7419-8843
  • Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    Hey kids, you might think you're cool when you clip through the ceiling in chemical plant, but you know what's not cool? Getting stuck because you went in a pipe backwards and can't break the stopper from inside.

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    edited August 2017
    Loving this game and most of the stages feel great. The only stage that to me feels a bit phoned in is
    Hydrocity Zone. For some reason, except for the Act 1 boss fight, there didn't seem to be anything that new compared to the other returning stages.

Late Edit:

Oh wait, I was a bit wrong.
    Forgot about the water level changing and bubble mechanics. But the level design itself didn't change that much between acts still.

skeldare on
    Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Had a bug where Knuckles made a ring collecting sound whenever he jumped.

Didn’t matter where: even in blue sphere he did it

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    The music stopped playing multiple times tonight across different acts. So weird.

I also glitches the game hardcore when futzing around in debug mode. I activated a blue sphere checkpoint pole immediately after activating the end of act sign and caused Blue Sphere to launch and then kick me right into act 2 but I was unable to do anything other than scroll around the level. I had to go to the home menu and close the software to do anything.

FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    I mean...it's debug mode. That's kinda the point.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    Huh in the Switch version of Mania I had to press the home button several times to get out of the game when it was docked. It's intermittent and doesn't happen all the time though. This issue may not be handheld only.

• Options
    Huh in the Switch version of Mania I had to press the home button several times to get out of the game when it was docked. It's intermittent and doesn't happen all the time though. This issue may not be handheld only.

I couldn't get my Switch to sleep while the game is running.

FU7kFbw.png
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular

It's handheld only. The button actually does respond to first time, but it is delayed a fair amount. Hitting the sleep mode button works immediately.

• Options
    Rex DartRex Dart Registered User regular
    I love the special stages in Mania. I'm absolutely terrible at them (out of seven attempts, I've only managed to get three emeralds), but I still love how creative they are.

It always bugged me how Sonic 1, Sonic 3&K and Sonic CD all had these really creative special stages, but the one from Sonic 2 became the de facto special stage for the longest time.

Sonic Mania might be in the running for best Sonic game ever, which might be a bit unfair considering how much it borrows from other games, but there it is.

• Options
    HallowedFaithHallowedFaith Call me Cloud. Registered User regular
    Yeah the BGM music thing happens a lot to me. If I get speed, invincibility, or a life up from 100 coins - whenever the little achievement music plays the BGM cuts out and is gone until reset/death/etc.

I'm making video games. DesignBy.Cloud
  • Options
    Gennenalyse RuebenGennenalyse Rueben The Prettiest Boy is Ridiculously Pretty Registered User regular
    Wouldn't be a Sonic game without bugs deadly speed traps.

• Options
    Rex Dart wrote: »
    I love the special stages in Mania. I'm absolutely terrible at them (out of seven attempts, I've only managed to get three emeralds), but I still love how creative they are.

It always bugged me how Sonic 1, Sonic 3&K and Sonic CD all had these really creative special stages, but the one from Sonic 2 became the de facto special stage for the longest time.

Sonic Mania might be in the running for best Sonic game ever, which might be a bit unfair considering how much it borrows from other games, but there it is.

That was the big problem I had with Sonic Generations. It's a fine game but it's literally a greatest hits of the franchise spanning (at the time of release) 20 years. I can't really call it anything above average because of it.

FU7kFbw.png
  • Options
    Enlong wrote: »

It's handheld only. The button actually does respond to first time, but it is delayed a fair amount. Hitting the sleep mode button works immediately.
    This happens to me every time, and I have never played the game in Handheld. Don't mash the button, as the game just delays the response to your inputs. Just hit sleep once and wait; sometimes it takes up to 10 seconds to work.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    IgortIgort Registered User regular

That was the big problem I had with Sonic Generations. It's a fine game but it's literally a greatest hits of the franchise spanning (at the time of release) 20 years. I can't really call it anything above average because of it.

Rating Generations as average just because it's building levels around concepts from all the other mainline games seems really... bizarre to me? I feel like that kind of ignores all the things that game manages to do really well.

I don't know why it should make a difference whether a game has original levels or throwback levels as long as the game itself is good, plays well and is well designed. That goes for both Generations and Mania.

• Options
    Mania was designed for the 25th anniversary, so being a collection of past stages isn't terribly surprising. Also Mania does way more to shake up the level design than the classic stages in Generations ever did.

My only gripe is that we stop going to Green Hill Zone, which is also going to be in Forces. Like, I get it, this is where it all began, but can we at least get Emerald Hill or something?

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Mecha Green Hill Zome, plz.

• Options
    Angel Island please

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Rex DartRex Dart Registered User regular
    Igort wrote: »

Rating Generations as average just because it's building levels around concepts from all the other mainline games seems really... bizarre to me? I feel like that kind of ignores all the things that game manages to do really well.

I don't know why it should make a difference whether a game has original levels or throwback levels as long as the game itself is good, plays well and is well designed. That goes for both Generations and Mania.
    Yeah, I feel like both Sonic Mania and Generations have a lot of great original content too. Generations has the 3D versions of classic levels and 2D versions of newer stages, both of which are awesome. And Mania has great new zones and incredible boss designs.

The games just have an incredible head start.

• Options
    HallowedFaithHallowedFaith Call me Cloud. Registered User regular
    Carnival Night all day!

I'm making video games. DesignBy.Cloud
  • Options
    Carnival Night all night!

• Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    I found a soft-lock in Act 1 of
    Hydrocity Zone

After you beat the miniboss, do not end the stage to the right of the screen. Dunno what's off there, but Tails just kind of spasmed and the game was pretty obviously not advancing.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    WaltWalt Waller Arcane Enchanted Frozen ElectrifiedRegistered User regular
    Sonic Mania is a cool game but I really dislike the Demon's Soul school of difficulty philosophy where the game puts you in autopilot mode (in Mania's case, somewhat literally) and then decides to kill you for not knowing ahead of time there was some b.s. about to happen.

The whole "oops you touch bad pixel and instant die now" crush mechanic also sucks.

• Options
    Walt wrote: »
    Sonic Mania is a cool game but I really dislike the Demon's Soul school of difficulty philosophy where the game puts you in autopilot mode (in Mania's case, somewhat literally) and then decides to kill you for not knowing ahead of time there was some b.s. about to happen.

The whole "oops you touch bad pixel and instant die now" crush mechanic also sucks.

Welcome to classic Sonic!

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Beat Mania as Sonic. The end zone was a big kick in the dick, which is accurate to last Sonic zones but eh... specifically Act 2 felt weirdly like a Mega Man level more than a Sonic level.

Is there any benefit to killing the Egg Heavies in the final boss fight?

• Options
    WaltWalt Waller Arcane Enchanted Frozen ElectrifiedRegistered User regular
    skeldare wrote: »

I don't know why this would make it any better? Like if someone beat me up for my lunch money at work would that also be a fun callback to my childhood?

• Options
    skeldare wrote: »

I don't know why this would make it any better? Like if someone beat me up for my lunch money at work would that also be a fun callback to my childhood?

Doesn't make it better, just pointing out that it's been this way since the beginning.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    Beat Mania as Sonic. The end zone was a big kick in the dick, which is accurate to last Sonic zones but eh... specifically Act 2 felt weirdly like a Mega Man level more than a Sonic level.

No just avoid them and you get warped out

• Options
    I haven't yet seen anything that killed me without warning, aside from the bullshit block hitboxes in Chemical Plant.

• Options
    LucedesLucedes might be real Registered User regular
    I haven't yet seen anything that killed me without warning, aside from the bullshit block hitboxes in Chemical Plant.

i've lost a single life in other non-boss places in Mania

but those blocks ate three or four of my lives. they're a deathtrap!

• Options
    yeah the hitboxes in that one CPZ act are super fucked up

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    IgortIgort Registered User regular

I don't think you even can? I've only done the fight once so far but I haven't heard anything about it.
    To me it seemed like the game was going out of it's way to never show the Hard Boiled Heavies blowing up or being destroyed. I think maybe SEGA wanted to leave the door open for their return in the future, maybe?

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    God damn Studiopolis is a treat to play

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular

I had one crazy weird bullshit death so far. On Flying Battery Zone I was zipping through a pole spinning section I knew was safe and died on the speed boost pad for no reason.

• Options
    BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    God damn Studiopolis is a treat to play

I am always jazzed to get to act 2 because the music is amazing and it's got a lot of hold right speed sections

Also weather chicken

• Options
    DCAarmusDCAarmus Registered User regular
    As good as Sonic Mania is, the new zones have me even more excited for what the team will do next. An ongoing Sonic series in this style can easily coexist along with the 3D, "modern style" Sonic.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Think I stumbled into my least-favorite level:
    Press Garden zone. Not awful but it didn't do much for me. And talk about hitbox bullshit, I managed to get killed while breaking ice blocks.

That said I'm enjoying the remixed levels a lot more than I figured I would. The game does a good job of adding some interesting new elements and surprises in them.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
This discussion has been closed.