As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

texmex[chat]

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Honk wrote: »
    I am at a loss on how to do my work. This application freezes and restarts at every possible action with every file.

There is no way for me to get a pdf to work from.

Stop using Java.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    wazillawazilla Having a late dinner Registered User regular
    Feral wrote: »
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    I think LA would be hell to me.

LA is basically the size of a small nation.

And people aren't clear when they say LA if they mean the city of LA or the county of LA.

There are places in LA that are nice and places in LA that are turrible.

As for the bike thing, biking to work isn't a big deal in the big cities here, but outside of the big cities it's often seen as something only hipsters or poor people do.

Around here people mostly assume you have one too many DUIs

Psn:wazukki
  • Options
    TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    Abby, I love how your countrymen united and sang a tune so powerful it made the Russians leave.

Bless your heart.
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    i've never been to LA but i've heard it's awful from various televsion shows written and performed in LA by LA residents

• Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    Sarksus wrote: »
    I watch movies on my iPad cuz of the beautiful screen, even if it is small.

This ipad confounds me as to why it's so expensive

I like it but

I mean why do I like it more than a kindle fire HD

I just don't care anymore, I don't want to compare shit. Apple's shit works for me. It's what I'm used to, it works really well, I like it, I'M GONNA PICK THIS.

I'm totes taking this ipad back to the store because I cannot come up with a single function or justification for it being worth $500

probably today, who knows

I mean my laptop is just plain better in every measurable aspect

Agree.

Every time I think about picking up a tablet I remind myself that it doesn't really fill a hole in my work/lifestyle and what I already have performs better than the iPad if it were to act as a replacement. Read books on the iPad? My Nook is easier on the eyes, lighter, and I can use it outside in direct sunlight. Use it for work? My laptop is far more versatile. Use it for in a pinch web surfing? My android phone is in my pocket.

As it stands now, the only valid use I have for an iPad would be if I didn't want to lug my laptop or case files into court.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    TTODewback wrote: »
    LA is the only place I've ever been [given] blowjobs while driving down the freeway

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    see317 wrote: »
    bowen wrote: »
    I'm watching an american talk about things she likes and doesn't like about norway.

interesting thing: she thinks people are a bit rude interestingly because if you're in the way they'll just wait in silence instead of going "excuse me"

which, well, to me, would be the ruder thing.

it's interesting though. Slight sense of antipathy toward her now tho when she's talking about health care, maybe irrationally so.

See to me, people in the US are rude because they're all up in your fucking business.

Was at Home Depot browsing through stuff. At least 12 people stopped me to ask me if there was anything they could do for me.

Then I checked out the appliances at sears. Same thing. 4 people approached me while I was standing there checking out ovens. They all conversed with each other before approaching me.

How in the fuck am I going to steal a fucking oven?
    I think it's worse at electronics stores personally. I mean large appliances, not a problem, it may be nice to have someone who knows about them give me an idea why that washer has smart phone integration on it, or why this fridge is 300 bucks more then that one or whatever.
    But the average Bestbuy trip looking for movies or a video game or something? No, I'm just looking around, stop bugging me. Let me assure you that if I knew what I wanted, I'd have ordered it online and had it delivered to my house so I wouldn't have to come to this place where some jackass thought it the height of humor to blast Thrift Shop so loud my friggin teeth vibrate on every radio in the automotive audio department.

The last time I interacted with a Best Buy salesman it was two years ago and it still bothers me because he told me something fundamentally and blatantly untrue about home networking

and i didn't even want to talk to the kid, my mom flagged him down because she thought that the Best Buy kid would know more about printers than I would

my mom is 69 years old and a really sweet lady but in that moment I was like "mom, you realize I make more in a month than the best buy kid makes in a year and I've been doing this shit for 10 years now, right?"

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    the capitalism she's coming from is very noticeable.

Is she still talking about health care?

nah, she didn't talk about it that much. And it was just, hey, it's stupid cheap, but it's not as good as you'll get as a "private citizen"

which made me go nnnnnngh

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    TL DR wrote: »
    Stores in the US should give me "I have a vague idea of what I'm doing, so please don't approach me, I'll raise my hand if I need help" badge or something.

This is similar to US/EU differences in restaurant waitstaff.

US waitstaff tends to be much more up in your grill than EU waitstaff.

EU customers think US waitstaff are pushy and intrusive. US customers think EU waitstaff are aloof and inattentive.

Oh god give me aloof any day. If I need something, I'll flag you down.

Or really, be present or not but drop the over-the-top "HEYYY folks, I'm Chad and I'll be taking care of you today! Have you dined with us before?"
    [say yes, regardless of whether it's true]
    "Great, let me enthusiastically recount specials whether you give a shit or not!"

The only thing worse is in the US, if you look under the age of 30, or are black.

Prepare to get rushed and treated like shit because they think you won't tip.

Self-fulfilling prophecy sometimes.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Delmain wrote: »
    I'm watching an american talk about things she likes and doesn't like about norway.

interesting thing: she thinks people are a bit rude interestingly because if you're in the way they'll just wait in silence instead of going "excuse me"

it's interesting though. Slight sense of antipathy toward her now tho when she's talking about health care, maybe irrationally so.

I dunno, depends on the situation for the whole "excuse me" thing. If I obviously don't realize I'm causing you to wait, I don't view saying "excuse me" as rude at all. It's kinda just like coughing to let them know you're there, except you give them an easier time flowing into "Oh, I'm sorry."

no, but she didn't like that people didn't go "excuse me"

for some weird reason

basically we won't say shit to a stranger unless we have to.

coughing isn't all that cool a move though.

I can sort of see where she's coming from. Saying "excuse me" is pretty standard over here, 99.9% of the time the receiver of the "excuse me" will go "oh, I'm sorry" and move out of the way. No ill feelings anywhere. Standing there in silence waiting for someone who clearly doesn't know you're waiting to move seems much more passive agressive. We'd rather be told immediately that's we're in the way so everyone can get to where they're trying to go!

See, yeah, we'll go "oh, sorry" and move out of the way.

and well, although we know it's not going to be a thing at all we don't like to bother people for no reason. So unless you're in a hurry, you can wait the extra seconds.

Right, but if you're behind someone who has no idea you're there, you could be waiting a long time. This could all be avoided if "excuse me" were an acceptable thing.

well I will say "excuse me". But usually they do know I'm there. Or will in a moment.

My standard is to say "excuse me" without losing any momentum and if they don't excuse me they sorta get steamrolled because how hard is it to walk up the up escalator rather than up the single staircase next to that one escalator that I am using to descend dammit

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    Abby, I love how your countrymen united and sang a tune so powerful it made the Russians leave.

uh

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    wandering wrote: »
    LA is the only place I've ever been [given] blowjobs while driving down the freeway

And the guy in the car next to you gives you a thumbs up as you notice he has a red head.

Bless your heart.
  • Options

I dunno, depends on the situation for the whole "excuse me" thing. If I obviously don't realize I'm causing you to wait, I don't view saying "excuse me" as rude at all. It's kinda just like coughing to let them know you're there, except you give them an easier time flowing into "Oh, I'm sorry."

for some weird reason

I can sort of see where she's coming from. Saying "excuse me" is pretty standard over here, 99.9% of the time the receiver of the "excuse me" will go "oh, I'm sorry" and move out of the way. No ill feelings anywhere. Standing there in silence waiting for someone who clearly doesn't know you're waiting to move seems much more passive agressive. We'd rather be told immediately that's we're in the way so everyone can get to where they're trying to go!

and well, although we know it's not going to be a thing at all we don't like to bother people for no reason. So unless you're in a hurry, you can wait the extra seconds.

Right, but if you're behind someone who has no idea you're there, you could be waiting a long time. This could all be avoided if "excuse me" were an acceptable thing.

well I will say "excuse me". But usually they do know I'm there. Or will in a moment.

My standard is to say "excuse me" without losing any momentum and if they don't excuse me they sorta get steamrolled because how hard is it to walk up the up escalator rather than up the single staircase next to that one escalator that I am using to descend dammit

nothing personal, but if we end up in the same mall I may beat you to death on the escalators.

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    One time I tried to buy a laptop at best buy and nobody would sell me a fucking laptop

Seriously I couldn't find anyone who could help me, this is the same best buy that told my mom that christmas (2009) that sd cards didn't exist

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular

for some weird reason

I'll politely say "excuse me" unless I'm walking down the escalator to catch a subway train and there's somebody standing on the left edge of the escalator

at which point I reserve the right to say "get the fuck out of the way"

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• Options
    Ravenhpltc24Ravenhpltc24 So Raven Registered User regular

for some weird reason

In London, tourists who don't know the way of the escalator get effin chewed out by the natives.

"STAND ON THE RIGHT IF YOU'RE NOT WALKING." "CAN'T YOU READ? IT SAYS TO STAND ON THE RIGHT."

(V) ( ;,,; ) (V)
  • Options
    In London, tourists who don't know the way of the escalator get effin chewed out by the natives.

"STAND ON THE RIGHT IF YOU'RE NOT WALKING." "CAN'T YOU READ? IT SAYS TO STAND ON THE RIGHT."

34524544.jpg

• Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    Holy short handed today.

Gonna get some sweet, sweet, OT.

Aw yeah. Double time.

Makin' money like a boss.

• Options

for some weird reason

I'll politely say "excuse me" unless I'm walking down the escalator to catch a subway train and there's somebody standing on the left edge of the escalator

and people wonder why europeans think americans are a bit rude :P

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular

for some weird reason

nothing personal, but if we end up in the same mall I may beat you to death on the escalators.

There's an escalator for going up! The staircase is for going down. Why would you go up that staircase when there's potentially a shedload of people headed your way.

(this example takes place in a train station)

((I don't know why they don't just put a down escalator there as well))

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    oh my god

she thinks its weird that people can stand other people wearing the same thing as them

hahahaha

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    The only thing I feel sorry for about Best Buy is that the company is circling the drain and a bunch of people are going to lose their jobs. Unfortunately, it's due to economics (they simply cannot compete with Amazon) and not how their employees are told to act to customers.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options

for some weird reason

this is particularly ironic in light of raven's post

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular

The last time I interacted with a Best Buy salesman it was two years ago and it still bothers me because he told me something fundamentally and blatantly untrue about home networking

and i didn't even want to talk to the kid, my mom flagged him down because she thought that the Best Buy kid would know more about printers than I would

my mom is 69 years old and a really sweet lady but in that moment I was like "mom, you realize I make more in a month than the best buy kid makes in a year and I've been doing this shit for 10 years now, right?"

I had one tell me over and over again that 4:3 aspect screens are out and I need to move to widescreen. No, Sonnyjim, I am a programmer I don't want or need to move to widescreen. I actually still have my 17" LCD monitor from around 2002. Still works. A bit dim, but man, those samsung things are champs.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    DoctorArch wrote: »
    I watch movies on my iPad cuz of the beautiful screen, even if it is small.

This ipad confounds me as to why it's so expensive

I like it but

I mean why do I like it more than a kindle fire HD

I just don't care anymore, I don't want to compare shit. Apple's shit works for me. It's what I'm used to, it works really well, I like it, I'M GONNA PICK THIS.

I'm totes taking this ipad back to the store because I cannot come up with a single function or justification for it being worth $500

probably today, who knows

I mean my laptop is just plain better in every measurable aspect

Agree.

Every time I think about picking up a tablet I remind myself that it doesn't really fill a hole in my work/lifestyle and what I already have performs better than the iPad if it were to act as a replacement. Read books on the iPad? My Nook is easier on the eyes, lighter, and I can use it outside in direct sunlight. Use it for work? My laptop is far more versatile. Use it for in a pinch web surfing? My android phone is in my pocket.

As it stands now, the only valid use I have for an iPad would be if I didn't want to lug my laptop or case files into court.

I got a laptop that converts into a tablet and it works reasonably well

Although after playing around with the windows surface pro I kind of want to sell it and buy one of those

• Options
    BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Work Left Unfinished Registered User regular
    In Toronto, the escalator policy generally is, "Why would you be standing still on the escalator? You have legs! If you didn't, you'd be using the elevator! Get moving!"

• Options
    Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    SHUTUP AMERICANS ARE THE FRIENDLIEST

THERE ARE STUDIES

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • Options

for some weird reason

There's an escalator for going up! The staircase is for going down. Why would you go up that staircase when there's potentially a shedload of people headed your way.

(this example takes place in a train station)

((I don't know why they don't just put a down escalator there as well))

it doesn't matter

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    DoctorArch wrote: »
    The only thing I feel sorry for about Best Buy is that the company is circling the drain and a bunch of people are going to lose their jobs. Unfortunately, it's due to economics (they simply cannot compete with Amazon) and not how their employees are told to act to customers.

well, if you're going to run a brick and mortar store, you have to make sure you're providing a pleasant shopping experience with knowledgeable salespeople

hiring teenagers to breathe down your neck and check your bags on the way out like you're a thief don't really help

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    Skyfall is an interesting movie in that it has a solid thematic structure but its narrative structure is weak and, I would say, incoherent.

To me the Daniel Craig films have gotten less and less coherent with each iteration.

• Options

for some weird reason

this is particularly ironic in light of raven's post

I would beat raven to death politely

in a teaching manner saying that steamrolling people on staircases is very rude

ftOqU21.png
  • Options

for some weird reason

Most of the time in America if someone is in our way we just draw our concealed firearm and shoot them five or six times to get them to move

• Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular

• Options

I had one tell me over and over again that 4:3 aspect screens are out and I need to move to widescreen. No, Sonnyjim, I am a programmer I don't want or need to move to widescreen. I actually still have my 17" LCD monitor from around 2002. Still works. A bit dim, but man, those samsung things are champs.

I have multiple Samsung Syncmasters at home. they work great. I far prefer having two or more 4:3 monitors over one 16x10 monitor.

• Options
    edited February 2013
    Its funny because I confused Norway with Estonia.
    ಠ_ಠ

TTODewback on
    Bless your heart.
  • Options
    dporowskidporowski Registered User regular
    oh my god

she thinks its weird that people can stand other people wearing the same thing as them

hahahaha

This is odd, coming from a place where EVERYONE is wearing nearly identical North Face jackets and/or fleece for 8 months of the year. Of COURSE people wear what I do, REI only sells so many things, and we want to stay dry!

• Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Aha!

On the 8th attempt the application didn't freeze and crash. So I only have to do this 8 times for 8 files and I am good to go.

SLIGHT DELAY BUT W/E YOLO

PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular

for some weird reason

Couple days ago I saw someone try this on a BTP officer taking a suspect down an escalator.

She actually huffed when she got told no!

(was more 'excuse me, can I get past')

• Options
    If you're standing in the walking lane on an escalator in a train station you deserve to get literally kicked in the ass

• Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    why would you ever walk up an escalator

escalators are there so you don't have to move or do anything or think

Elendil on
This discussion has been closed.