As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Sony Conference Thread: It's over! PS4 confirmed, price/console design unknown.

• Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    Sony allowed almost any laptop HDD in the PS3, which was kinda brilliant as a design choice. I think the PS4 will be about as well thought out.

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Did that feature survive all the hardware revisions?

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    AneurhythmiaAneurhythmia Registered User regular
    Shabooty wrote: »
    nah I'm sure nintendo is down to hills of money after that whole 3ds thing

Yeah, they've only sold, what, 30 million of those?

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    The 3DS had a shitty launch. Which falls on third parties who didn't actually provide games despite Nintendo literally saying " here have the first six months "
    Its definitely performing much better now.

I still think making Pokemon black and white DS games was a stupid idea and that they would have saved the launch.

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    Vargas PrimeVargas Prime King of Nothing Just a ShowRegistered User regular
    This just in: Memory still priced at a premium, even though it is one of the cheapest components in any device.

I doubt we will see a "no hard drive" option from Sony or MS, I mean, who would be THAT stu--- oh, sorry, Nintendo, I didn't see you there.

Nintendo allows you to buy any external usb storage medium for Wiiu. So I can get a large hard drive pretty cheap for that console

While true, you still have to buy it separately, which is a hassle for the more casual user, I think. But moreso than that, with the apparent nightmare that Nintendo has made transferring purchases, saves, etc between drives/consoles, not having a dedicated hard drive for that console would constantly worry me that at some point the games I had saved to my third-party HDD would just stop working.

• Options
    gtrmpgtrmp Registered User regular
    Uriel wrote: »
    What do you guys think will be the way the console indicates a critical failure due to faulty hardware manufacturing?

Yellow light of doom? Maybe this time they will go with an airhorn.

Dukes of Hazzard style "Dixie" horn noise.

vuvuzela

• Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular

and sold out during their launch. It was the fastest selling handheld ever.

• Options
    GumpyGumpy There is always a greater powerRegistered User regular
    Fingers crossed for a new harvest moon

• Options
    Mr PinkMr Pink I got cats for youRegistered User regular
    Is anyone else excited about the rumored 'take a video of any game' function? I could see that being pretty cool.

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    i have no idea if how i would budget for a ps4
    the jump from ps2 to ps3 was huge
    i just don't know what the ps4 could possibly do that would make me start budgeting for it as soon it is announced

• Options
    Mr PinkMr Pink I got cats for youRegistered User regular
    i have no idea if how i would budget for a ps4
    the jump from ps2 to ps3 was huge
    i just don't know what the ps4 could possibly do that would make me start budgeting for it as soon it is announced

How many kidneys do you really need?

• Options
    edited February 2013
    Langly wrote: »

and sold out during their launch. It was the fastest selling handheld ever.

That might be the case, but I still don't think it met projections for what they had anticipated. And they were losing money for each one sold.

I mean, whatever you think of Nintendo as a company, they took a huge hit last year. They lost a half-billion dollars. And if I recall correctly, they're losing money on each Wii U console sold, and were banking on software to make up the difference. And now they're delaying games and losing exclusives. It's not good.

e: and here are some of those numbers. The 3DS alone sold a half-million units fewer than Nintendo had estimated, and even that estimate was a revised one, down from what they had originally speculated.

e2: And they lost an additional $350M in the first half of fiscal 2012, which I didn't realize. Man, Nintendo... Dudes.

Vargas Prime on
  • Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    Mr Pink wrote: »
    Is anyone else excited about the rumored 'take a video of any game' function? I could see that being pretty cool.

Ooh, I didn't even know that was rumored.

I like the sound of that a lot though.

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular

Yeah, I think that's awesome if it's true.

Really, whatever next gen console I get first (I know I'm gonna eventually get both) depends on what cool stuff each console has. Like, right now I'd probably buy a PS3 over the 360, because PSN and especially PS+ have totally eclipsed XBL in features and stuff. And I don't really care about multiplayer enough for the increased playercount on 360 games to matter to me.

• Options
    WimbleWimble Registered User regular
    I'm expecting both new consoles to support streaming to services like twitch or to have their own streaming platforms and such

which is cool for me because I like watching video game tournaments and such and that might help them out

4SMZq.jpg
  • Options

oh man every racist homophobe misogynist 10 year old could have their own ps4tube channel!

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular

oh man every racist homophobe misogynist 10 year old could have their own ps4tube channel!

"LOOK AT THIS VIDEO OF THIS GAY HOMO KILLING ME IN THIS GAY HOMO GAME I AM THE GREATEST I LOVE BOOBS"

• Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    Moriveth wrote: »

"LOOK AT THIS VIDEO OF THIS GAY HOMO KILLING ME IN THIS GAY HOMO GAME I AM THE GREATEST I LOVE BOOBS"

There's a new Game Grumps up?
    I keed, I keed... don't hurt me.

euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    I'm most excited about the possibility of their using the Gaikai stuff to stream games for backwards compatibility. They could tie that into the PS Plus instant library stuff and instantly make it more attractive than XBox Live.

• Options
    ButtlordButtlord Fornicus Lord of Bondage and PainRegistered User regular
    Uriel wrote: »
    What do you guys think will be the way the console indicates a critical failure due to faulty hardware manufacturing?

Yellow light of doom? Maybe this time they will go with an airhorn.

transports the user to the arenas of hell where they're forced to fight for their freedom, their lives, and a replacement from the manufacturer

• Options
    antisemitic roma-phobe

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    I am mad excited about the Orbis

GameStop put me on a list of people to call as soon as they start selling pre-orders for the system

Any GameStop employees here that would know when the hell that could possibly be? Could it be as soon as tomorrow?

• Options
    No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    So does streaming games actually work now or is it still shit from a butt

PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Nintendo needs to get out of the home console market so I can play Nintendo games on an Xbox.

I feel so filthy feeling that way but that's the way I feel now.

• Options
    If streaming games for backward compatibility is how they approach it, I will not care about backward compatibility

Unless it works amazingly

I tried OnLive to play Batman: AA and it soured me on that idea pretty much forever

• Options
    DiarmuidDiarmuid Amazing Meatball Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    OnLive & Gaikai are different things though.
    Maybe Gaikai actually know how to make it work?

edit: Either way I ain't gonna dump my PS3 just yet.

Diarmuid on
  • Options
    @Raijin Quickfoot

I love your av/sig

But more importantly

I love your title and location

• Options
    ZayZay yes i am zay Registered User regular
    Moriveth wrote: »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWX8bFCKhG4

sthbuf0g7b7y.png
  • Options
    Kanji is the best.

• Options
    Sony is apparently sinking huge sums of money into the Gaikai thing, so having that be how they handle B/C for the new console makes sense.

But yeah, whether it's stable enough to actually work on a large scale is up in the air. I have my own feelings on backwards compatibility, but if that's the way they're going I hope they can make it work. The speeds I get downloading or streaming video on the PS3 do not instill me with confidence, but hey... you never know.

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    @Raijin Quickfoot

I love your av/sig

But more importantly

I love your title and location

Omar is simply the best.

• Options
    TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    Better than all the rest

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • Options
    Better than anyone

(are we still doing this)

• Options
    Makes me feel sad for the rest

(Wait, fuck)

• Options
  • Options
    Baaaaaby you're the beeeeeest

• Options
    YOU'RE THE BEST

AROUND

• Options
    Nothin's gonna ever keep you down

• Options
    edited February 2013
    YOU'RE THE BEST

AROUND

http://youtu.be/7vZHk1N_xGs

edit: Uh, I guess the timecode thing didn't work... so skip to three minutes in.

Diarmuid on
  • Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    I just can't wait for the moment in either today's conference or the E3 conference where they announce the price is again $599, if only for everybody's reactions