As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[NHL] Thread; Wearing Adam Pardy's Helmet

• Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    Man, David Booth, scratched to make room for Dale Weise. Can we lock him in a room with an angry deer or something?

:so_raven:
  • Options
    JayrichoJayricho Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    I guess the Avs can win (and what a win) without Duchene. Too bad the annoying Blackhawks fan isn't here at work tonight.

• Options
    SevorakSevorak Registered User regular
    Burtletoy wrote: »
    The San Jose Seals are gonna give me the first loss on the season.

:(

Don't worry, I'll probably fall off at the end of the week like I have the last two weeks. :(

steam_sig.png 3DS: 0748-2282-4229
  • Options
    BlendtecBlendtec Registered User regular
    edited November 2013
    Last night I decided to start Bob in net, figuring Varly had the tougher opponent in Chicago. Boy, was I wrong there. On the plus side, the guy I'm matched up against this week had Crawford in net. It feels weird to be winning in save % with a .77.

Also, I need trade advice. Someone is offering me JVR and Benn for E.Staal and Filppula. I need goal scorers. I countered with JVR/Seguin for E.Staal/Filppula. I have no idea if I'm making a bad move here. E.Staal is a great player, but he's having an off year. Filppula is solid and stands to get major ice time with Stamkos out, but when he comes back, he's back to being just average. Seguin is a young star (no pun intended) on an average team and JVR is streaky.

Blendtec on
  • Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    Are you in keeper league? If so, take Seguin.

If not, why would you trade e.staal if you need goal scorers?

• Options
    BlendtecBlendtec Registered User regular
    E.Staal isn't scoring, he's also a -12 so far on the season. It is a keeper league though, which is why both me, and the guy I'm trading, are hesitant. We both want Seguin as a keeper, but E.Staal would be good too. He's one of the best centers that hasn't been locked up as a keeper since we started a few years ago.

• Options
    Le_GoatLe_Goat Frechified Goat Person BostonRegistered User regular
    What I find very funny about the Bruins this year is my perception of their performance thus far. I've watch probably 15 of their 21 games this year and it feels like they have increased their offensive orientation, especially with the PP unit. Many times, it feels like their PK has gotten worse. But then I take a look at their numbers:

GF 18th (59)
    GA 1st (38)
    PP 19th (18.2% - 10/55)
    PK 2nd (86.6% - 9/67)

What games am I watching? Maybe it's just how they've positioned players during special teams, but going by the numbers they are pretty much the same team as last year, not that I'm complaining. It's just crazy how my perception of them is totally off.

While I agree that being insensitive is an issue, so is being oversensitive.
  • Options
    Sevorak wrote: »
    Burtletoy wrote: »
    The San Jose Seals are gonna give me the first loss on the season.

:(

Don't worry, I'll probably fall off at the end of the week like I have the last two weeks. :(

Woo!

• Options
    RhahRhah Registered User regular
    So, Wings win with some young talent providing spark. Now, lets see Holland send him back to GR. If he plays one more game, then next time he goes to minors he has to go through waiver process (Nyquist). That won't happen. Holland doesn't have the guts to just cut/waive one of the non producing veterans.

• Options
    downerdowner Registered User regular
    In one week in fantasy my blue line has had 3 players put on IR and one DTD..

On the bright side, I got a promotion on PPM.

• Options
    DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    Ugly win last night against the Desert Dogs. But I'll take it, as whenever they come to town they always get terribly frustrating wins against us.

Like the time in ot when the puck bounced off the ref on a clear right to a Phoenix forward who scored. Or when two of our goals were waived off because they lifted the net off forcing a whistle.

7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • Options
    I'm worried about the Blues next week again. Duchene may be back that game but I kinda think he should maybe sit that one out after the way the last game went.

• Options
    DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    edited November 2013
    Yeah I have a feeling that will be a brutal game, for or against us. McLeod doesn't forget those types of shenanigans, and I can't imagine Roy does either.

Deadfall on
    7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • Options
    CleonicusCleonicus Registered User regular
    In Saturday's Ana vs Phx game, Dustin Penner scored 2 goals. All I was thinking was, "If Penner scores a hat trick, shouldn't we call it a tall stack?"

Debate 'n' DeHockey team: Astronauts
  • Options
    TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular
    Nice, one of the bolts call-ups got a goal on his first shot/shift in the nhl. Now we just need to get keep on top of things

FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
  • Options
    James Neal is fucking ripping shots right now.

• Options
    DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
  • Options
    Maybe the ref has Phaneuf on his fantasy team and really needed the penalty minutes?

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    To be fair, in real time, it looked like he threw his elbow.

He didn't, but it looked like a pretty nasty hit when it happened.

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    MyiagrosMyiagros Registered User regular
    Refs can't use video replay when making a call. The back ref called it and from where he was standing it probably looked like he led with the elbow as it went out after the hit.

iRevert wrote: »
    Because if you're going to attempt to squeeze that big black monster into your slot you will need to be able to take at least 12 inches or else you're going to have a bad time...
    Steam: MyiagrosX27
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    Not happy about the NHL's new Canadian TV deal. They made a big deal with Rogers and now games are going to be spread out amongst all Rogers channels. Hockey Night in Canada gets spread out amongst CBC (for 4 more years), CityTV and Sportsnet while TSN is losing broadcasting rights aside from a few regional deals. TSN has the best hockey coverage today. Fuck you NHL.

Jayricho on
  • Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    Its hard to turn down 5 billion dollars.

But yeah, I agree, TSN has the best stuff right now, but I imagine a lot of their talent will migrate to Sportsnet. One positive, hopefully some of the crappy talent on CBC will be tossed out. Elliot Friedman is basically the only decent person on their broadcasts outside of the play by play and colour guys. Healy, Stock, Weekes, Maclean, Cherry, they're all awful.

:so_raven:
  • Options
    Wait.

This is the death of Cherry?

And people aren't happy?

• Options
    They should hire a european analyst to compete in his timeslot.

• Options
    Corvus wrote: »
    Its hard to turn down 5 billion dollars.

But yeah, I agree, TSN has the best stuff right now, but I imagine a lot of their talent will migrate to Sportsnet. One positive, hopefully some of the crappy talent on CBC will be tossed out. Elliot Friedman is basically the only decent person on their broadcasts outside of the play by play and colour guys. Healy, Stock, Weekes, Maclean, Cherry, they're all awful.

If some of the TSN guys go to Sportsnet hopefully that means less Nick Kypreos.

• Options
    DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    I dislike Rogers as a company so I hate that they have this deal. Also, as mentioned, TSN has the best hockey coverage by a very wide margin. One has to look no further than the fantastic job they do at trade deadline and free agent frenzy days, vs the abysmal job sportsnet does in response. So on one hand I don't want rogers to be successful at TSN's expense (ie having dreger and mackenzie migrate over), but on the otherhand, losing some of that talent is a net loss for hockey fans in Canada.

• Options
    Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    I dislike Rogers as a company so I hate that they have this deal. Also, as mentioned, TSN has the best hockey coverage by a very wide margin. One has to look no further than the fantastic job they do at trade deadline and free agent frenzy days, vs the abysmal job sportsnet does in response. So on one hand I don't want rogers to be successful at TSN's expense (ie having dreger and mackenzie migrate over), but on the otherhand, losing some of that talent is a net loss for hockey fans in Canada.

Well said.

The other thing to consider how this is contributing to the slow death of HNiC and the CBC. It's hard to explain to non-Canadians how much these two things mean to Canada as a whole. CBC's cultural significance has already been significantly diminished and is only getting worse. This deal is going to do nothing to help them. Especially in 4 years when Rogers drops CBC completely.

• Options
    Looks like there is an NHL Concussion lawsuit in the workings now. I'm not entirely sure it is going to work in the plaintiff's' favor, though. I think Roenick's account pretty much nails it square on:
    I'm not going to tell people what to do and say they’re all trying to cap on the system right now. That’s their prerogative... They can put themselves in public. They can go after the league that they craved to be in since they were little kids and paid their salary. ... I've always lived in the fact that I played the game of hockey knowing there was a lot of risk to be taken. I went on the ice knowing that my health and my life could be altered in a split second, and I did it because I loved the game...

I can tell you that the teams I was with handled it very well and professionally throughout the whole ordeal.
    Then again, it's easy to agree with that statement from my couch and never playing a minute of professional hockey.

• Options
    quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular
    Le_Goat wrote: »
    Looks like there is an NHL Concussion lawsuit in the workings now. I'm not entirely sure it is going to work in the plaintiff's' favor, though. I think Roenick's account pretty much nails it square on:
    I'm not going to tell people what to do and say they’re all trying to cap on the system right now. That’s their prerogative... They can put themselves in public. They can go after the league that they craved to be in since they were little kids and paid their salary. ... I've always lived in the fact that I played the game of hockey knowing there was a lot of risk to be taken. I went on the ice knowing that my health and my life could be altered in a split second, and I did it because I loved the game...

I can tell you that the teams I was with handled it very well and professionally throughout the whole ordeal.
    Then again, it's easy to agree with that statement from my couch and never playing a minute of professional hockey.

Yeah, but part of the argument the lawsuit makes is that although the players knew there were some risks involved, the NHL wasn't willing to/didn't disclose all the risks possible as they were learning about them. They also claim that the league wasn't interested in changing rules to try to reduce those risks.

Playing hockey is risky, but the lawsuit claims it could have been less risky.....I guess. Not sure how well that will stand up in court, I assume they will settle out of court for something.

• Options
    FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    edited November 2013
    I think it will probably just be settled before it goes as far a judge deciding in a similar way to the NFL case. Where the NHL will pay out some amount of money to former players plus a little to cover future medical of currently playing players, while not admitting any liability or admission that the injuries were actually caused by playing hockey.

And then everything will go on just as it is until either the players themselves actually want the changes to reduce the chances of head injures, or the costs of insurance on players gets too high.

Foomy on
    Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    I would venture to bet a statistically significant portion of current NHL players don't fully understand the risks, at least as much as the medical profession understands them, of concussions right now.

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular
    Chanus wrote: »
    I would venture to bet a statistically significant portion of current NHL players don't fully understand the risks, at least as much as the medical profession understands them, of concussions right now.

This is part of the issue as to why I don't think the lawsuit is necessarily wrong in their aim. Unfortunately, I don't know how much they can ultimately claim that the NHL is purposely misleading the players on their safety because our knowledge on concussions is still really incomplete. That's not to say that we should sit on our hands and do nothing until we "complete all the research" (Pro-tip: We will never be done researching). But if you ultimately still want hockey around, how much can you really fault the league for staging a game where grown men crash into each other at high speeds?

• Options
    quovadis13 wrote: »
    Playing hockey is risky, but the lawsuit claims it could have been less risky.....I guess. Not sure how well that will stand up in court, I assume they will settle out of court for something.
    That's part of the argument that was stated as to why it may not be too successful. The NFL suit involved mistreatment and cover-ups. The NHL suit involves "maybe something better could have been done." Personally, I hope this just get resolved in a manner that helps medically/psychologically treat past/present players with such symptoms. It really wouldn't be that huge/expensive of a thing for the NHL to do and ethically it just seem like the right thing to do.

• Options
    downerdowner Registered User regular
    So in PPM I pulled a prospect from the academy who's name is 'Edison Thomas'.

His nickname shall be 'The Wizard'.

• Options
    It's times like this I'm glad the amount of divisional games is down in the realignment schedule. Ugh.

• Options
    Jayricho wrote: »
    It's times like this I'm glad the amount of divisional games is down in the realignment schedule. Ugh.
    That's one of the main things I detest about the realignment (aside from still not used the a Metro division). It almost makes you wonder what the point of a division is now. You play each team 4 times and that's it. I'd rather they did something like in 13/14, all East times play at West teams. In 14/15, all West teams play at East. Rinse, Repeat. All of the other games would get thrown into the divisional series and make having divisions more relevant. Every team would still get a taste of the other conference, but not at the expense of watering down the point of divisions.

• Options
    Yeah I know what you mean. I'm just commenting on the Avs being outscored by the Blues 11-5 across 2 games so far this year.

• Options
    The Blues are what I see the Avs in two or three years. Fast, agile, physical. We actually played a decent game wednesday. St. Louis just played better.

7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Darren Helm might have learned to finish, you guys.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Also wooooooo Big Ten hockey is a thing that exists for real as of nowish.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.