Options

This is the dawning of the Age of Ultron.

• Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    So issue 2 was good though not as great as issue 1. Hitch's art makes the desolation look mighty impressive and gives a good scale of the destruction.

Wonder who that figure was that Spidey saw during the initial attack?

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    We have our official verdict:
    prv15796_pg4.jpg

Spidey is Ock intentionally doing a very convincing Peter Parker

anything like when he's with Hawkeye can easily be explained by saying Parker was in control for a brief moment

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    The Fantastic Four preview looked good as well. With so few tie-ins I'm actually looking forward to fleshing out this story a bit. I can't believe there are actually less issues for this than originally promised (Marvel said 10 main and 10 tie-ins but turns out there are only 9 tie-ins). This just makes me more irritated that Fear Itself turned into the bloated mess it became when it started out basically like AoU. Not saying the story would have been any better but had it just been the main series along with Thor and IIM it would at least have been easier to ignore.

• Options
    I really love Dexter Soy's art right there

The inking was too heavy and blotchy on Captain Marvel but that shit is slick

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    AxvX was pretty easy to ignore I must admit if you didn't bother with the Avengers franchise and I guess a few X books.

• Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    We have our official verdict:
    prv15796_pg4.jpg

Spidey is Ock intentionally doing a very convincing Peter Parker

anything like when he's with Hawkeye can easily be explained by saying Parker was in control for a brief moment

Huh. Well there goes that perfectly good theory.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    I highly doubt Bendis knew about the Superior thing before he wrote AoU so I guess this is their attempt to explain things more clearly. Christos Gage is as good a choice as any to write a good one-shot story.

• Options
    wirehead26 wrote: »
    I highly doubt Bendis knew about the Superior thing before he wrote AoU so I guess this is their attempt to explain things more clearly. Christos Gage is as good a choice as any to write a good one-shot story.

Slotts been building up to superior for like 2 years. I wouldn't be so sure about it.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    Well, AoU has been drawn at least partially drawn for about two years, and written for longer.

Bendis has said we should consider Spidey Pete, so Gage is just running damage control.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    ArmorocArmoroc Registered User regular
    Doesn't Tony already know Peter works at Horizon?

• Options
    Sars_BoySars_Boy Rest, You Are The Lightning. Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    hey uh, where are people talking about this Angela thing?

because I kind of thought i was having a very weird dream when i read that news this morning.

like i still kind of think it's a fake out. even after that bleeding cool thing.

Sars_Boy on
  • Options
    He might know Peter Parker does, but only because Tony's in the same business and might be keeping tabs on the competition.

Most of the Avengers don't know Spidey's secret identity.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Well, now I'm sad again. I was happy for a moment for Peter being back.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    Catching up on the thread...

Why are we saying this isn't like Age of Apocalypse? The exact same "This takes place in the real Marvel Universe!" line was used for AoA, and when it was over the AoA universe ceased to exist. It was later retconned into being an AU.

• Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    Tomanta wrote: »
    Catching up on the thread...

Why are we saying this isn't like Age of Apocalypse? The exact same "This takes place in the real Marvel Universe!" line was used for AoA, and when it was over the AoA universe ceased to exist. It was later retconned into being an AU.

There are nuances, but honestly the differences are so minute that they aren't really worth getting into.

The main thing separating them is the fact that the turning point for AoA occurred in the past, whereas the turning point for Age of Ultron evidently occurs in the present or near-future.

• Options
    JyrenBJyrenB St. AugustineRegistered User regular
    I really love Dexter Soy's art right there

The inking was too heavy and blotchy on Captain Marvel but that shit is slick

I don't have a book next to me to check the credits, so I might be wrong, but I don't believe Soy ever has an inker. All his art is digital painting.

To my eye, this isn't all that different. But hey, I seemed to be one of the few that loved his Captain Marvel issues.

osasbutton.png
    XBL: JyrenB ; Steam: Jyren ; Twitter
  • Options
    cardboard delusionscardboard delusions USAgent PSN: USAgent31Registered User regular
    When did Bendis say it's Pete - I'm pretty sure Slott said it was Ock but would make more sense after SSM6 AU.

• Options
    When did Bendis say it's Pete - I'm pretty sure Slott said it was Ock but would make more sense after SSM6 AU.

Bendis didn't? I'm not sure why you asked that. Some of us had a theory involving Pete having his body back for AoU and it hasn't panned out.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    Bendis said that "for all intents and purposes, Peter Parker is Spider-Man."

Gage was probably asked to make that work with the current storyline, and judging from the preview he's doing a solid job of it.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    AmiguAmigu Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    With such a big central project it wouldn't surprise me if they reworked some of the scenes to fit Spoc in if he wasn't originally in the book. Whether it had been written already or not.

Amigu on
    BitD PbP Character Volstrom
    QEz1Jw1.png
  • Options
    Ugh.

Feels like I don't understand anything about AoU.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    Ugh.

There's only one thing to understand about the book. It took too long.

It was meant to be the real conclusion to Bendis's Avenger run, where it was set up and foreshadowed. It fits in badly with Marvel Now because of this. Instead of being an exciting and gamechanging finale, it's mostly making people anxious. People really like the new direction of the Now books, and they are afraid this crossover is going to fuck things up.

My guess is that the Marvel Now stuff will be largely untouched. There will be big changes, but I suspect they will mostly involve Hank Pym and Wasp, two characters deeply intertwined with the Ultron storyline and conspiciously in the background in the Now books.

Phillishere on
  • Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    Bendis said that "for all intents and purposes, Peter Parker is Spider-Man."

Gage was probably asked to make that work with the current storyline, and judging from the preview he's doing a solid job of it.

could that be because everyone assumes spider ock is peter parker

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    JyrenBJyrenB St. AugustineRegistered User regular
    Ugh.

I think it's working fine so far.

It's just damn near impossible to speculate on the details right now, as we have such limited information of what's going on. But it seems pretty clear to me that we're actually going to get those details, so I'm happy to read along and see where things go.

Now, if it ends up still confusing as to where/when/what/why/how/who, then I guess we just have to chalk it up to "This is what happens when a book takes years to come out" but hopefully not.

osasbutton.png
    XBL: JyrenB ; Steam: Jyren ; Twitter
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    you people sweat the minutiae too much, there's nothing to understand right now except "Ultron won, the heroes are fucked."

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    AoU is also designed so it can be completely ignored during it's run so I doubt it will change that much.

• Options
    The only thing that might hurt this for me is if Ultron doesn't have enough of a personality.

I haven't read a ton of stories with him, but he seems like the kind of character that can be written as sort of a generic killbot.

• Options
    Well it is looking like
    Hank Pym is the actual villain behind it all.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    The only thing that might hurt this for me is if Ultron doesn't have enough of a personality.

I haven't read a ton of stories with him, but he seems like the kind of character that can be written as sort of a generic killbot.

A lot of writers forget that his personality is based off Hank Pym's. It is why he has massive daddy issues and an obsession with Wasp.

Phillishere on
  • Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    I liked him as the leader of the phalanx... Hmm, Ok maybe that's the only ultron story I've read

• Options
    Ultron Unlimited is the best Ultron story ever

And available on comixology!

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    Well it is looking like
    Hank Pym is the actual villain behind it all.

I think this is going to end up being a red herring planted for solicitations only. It feels too predictable.

tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    I doubt it is that simple, yeah, but that seems pretty clear to be a large part of it.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    tehjestertehjester Tampa, FlRegistered User regular
    mayhaps he's a leftover Skrull Hank Pym leftover from the Skrull Invasion, however long ago that was?

PSN: JesterKing13 Blizz Battletag: tehjester#1448
  • Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    Reading the wiki, It was a female Skrull impersonating Hank ( Which now raises so many other questions about the Tigra Skrull baby), and that she was killed by Dugan Skrull for even more comic book reasons.

WiseManTobes on
    Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    skrulls don't really have traditional gender

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Skrulls have no actual biological gender roles, I believe? They just tend to pick and stick with one.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    You know the one character Bendis reintroduced who's never been brought up till now? The Beyonder. That's as good a guess as any as to who fixes the world at the end of the story.

• Options
    Didn't multiple Skrulls have to impersonate Pym because at least one couldn't take the strain and went rogue?

• Options
    Didn't multiple Skrulls have to impersonate Pym because at least one couldn't take the strain and went rogue?

yeah this is true, the Hank Pym memory/personality imprint or whatever they were using to create such seamless copies kept driving the skrulls insane

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]