Options

[PATV] Monday, March 4, 2013 - CheckPoint Season 2, Ep. 38: Getting Down to Bidness

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited March 2013 in The Penny Arcade Hub

image[PATV] Monday, March 4, 2013 - CheckPoint Season 2, Ep. 38: Getting Down to Bidness

FAQ Feeds Schedule

Read the full story here

Dog on

• Options
    JAEFJAEF Unstoppably Bald Registered User regular
    This video is private? T_T

• Options
    AyefkayAyefkay Queensland, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    it sure is...

My PinnyPals Digital Lanyard: Now Up to date! https://pinnypals.com/pals/Ayefkay

8fuuo_RK.png
  • Options
    GilhelmiGilhelmi Registered User regular
    WHY IS VIDEO PRIVATE????

NOOOOO, DOOOOM HAS COME ONTO US. Woe is the PA viewer, for we have been forsaken.

Ohh, look, the Hunger Games is on the TV. later

• Options
    FalxFalx Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    I said Graham should do a topless episode... and they decided to make it premium content... this is all my fault!

Alt post:

This episode feels less fulfilling somehow.

Falx on
  • Options
    Mr. MaskMr. Mask Registered User regular
    Checkpoint Team: "Hey, we've gotten a lot of comments already. That was fa--....whoops."

• Options
    PugironPugiron Registered User regular
    Well should be 10-12 days before someone notices and fixes this.

• Options
    OphenixOphenix Registered User regular
    Hmmm... So no Check Point? :( But how will I eat?

• Options
    Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    Worked for me.

Fuck off and die.
  • Options
    Mr. MaskMr. Mask Registered User regular
    They got it working, guys.

• Options
    WarmthWarmth Registered User regular
    Blizzard Prediction: They're going to put everyone that shows up in a pit surrounded by barbed iron spikes and force them to fight to the death. The resulting footage will be sold at a premium under the guise of being D3 PvP. Or maybe I'm just being hopeful. It's probably just SC2 on the next Xbox.

• Options
    metroidkillahmetroidkillah Local Bunman Free Country, USARegistered User regular
    When it comes right down to it, Graham and Kathleen are pretty good with their little goofy endings. I laugh pretty much every time. Also, I read caption of the bunny picture as "Bew Are Rage Beast". Needless to say, I was horribly confused for about 10 seconds

In all seriousness, though, that Uncharted 3 section just made me shake my head (and chuckle, obviously). They're not trying "to see what business models people gravitate to", they're trying to see if anyone will notice what's wrong with that particular picture. It's a very EA-like move, and I was just discussing with my brother last night how hijinks like RR3 are only the beginning if even only a small percentage of people decide such things are "worth the money".

Coincidentally, I have also been recently contemplating the ESRB and parents' general ignorance of it. Those numbers were not encouraging.

I'm not a nice guy, I just play one in real life.
  • Options
    jedidethfreakjedidethfreak Registered User regular
    The Naughty Dog thing doesn't surprise me - Sony needs to monetize the fuck out of everything if they expect the PS4 to make a profit at some point, seeing as how the PS3 never really got the chance to do so.

As for the "coming up" segment, lolz@ "hey, it may have been crappy, but it was OURS!" Wouldn't that describe pretty much every Canadian exclusive?

Wind Fish in name only, for it is neither.
  • Options
    Zachary AmaranthZachary Amaranth Registered User regular
    Dammit! I was going to put in a bet on "Destroy All Humans!"

• Options
    RiffRaff14RiffRaff14 Registered User new member
    So Blizzard is making a handheld device of some sort...? But why?

• Options
    PugironPugiron Registered User regular
    Do not call us. No.

• Options
    SiddownSiddown Registered User regular
    As a parent who's a bit older, the fact that so many people don't understand the ESRB ratings is down right confusing to me.

"Rated T for Teen" or "E for Everyone" is too complicated to understand?

Whether you agree or disagree with the ESRB (the ratings it choose or the need for it at all) is one thing, or not knowing of it's existence is another (which to me is just bad parenting) but not understanding what it is? That's amazing to me.

• Options
    mew4ever23mew4ever23 Registered User new member
    The ESRB rating system is not hard. Anyone reading this that doesn't understand it, should click this: http://www.esrb.org/ratings/ratings_guide.jsp . Everything is explained in perfectly understandable terms there.

The thing to remember is that all the ESRB ratings do is warn you about the kind of game you are looking at. The parents are the ones who have to decide to buy it.

• Options
    PinPrickNachoMancyPinPrickNachoMancy Registered User regular
    I'd kind of like the rights to the Summoner franchise...

• Options
    GyralGyral Registered User regular
    Yeah, I'd like to see someone get the rights to Summoner. I... actually liked the games though they really needed more polish.

25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • Options
    TyrranisTyrranis Registered User regular
    ...didn't THQ have the rights to the Stuntman games, since they helped get Stuntman: Ignition out the door?

Where's that license? With the recent trend of 'tough-as-balls' games such as Dark Souls, surely the original 'tough-as-balls' driving game should get its day in the limelight, right?

• Options
    Rigs83Rigs83 Registered User regular
    Never underestimate the laziness of an overworked and underpaid parents to not want to learn something new.

• Options
    lawragatajarlawragatajar Registered User regular
    The ESRB isn't even that different from the movie rating system in the US. An M Game is like an R movie. A T game is like a PG-13 movie. And E game is like a PG or G movie. If anything, it should be easier, because the full names are easy to understand concepts of Mature (M), Teen (T), and Everyone (E), instead of Restricted (R), Parents Strongly Cautioned (PG-13), and Parental Guidance Suggested (PG), and General Audiences (G).

• Options
    SonickSonick IndiaRegistered User regular
    Youtube! what.

• Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    The ESRB isn't even that different from the movie rating system in the US. An M Game is like an R movie. A T game is like a PG-13 movie. And E game is like a PG or G movie. If anything, it should be easier, because the full names are easy to understand concepts of Mature (M), Teen (T), and Everyone (E), instead of Restricted (R), Parents Strongly Cautioned (PG-13), and Parental Guidance Suggested (PG), and General Audiences (G).

Look, parents don't have time to be reading large, isolated letters all god damned day. Give me some pictograms or something. Game publishers should be obliged to incorporate examples of their objectionable content right there on cover. Are there boobs in there? Put some on the box. Violence? Add some explosions. Is there an online interaction component? Just print "SHITCOCK" in big letters across the whole thing. Now I know if my kid can play it.
    Of course he can play it, it's just a video game. They probably just put boobs and explosions on everything these days.

ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • Options
    StuntspikeStuntspike Don Juan De La Nooch In the midstRegistered User regular
    edited March 2013
    OMG Arbitrary I damn near spit my coffee all over my screen. With that said, keep up the good work LoadingReadyRun. I sincerely enjoy this show.

Stuntspike on
    "Give a man a match, and he'll be warm for a minute, but set him on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."
  • Options
    GrotusqueGrotusque Registered User regular
    Signed in just to upvote ArbitraryDescriptor.

Perfect.

• Options
    BarthedaBartheda Registered User regular
    Is it just me or can anyone else imagine Kathleen leading a angry mob charge, burning stake in one hand pitchfork in the other?

• Options
    OatsOats Registered User regular
    Pretty sure she has a degree in political science. What else would she do with it?

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Oats wrote: »
    Pretty sure she has a degree in political science. What else would she do with it?

Harveys.sflb.ashx

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Choosing a Canadian chain was a nice touch.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Sadly that's the only place I've had poutine from - maybe somewhere else with a chicken mascot?

• Options
    SandroNecromancerSandroNecromancer Registered User regular
    Wait... wasn't the Supreme Commander IP owned by Square Enix now?

I'd hope for a developer to take up the IP and do something with it, but the only company that I can think off that'd do a good job with it is either Uber or GPG, but Uber is busy with Planetary Annihilation and GPG is in some weird tides right now.

Hmm... actually, maybe Paradox. Maybe.

"Obedience and patriotism are men's worst ills. Obedient is the one who doesn't want to think, patriot is the one who doesn't want to question."
    - Anonymous Russian Philosopher
  • Options
    Iron LungIron Lung Registered User regular
    Ahh, Summoner 2. A remarkably deep, original, and creative title. Yeah, that would be worth having.