As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Organized Crime, a [mini-Phalla]: Game Over. Mafia Victory

• Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    edited March 2013
    Day 1
    Mission 1: blahmcblah, Cayrus (killed), Phyphor, The Anonymous. Failure, not enough participants (3<4). No data.
    Mission 2: Farangu, KetBra, kime, Mikey CTS, premium, Retaba, vertroue. Failure, enough participants (7>4). Sabotage.
    Mission 3: Baidol, GrimmyTOA, Iron Weasel, jdarksun, ObiFett. Failure, enough participants (5>4). Sabotage.
    Mission 4: BradicusMaximus (killed), I needed a name to post., Langly, OminousLozenge, Smasher Zombie Hero. Failure, enough participants (4==4). Sabotage.
    Mission 5: Assuran, CesareB, Locus, Mill (vote), TheRoadVirus (killed). Failure, not enough participants (3<4). No data.

Did not participate: bliss101, Cythraul, Invictus

Day 2
    Mission 1: GrimmyTOA, I needed a name to post. (vig), KetBra, Langly, ObiFett, Retaba. Success! No data.
    Mission 2: Baidol, Farangu, Iron Weasel, kime, OminousLozenge. Failure, enough participants (5>4). Sabotage.
    Mission 3: Assuran (killed), blahmcblah (killed), CesareB, Locus (killed), Mikey CTS. Failure, not enough participants (2<3). No data.
    Mission 4: bliss101, Invictus, Phyphor, premium, Smasher Zombie Hero (vote), vertroue. Failure, enough participants (5>4). Sabotage.

Did not participate: Cythraul, jdarksun, The Anonymous

Day 3
    Mission 1: GrimmyTOA, Langly, ObiFett, Retaba. Success! No data.
    Mission 2: Baidol, Farangu (vote), Iron Weasel, kime, vertroue. Failure, enough participants (4==4). Sabotage.
    Mission 3: CesareB, Cythraul, OminousLozenge, Phyphor, The Anonymous. Failure, enough participants (5>3). Sabotage.
    Mission 4: bliss101, jdarksun, Mikey CTS, premium. Success! No data.

Did not participate: Invictus, KetBra

Day 4
    Mission 1: GrimmyTOA, Langly (vig fallout), ObiFett, Phyphor, Retaba. Success! No data.
    Mission 2: Failure, not enough participants (0<5). No data.
    Mission 3: Baidol, bliss101, CesareB, Cythraul, jdarksun, Mikey CTS, OminousLozenge, premium. Failure, enough participants (8>4). Sabotage.

Did not participate: Invictus, Iron Weasel (killed), KetBra (Inactivus), kime (vig), The Anonymous, vertroue (vote)

Day 5
    No missions.

Did not participate: Baidol (vig), premium (vote)

jdarksun on
  • Options
    InvictusInvictus Registered User regular
    premium wrote: »
    Like, it's a fun theory because it makes analysis easier if it's true and all that, but I just haven't seen anything that backs it up.

Here's a question. Why would premium fight the autoflag theory so hard if it was false? Here are two options.

1) He thought his best shot to survive was to make good pro-village arguments, and his legitimate opinion was that there was not good reason to believe the autoflag theory.

2) The village believing the autoflag theory, even if it was false, would disadvantage the mafia. The obvious explanation for this fact would be that in fact, phyphor and OL are not mafia, even though the mechanics of the game are such that our evidence does not guarantee that they aren't.

1) and 2) are consistent; that would give premium two reasons to act that way. In fact, 1) and 2) both being true are much more likely than 1) being true and 2) being false. If 1) were true and 2) were false, then premium's actions show that he believes the advantage to the mafia of maybe saving premium's life is more significant than the disadvantage of correcting the village's beliefs.

This last claim is quite unlikely because premium shouldn't think he had a really good shot of preventing his death by this line of argument. Unfortunately, this fact presents a third possibility:

3) premium believes he is doomed, and he is sowing chaos among the village.

I think this is pretty unlikely. If 3) is unlikely, then either some good combination of 1) and 2) are true, or the autoflag theory is true.

The upshot is that we should think OL and phyphor are probably not mafia, unless premium was just saying crazy bullshit yesterday for no particular reason.

Generalísimo de Fuerzas Armadas de la República Argentina
  • Options
    CythraulCythraul Registered User regular
    What's the honourable mention about? O_L seems fairly suspect as well.

Steam
    Confusion will be my epitaph
  • Options
    If the hm is something to be looked at abuszy

Steam
  • Options
    Uh, that should be "anyway". Thanks, phone

Steam
  • Options
    Day 1 Sabotages:
    Mission 2: Mikey CTS, premium, or Retaba.
    Mission 3: Baidol, GrimmyTOA, jdarksun, or ObiFett.
    Mission 4: I needed a name to post., or OminousLozenge.

Day 2 Sabotages:
    Mission 2: Baidol or OminousLozenge.
    Mission 4: bliss101, Invictus, Phyphor, premium.

Day 3 Sabotages:
    Mission 2: Baidol.
    Mission 3: CesareB, Cythraul, OminousLozenge, Phyphor, or The Anonymous.

Day 4 Sabotages:
    Mission 3: Baidol, bliss101, CesareB, Cythraul, jdarksun, Mikey CTS, OminousLozenge, premium.

I know that Phyphor didn't sabotage Day 3's Mission 3. So our choices for saboteur are: CesareB, Cythraul, OminousLozenge, or The Anonymous.

CesareB has not been on a successful mission. Twice his missions failed due to mafia kills, and twice his missions were sabotaged.

Cythraul has not been on a successful mission. He sat out twice, and twice his missions were sabotaged.

OminousLozenge has not been on a successful mission. Every mission he participated in was sabotaged.

The Anonymous has not been on a successful mission. He sat out twice, had one mission fail due to mafia kills, and had one mission sabotaged.

Data on known mafia behavior:
    * They only doubled up once (Day 4's Mission 3).
    * They never sat out.
    * They only went on one successful mission (Day 3's Mission 4).

• Options
    Invictus wrote: »
    Like, it's a fun theory because it makes analysis easier if it's true and all that, but I just haven't seen anything that backs it up.
    Here's a question. Why would premium fight the autoflag theory so hard if it was false?
    Actually, my autoflag theory was false. premium, as a member of the mafia, knew that. If he was a villager and was really so concerned about me working on a false premise, he would have sought a clarification from the host (which I did).
    Cythraul wrote: »
    What's the honourable mention about? O_L seems fairly suspect as well.
    OL was doubled up with INANTP on Day 1's Mission 4. The honorable mention bit is because we couldn't rule him out just because we had already found a mafia on that mission.

• Options
    Co-located potential mafia with known mafia:
    Day 1, Mission 4: INANTP with OminousLozenge.
    Day 2, Mission 2: Baidol with OminousLozenge.
    Day 4, Mission 3: Baidol and premium with CesareB, Cythraul, and OminousLozenge.

• Options
    edited March 2013
    jdarksun wrote: »
    Here's a question. Why would premium fight the autoflag theory so hard if it was false?
    Actually, my autoflag theory was false. premium, as a member of the mafia, knew that. If he was a villager and was really so concerned about me working on a false premise, he would have sought a clarification from the host (which I did).

Great! But my analysis above was premised on it being false, and as a result, we /still/ probably should think OL and phyphor are clean.

EDIT: else premium was fighting a theory that tended to exonerate a mafia member. Which would be crazy.

Invictus on
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    Vote record posts incoming.

Day 1:
    Mill: 6 kime, BradicusMaximus, I needed a name to post., Mikey CTS, Cythraul, Langly
    Iron Weasel: 3 Assuran, Locus, Bliss 101
    TheRoadVirus: 3 Phyphor, Smasher Zombie Hero, Mikey CTS, GrimmytOA
    Cythraul: 2 Farangu, TheRoadVirus
    Mikey CTS: 2 OminousLozenge, I needed a name to post., premium
    The Anonymous: 2 blahmcblah, Baidol
    Assuran: 1 Iron Weasel
    Baidol: 1 Cayrus
    blahmcblah: 1 KetBra
    I needed a name to post.: 1 Mikey CTS, ObiFett
    Invictus: 1 jdarksun
    KetBra: 1 Retaba
    Langly: 1 CesareB
    ObiFett: 1 Invictus
    Phyphor: 1 The Anonymous
    OminousLozenge: 0 Assuran

jdarksun on
  • Options
    GrimmyTOAGrimmyTOA Registered User regular
    Not that it mattered a whole lot, but you missed my vote on day one, jdark: TRV.

• Options
    Day 1:
    Mill: 6 kime, BradicusMaximus, I needed a name to post., Mikey CTS, Cythraul, Langly
    Iron Weasel: 3 Assuran, Locus, Bliss 101
    TheRoadVirus: 3 Phyphor, Smasher Zombie Hero, Mikey CTS, GrimmyTOA
    Cythraul: 2 Farangu, TheRoadVirus
    Mikey CTS: 2 OminousLozenge, I needed a name to post., premium
    The Anonymous: 2 blahmcblah, Baidol
    Assuran: 1 Iron Weasel
    Baidol: 1 Cayrus
    blahmcblah: 1 KetBra
    I needed a name to post.: 1 Mikey CTS, ObiFett
    Invictus: 1 jdarksun
    KetBra: 1 Retaba
    Langly: 1 CesareB
    ObiFett: 1 Invictus
    Phyphor: 1 The Anonymous
    OminousLozenge: 0 Assuran

Day 2:
    Smasher Zombie Hero: 11 OminousLozenge, CesareB, Baidol, Langly, Cythraul, GrimmyTOA, Mikey CTS, kime, I needed a name to post., Phyphor, KetBra
    I needed a name to post.: 2 jdarksun, blahmcblah, Locus
    Iron Weasel: 2 Retaba, ObiFett
    Mikey CTS: 2 blahmcblah, vertroue
    OminousLozenge: 2 Bliss 101, Invictus
    CesareB: 1 Smasher Zombie Hero
    premium: 1 Farangu

Day 3:
    Farangu: 10 jdarksun, Mikey CTS, Iron Weasel, premium, CesareB, Phyphor, vertroue, kime, Langly, Cythraul
    Baidol: 3 Farangu, OminousLozenge, Iron Weasel, The Anonymous, CesareB
    premium: 3 Bliss 101, GrimmyTOA, ObiFett
    Iron Weasel: 2 CesareB, Retaba, Baidol
    vertroue: 0 Retaba

Day 4:
    vertroue: 10 OminousLozenge, Invictus, Cythraul, CesareB, Bliss 101, Retaba, Langly, Phyphor, jdarksun, Baidol
    Baidol: 6 kime, ObiFett, The Anonymous, Mikey CTS, Iron Weasel, GrimmyTOA
    CesareB: 1 vertroue
    kime: 1 premium, GrimmyTOA, Cythraul
    Iron Weasel: 0 Retaba, Bliss 101

Day 5:
    premium: 8 GrimmyTOA, OminousLozenge, Bliss 101, The Anonymous, Invictus, Retaba, Baidol, Cythraul, CesareB
    Baidol: 1 Bliss 101, The Anonymous, Mikey CTS, GrimmyTOA, OminousLozenge
    Cythraul: 1 Baidol, jdarksun
    jdarksun: 1 ObiFett
    Retaba: 1 premium

• Options
    So, on Cythraul

Sat out night one. He acknowledged to Mill here that he'd been asked not to sit out (per the -- I thought widely acknowledged though it looks less clear on review -- change from having a bench to everyone taking a job), and still didn't pick a mission. He then tossed a last-minute vote on Mill.

Day two may have been forum instability -- he certainly claimed that to be the case immediately.

I guess what I'm saying is that his actions can be explained equally easily by him being mafia or borderline-inactive.

Ugh. The issue is that the other main suspect is OL, and he was co-located with known mafia on two of his four missions, and with Cythraul on his other two.

I'm actually more suspicious of CesareB (also co-located with Cythraul and OL on nights 3 and 4; very bandwagony vote record) than either of them -- though that may be my anti-Borgia prejudices showing through again.

• Options
    edited March 2013
    Prime suspects and associated votes.

Day 1
    Cythraul picked up a couple votes on Day 1, but was never really a contender (one was early, one was late).
    Same goes for The Anonymous - he picked up a late day vote from Baidol, which is a little interesting.
    INANTP and premium were briefly co-located on Mikey CTS, which is also who OL voted for.

The late-day push for Mill was interesting. It could have been driven votes away from Cythraul or The Anonymous.

Day 2
    All of our suspects voted for Smasher Zombie Hero, except for The Anonymous, who didn't vote.

Day 3
    Both Baidol and premium had pretty hefty wagons going.

Post #646, red by Farangu on Baidol (Baidol 1)
    Post #648, red by Bliss 101 on premium (premium 1)
    Post #662, red by OminousLozenge on Baidol (Baidol 2)
    Post #663, red by Iron Weasel on Baidol (Baidol 3)
    Post #666, red by The Anonymous on Baidol (Baidol 4)
    Post #685, red by CesareB on Baidol (Baidol 5)
    Post #692, red by CesareB on Iron Weasel (Iron Weasel 1, Baidol 4)
    Post #693, lime by Iron Weasel on Baidol (Baidol 3)
    Post #711, red by GrimmyTOA on premium (Premium 2)
    Post #727, red by jdarksun on Farangu (Farangu 1)
    Post #737, red by Mikey CTS on Farangu (Farangu 2)
    Post #764, red by ObiFett on premium (Premium 3)
    Post #770, red by ObiFett on Iron Weasel (IW 2, premium 2)
    Post #777, red by Iron Weasel on Farangu (Farangu 3) <-- ties Baidol with Farangu
    Post #781, red by Cythraul on Iron Weasel (IW 3) <-- ties Iron Weasel with Baidol and Farangu
    Post #785, red by premium on Farangu (Farangu 4) <-- Farangu takes the lead
    Post #786, red by CesareB on Farangu (Farangu 5, Iron Weasel 2) <-- cementing Farangu's lead
    Post #787, red by Phyphor on Farangu (farangu 6)
    Post #789, red by vertroue on Farangu (farangu 7)
    Post #790, red by Retaba on Iron Weasel (Iron Weasel 3)
    Post #792, red by kime on Farangu (Farangu 8)
    Post #793, red by Baidol on Iron Weasel (Iron Weasel 4)
    Post #796, red by Langly on Farangu (farangu 9)
    Post #798, red by Cythraul on Farangu (farangu 10, Iron Weasel 3)

OL and T_A parked early votes on Baidol.
    CesareB pulled off an early vote on Baidol to park it on Farangu (after using IW as an intermediary).
    Cythraul wasn't terribly active, but placed a fascinatingly timed vote to create a three-way tie.

Posts #777-786 are fascinating. Check this page out.

Day 4
    Post #841, red by kime on Baidol (Baidol 1)
    Post #845, red by ObiFett on Baidol (Baidol 2)
    Post #847, red by The Anonymous on Baidol (Baidol 3)
    Post #850, red by Mikey CTS on Baidol (Baidol 4)
    Post #851, red by premium on kime (kime 1)
    Post #853, red by vertroue on kime (KIME 2)
    Post #854, red by GrimmyTOA on kime (kime 3)
    Post #856, red by Cythraul on kime (kime 4) <-- ties kime with Baidol
    Post #857, red by Iron Weasel on Baidol (Baidol 5) <-- Baidol retakes the lead
    Post #859, red by GrimmyTOA on Baidol (baidol 6)
    Post #875, red by Retaba on Iron Weasel (Iron Weasel 1)
    Post #876, red by Bliss 101 on Iron Weasel (Iron Weasel 2)
    Post #877, red by OminousLozenge on vertroue (vertroue 1)
    Post #882, red by Invictus on vertroue (vertroue 2)
    Post #886, red by vertroue on CesareB (CesareB 1, kime 3)
    Post #889, red by Cythraul on vertroue (Vertroue 3, kime 2)
    Post #894, red by CesareB on vertroue (ventroue 4)
    Post #904, red by Bliss 101 on vertroue (vertroue 5)
    Post #911, red by Retaba on vertroue (Vertroue 6) <-- ties vertroue with Baidol
    Post #913, red by Langly on vertroue (Vertroue 7) <-- vert takes the lead
    Post #919, red by Phyphor on vertroue (vertroue 8)
    Post #936, red by jdarksun on vertroue (vertroue 9)
    Post #938, red by Baidol on vertroue (vertroue 10)

The Anonymous parks an early vote on Baidol. Again.
    Cythraul continues tying people with Baidol.
    OminousLozenge starts the vertwagon, which eventually goes on to save Baidol.
    CesareB contributed to the vertwagon, but not at a particularly interesting juncture.

Day 5
    Not a whole lot of vote action on Day 5. I stopped an early wagon on Baidol. GrimmyTOA started the premiumwagon, which OL had the second vote on. T_A joined shortly thereafter. Cythraul and CesareB joined towards the end.

The only dissenters were Obifett (who voted for myself), Baidol and I (who voted for Cythraul), and premium (who voted for Retaba). Mikey CTS had an early vote for Baidol that he never moved.

jdarksun on
  • Options
    Mikey CTSMikey CTS Registered User regular
    I'd been trying to get him killed like since day two.

My mafiadar would have been on fire this game, if only I'd learn to trust my own instincts. Too many failures in past phallas have taught me not to trust my own feelings, though.

// PSN: wyrd_warrior // MHW Name: Josei //
  • Options
    Mikey CTS wrote: »
    I'd been trying to get him killed like since day two.

My mafiadar would have been on fire this game, if only I'd learn to trust my own instincts. Too many failures in past phallas have taught me not to trust my own feelings, though.

Who, precisely? OL or CesareB?

• Options
    Mikey CTSMikey CTS Registered User regular
    Baidol, actually. OL and CesareB I've never been sure of.

// PSN: wyrd_warrior // MHW Name: Josei //
  • Options
    CesareBCesareB Registered User regular

Great! But my analysis above was premised on it being false, and as a result, we /still/ probably should think OL and phyphor are clean.

EDIT: else premium was fighting a theory that tended to exonerate a mafia member. Which would be crazy.

Here's the thing though. By that time it was pretty obvious premium would be dying (and hence revealed) that night. So he knew that this conversation would be happening.

Obviously you can go around and around with these sorts of arguments. I think the standard procedure is to ignore what a mafia says in that sort of position.

• Options
    CesareB wrote: »

Here's the thing though. By that time it was pretty obvious premium would be dying (and hence revealed) that night. So he knew that this conversation would be happening.

Obviously you can go around and around with these sorts of arguments. I think the standard procedure is to ignore what a mafia says in that sort of position.

I talk about this in the original analysis post, and basically I assess that he has definitely put it in the wine in front of me.

This assessment is, as you say, not perfect. But I think it's better than nothing.

• Options
    Cythraul. I liked it yesterday, and I like it today.

But, please guys. I'm clearly fallible. If at all possible, we need more discussion in here. We've had some good stuff so far, but it's really, really quiet for 12 players remaining.

• Options
    I'm on my laptop, which sucks for a variety of reasons, and so I won't be offering my standard set of links. But looking through CesareB's post history, my summary is that it is positively scintillant.

He is clearly and deeply engaged throughout the game on both who we ought to vote out and who we ought to send on what missions. Historically, Cesare has been much less obviously engaged in games when he is mafia, and throughout this game he is constantly advocating for good ideas and picking at bad ideas in both realms.

If he is mafia, he has either just been doing good things for the village and hoping that would turn out okay for him (a real accomplishment in itself when one is mafia), or he has been a perfect chessmaster manipulating to an end he could not have foreseen.

This is not to say that he is definitely not mafia; his post history is merely one piece of our evidence, and his vote history is not nearly so good. But it is hard to imagine a better post history.

• Options
    How likely do we think it is that there are 4 mafia rather than 5? That balance will significantly affect our strategy, particularly whether we ought to kill two people in the suspicious group, or pick one form there and another from the rest.

• Options
    By the way, did anyone chat with Locus before he died? He died investigator...

• Options
    I didn't, Invictus. Sorry.

Putting a tentative on Cythraul. I have no idea what my schedule looks like for the rest of the day, and I don't want to hold things up if people reach a consensus.

• Options
    Urgh.

Just looked through T_A's post history, and as far as I can tell, the only interesting thing, from the perspective of whether he's a mafia, that he did all game was get on Baidol as early as anybody.

Well, does that exonerate T_A or indict him? Fuck if I know. You might think that it's a significant point in his favor, but Baidol also gave up on hiding pretty easily, in the end. So it's..probably? a reason to think T_A is not mafia. Unless I'm wrong.

• Options
    OminousLozengeOminousLozenge Registered User regular
    Mikey CTS wrote: »
    Baidol, actually. OL and CesareB I've never been sure of.

No kidding! That was actually what my hunch vote was based on - who else looks as bad as me at this point. Cesare's mission history is just as screwed as mine, which I would find very suspicious. I'm actually surprised I'm still around. Between that and the fact that ChezzyB is on the record as a strong anti-bandwagon guy, yet he's been very bandwagon-y this time, I figured he has to be the guy. Invictus has me rethinking that, which has me rethinking Invictus now, hmmmm.

Sometimes I have ideas for things.
  • Options
    Bliss 101Bliss 101 Registered User regular
    Been browsing the thread for leads we might have missed, but can't find anything beyond what I posted earlier today. My dunalist therefore consists of Cythraul and T_A, and the latter is based solely on the idea that Baidol might have covered for T_A's inactivity on the night they sabotaged the last mission.

OL is a mystery to me, although there is something ominous about him. CesareB is the least suspicious of the candidates, in my opinion, and given my track record that probably means he's mafia.

MSL59.jpg
  • Options
    I get that a lot. It must be the way I part my hair.

So far my contributions have been following mission orders and being right about Baidol before anyone else. And since he, premium, and INANTP all contacted me to try and get me to admit to criminal behavior, and they're all UCs, I still maintain that there is some kind of self-incrimination mechanic. When did I float that theory, and when did the arrests drop off? Zactly.

• Options
    I get that a lot. It must be the way I part my hair.

So far my contributions have been following mission orders and being right about Baidol before anyone else. And since he, premium, and INANTP all contacted me to try and get me to admit to criminal behavior, and they're all UCs, I still maintain that there is some kind of self-incrimination mechanic. When did I float that theory, and when did the arrests drop off? Zactly.

What did premium, INANTP, and Baidol ask you for, precisely?

And did they ask anyone else anything like it?

• Options
    RetabaRetaba A Cultist Registered User regular
    Cythraul is a vote I am ok with.

• Options
    Cythraul.

• Options
    I'm pretty sure INANTP asked everyone on day one. Baidol asked the shark food job people how we planned to do it, IW and I came up with a plan using typical bad mafioso double speak and innuendo. Baidol then asked, "So we're gonna kill a guy and feed him to the shark, right?" Premium asked me something like, "tonight's jobs are weird! Did you just sign up to feed someone to a shark?"

• Options
    Plane boarding. Going to be quiet for a few hours.

• Options
    I'm pretty sure INANTP asked everyone on day one. Baidol asked the shark food job people how we planned to do it, IW and I came up with a plan using typical bad mafioso double speak and innuendo. Baidol then asked, "So we're gonna kill a guy and feed him to the shark, right?" Premium asked me something like, "tonight's jobs are weird! Did you just sign up to feed someone to a shark?"

Hm. Can anyone else add anything like this? I had no interactions of this type.

• Options
    RetabaRetaba A Cultist Registered User regular
    RPing for the fun of it could of just been a thing caused INANTP?

• Options
    Welp, we're boned if I'm your vote, and I've got nothing else to offer for defense. Can't rightly figure out who the mafia here is, so well done you bastard :P

Steam
  • Options
    And since he, premium, and INANTP all contacted me to try and get me to admit to criminal behavior, and they're all UCs, I still maintain that there is some kind of self-incrimination mechanic.
    I love this idea.

There's just one problem...
    MrTLicious wrote: »
    The Hook (i.e. important information relating to this specific game).
    This game has two sides, with no neutral parties.
    19 players did not call me on my bullshit :D
    29 - 19 = 10. There are 11 players left, and 3 of the dead were mafia. Even if he futzed with the numbers a bit, they should have been able to execute more of us.

Of course, I didn't tell INANTP squat, so who knows. Could be!

• Options
    MrTLiciousMrTLicious Registered User regular
    1 hour until the game ends.

• Options
    Landed. Anything I need to do?