As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[The Resistance] The safe word is "Cylon"

weirdspaceshipsweirdspaceships i will eat your still-beating heartRegistered User regular
edited April 2013 in Critical Failures
The Resistance is a quick Mafia style card game where players are divided into two secret teams of Resistance (good guys) and Spies (bad guys). Instead of voting each other off, everyone stays on board the entire game. Players elect their team mates to go on missions, where the elected players secretly choose to help or hinder. You only have five missions before the game ends, and majority wins.

In Detail.

Players will receive a role in secret, denoting if they are Resistance or Spies. The Spies will know who each other are. Not so for the Resistance!

Each player takes a turn being the Leader. When you're the Leader, you get to send a number of your fellow players on the current mission. Each mission takes a different amount of players. The Resistance, when Leader, wants to send only fellow Resistance on the mission, whereas Spies want to send along at least one (and preferably more Spies, in larger games).

After the Leader has chosen candidates, everyone will vote in secret if they Approve or Reject this roster. You base this decision, of course, on whether or not you believe someone on the mission is a spy (or, if you're a spy, if you're bluffing, and want to get a spy on the mission.) Votes are then revealed. The majority wins, and ties count as a Reject.

If the vote was Rejected, the next player in turn becomes Leader, and the Vote Track goes up by 1. If the vote track gets to 5, then the game ends and the Spies win! There's just too much suspicion and paranoia to be a cohesive team.

However, if the vote passed, then the elected players go on a mission. On a mission, those players will secretly submit a vote of SUCCEED or FAIL. If even a single FAIL shows up, no matter how many people are on the mission, then the entire mission is a failure, and the Spies earn 1 victory. If there are no FAILS, victory goes to the Resistance. First to 3 wins!

Special Forum Rules.

Players can communicate openly in the thread, but they cannot communicate elsewhere. That means no secret Spy PMs or anything off the board. Spies will merely have to pay attention to what each other is saying, and drop subtle clues.

The turns go as such:
=When it's your turn as Leader, look at the current mission and see how many people are needed for it.
=Discuss it with the other players if you want, but then choose that many people to go on the team. You can declare this openly in the thread.
=Once that happens, everyone should then vote in secret: Approve or Reject. PM me your answer. After all votes are in, they will be revealed. People will know how you voted, and it's up to you to justify it, but nobody will know how anyone voted until all tallies are in.
=If the vote fails, the next person gets to be Leader, and we start over.
=If the vote passes, the elected players PM me whether they want the mission to SUCCEED or FAIL. Resistance members MUST select SUCCEED, here. Only Spies have the option to FAIL a mission.
=I repeat, if you are Resistance, you CANNOT vote for the mission to FAIL. You'd think it's common sense, but the people I've played this with have proven otherwise.
=Votes are revealed, but not attributed to people. You won't know how anyone voted, just what the votes were. Then we start over.

Turn order is as follows:

=BradicusMaximus
=blahmcblah
=Phyphor
=Cerberus
=Sir Fabulous
=vertroue
=Capfalcon
=mi-go hunter
=tzeentchling
=MegaMek

The Tableau

MISSION ONE: 3
MISSION TWO: 4
MISSION THREE: 4
MISSION FOUR: 5*
MISSION FIVE: 5

*requires two failures to fail

Vote Track: 0

weirdspaceships on

• Options
    tzeentchlingtzeentchling Doctor of Rocks OaklandRegistered User regular
    Vive la resistance!

I also encourage those just watching along last time to join up! The game plays up to 10.

• Options
    CapfalconCapfalcon Tunnel Snakes Rule Capital WastelandRegistered User regular
    edited March 2013
    I didn't lie a single time last game. That means you can trust me this game.

Capfalcon on
  • Options
    BradicusMaximusBradicusMaximus Pssssssssyyyyyyyy duckRegistered User regular
    I swear I'll be more active this game. I'm too poor to go on another vaction!

• Options
    vertrouevertroue I am Female Totes Not a SithRegistered User regular
    maybe this time?

Blood and Fire
    From the Desk of Darth Vertroue Diplomat to the USA.
  • Options
    MegaMekMegaMek Girls like girls. Registered User regular
    When the history of my glory is written, your species shall only be a footnote to my magnificence.

Is time a gift or punishment?
  • Options
    mi-go huntermi-go hunter Once again I'm back in the lab. Cleaning my knives, ready for stabs.Registered User regular
  • Options
    You got your system shock in my resistance

• Options
    You got your system shock in my resistance

Your flesh is an insult to the perfection of the digital.

• Options
    Your mother is an insult to my eyes

• Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    edited March 2013
    How fortuitous!

Phyphor on
  • Options
    blahmcblahblahmcblah You pick your side and you stick - you don't cut and run when things get ugly. Registered User regular
    Shit just got real, ya'll.

• Options
    CerberusCerberus Registered User regular
    edited March 2013

Cerberus on
  • Options
    weirdspaceshipsweirdspaceships i will eat your still-beating heart Registered User regular
    We're at nine, wow! We can hold one more, if someone out there is interested. I'll leave this open for just a bit longer.

• Options
    Sir FabulousSir Fabulous Malevolent Squid God Registered User regular
    I will show you the meaning of the word "fabulous"

pickup-sig.php?name=Orthanc

Switch Friend Code: SW-1406-1275-7906
  • Options
    weirdspaceshipsweirdspaceships i will eat your still-beating heart Registered User regular
    Awesome, looks like we're ready! We'll have six Resistance, and four Spies.

Now, notice the Tableau: mission four requires TWO failures in order to fail. Thus, spies, you'll need to get at least two spies on that mission, and at least two failures. That's the only one like it, though.

I'm randomizing the turn order and sending out roles.

• Options
    Okay, so here's how we'll do it. When you PM me your vote for the roster, format it as such:

Mission (whatever, one through five), Vote one: Approve or Reject.

and if you are actually on the mission and need to vote PASS or FAIL, format it as such:

Mission (whatever), Vote two: Pass or Fail.

Examples: Mission 2, Vote 1: Reject.
    Mission 3, Vote 2: Pass.

This just helps me keep things organized, with so many PMs!

= = =

So let's get started. First mission, and @BradicusMaximus, you're up first! Elect a team of three.

From now on, starting with Bradicus, when you are Team Leader and you're telling me who you're voting for, please put it in lime and start it with !final, so I can distinguish planning and table talk with what you've actually decided. So, for example:

!final BradicusMaximus, blahmcblah, Phyphor

Thank you guys! Bradicus, make your choice.

• Options
    CerberusCerberus Registered User regular
    I'm game to go on mission one

• Options
    TayrunTayrun Registered User regular
    Best thread title is best and also a thread title.

• Options
    O pick the sith! You will pick the sith.

Blood and Fire
  • Options
    I will not mess any missions up.

• Options
    mi-go huntermi-go hunter Once again I'm back in the lab. Cleaning my knives, ready for stabs.Registered User regular
  • Options
    I promise to never fail a mission.

• Options
    This is a face you can trust!

• Options
    blahmcblahblahmcblah You pick your side and you stick - you don't cut and run when things get ugly. Registered User regular
    I promise to never fail a mission.

I don't even have to make that promise because I literally can't fail a mission.

• Options
    I promise to not be a spy this time guys!

• Options
    riiight and I am a monkeys uncle.....swinging di....umm and all?

Blood and Fire
  • Options
    Wait wait wait.

Let's all make a pact.

If you're a spy don't look in here.
    Now we can talk in private.

• Options
    Blah makes a pretty good argument. Also, can I really afford to take Cthulhu on this mission without the rest of the crew going mad? I'm not sure I can take that chance.

• Options
    So therefor let the sith go!

Blood and Fire
  • Options
    I'm not sure if theres place for hokey religions on this mission either :P

• Options
    I was not asking. You will take me on this mission.
    waves hands around and looks stupid

Blood and Fire
  • Options
    I think the better question is, can you afford to have Cthulhu be left behind and make everyone else insane?

• Options
    I'm obviously the best to go on this mission because I have a face you can trust.

<---

• Options
    coughcoughoneonlyamothercouldlovecough

Blood and Fire
  • Options
    It is a pretty terrifying face. I do feel bad that cap didn't get to participate in any missions last game though.

• Options
    vertroue wrote: »

How would you know! You're blind!

• Options
    Even mothers might draw the line there! But really, how can you go wrong with picking SCIENCE?

• Options
    Capfalcon wrote: »
    vertroue wrote: »

How would you know! You're blind!

AHHAHAHAHHA So you think! I only wear this to confuse you silly Mouth.
    Sooo you found me out. crap.

Blood and Fire
  • Options
    C'mon Bradicus, I'm the only attractive female here :ignores vertroue and blah:

pickmepickmepickmepickme

• Options
    Really mimi? You can go n shove it.

Blood and Fire