As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Lego City Undercover: The Story of Frank Honey, Waffles, and Building an Investigation!

Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley...Registered User regular
edited April 2013 in Games and Technology
LegoCityUndercoverlogo_zps2e1a463a.jpg

This is Lego City, filled with crime which the world has never seen. Fortunately, you play the role of Chase McCain, an undercover cop who's sole purpose is to end the criminal menace once and for all!
Lego City Undercover is an upcoming sandbox-style action-adventure video game, currently in development by TT Fusion, a division of TT Games, that will be released on the Wii U on March 18th 2013 in North America and on March 28th 2013 in Europe. A prequel is also in development for the Nintendo 3DS. Unlike previous Lego titles developed by TT Games, which have been based on various licenses, the game is based on the Lego City brand and is a first Lego game to be published by Nintendo rather than an independent publisher such as WB Games or LucasArts.

Chase has various moves at his disposal, such as swinging across poles and performing wall jumps. He can also gain disguises that give him additional abilities, such as a robber disguise that lets him break locks. Chase can also pilot vehicles such as cars and helicopters and use loose bricks to build various objects. The Wii U GamePad also has various uses, such as a scanner to locate criminals.
Gameplay borrows many elements from the Grand Theft Auto series, however is role-reversed with the player taking on the role of a police officer enforcing the law, rather than a criminal committing crime. The game also includes references to notable Nintendo intellectual properties, such as having the ability to build a Lego warp pipe, and using it to warp similarly to the Super Mario universe warp pipes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lego_City_Undercover

8U4x7mK_zps9be6f337.png

Meet the hero:

lego-city-undercover-chase-mccain-artwork_zps4ebe8716.jpg
Chase McCain

Meet the love interest:

364px-Natalia_amp_Chase_McCain_zps35111a58.jpg
Natalia Kowalski

Meet the Chief:

164px-Marion_Dunby_zps3f85a154.png
Marion Dunby Chief of Police

Boxart:

images_zpse2f465ca.jpg

Trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bE2sSO3YV5g

"WAFFLES!"

And last but definitely not least.....there's this:

lego_city_undercover_dinosaur_zpsc31c6185.jpg

Catching criminals while riding a T-Rex!

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
PSN - Brainiac_8
Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
Add me!
Brainiac 8 on

• Options
    edzeppedzepp Registered User regular
    Huzzah!

Now who has a review copy? Spill your secrets!

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    March 18th?

A Monday?

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    is this the spiritual sequel to Lego Island I've been waiting for for years?
    with proper Lego-based gameplay?

Or is it just like every other sandbox driving game but reskinned with Lego, like all the other Lego games so far have been?

• Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    is this the spiritual sequel to Lego Island I've been waiting for for years?
    with proper Lego-based gameplay?

Or is it just like every other sandbox driving game but reskinned with Lego, like all the other Lego games so far have been?

It's yet another iteration of the Lego crossover games, except not a crossover. I assume it's basically like Lego Batman 2 except even better.

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    so in other words, it is in fact just a reskinned Lego version of a different type of game and offers little to no Lego-based gameplay whatsoever

I don't know why they keep bothering.

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    so in other words, it is in fact just a reskinned Lego version of a different type of game and offers little to no Lego-based gameplay whatsoever

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zcrppevM46Q

• Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    It's basically Lego GTA with an original story, no license to hold it back, and a pretty silly sense of humor.

Plus dinosaurs...that you can ride!

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    I posted my preview earlier, based on what I played at the preview event last week.

I guess it's only fair to warn you guys: The last LEGO game I played was LEGO Star Wars (unless you count the demo of LEGO Indiana Jones, which I didn't care for).

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
  • Options
    pirateluigipirateluigi Arr, it be me. Registered User regular
    Is it 3/18 yet? I've already requested next week off of work, not kidding.
    From what I've heard, I'll need those extra days just to deal with the load times. :P

http://www.danreviewstheworld.com
    Nintendo Network ID - PirateLuigi 3DS: 3136-6586-7691
    G&T Grass Type Pokemon Gym Leader, In-Game Name: Dan
  • Options
    Haha! It was a ruse the whole time! The game is 90% loading screens.

• Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    I'm excited for this but not quite enough to jump the gun on reading some full reviews before I order.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    I'm betting we'd get more traffic if you took out the WiiU portion in the thread title. That way we could get everyone's hopes up that it's coming out for the console they own, then crush them hard.

I'm a bit of a dick aren't I?

• Options
    Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular

Companies like products that print money.
    urahonky wrote: »
    I'm betting we'd get more traffic if you took out the WiiU portion in the thread title. That way we could get everyone's hopes up that it's coming out for the console they own, then crush them hard.

I'm a bit of a dick aren't I?

Yes. Yes you are. But not for this idea. I support this idea.

Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • Options
    Do that in the Bayonetta 2 thread, maybe.

Thread title: [Bayonetta 2] now also releasing on other consoles!

First line of OP: lol j/k

I am not even remotely serious.

• Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    I wonder how much of the mediocre reviews are legit issues and how many are simply that the Lego game formula is starting to get a bit stale. I don't mind some load times as long as they aren't super frequent, but I can't deny that after fighting pirates, casting spells, using the force, flying like a bird or plane, and swinging through through temples of doom I'm starting to feel a bit like the Lego games need to slow down or do something new. I'm hoping the vehicles in this one would be new enough to break the mold a bit.

• Options
    DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    Instead of Lego GTA they should have tried to make it Lego Red Faction. I'd love to plow into a lego building in a lego truck to see bits of lego fly everywhere! Even so this game looks pretty damn fun.

• Options
    edited March 2013
    I wonder how much of the mediocre reviews are legit issues and how many are simply that the Lego game formula is starting to get a bit stale. I don't mind some load times as long as they aren't super frequent, but I can't deny that after fighting pirates, casting spells, using the force, flying like a bird or plane, and swinging through through temples of doom I'm starting to feel a bit like the Lego games need to slow down or do something new. I'm hoping the vehicles in this one would be new enough to break the mold a bit.

My understanding is that there are 2 reviews. One is a 8/10, the other is 5/10. One is the historically standard lego game review score. The other is a score not normally associated with home console Lego reviews.

Draw conclusions as you will.

Capt Howdy on
  • Options
    Removed the WiiU out of the title. I'm all for crushing dreams. :P

Seriously though the game looks pretty fun, and with Target's upcoming B2G1 deal, you have no reason not to get it.

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Thanks for the thread Brainiac! Can't wait for this.

Also can't wait for the 3DS prequel next month.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    ZephiranZephiran Registered User regular
    I gotta say, I dig the rhyme.

;-)

Alright and in this next scene all the animals have AIDS.

I got a little excited when I saw your ship.
  • Options
    IzzimachIzzimach Fighter/Mage/Chef Registered User regular
    Cool, another Lego game, my kids love these! So the WiiU version comes out on March 18th which means the XBox version should come out... er...

Dammit, Honky.

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    Sweet delicious schadenfreude.

• Options
    Izzimach wrote: »
    Cool, another Lego game, my kids love these! So the WiiU version comes out on March 18th which means the XBox version should come out... er...

Dammit, Honky.

Your tears, they are delicious.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    H*RH*R Registered User regular
    I've bought this game. Unfortunatly I ordered it through Best Buy when they did their BOGO50%off deal. This means I probably won't be getting it until later in the week. With LEGO City, Sonic Racing and Xenoblade Chronicles to keep me occupied, I think I'll be set for awhile.

Nintendo Network: WarrenMSP
    3DS: 4184-2362-9697
    PSN: Skywarrd
  • Options
    H*R wrote: »
    I've bought this game. Unfortunatly I ordered it through Best Buy when they did their BOGO50%off deal. This means I probably won't be getting it until later in the week. With LEGO City, Sonic Racing and Xenoblade Chronicles to keep me occupied, I think I'll be set for awhile.

Lego City doesn't come out until next week. Unless I'm reading this wrong.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    H*RH*R Registered User regular
    What I mean is, Best Buy won't ship it until release day. Therefore I won't get it until later in the week.

Nintendo Network: WarrenMSP
    3DS: 4184-2362-9697
    PSN: Skywarrd
  • Options
    H*R wrote: »
    What I mean is, Best Buy won't ship it until release day. Therefore I won't get it until later in the week.

OK, that makes sense then. I feel for you. Amazon doesn't have released date delivery and apparently there might be a shipment delay.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    edzepp wrote: »
    Will you have a review soon?

All I'm saying is that the embargo is up on Thursday, and I hope to be timely. Any greater commitment seems to jinx me.

The following comes from the Wii U thread, but I'm posting it here for obvious reasons:
    But once you're actually in the missions, it's mostly smooth-sailing, right? Hopefully they can do something about those load times. That does sound like an issue.

In missions, or even just in the city. There might be an odd instance of something happening during one, like a cutscene, that I'm not remembering. But besides that, it's been smooth sailing thus far.
    Capt Howdy wrote: »
    Starting to think some of you have never played a lego game. Even Lego Batman 2 had a small map, still felt large flying around it as Superman. Most missions take place in areas you don't see on the map as well.

I said it here or elsewhere: The last one I played is LEGO Star Wars, the first one they came out with, and from what I remember, that was fairly linear.

The city here feels plenty big to me, but I've never really played any sandbox games very extensively, so I can't really say what "big" is.
    Well, in the Eurogamer preview, it was implied that this is the B-team's 'Hitting the big time' game, as it were. And if I read it correctly, they don't really think of it as 'Lego GTA'.

No more than Hit & Run was "The Simpsons GTA," I suppose. Actually, that might be more so, since here you actually have the authority to take someone's vehicle.

And I don't think I've seen any guns or firearms so far, for what it's worth, barring a grappling gun.
    I still really wish that Eurogamer hadn't gone with that 'Saving the Wii U' angle in that preview. This game obviously won't live up to that kind of expectation.

I would honestly be surprised if it did. It's a very good, very solid, very fun game, but at the same time, I can say the same for NSMBU and Nintendo Land, and I don't see LEGO being a system seller. If it is, it's only in the "part of a library of great games" way.

...unless you're a LEGO Maniac. That might change one's perception.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    I would honestly be surprised if it did. It's a very good, very solid, very fun game, but at the same time, I can say the same for NSMBU and Nintendo Land, and I don't see LEGO being a system seller. If it is, it's only in the "part of a library of great games" way.

Finally... a game for him

mqdefault.jpg

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    Not mentioning that this game is Wii-U only in the thread's title should be some sort of crime.

That said, I've been really disappointed in LEGO's offerings recently. It seems like not only are they not taking advantage of the whole LEGO thing in their games, but they're actually removing the LEGO element in their most recent releases. @Dissociater was fucking spot on when they mentioned the whole Red Faction deal. A LEGO GTA in a city actually made out of bricks that you could smash apart with car crashes and explosions? All my money. Absolutely all of my money would go to that game.

BloodySloth on
  • Options
    Will you have a review soon?

All I'm saying is that the embargo is up on Thursday, and I hope to be timely. Any greater commitment seems to jinx me.

The following comes from the Wii U thread, but I'm posting it here for obvious reasons:
    But once you're actually in the missions, it's mostly smooth-sailing, right? Hopefully they can do something about those load times. That does sound like an issue.

In missions, or even just in the city. There might be an odd instance of something happening during one, like a cutscene, that I'm not remembering. But besides that, it's been smooth sailing thus far.
    Capt Howdy wrote: »
    Starting to think some of you have never played a lego game. Even Lego Batman 2 had a small map, still felt large flying around it as Superman. Most missions take place in areas you don't see on the map as well.

I said it here or elsewhere: The last one I played is LEGO Star Wars, the first one they came out with, and from what I remember, that was fairly linear.

The city here feels plenty big to me, but I've never really played any sandbox games very extensively, so I can't really say what "big" is.
    Well, in the Eurogamer preview, it was implied that this is the B-team's 'Hitting the big time' game, as it were. And if I read it correctly, they don't really think of it as 'Lego GTA'.

No more than Hit & Run was "The Simpsons GTA," I suppose. Actually, that might be more so, since here you actually have the authority to take someone's vehicle.

And I don't think I've seen any guns or firearms so far, for what it's worth, barring a grappling gun.
    I still really wish that Eurogamer hadn't gone with that 'Saving the Wii U' angle in that preview. This game obviously won't live up to that kind of expectation.

The developers said they found the GTA tag odd, especially since there are no firearms in the game. The only thing that is GTA like, according to them, is the sandbox design and vehicles.

You should try Lego Batman 2, LBD. Nice open world to play in, and its the best Superman game the industry has ever seen.

• Options
    MalReynoldsMalReynolds The Hunter S Thompson of incredibly mild medicines Registered User regular
    *huff huff huff*

I got here as fast as I could

*huff huff*

I'm not good at running

*huff huff*

Man, I love Lego -

*huff*

WiiU only?

*falls over, dies in pool of sweat-blood*

"A new take on the epic fantasy genre... Darkly comic, relatable characters... twisted storyline."
    "Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor
    My new novel: Maledictions: The Offering. Now in Paperback!
  • Options
    MblackwellMblackwell Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    Just get this:
    http://www.gamestop.com/wii-u/consoles/nintendo-wii-u-32gb-zombiu-deluxe-set-black/107750

It's basically more than $90 less than retail if you bought everything separately (basic + games and controller), and $70 if you'd purchased the Deluxe set anyway... PLUS since Nintendo Land is a digital copy it's covered by the Deluxe Digital Promotion and you'll get a $5 store credit.

And it's STILL cheaper than the expected price of the Playstation 4. You know you want it. Especially since Target is having a Buy 2 Get 1 sale the same week LEGO comes out...

Mblackwell on
    Music: The Rejected Applications | Nintendo Network ID: Mblackwell

• Options
    Man, now we're killing people. Maybe this wasn't a great idea. :P

• Options
    The world shall be littered with the bodies of the unworthy, all for Brainiac's amusement.

• Options
    Muahahahaha!

So long and thanks for all the fish!

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    Man, now we're killing people. Maybe this wasn't a great idea. :P

NO, it's the best idea.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA