As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[God of War: Ascension] Interactive Deicide Simulator

• Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    IRRC correctly, all the GOW was like that though.

Biggest example is that fucking spinning wall climb towards the end of GoW 1, that took me damn near 2 hours to get pass.

Casually Hardcore on
  • Options
    IndoorsmanIndoorsman Registered User regular
    I'd forgotten about that! *shudder*

• Options
    WydrionWydrion Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    There's a ciphered code in the game that people over at NeoGAF cracked only twelve hours after the game was released... so not all that hard to crack. They actually did it by just changing the in-game language, which also changed the cipher, which clued them in that it was single letter replacement.

Here's hoping this opens up an interesting ARG of somesort. I think I speak for everyone when I say that a Vita GOW is not what fans want this to be.

Edit: Here's the thread:
    http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=522813

Wydrion on
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Everyone?

Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    The last time they did this it was for a PSP game.

So yeah, I'm sure it'll be for a Vita game.

• Options
    edited March 2013
    Everyone?

I think the general consensus is that everyone's pretty over Kratos, despite them trying to retcon as much backstory as possible. GoW fans have been asking for a change of scenery for a long time now. Them making a new God of War on an unpopular handheld system is basically the least palatable thing they could do at this point.

Let me guess, Kratos had a sister! We neglected to show her until now but she's super important and whose story will wrap up nicely in one spinoff game. It also explains how two dimensional we made Kratos look in the first three games, because he totally lost all his humanity due to all the fucked up things he had to go through that we never mentioned.

Wydrion on
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    Wydrion wrote: »
    There's a ciphered code in the game that people over at NeoGAF cracked only twelve hours after the game was released... so not all that hard to crack. They actually did it by just changing the in-game language, which also changed the cipher, which clued them in that it was single letter replacement.

Here's hoping this opens up an interesting ARG of somesort. I think I speak for everyone when I say that a Vita GOW is not what fans want this to be.

Edit: Here's the thread:
    http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=522813

You don't. GoW Vita would be awesome.

Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    And I assume you'd be perfectly fine with it playing exactly like the last five games. That's cool, I'm glad I got a good taste of who's inhabiting this thread early before this got constructive.

Maybe they'll have good character development like Deimos did, where
    he beat you within an inch of your life, and then you grabbed him from falling off a cliff and he brofists you and you pretend nothing ever happened just in time for the final boss.

That'd be so awesome.

• Options
    VorpalVorpal Registered User regular
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    Well... This is a prequel. Of course you're not going to be out murdering any major pantheons.

I don't have a problem with them de-escalating things a bit. Honestly, the level of deicide that occurred in GoW3 bordered on ridiculous.

The two other prequels are some of the best in series.

There are plenty of other Pantheons waiting for Kratos' attention.

steam_sig.png
    PSN: Vorpallion Twitch: Vorpallion
  • Options
    And let me just explain why I personally wouldn't want to see a Vita GoW -

I (and I've insinuated the grand majority of people) want to see the story progress. We were iffy on a prequel to begin with. Would you be satisfied with a portable game continuing the story of God of War after the end of 3? I think most people would prefer 'important' entries to be on the most powerful system available. By important, I mean, you can pretend the events of Chains of Olympus and Ghost of Sparta never happened, because plot-wise, they didn't even have to.

God of War 1-3 are a trilogy and the rest is basically filler. Pretty, often very fun filler, but filler nonetheless. I enjoyed Ghost of Sparta as much as anyone, but they were basically forcing a character upon us that we knew only existed for the sake of that game. If Ghost of Sparta didn't exist, Deimos's role in the story of God of War is absolutely superfluous.

• Options
    No one was exactly screaming for a new GoW on the PS4 after 3 and they made one anyways.

Pretty sure it was the same thing. After 3 almost everyone agreed that Kratos was starting to get played out and they needed to really change up the gameplay somehow.

• Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    I was ready to let the God of War games die with GoW3.

Am I looking forward to playing Ascension? YES!. But not because I give a rip about the story. I just like murderin' minotaurs and solving overly large gear&chain puzzles.

Santa Monica Studio needs to lay Kratos to rest and create a brand new IP for the PS4 and Vita that has a similar action style, but a completely different world, with new enemies, new aesthetics, and new stories.

They need to give us our first sci-fi hack'n'slash action game.

• Options
    VorpalVorpal Registered User regular
    I would be content to see the end of Kratos.

Instead, we can have a Roman Kratos slaughtering his way through the Roman Pantheon for a game or two. And fighting in the coliseum.

Then introduce an Egyptian Kratos slaughtering his way through the Egyption Pantheon. Then he goes to space and fights the go'ald. Or participates in chariot races.

Then we can have a new Viking Kratos slaughtering his way through the Norse Pantheon for a couple games. Introduce naval combat and boarding actions.

steam_sig.png
    PSN: Vorpallion Twitch: Vorpallion
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular

Am I looking forward to playing Ascension? YES!. But not because I give a rip about the story. I just like murderin' minotaurs and solving overly large gear&chain puzzles.

Santa Monica Studio needs to lay Kratos to rest and create a brand new IP for the PS4 and Vita that has a similar action style, but a completely different world, with new enemies, new aesthetics, and new stories.

Nord of War. Basically GoW, but with Norse gods. Starring some viking named Gaar or Leif or something.

Or better yet, a Valkyrie that was betrayed in some elaborate plot by Loki to kill Thor and the rest of the gods. I'm waiting for a phone call from Santa Monica begging me to come work with them now.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    I still think a game set in Egypt with a younger hero who gets/has blue tattoos (to thematically make him a parallel to Kratos) and discovers the Blades of Chaos would be perfect. With PS4 and new physics, you'd have Journey-level sand fidelity and the pyramids are just video game dungeon gold. You have a pantheon of gods to kill including a God of War, and they could even shake up the combat to make the hero play differently. (maybe he isn't eight feet tall with a hundred added pounds of corded muscle, so he controls the blades with magic or some shit.)

The only thing holding this back is that aesthetically, killing gods who have animal heads wouldn't make us feel as gross about it, so they'd probably have to do something more to humanize them.

And then they have an entire series of games to make fun cameos and references to, and shit, they could pull a time-travel twist like in God of War 2 and have you travel back to God of War 3 and drag his ass off the cliff to a doctor or something.

edit: I also accept any of the above ideas, basically anywhere but Greece.

Wydrion on
  • Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    Man, what are with the trailers for this game. The tone they go for is not what godof war is about at all.

• Options
    And I assume you'd be perfectly fine with it playing exactly like the last five games. That's cool, I'm glad I got a good taste of who's inhabiting this thread early before this got constructive.

Maybe they'll have good character development like Deimos did, where
    he beat you within an inch of your life, and then you grabbed him from falling off a cliff and he brofists you and you pretend nothing ever happened just in time for the final boss.

That'd be so awesome.

What the fuck? First off, "before this got constructive?" What a weird thing to say when you're directly following it with childish dismissals and a presumption that you represent the majority of God of War fans. Second, I know you're trying to go on the condescension offensive but you probably should have done a better job getting a "taste" of the thread first because that was pretty fucking weak. If you're playing God of War for the story, you're doing it wrong.

But if you really want to get into the story, let's go. Chains of Olympus was not inconsequential at all, as the events within it had direct consequences in both GoW2 and GoW3. While Deimos was established way back in GoW1, so Ghost of Sparta was actually paying off on a tease we'd received 5 years beforehand.

Now, were these games as important as the console installments? No. But that doesn't mean that they were inconsequential OR that they were bad games, so to dismiss them or come up with stupid arguments like "durr hurr retcon a sister in" is fucking ridiculous.

And if you're going to refer to the Vita as an "unpopular handheld system" then surely you must realise that it is in Sony's interest (and thus, Sony Santa Monica's) to actually put these kind of fucking games on it, right?

They're not getting rid of Kratos. He's an iconic character and they'd be stupid to get rid of him. The more likely way forward for the franchise is that they'll finally go with Jaffe's original idea and take Kratos to other mythologies.

As for a new IP, well they've been working on one for a while now. Sony Santa Monica have two main dev teams now.

• Options
    edited March 2013
    Well, I mean, they kind of backed themselves into a corner with the ending of GoW3.

I can see the story going two ways, if they decide to give us a GoW4. This is just speculation here.

Option 1:
    I call it "The Dramatic B Movie Interpretation"
    Kratos, near to death, evaluates his life and then dramatically shouts
    "I want to LIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIVE"

And so he does. Because his force of will is that strong.

Option 2:
    I call it "The Circle Continues"
    Kratos, near to death, is approached by the god of another pantheon outside of Greek mythology and offers to save Kratos in exchange for loyalty/servitude/a favor.

Kratos takes this offer, betrays the god, and begins a new quest to murder an entirely different mythology just because he can.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    The combat in this seems different somehow. I can't quite put my finger on what the difference is, but the flow seems different from other games.

Also, what do the different color indicators on the enemy's heads mean? Like the gold flashy or the red flashy. I'm sure they're telling me I can use a specific move or finisher in that situation, but I'm not really sure what that would be. I just keep on hacking until they die.

In previous games when they gave you an opportunity for a finisher they'd put a button icon over the enemy's head.

• Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    Maybe one means Finish Me! And the other means Imma 'bout to attack.

• Options
    Alucard6986Alucard6986 xbox: Ubeltanzer swtor: UbelRegistered User regular
    So, ascension....

Kinda some weird design choices

--the whole fighting a bunch of guys so far zoomed out that you can't see anything is happening way too often.
    --most of the magic abilities seem to come at the tail end up upgrade progression for each element that you apply to the blades. Fire is the only one that has magic unlocked immediately, the rest you have to max out first.
    --game is inconsistent about telegraphing what button you're supposed to press vs just expecting you to know you're supposed to press something with no prompt. Do the wrong one and you're dead.
    --ran into a nasty glitch with the camera after you get the time item.
    --story seems extremely light barely any dialogue. Kratos stays pretty quiet for very long stretches.

Feeling pretty frustrated with it, mostly.

PSN: Ubeltanzer Blizzard: Ubel#1258
  • Options
    Well, I mean, they kind of backed themselves into a corner with the ending of GoW3.

I can see the story going two ways, if they decide to give us a GoW4. This is just speculation here.

Option 1:
    I call it "The Dramatic B Movie Interpretation"
    Kratos, near to death, evaluates his life and then dramatically shouts
    "I want to LIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIVE"

And so he does. Because his force of will is that strong.

Option 2:
    I call it "The Circle Continues"
    Kratos, near to death, is approached by the god of another pantheon outside of Greek mythology and offers to save Kratos in exchange for loyalty/servitude/a favor.

Kratos takes this offer, betrays the god, and begins a new quest to murder an entirely different mythology just because he can.

I'd be fine with either option to be honest, though the second is probably more likely than the super melodramatic first one (though it does sound funny).

Here's my Option 3:
    The game starts off with Kratos once again crawling his way back out of Hades and realising that nothing he can do is going to actually work. So he starts looking for something that will and it leads him into invading another mythology.

The one thing that I think should end the series (before it's retired or, more likely, rebooted) is an implementation of the last GoW1 teaser. The modern day one.
    The combat in this seems different somehow. I can't quite put my finger on what the difference is, but the flow seems different from other games.

Also, what do the different color indicators on the enemy's heads mean? Like the gold flashy or the red flashy. I'm sure they're telling me I can use a specific move or finisher in that situation, but I'm not really sure what that would be. I just keep on hacking until they die.

In previous games when they gave you an opportunity for a finisher they'd put a button icon over the enemy's head.

Yeah, they've made a lot of changes to the gameplay. Putting grapple on R1 and making it a ranged move alone is a big improvement IMO, while the removal of some of the button prompts and some of the more fitting QTEs are smart refinements. I'm not sure what the colours mean though, an icon definitely appears over enemies heads when you can kill them but I can't remember any colours. Viskod might have the right idea, though another one might be that you get one colour when you can do a grapple attack and another when you can actually kill them.

My copy arrives tomorrow, so I'm looking forward to it.

• Options
    I don't see how the modern day one will work. I'm fairly certain they only put that in there in the case that the game wasn't a critical success, they talked about it during a behind the scenes clip in 2 or 3. Kratos might tear people up, but he'd probably die like anyone else if someone shot him.

Also, was not trying to be a goose, I just really think the God of War franchise can do much better than just pumping out Kratos Tales every other year. He is iconic, but to have a Greek guy rampaging through other pantheons seems like butter spread over too much toast.

Not to mention that every single game has had a different director with widely different interpretations of where they think the story should go, with probably the most carebear and divisive ending being Stig Asmussen's GoW3. If they were to create a new character to send through a new story, they could actually plan out his quest with a much bigger picture in mind, which Kratos did not have the luxury of, which is what brings us to all his tacked-on adventures.

I put in the game for a little while tonight and checked out the multiplayer and honestly, it's a lot deeper than I thought it would be with all the gear unlocks and leveling up the different gods. Once I finish with Heart of the Swarm I'll probably sit down and grind out the single player.

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Just need to see Kratos vs. Thor before they finish with that particular character

I wonder how well this will sell? It doesn't seem to be hyped up that much

• Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited March 2013
    It's not so much that it hasn't been hyped, I just wonder how many others feel similar to some sentiment in this thread where it's like "Still in greek mythology huh? Who cares" sort of thing. Gears of War Judgement is kind of getting the same feeling for me, where a lot of people I have spoken to are all "Meh, who cares". I guess if you're going to do something, you should go the full on reboot concept like Tomb Raider or try to go forwards with your franchise.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    So Rebel FM mentioned that the section the demo is pulled from is halfway through the game. And that said section still has all the tutorial code in, so you're effectively playing a tutorial midway through.

Can anyone confirm?

• Options
    I only played the first boss battle last night, which isn't much. I spent most of my time with Heart of the Swarm.

• Options
    Kyougu wrote: »
    So Rebel FM mentioned that the section the demo is pulled from is halfway through the game. And that said section still has all the tutorial code in, so you're effectively playing a tutorial midway through.

Can anyone confirm?

They left in demo tutorial material in Lords of Shadow: Mirror of Fate.

You're 75% of the way through the game and suddenly it stops a boss fight to remind you to double jump and to roll out of the way of attacks.

It made me facepalm.

• Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    Vorpal wrote: »
    I would be content to see the end of Kratos.

Instead, we can have a Roman Kratos slaughtering his way through the Roman Pantheon for a game or two. And fighting in the coliseum.

Then introduce an Egyptian Kratos slaughtering his way through the Egyption Pantheon. Then he goes to space and fights the go'ald. Or participates in chariot races.

Then we can have a new Viking Kratos slaughtering his way through the Norse Pantheon for a couple games. Introduce naval combat and boarding actions.

So you basically want a SCION game run by a 12 years old story teller? I can get behind that.

• Options
    VaeVae Registered User regular
    Has anyone checked out the multi player? I picked up the game yesterday but haven't had a chance to play it yet.

• Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    Aegeri wrote: »
    It's not so much that it hasn't been hyped, I just wonder how many others feel similar to some sentiment in this thread where it's like "Still in greek mythology huh? Who cares" sort of thing. Gears of War Judgement is kind of getting the same feeling for me, where a lot of people I have spoken to are all "Meh, who cares". I guess if you're going to do something, you should go the full on reboot concept like Tomb Raider or try to go forwards with your franchise.

franchise fatigue is definitely as issue with a lot of games these days. this and judgement both feel like stopgap releases before the new consoles come out, with nothing really new being brought to the table. its just hard to get worked up about that kind of thing, even if its competently made.

• Options
    RizziRizzi Sydney, Australia.Registered User regular
    So here's an interesting problem.
    I've got a pair of the Sony branded wireless headphones. They work perfectly for everything except for this. They give off a horrible loud hissing sound as soon as I try and play this.

• Options
    edited March 2013
    Yeah, there's a huge problem with the audio right now in the game, their official forums are littered with threads. My entire game sounds muffled and muted, I went into the audio settings and switched the outputs to no avail. I feel like I'm fighting these bosses with the most subdued soundtrack ever recorded.

I might end up putting this aside until they patch out all the issues it's having, including this one. Really disappointing considering GoW3 was perfect on day 1.

Alternate explanation: Kratos has tinnitis.

Wydrion on
  • Options
    HA! No

I had a game-breaking bug in God of War III

One that literally forced me to start the entire game over, even though I was halfway through

• Options
    HA! No

I had a game-breaking bug in God of War III

One that literally forced me to start the entire game over, even though I was halfway through

Huh, that's weird. Do you remember what it was? I googled and one was a guy's PS3's fault, but I'm not discounting the fact that there could have been or probably still are glitches in GoW3.

But the audio being globally out of sync or next to nonexistant after patches 1.01 and 1.02 is pretty bad too, as in how could that have possibly been missed in QA.

• Options
    Yeah, there was a puzzle where one of the judges is supposed to let go of the chain

Instead the camera zoomed in on the chain but the judge never let go, the camera just froze there

It was unavoidable from that save, I had to start over again and pray it didn't happen the second time

I wasn't alone in it, the official forums at the time had a few other people with the same problem

• Options
    I don't see how the modern day one will work. I'm fairly certain they only put that in there in the case that the game wasn't a critical success, they talked about it during a behind the scenes clip in 2 or 3. Kratos might tear people up, but he'd probably die like anyone else if someone shot him.

Also, was not trying to be a goose, I just really think the God of War franchise can do much better than just pumping out Kratos Tales every other year. He is iconic, but to have a Greek guy rampaging through other pantheons seems like butter spread over too much toast.

Not to mention that every single game has had a different director with widely different interpretations of where they think the story should go, with probably the most carebear and divisive ending being Stig Asmussen's GoW3. If they were to create a new character to send through a new story, they could actually plan out his quest with a much bigger picture in mind, which Kratos did not have the luxury of, which is what brings us to all his tacked-on adventures.

I put in the game for a little while tonight and checked out the multiplayer and honestly, it's a lot deeper than I thought it would be with all the gear unlocks and leveling up the different gods. Once I finish with Heart of the Swarm I'll probably sit down and grind out the single player.

Kratos' story was laid out though, Kratos was going to kill Zeus at the beginning of GoW3 and that would lead to a number of different pantheons trying to move in on Greece. It just turned out that Jaffe and Barlog left, while others (including Stig) had different ideas.

Would I like the series to move forward? Sure, but I'm not going to get angry over the occasional prequel, so long as they're still good games in their own right. Maybe people that only got into the series through the HD Collections feel differently but Ascension is only the second GoW game on the PS3, so I find it hard to see how it's been milked. And if that teaser is hinting at the inevitable Vita installment, well it points directly to the involvement of Persian gods (specifically Mithras), so I'm still not sure what you were ranting about. I realise that it probably won't move the series forward in a serious way but it can still deliver a different (and good) experience.

As for the modern day one, well it'd work by making it work. They'd obviously need to make changes to the gameplay but in terms of framing it to make sense, why exactly would he die like anyone else if someone shot him? Arrows and swords certainly kill people but you don't see them do much more than take a chunk off his life bar. And that's assuming he's no longer a god at that point.

My copy has arrived but I've been too distracted to do anything but the initial patching, online pass and downloading the SE bonuses. I'll start it up tonight and should get through it in a day or two.

Speaking of SE bonuses, I'm once again reminded why I rarely buy music online. Fucking 256kbps. I don't demand lossless but 320kbps would be a bit nicer.

• Options
    RizziRizzi Sydney, Australia.Registered User regular
    Yeah, there's a huge problem with the audio right now in the game, their official forums are littered with threads. My entire game sounds muffled and muted, I went into the audio settings and switched the outputs to no avail. I feel like I'm fighting these bosses with the most subdued soundtrack ever recorded.

I might end up putting this aside until they patch out all the issues it's having, including this one. Really disappointing considering GoW3 was perfect on day 1.

Alternate explanation: Kratos has tinnitis.

There's also a few weird graphical bugs that I've run into so far.

• Options
    BadwrongBadwrong TokyoRegistered User regular
    So, ascensi

Steam: Badwrong || Xbox: Duncan Dohnuts || PSN: Buc_wild

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Options
    BadwrongBadwrong TokyoRegistered User regular
    So, ascension....

Kinda some weird design choices

--the whole fighting a bunch of guys so far zoomed out that you can't see anything is happening way too often.
    --most of the magic abilities seem to come at the tail end up upgrade progression for each element that you apply to the blades. Fire is the only one that has magic unlocked immediately, the rest you have to max out first.
    --game is inconsistent about telegraphing what button you're supposed to press vs just expecting you to know you're supposed to press something with no prompt. Do the wrong one and you're dead.
    --ran into a nasty glitch with the camera after you get the time item.
    --story seems extremely light barely any dialogue. Kratos stays pretty quiet for very long stretches.

Feeling pretty frustrated with it, mostly.

Same here. Some of it is fun... but the combat is just so slow.

I'm talking about playing on hard too. I heard you take to little damage on easier settings, so I went with hard. But the problem is everything intterupts you and only heavy attacks interrupt enemies... so you really can't "combo" like other action games. I'm finding I HAVE to do the counter move to get some breathing room, which would be fine if the button press worked everytime... its L1+X, and since L1 is block you can hold block and time the X button for the counter/parry thing. The problem is it doesn't always work that way, sometimes you have to release block and push it again. Its just stupidly inconsistent.

Also, I'm done with the fucking "cinematic camera" thing. Sure it might be cool in easier settings where you can take a billion hits, but when 4 enemies can chain attack you to dead in 3 seconds its fucking moronic to constantly zoom out just to show me how big the shit in the background is. If they wanna do that, don't have me fighting enemies that require careful blocking and dodging at the same time.

Bigger enemies are boring as all fuck too. They are actually much easier than smaller ones... but you can't do anything other than a few light attacks then dodge-roll or counter/parry, then repeat over and over.

I'm also confused with the elements you have on your weapons. They say that they give certain orb colors when you execute an enemy, and usually they take an upgrade to get that effect... when I got the soul element on them it said "green orbs" are given. So I immediately upgraded to get that aspect on there, but I've yet to see any green orbs come from executing. Maybe its turned off on hard mode? Whatever it is, its not working exactly as stated.

The game is ok, and I play most things on hard and have no issues.... since hard is basically the new normal nowdays. I also wouldn't say this is really "hard", its just unfair. Take something like demons/dark souls games, thats HARD but fair, when you fuck up you know exactly why YOU fucked up. In this its just really tarded feeling. Still pretty fun, but not the same enjoyment I got from all the other GoW games.

Steam: Badwrong || Xbox: Duncan Dohnuts || PSN: Buc_wild

¯\_(ツ)_/¯