As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The U.S. Congress Thread

ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
While a certain amount of "lol Republicans" is unavoidable, endeavor to at least stay on the topic of Republicans in Congress. Republicans like Representative Don Young of Alaska, the at-large Representative for the state of Alaska.

http://latino.foxnews.com/latino/politics/2013/03/29/rep-don-young-in-hot-water-for-wetback-comment/
In the interview in Ketchikan, U.S. Rep. Don Young (R-AK) used the term “wetback” when describing the California farm workers who picked tomatoes on his father’s California farm when he was younger.
"I used to own - my father had a ranch. We used to hire 50 to 60 wetbacks to pick tomatoes,” Young said in the interview. “You know it takes two people to pick the same tomatoes now. It's all done by machine."

Young’s comments were picked up soon after by bloggers, sparking anger and a quick response from Young’s office. The lawmaker said that he “meant no disrespect” but stopped short of making a full apology.

“During a sit-down interview with Ketchikan Public Radio this week, I used a term that was commonly used during my days growing up on a farm in Central California,” he said, according to the Washington Times. “I know that this term is not used in the same way nowadays, and I meant no disrespect.”

I had to do a triple-take on what year this article is from, because goddamn this is more some 1963 shit than some 2013 shit. In his defense, he is from Alaska, so it's entirely possible he hasn't seen a Latino since 1963.

• Options
    RetabaRetaba A Cultist Registered User regular
    “I know that this term is not used in the same way nowadays, and I meant no disrespect.”

Hasn't that term always been racist?

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Retaba wrote: »
    “I know that this term is not used in the same way nowadays, and I meant no disrespect.”

Racism is a new thing invented by hippie commie liberals.

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    Retaba wrote: »

Yes, but racism used to be a lot more acceptable.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    The term is used exactly the same way nowadays as it was back then. What's different nowadays is people realizing racism = bad.

edit: or just what AMFE said

KalTorak on
  • Options
    And Republicans making the right move, for once, in throwing Young under the bus.

Money shot:
    Among the first to criticize Young were House Speaker John Boehner (R-Ohio), Republican National Committee Chairman Reince Priebus and Sen. John Cornyn (R-Texas).

“Congressman Young’s remarks were offensive and beneath the dignity of the office he holds,” Boehner said in a statement. “I don’t care why he said it – there’s no excuse and it warrants an immediate apology.”

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Thanatos wrote: »
    And Republicans making the right move, for once, in throwing Young under the bus.

Money shot:
    Among the first to criticize Young were House Speaker John Boehner (R-Ohio), Republican National Committee Chairman Reince Priebus and Sen. John Cornyn (R-Texas).

“Congressman Young’s remarks were offensive and beneath the dignity of the office he holds,” Boehner said in a statement. “I don’t care why he said it – there’s no excuse and it warrants an immediate apology.”

Shorter Boehner: "Godammit, you're not supposed to TALK about it!"

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    I'm not sure it's "doing the right thing" when you're in the context of needing Latino voters in order to not be forever losing elections.

It's kind of "doing the only thing that's not suicide".

• Options
    Basically, fuck Republicans in Congress, I'm not giving them an inch.

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    The fact that he's getting called on it and the recent gay marriage break really makes me hopeful that the coming war for the soul of the party is starting.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    Chanus wrote: »
    I'm not sure it's "doing the right thing" when you're in the context of needing Latino voters in order to not be forever losing elections.

It's kind of "doing the only thing that's not suicide".
    Sorry, I should have used a different word; by "right" I meant "correct," not "morally upstanding."

• Options
    The fact that he's getting called on it and the recent gay marriage break really makes me hopeful that the coming war for the soul of the party is starting.

It's been going on since the Tea Party came to power.

There's just enough public opinion shifting lately that GOP-Republicans can speak out with less fear of instant primary defeat.

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular

Nope! Remember, it's all about the messaging. They still believe everything the same way, they're just not supposed to say it out loud now.

Also, one guy coming out for gay marriage because his son came out of the closet three years ago isn't really a "break".

LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular

There's just enough public opinion shifting lately that GOP-Republicans can speak out with less fear of instant primary defeat.

I think they were struggling behind the scenes but these are starting to be public fights over things which is a big no no to the GOP of yore.

Of course, the fight is really going to be if the primary voters are paying attention and sick of crazy (probably not.)

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options

I think they were struggling behind the scenes but these are starting to be public fights over things which is a big no no to the GOP of yore.

Of course, the fight is really going to be if the primary voters are paying attention and sick of crazy (probably not.)
    I'm hoping there's still enough crazy left in 2014 that we don't get beat down too badly.

• Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    So apparently in HR933, there was a rider that basically says a federal court can not stop the planting or sale of a GMO or GE food if any adverse side effects from its consumption should ever come to be known at any point in time. It's being called the Monsanto Protection Act.

• Options
    HamurabiHamurabi MiamiRegistered User regular
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    Yeah, Todd Kincannon is a giant dickbag.

Chanus on
  • Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    That is one of the most honest politicians I've ever seen.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Again Iraq war vets, this is the party that sent you to war and this is how they feel about you.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    Kincannon really isn't in Congress, and I'd like to avoid this becoming "lol Republicans," guys.

Bob Barr is apparently going to run for Congress again.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    Wow so a real winner, but remember its just the way they say a dead gun victim would be a male prostitute, not the actual message.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    Kincannon really isn't in Congress, and I'd like to avoid this becoming "lol Republicans," guys.

Alternately, concerning South Carolinian Congressional Hopefuls, Mark Sanford is hoping to make a comeback.

We may recall he was the governor who was fucking his mistress in Argentina on the taxpayer's dime a couple years ago.

Chanus on
  • Options
    Yeah Santorum is backing the GOP challenger to Sanford. In that same race they are going up against Stephen Colbert's sister, currently leading both in the polls but its closer for Sanford.

Also Ed Markey the guy vying to take over John Kerry's senate seat got Al Gore attacked by the GOP.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options

Alternately, concerning South Carolinian Congressional Hopefuls, Mark Sanford is hoping to make a comeback.

We may recall he was the governor who was fucking his mistress in Argentina on the taxpayer's dime a couple years ago.

Not JUST the governor who was fucking his mistress in Argentina on the taxpayer's dime

the governor who was fucking his mistress in Argentina on the taxpayer's dime while lying to the media that he was hiking the Appalachian Trail and nobody on his staff even knew where he was

LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    SyphonBlue wrote: »

Not JUST the governor who was fucking his mistress in Argentina on the taxpayer's dime

the governor who was fucking his mistress in Argentina on the taxpayer's dime while lying to the media that he was hiking the Appalachian Trail and nobody on his staff even knew where he was

You forgot the part about how he did it on father's day weekend.

• Options
    Clearly this guy is Pro Tier. Elect him now.

• Options
    The sad thing is he does stand a good chance of getting elected, as he was previously elected for that very seat.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Clearly this guy is Pro Tier. Elect him now.

he stands a very good chance of being elected because he is running against a democrat in South Carolina

LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options
    Yeah, I know.

I try not to think about it too much.

• Options
    Need we also forget champion of marriage former speaker of the house Newt Gingrich.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Look, man, he just loved America too much.

• Options
    But remember Anthony Weiner sending a pic of his large dick in tight underware to a woman that is not his wife was the ultimate sin. Cheating on your wife with hookers like David Vitter, or getting beej's from your staffers wives like Gingrich? Real americans!

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    Gaddez wrote: »

"The first thing we need to do is acknowledge that this guy is a badass."

• Options
    Preacher wrote: »
    But remember Anthony Weiner sending a pic of his large dick in tight underware to a woman that is not his wife was the ultimate sin. Cheating on your wife with hookers like David Vitter, or getting beej's from your staffers wives like Gingrich? Real americans!

IOKIYAR

LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options

Man do not compare Sanford to Drew Thompson, Thompson was bad ass. Sanford was just a sleazy clown banging a woman in Argentina.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular

Man do not compare Sanford to Drew Thompson, Thompson was bad ass. Sanford was just a sleazy clown banging a woman in Argentina.

I mean, you do kind of have to admire the stones on the guy

• Options
    Not really plenty of dudes cheat on their wives and give lame stories for why they did it. I mean you want to talk about stones it would be Gingrich leading the charge against Clinton while he was cheating on wife number 2 with wife number 3.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    HamurabiHamurabi MiamiRegistered User regular

My bad. I just saw it on my Facebook feed and thought it was the single most surprising turn of events in the history of politics, ever EVER. :P

• Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    Not really plenty of dudes cheat on their wives and give lame stories for why they did it. I mean you want to talk about stones it would be Gingrich leading the charge against Clinton while he was cheating on wife number 2 with wife number 3.

Wasn't wife number 2 dying, while he was having a tryst with number 3?

Or was it Wife number 1 dying while he had a tryst with number 2?

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    I think only one wife was dying.

This discussion has been closed.