As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The U.S. Congress Thread

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    I'm sitting here. Biting my tongue. Two coworkers are talking back and forth about how the Republicans have been constantly trying to negotiate and how Obama is shutting them down. Like since Obama took office. Before this whole shutdown thing.

Riiiiiight. I don't know what fantasy world they've been living in... But it's a bunch of horse crap.

http://www.theonion.com/articles/group-of-friends-engage-in-passionate-incoherent-d,33500/

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »
    http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2013/10/09/on-debt-ceiling-coburn-calls-for-managed-catastrophe-now/

"The debt ceiling has never not been raised, so there is no debt ceiling. And by having a debt ceiling and then raising it every time, it allows the politicians off the hook for making the hard choices," the Oklahoma Republican said on CNN's "New Day."

Coburn said he'd rather have a "managed catastrophe now" than "kick it down the road."

"We can't continue to get an increased limit on our credit card
    when we're not demonstrating any financial integrity in the way we run our government," he told CNN's Chris Cuomo.

The senator made his point in a more visual way on the Senate floor Tuesday, when he ripped apart a giant poster modeled after a credit card for the U.S. government.
    So he is a moron, got it.

Tom Coburn is either a complete imbecile, or he is uncanny at playing the part of one.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Feral wrote: »
    http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2013/10/09/on-debt-ceiling-coburn-calls-for-managed-catastrophe-now/

"The debt ceiling has never not been raised, so there is no debt ceiling. And by having a debt ceiling and then raising it every time, it allows the politicians off the hook for making the hard choices," the Oklahoma Republican said on CNN's "New Day."

Coburn said he'd rather have a "managed catastrophe now" than "kick it down the road."

when we're not demonstrating any financial integrity in the way we run our government," he told CNN's Chris Cuomo.

The senator made his point in a more visual way on the Senate floor Tuesday, when he ripped apart a giant poster modeled after a credit card for the U.S. government.

Tom Coburn is either a complete imbecile, or he is uncanny at playing the part of one.

And yet everyone in the media thinks he's a brilliant man. Which says a few things.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular

And yet everyone in the media thinks he's a brilliant man. Which says a few things.

This is one of The Washington Post's senior political reporters

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YArTpukehYY

• Options

I hate him so much that

clue-mrs_-white.jpg

flames

burning

• Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Only one more page until we hit our page limit.

No end to the postquester in sight.

Possible repercussions include spiking post timer rates, a devaluing of the Awesome button, and consonant rations.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    We will not negotiate with @ElJeffe. A new thread is off the table till you permanently raise the page count.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    edited October 2013
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    Only one more page until we hit our page limit.

No end to the postquester in sight.

Possible repercussions include spiking post timer rates, a devaluing of the Awesome button, and consonant rations.

The end is nigh! Prepare to evacuate to other threads!

Slim-pickens_riding-the-bomb_enh-lores.jpg

Phyphor on
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    THE PAGE LIMIT ISN'T A REAL THING. THIS IS ALL A MOD CONSPIRACY TO TAKE AWAY OUR FREEDOMS.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    shalmeloshalmelo sees no evil Registered User regular

What's the short-term interest rate on Bros these days?

...asking for a friend.

Steam ID: Shalmelo || LoL: melo2boogaloo || tweets
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    I assume that Bros won't be in any way affected.

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    I refuse to give in until we're given an "Oh Snap" button in addition to a page increase.

• Options
    Taramoor wrote: »
    I assume that Bros won't be in any way affected.

Bros can only go up. We must return to the Bro Standard before these Fiat Agrees lose their value completely

• Options
    zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular
    I think this page limit is overstated, and we'll actually find that once we hit it it's much less problematic than ElJeffe's fear mongering.

Indeed, the term 'locked' is really overstated. If we want, we can keep the most important parts of our discussion going by simply editing the posts that we've already made. We don't need to be able to make new posts to be able to run a D&D thread. The only people who suffer in that situation are people who haven't already posted, and, let's be honest, if they haven't posted yet, I really don't care if they are stuck lurking in the street without receiving anything in this thread.

• Options
    Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    Tragedy!
    Shutdown means no new beer from craft brewers
    The federal government shutdown could leave America's craft brewers with a serious hangover.

Stores will still offer plenty of suds. But the shutdown has closed an obscure agency that quietly approves new breweries, recipes and labels, which could create huge delays throughout the rapidly growing craft industry, whose customers expect a constant supply of inventive and seasonal beers.

IS NOTHING SACRED

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    Furlough Beard day 9: The face has become accustomed to the strange beard, and it will persist until an agreement can be made. Mustache has been running rogue and causing unforeseen food related consequences, may try to pass measures to keep the lip area trimmed. Last week a Dorito tried to force it's way past beard with tragic results.

• Options
    ZephiranZephiran Registered User regular
    I for one think the forums will stabilize once we go over the limit.

You're gonna see some stable as fuck forums any moment now. Stabler forums will not hitherto have been experienced, you'll all see.

Alright and in this next scene all the animals have AIDS.

I got a little excited when I saw your ship.
  • Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    ElJeffe SAYS there's a page limit, but he's been infracting FORUM WAR SURVIVORS AND VETERANS personally so that we'll think that there really is a page limit.

OPEN YOU'RE EYES, SHEEPLEBAMAS

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    schuss wrote: »
    I refuse to give in until we're given an "Oh Snap" button in addition to a page increase.

We can't add an "Oh Snap" button until we find a way to cut "Agree" buttons to make up the cost overrun. Do you think we can just print "Oh Snaps" without ruining the economy?

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    I'm stocking up on consonants right now!

u i , i e !

• Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    KalTorak wrote: »
    I'm stocking up on consonants right now!

u i , i e !

Gentlemen, we cannot allow there to be a consonant gap!

• Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    edited October 2013
    This is obviously a sign of the end of the internet. The scriptures were all wrong, and we thought it would end with the Y2K bug, but that's because the Gregorian calendar was made by liberal facists who want to control everyone to set up the perfect utopian dystopia and control every aspect of your lives. They want to eliminate personal responsibility so they can keep you in your homes brainwashed all day and so they'll shut down the internet when the page count hits 120, rather than negotiating with us to raise it because going over the page limit will crash all of the internets all over the world. The apocalypse is coming and they won't avert it, but it will be fine because those of us that have led good lives and prayed to Nidhoggr and dutifully sacrificed in His name will be spared.
    Edit: Goddamned that fucking hurt my brain to type.

Mvrck on
  • Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    Since we're talking about what will happen for the inevitable collapse of the worldwide economy, with only the super rich surviving, I now have my plans in place.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YrK-eH87ck

• Options
    AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    The mods will hand out letters to any moocher who doesn't want to work for them. I've been on Wheel of Fortune, did anybody buy me a vowel? No.

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    As President of tbloxhamistan, I would urge the moderators to take swift action to stabilize the posting economy and bring rogue elements in line.

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    My dad's favorite line about the US is that it can't possibly repay the debt it holds.

I've given up trying to explain why that's not how it works. But also, I'm pretty sure most of his views are centred on an insufficiently self-aware desire to see the next World War (he used to watch, and still does watch, WW2 documentaries constantly).

Which explains why hyperinflation comes up so much.

• Options
    tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    My sources tell me there are at least the required 3.667 votes required in Modgress to raise the post ceiling.

6ylyzxlir2dz.png
  • Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    Astaereth wrote: »
    The mods will hand out letters to any moocher who doesn't want to work for them. I've been on Wheel of Fortune, did anybody buy me a vowel? No.

Thanks to you, I now have a new analogy for people who say they did things all on their own:
    "You saying no one helped you while you were on food stamps and unemployment is like someone getting "Rattlesnake" as the winners puzzle in Wheel of Fortune and boasting how clever they are for figuring it out.

• Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    The awesome button has always been risky. I have no sympathy for people who invested heavily in awesomes. They were always playing a dangerous dangerous game.

Meanwhile, the less sexy but infinitely more stable agree button remains strong even in the face of impending threadlockastrophy.

As someone who heavily invested in agrees against exactly this scenario, all I can say to the awesome-hoarders is
    Nyah-nyah

• Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    I always enjoy when people decide that because the US debt is SO HUGE that we need DRASTIC ACROSS THE BOARD CUTS to fix. Like we need to somehow save 14 trillion dollars by next year.

And then when you try to explain the difference between debt and defecit then they give you a blank stare.

• Options
    The awesome button has always been risky. I have no sympathy for people who invested heavily in awesomes. They were always playing a dangerous dangerous game.

Meanwhile, the less sexy but infinitely more stable agree button remains strong even in the face of impending threadlockastrophy.

As someone who heavily invested in agrees against exactly this scenario, all I can say to the awesome-hoarders is
    Nyah-nyah

Yet your Fiat Agree currency is inherently worthless! Return to the Bro Standard! Fist bumps for all!

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Look, why won't ElJeffe sit down and negotiate? He keeps saying that he won't even sit down and have a discussion with us. I just think that's irresponsible and devil-may-care of him, since he's the whole reason this thread has hit more than 100 pages in the first place!

• Options
    CogCog What'd you expect? Registered User regular
    Most people wont even notice when this thread gets locked anyway. Burn it down!

• Options
    DivideByZeroDivideByZero Social Justice Blackguard Registered User regular
    Hey mods, it's page 119. Maybe we should send this thread to committee before it's too late?

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKERS
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Hey mods, it's page 119. Maybe we should send this thread to committee before it's too late?

We've already passed piecemeal parts of the thread, the ones that I like. Why are the mods rejecting them?

• Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    Phyphor wrote: »

Nyah-nyah

Yet your Fiat Agree currency is inherently worthless! Return to the Bro Standard! Fist bumps for all!

The bro-standard is not homologous to the gold standard, being that it is a brand new thing and so its ultimate value is unknown.

I'm not saying that bros are bit-coins.

But I'm not not saying that.

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    I'm sitting here. Biting my tongue. Two coworkers are talking back and forth about how the Republicans have been constantly trying to negotiate and how Obama is shutting them down. Like since Obama took office. Before this whole shutdown thing.

Riiiiiight. I don't know what fantasy world they've been living in... But it's a bunch of horse crap.

Oh hey I didn't know you moved to my office.

• Options
    Phyphor wrote: »

Nyah-nyah

The bro-standard is not homologous to the gold standard, being that it is a brand new thing and so its ultimate value is unknown.

I'm not saying that bros are bit-coins.

But I'm not not saying that.

Are you saying bros are not worth their weight in gold?

• Options
    CogCog What'd you expect? Registered User regular
    Quid wrote: »

Oh hey I didn't know you moved to my office.

Seriously. It's rampant around here. I stay out of it because inevitably calling someone a fucking philistine sounds like a poor career move.

• Options
    zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular
    Huh, even the cocks - er, Koch Brothers - are telling Congeese to STFU about Obamacare and focus on spending.

That's pretty bad when even those assholes are saying attacking Obamacare is not the hill to die on.

This discussion has been closed.