As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

NBC's [Hannibal]: "I believe that is called a mike drop."

• Options
    enc0reenc0re Registered User regular
    I need a little help understanding how the missed episode fits into the numbering scheme on iTunes. Episode 4 on iTunes ("Ceuf"): is that the episode that replaced the cut episode? Or is that by any chance the actual missing episode?

• Options
    SchadenfreudeSchadenfreude Mean Mister Mustard Registered User regular
    That is the missing episode. And it's actually called Oeuf (As in Egg) with fancy letterings ( Œuf ) which has completely confused everyone including NBC.

Anyway, that's the episode that was pulled (Molly Shannon and the younglings) so if you have that one then you've got the full set.

Contemplate this on the Tree of Woe
  • Options
    Interesting. Points for iTunes I suppose.

• Options
    AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    edited May 2013
    A ratings update, since it's been a few weeks since the last round. New numbers in bold:

1 - "Apéritif" - 1.6 in the demo, 4.36 million viewers (plus 2.41 DVR viewers, DVR demo 1.1)
    2 - "Amuse-Bouche" - 1.7 in the demo, 4.38 million viewers (plus 2.37 DVR viewers, DVR demo 1.1)
    3 - "Potage" - 1.4 in the demo, 3.51 million viewers (plus 2.08 DVR viewers, DVR demo 1.4)
    4 - "Œuf" - unaired
    5 - "Coquilles" - 1.0 in the demo, 2.40 million viewers (plus 1.81 DVR viewers, DVR demo 1.9)
    6 - "Entrée" - 1.1 in the demo, 2.61 million viewers (DVR numbers not available yet)
    7 - "Sorbet" - 1.1 in the demo, 2.62 million viewers (DVR numbers not available yet)
    8 - "Fromage" - 1.1 in the demo, 2.46 million viewers (DVR numbers not available yet)

I find this pretty heartening for Hannibal's renewal chances, given that the show seems to have stabilized at around 2.5 million viewers and a 1.1 demo. We might see an uptick for the season finale, as well. If this continues to hold I expect that NBC will consider this enough of a sure thing in a historically troubled timeslot to renew.

Astaereth on
    ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    How I understand it right now is NBC tried to pull politics of "ehhhhh weill see about renewal" and then amazon and a bunch of other networks jumped up and said "COME ON IN THE WATERS FINE!" and NBC went "/cough it looks good"

I think theres a better than average chance weill get a season 2 from somewhere if not NBC.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Am I a part of the problem because i've been watching these on Hulu?

I have a difficult time remembering specific schedules for things, so if I didn't watch online i'd never watch it at all.

• Options
    Captain TragedyCaptain Tragedy Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Aistan wrote: »

I have a difficult time remembering specific schedules for things, so if I didn't watch online i'd never watch it at all.

If you're not a Nielsen family, whether or not you watch it live on TV doesn't matter. Online viewing (at least for legal sites) at least gets counted, but they don't real look at those numbers that much.

Captain Tragedy on
  • Options
    gjaustingjaustin Registered User regular

If you're not a Nielsen family, whether or not you watch it live on TV doesn't matter. Online viewing (at least for legal sites) at least gets counted, but they don't real look at those numbers that much.

I once received a packet asking me to be a Nielsen household.

I declined. Therefore, I am the problem.

• Options
    MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    gjaustin wrote: »

You could have had the power!!

XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
  • Options
    gjaustingjaustin Registered User regular
    Mulletude wrote: »

But also the responsibility!!

• Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    I got a Nielsen invitation a month ago. Inside were five of the cleanest, crispest dollar bills I've ever seen. They practically looked fake for how damn new they were.

A shame I have Netflix and no tv service at all.

Linespider5 on
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    I got a Nielsen invitation a month ago. Inside we're five of the cleanest, crispest dollar bills I've ever seen. They practically looked fake for how damn new they were.

A shame I have Netflix and no tv service at all.

I'm in the same situation and got five crisp ones from Nielsen. I called them and asked if they still wanted me to participate. They said yes. So the next survey came with two bucks. I put down 'House of Cards' as my top TV show. I hope that doesn't crash their survey machine.

enc0re on
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    I actually did Neilsen diaries several times. It was easy. Then I was out of town, and my ex couldn't be bothered to at least fill it out, and they stopped sending them to us.

I could totally use that power for good instead of evil.

• Options
    tuxkamentuxkamen really took this picture. Registered User regular
    For a long while, we were an electronically-monitored Nielsen household. It was glorious. Sesame Street, all day err' day.

Then we moved and they didn't want us any more. :/

Games: Ad Astra Per Phalla | Choose Your Own Phalla
    Thus, the others all die before tuxkamen dies to the vote. Hence, tuxkamen survives, village victory.
    3DS: 2406-5451-5770
  • Options
    MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    Mulletude wrote: »

But also the responsibility!!

And also the Touch

XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
  • Options
    Ethan SmithEthan Smith Origin name: Beart4to Arlington, VARegistered User regular
    Damn, intense ending to this weeks episode

• Options
    I found this episode to be a slight dip in quality--not as ambitious, not as successful in tying everything together thematically, or in focusing as strongly on Abigail as previous episodes have focused on their characters. Perhaps that's because it tries to tackle two themes that are mostly separate: secrecy (every major scene is about truth hidden from others or ourselves--except of course the two that are deliberately about honesty) and fatherhood, which ties into the case of the week as well as the way Will and Hannibal feel about the girl they saved.

Perhaps Crawford says it best when he tells Will that the man is incapable of remaining objective about Abigail. Of course he is! That's what an emotional connection entails, and we see all throughout the episode that both negative emotions (fear, romantic jealousy) and positive emotions (friendship, paternal love) can twist us into knots and prevent us from doing what is right. Hannibal's poison benevolence has infected them all--but even though it is poison, it is still benevolence, still caring. Even, I'm convinced, for Lector himself. When he secures a long-awaited personal confession from Abigail, I was very much reminded of his quest to get a very different (but equally personal) story from Clarice Starling. He may have many motivations for wanting that truth from her--but one of them does indeed seem to be honest concern, some form of love. "Some form of love"--a phrase recalling Will's description of the then-unknown Garret Jacob Hobbes, as well as the end of this episode. Again, there are several emotions playing over Hobbes' face, but his smile is, I think, one of pride.

Fatherhood is about protection, about guidance, but it's also in some respects a selfish impulse, the desire to see oneself duplicated, to see oneself carried on after death. We want to mold our children. "I decided you are important," says Will to his surrogate daughter. Because he wishes to see her attain the stability that is slipping away from him, because he wishes to prove that he isn't the man her father was--and because he sees her to be like himself, someone who touched death but was only a victim of it. When he finds out differently it's devastating.

In a sense fatherhood embodies truthfulness. It takes honesty to admit that you care about someone, as we see with Dr. Bloom. It's a state founded on truth (the hard truth of blood and DNA), and one that may cause emotional displays as "ostentatious" as any other totem. It's much more fact than narrative, a relationship that defines actions, emotions, and perceptions. But paradoxically, here it brings both Will and Hannibal to lie, to keep things hidden. The fact that Hannibal, who lies twice to Abigail as the reward for her confession, is so much more practiced at secrecy and falsehood is, I'm sure, going to have increasing dramatic weight as the last four episodes of this season bring a number of emotional, thematic, and story elements to a head.

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    I think it's funny how, because she is so self-satisfied, smug, and is a self-righteous vegetarian (because of course she would be), Freddie Lounds is inadvertently the only character on the show who has been invited to Hannibal's for dinner and has not eaten his traditional cooking.

Not as good an episode as previously, but still one of the best shows i've been watching. I'm getting more and more interested in how all the little threads are going to come together. The last few episodes of this season are probably going to be nuts.

• Options
    EgosEgos Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    The show did a rather nice job making their blatant advertising fit the plot. I was going there wondering "What are the fucking odds every student at the lecture would have a macbook?" then I went "Oh it was a hallucination and Will has a macbook, I see what you did there 'Hannibal'."

Though there are some colleges that do have a weird "Mac Law"

Egos on
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    I dunno, I thought that was the same missing time deal from earlier, except instead of driving three and a half hours, he finished a lecture.

• Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    Is it me or was the music less intrusive this episode?

I wonder how long it'll take before Abigail tastes something familiar in the meals Hannibal serves her. There did seem to be a hint of recognition when she took her first bite.

And holy crap, Lance Henriksen looked so old.

• Options
    Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    I dunno, I thought that was the same missing time deal from earlier, except instead of driving three and a half hours, he finished a lecture.

I took it as a hallucination, because Alana not wanting to disturb him if he was practicing implied to me he was talking out loud. It's minutia either way, though!

I really enjoyed this episode.

Is there a backstory I'm forgetting with Will downing pills? I think I just noticed it last week, but I don't think it's been mentioned and none of the other characters seem to be reacting to it.

Fuck off and die.
  • Options
    WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    I wonder how long it'll take before Abigail tastes something familiar in the meals Hannibal serves her. There did seem to be a hint of recognition when she took her first bite.

I think she knew immediately upon that bite. She knows what he is and thats why she feels safe around him because hes the most similar thing to her father.

Wassermelone on
  • Options
    Peter Ebel wrote: »
    Is there a backstory I'm forgetting with Will downing pills? I think I just noticed it last week, but I don't think it's been mentioned and none of the other characters seem to be reacting to it.

He's been taking aspirin/Advil pretty much constantly since Jack pulled him into the Shryke case to begin with.

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    I love how they find a balance between referencing the earlier films and still doing their own thing. A lot of the scenes have additional resonance if you've seen Silence of the Lambs etc., but they're by no means required. They just add an additional flavour, so to speak.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options

I think she knew immediately upon that bite. She knows what he is and thats why she feels safe around him because hes the most similar thing to her father.

Which makes sense--as Hannibal says, "We are both her fathers now." With Will as the loving, protecting father and Hannibal as the teaching, manipulating, killing father. Hopefully one of the answers we'll get by the end of the season is which one Abigail will choose to follow.

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    Mads Mikkelsen is magnificent at playing cultured monsters. I want to see him in more stuff. I want hannibal to last several more seasons.

• Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    Just gonna leave this here, because now that I've seen it I can never see the ending of the pilot again without thinking about it.
    I'm steadily getting caught up on this show. I just saw Coquilles, and Jesus Mary mother of shit, this may be one of the best-shot shows in the history of TV. Also, how great were Gina Torres and Fishburne's scenes together?

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    PierceNeckPierceNeck Registered User regular
    Just gonna leave this here, because now that I've seen it I can never see the ending of the pilot again without thinking about it.
    :snip:
    God dammit.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    There's also this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eghxpdav3vo

No one loves television like Korea loves television, apparently.

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    Ethan SmithEthan Smith Origin name: Beart4to Arlington, VARegistered User regular
    edited May 2013
    So I found this thing
    http://hannibalebooks.tumblr.com/
    tumblr_mndzs55rZh1ssjaweo1_500.png

Ethan Smith on
  • Options
    I don't get that Tumblr - can someone explain to me what it's doing in the first place? It seems so random.

Anyway, excited for the next episode, especially since we already had to miss out on Game of Thrones this week... And I so much hope that this series will live long enough to retell Red Dragon and, ideally, even Silence of the Lambs. I'd love to see this creative team's take on those stories and characters.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    Thirith wrote: »
    I don't get that Tumblr - can someone explain to me what it's doing in the first place? It seems so random.

It's a combo Tumblr, like Arrested Westeros, combining Hannibal stills with text from deranged (possibly 'bot?) but strangely poetic twitter account, @horse_ebooks.

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    Ah, thanks. I wasn't aware of the existence of @horse_ebooks, but then I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to Twitter and any related memes.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
  • Options
    MalReynoldsMalReynolds The Hunter S Thompson of incredibly mild medicines Registered User regular
    I'm not crazy about the Abigail storyline.

I like the thematic resonance of it, but I don't care for the execution, so to speak. It just doesn't click for me.

Re: Next week's teaser
    Miriam Lass disappeared, and Will is talking to someone under the bed named Georgia.

Georgia Lass was the lead on Dead Like Me.

Might be one of those Singerverse connections.

"A new take on the epic fantasy genre... Darkly comic, relatable characters... twisted storyline."
    "Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor
    My new novel: Maledictions: The Offering. Now in Paperback!
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Thirith wrote: »
    Ah, thanks. I wasn't aware of the existence of @horse_ebooks, but then I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to Twitter and any related memes.

That's a great name for a company.

• Options
    Captain TragedyCaptain Tragedy Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Renewed for 13-episode Season 2. Will be on midseason.

Captain Tragedy on
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    sweet!

• Options
    Awesome! I'm so happy that we'll get another 13 episodes of this wonderful show.

In celebration, something I found online celebrating Hannibal and the new Arrested Development:
    2rp9ze9.jpg

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    Huzzah! More Mads Mikkelsen making man meals for me.

Fuck off and die.