As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Monster Hunter] Wherein we express our hatred for fish wyverns

• ColumnColumn Registered User regular
    Anyone have any recommended Hunting Horn lines?

Despise the weapon but the Magia Charm is my go to so I can prance around like Sailor Moon.

On a more serious note I think green notes, as mentioned, are go to 's for healing notes.

• EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    You have the Magia Charm?

Sigh...

Enlong wrote: »
    You have the Magia Charm?

Sigh...

I know you said earlier you're stuck on the 3DS with no NPC hunters from guild cards, but if you can get a handful of cards, it's pretty easy to make. I've been sending guys out ASAP between missions when saving the village and I'm a few pieces of some random item from the upgrade never even trying to mess with the line since I hate the horns compared to hammer.

• vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Besides the Magia Charm line, with moderate damage, super high dragon element, and awesome buffs... Which of the high damage HH lines would be best to go for?

Also, recommendation of G-rank gunner sets? For bowgun that is so Awaken isn't required i use both LBG and HBG.
    Also, is Remove Limiter worth it over Silencer/Long Barrel?

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • TayaTaya Registered User regular
    I own Tri but didn't really get past the tutorial quests. I think I quit before I even figured out how to catch fish. Not that I didn't like it, I just got distracted by something else.

Bought MH3U today and it's fun so far. I picked lance as my weapon first, because I love lances, but I'd like to try it all before I stick with something. Apparently bagpipes is a weapon :O

Anyone HR6 or higher going to be on tonight? I really need to hit HR7 for volcano mining for a few things.

• vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Column wrote: »
    Anyone HR6 or higher going to be on tonight? I really need to hit HR7 for volcano mining for a few things.

I'm on now.

edited April 2013

I'm on now.

I'll be online again soon, hopefully no longer than 30 minutes from now. Getting some food and taking the dog out. Send a friend request to Column if you don't mind and I'll join you if you're still playing and there's room.

Column on

I'm on now.

I'll be online again soon, hopefully no longer than 30 minutes from now. Getting some food and taking the dog out. Send a friend request to Column if you don't mind and I'll join you if you're still playing and there's room.

Hmm, well. I won't have too much time then as I work graveyard tonight.

• IceBurnerIceBurner It's cold and there are penguins.Registered User regular
    It is so ridiculously hard to get a Alatreon clusting group together in Tri.

3DS: 3024-6114-2886 | NNID: Rabites | Steam: IceBurner
    PSN: theIceBurner, IceBurnerEU, IceBurner-JP | X-Link Kai: TheIceBurner
    Dragon's Dogma: 192 Warrior Linty | 80 Strider Alicia | 32 Mage Terra
    IceBurner wrote: »
    It is so ridiculously hard to get a Alatreon clusting group together in Tri.

Because Tri digivolved into Ultimate.

No, sadly it's because people come in for the Alatreon event quest, but when told it's clust only and they don't have the necessary setup, they take it personally, get pissy and refuse to leave like toddlers who have no grasp of their emotions whatsoever.

It would help if rooms could be named.

• BlurblBlurbl -_- Registered User regular
    Sorry if this has been answered before, but is the 3ds version worth it for someone without a WiiU? That means I can't do online multiplayer, right?

edited April 2013
    I swear they're just letting the server maintenance go to hell too; they're laggier, crashier, and more disconnect-happy than ever before. I don't understand why I can never get disconnected from a quest going poorly however; it always happens when things are actually going right.

I am so frustrated right now. I have been at this literally all day long, since 9:30 in the morning, and I have completed ONE, just ONE Where Gods Fear to Tread successfully. On all other occasions there were 3 KO's (just one was mine, the first in an entire month), or I was disconnected.

IceBurner on
    Damn you Hunter 4 Hire quests! What must I do for you to give me G-rank quests? I need those for the final form of my magical girl wand!

Woo. Got a new mask for Kayamba and... Oh. That's unfortunate.

Considering bringing that mask to a Lagiacrus or Baleful Gigginox fight.

Also: Pitfall Trap mask? WTS?

• MatthewMatthew Registered User regular
    Blurbl wrote: »
    Sorry if this has been answered before, but is the 3ds version worth it for someone without a WiiU? That means I can't do online multiplayer, right?

Online? No? But you can still play multiplayer, you'll just have to be much much closer to the other players.

• PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Enlong wrote: »
    Woo. Got a new mask for Kayamba and... Oh. That's unfortunate.

Considering bringing that mask to a Lagiacrus or Baleful Gigginox fight.

Also: Pitfall Trap mask? WTS?

That mask is relevant to the next few urgents... I don't think lesser beasts do anything.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
    edited April 2013
    Took a bit longer than I planned, but I'm back online and just did a mining run to upgrade something. If anyone wants to do the HR6 keys to hit HR7 let me know as I'd rather do this with other PA people than any randoms I can connect to.

I know you're offline by now but I added you Vagrant.

Column on
    What Drop table is used for Mock Melynx thefts? Standard body carve?

• PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Anyone know a good spot to farm Pawprint Stamps?

Also, ARE there any G rank arena quests?

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
    Don't you get those for beating up Melynxes? (doesn't actually know, despite owning a Grim Cat)

• I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Pawprint stamps drop from melynxes and felynes. 12% for felynes, 20% for melynxes. Just free hunt area 3 and 4, return to village, free hunt, return to village, and so on until you've got what you need.

liEt3nH.png
  • Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    Ugh, getting these carpenterbugs for the Wroggi Armor is really annoying. The internets say zone 2, 4, and 10 in sandy plains, but all I ever get is thunderbugs and other useless nonsense.

Is Wroggi armor worth it for a switch axe user? I'm not super sure what skills I should be going for. Currently in Jaggi armor if that matters.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular
    Knight_ wrote: »
    Ugh, getting these carpenterbugs for the Wroggi Armor is really annoying. The internets say zone 2, 4, and 10 in sandy plains, but all I ever get is thunderbugs and other useless nonsense.

Is Wroggi armor worth it for a switch axe user? I'm not super sure what skills I should be going for. Currently in Jaggi armor if that matters.

Yes it's worth it I use the Wroggi armor a lot, for carpenter bugs just hit zone 4 in D. Island in the Felyne cave over and over. Sometimes you'll get 0-1 sometimes you'll get 3-4 in one run

NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
    So...if this list is accurate, then I only need Thunder on the Tundra to get my urgent.

This quest will not appear for me...why? I have four pages of quests but not that one. And no urgent.

I think the value of Wroggi armor is in in Negate Poison, though you'll appreciate not having to sharpen as often. There's not really any "OMG YES" skills for Switch Axe that early. Good SA skills are all the stuff that's good for everyone (attack up, defense up, anything with more crits or damage or sharpness or so on), and then Focus (which makes your phial fill faster = more sword) and anything to do with evasion.

liEt3nH.png
  • KriegaffeKriegaffe Registered User regular

I got all my Carpenterbugs from Sandy Plains. I'd head out to farm Qurupeco, and just hit up every bug point on the way. I'm sure Zone 1 would drop a few in addition to the others.

I'm using a Pecospander SA and Wroggi gear at the moment. The Sharpness makes it so I rarely need to sharpen before the monster flees to another zone , and I'm expecting the Negate Poison to help with the upcoming Gigganox fight. I haven't slotted any decorations in yet either. (Suggestions?)

Nothing in Wroggi can be upgraded to a +15 so just pick something that gives you +2 to stuff to throw in all 5 slots. I picked up Perception so I could see immediately when monsters were captureable.

liEt3nH.png

Go the Moga village and enter the forest in free hunt. Go into the cave from the mid river entrance, and immediately turn right. You'll see a small hole in the wall leading to a felyne den. There is a small bug farming spot there worth about three shots, but there is almost ALWAYS a carpenterbug there.

Matthew wrote: »

Go the Moga village and enter the forest in free hunt. Go into the cave from the mid river entrance, and immediately turn right. You'll see a small hole in the wall leading to a felyne den. There is a small bug farming spot there worth about three shots, but there is almost ALWAYS a carpenterbug there.

• RendRend Registered User regular
    Screw you, Qurupeco.

• Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    Rend wrote: »
    Screw you, Qurupeco.

Accurate. That stupid backwards jump with the fire attack is super shitty.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • ElinElin Registered User regular
    Trying to help my husband get a fearsome maw. I've gotten 4, he's gotten none. I hate that fight.

Switch SW-5832-5050-0149
    PSN Hypacia
    Xbox HypaciaMinnow
    Discord Hypacia#0391
    Screw you, Qurupeco.

I killed him on my first try after a truly hellish 48 minutes.

God DANG.

• Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    Screw you, Qurupeco.

God DANG.
    How the hell did you manage to take 48 minutes? It was like a 10 minute fight for me! That must have been awful

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
    edited April 2013
    Screw you, Qurupeco.

God DANG.
    How the hell did you manage to take 48 minutes? It was like a 10 minute fight for me! That must have been awful

In the following order, I:

1. Forgot to empty my inventory before the fight
    2. Didn't have any raw meat
    3. Fought a great Jaggi, and accidentally used both of my cool drinks
    4. Found Qurupeco, but missed both of my paint balls, like an idiot.
    5. Chased him around until I became tired, as he succeeded in outrunning me and flying away no less than 7 times
    5.5. No paint ball. This took me FOREVER.
    6. Had to hunt some monsters to get raw meat and grill it
    7. Proved how bad I was at grilling meat, burning over half of my haul.
    8. Realized that he is healing himself
    9. Finally finished him off

Rend on
  • DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular
    Screw you, Qurupeco.

God DANG.

New players :D First time I fought him was a pain in the ass (I'm still a new player mind you I'm only just now in HR)

NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
    Screw you, Qurupeco.

God DANG.

New players :D First time I fought him was a pain in the ass (I'm still a new player mind you I'm only just now in HR)

Oh if I'd actually remembered to prepare it wouldn't have been nearly as long. It was the dumb mistakes of omission, not my newb mistakes, that got me.

sometimes i wish i could just take the mind of someone new to MH, right after they finally get a monster for the first time

and just implant the knowledge of say

g-rank crimson quropeco in their head

i'd love to see their unadulterated horror

liEt3nH.png