Options

QUILTBAG USA (and elsewhere): Skim Milk Marriage for Everyone! (it's the gay thread)

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Identities? GSI? Which was my school's version of TA (graduate student instructor), but I'll get around it.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    Blackjack wrote: »
    There's a push among psychologists in London to replace all other terms (LGBT, QUILTBAG, etc) with the more "all-encompassing" GSD. Gender and Sexual Diversities.

"D" is all too often seen as "disorder."

The DSM is taking out GID for just that very reason.

Yes.

GSD sounds like a disease.

I suggest we stick with GLBT.

• Options
    Or LGBT

If lesbians want to be first I'm OK with that, but I expect them to hold the door open for me because that's how we roll in the south.

• Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    I vote for BLTG.

It looks like a sandwich from California.

• Options
    I vote for BLTG.

It looks like a sandwich from California.

It hasn't been used that way so it carries all the problems of re-branding.

We don't need to rebrand, we don't need to fight with each other to pick the most possible inclusive acronym, nor do we need to constantly re-imagine this umbrella until it loses all fucking meaning. (Why not EWFDBAPWFTS? Everyone Who Feels Different But Also People Who Feel The Same, it's perfect right? It's totally inclusive. And has no meaning at all).

But really.

QUILTBAG looks and sounds dumb.

Inclusiveness kind of loses some of its oomph if it has to carry a stigmatic term around with it like last years hand bag.

• Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    There's nothing wrong with using LGBT or GLBT or QUILTBAG, and it's silly to make using either sound like a bad thing.

Sweeney Tom on
  • Options
    There's nothing wrong with using LGBT or GLBT or QUILTBAG, and it's silly to make using either sound like a bad thing.

Oh it's not wrong.

It just sounds bad.

But I stand behind the idea that what we need right now in the movement is not a round of inclusive re-branding of our terminology. Now is the time to just push for civil rights because we're about to get them.

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    yeah, in a similar way that a "D" at the end of an acronym make people think disorder, ending a term that describes with "-bag" makes it sound like a pejorative.

dirtbag, scumbag, windbag, hoe-bag, sleazebag, etc. etc. There are lots of them.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    KalTorak wrote: »
    yeah, in a similar way that a "D" at the end of an acronym make people think disorder, ending a term that describes with "-bag" makes it sound like a pejorative.

dirtbag, scumbag, windbag, hoe-bag, sleazebag, etc. etc. There are lots of them.

Yeah. I wonder if the term isn't deliberately meant to sound unflattering.

Like a joke that went over the heads of the people who picked up on it.

• Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    There's a push among psychologists in London to replace all other terms (LGBT, QUILTBAG, etc) with the more "all-encompassing" GSD. Gender and Sexual Diversities.

"D" is all too often seen as "disorder."

The DSM is taking out GID for just that very reason.

Well, as I understand it, it's actually being taken out because there is nothing specifically wrong with someone who's got... well, gender identity disorder. Just like you wouldn't treat (anymore) someone who's gay and struggling with it for their gayness, you'd treat them for the bad social anxiety an such feelings that come with it. Similarly, someone presents with a shitload of issues relating to being transgendered, you're treating the dysphoria (and associated baggage) rather than treating their transgendered..ness. Hence, changing gender identity disorder to gender dysphoria.

It's complicated because of the additional wrench of the actual dysphoria, but the gender identity isn't really an issue in and of itself, so it's silly to have it as a disorder.

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    KalTorak wrote: »

Yeah. I wonder if the term isn't deliberately meant to sound unflattering.

Like a joke that went over the heads of the people who picked up on it.

Did... did we just find the LGBT version of "teabagging/teabaggers"?

They were so proud, and yet it worked on so many levels.

Those were beautiful times.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    WHOOOOOO

By a vote of 77-44 The marriage Equality Law has passed and become the law in NZ!!!

Making us the 13th country to do so!

I can't wait for you all to see the video! Right after the vote was announced, there was general cheering and then the whole parliament and those in the gallery starting singing this gorgeous Maori song. Goosebumps!

• Options
    exisexis Registered User regular
    It's a pretty great feeling seeing how excited folks are on facebook about this. Feels good to be a kiwi :)

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited April 2013
    Here we go! An article!

lonelyahava on
  • Options
    exisexis Registered User regular
  • Options
    I can only awesome that post once @Exis.

Thanks for finding the video!

• Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    Congratulations you guys.

• Options
    zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular
    This forum is one of the only places I've ever heard the QUILTBAG acronym - it's always LGBT when I've seen it as sort of a universal 'umbrella'.

I don't see QUILTBAG sticking, and my $.02 is that LGBT is going to stick, even though it may not be completely correct or right, just because it's well known. Kind of like how NAACP is for 'colored people' even though that term hasn't been used for two generations and isn't even an accurate identifier anymore.

Rebranding is going to take more effort than just keeping the current branding everyone already gets. You're never really going to comprehensively categorize everything that covers every place on (all of the sexual / gender) spectrums, nor are you going to get complete agreement of what is inclusive...so just stick to what most people recognize and know already.

• Options
    zagdrob wrote: »
    This forum is one of the only places I've ever heard the QUILTBAG acronym - it's always LGBT when I've seen it as sort of a universal 'umbrella'.

I don't see QUILTBAG sticking, and my $.02 is that LGBT is going to stick, even though it may not be completely correct or right, just because it's well known. Kind of like how NAACP is for 'colored people' even though that term hasn't been used for two generations and isn't even an accurate identifier anymore.

Rebranding is going to take more effort than just keeping the current branding everyone already gets. You're never really going to comprehensively categorize everything that covers every place on (all of the sexual / gender) spectrums, nor are you going to get complete agreement of what is inclusive...so just stick to what most people recognize and know already.

EWFDBAPWFTS

It's so inclusive that even if you feel that it is not the most inclusive it still includes you

• Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    The more everyone whines about the thread title the less I want to change it.

camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    The more everyone whines about the thread title the less I want to change it.

Proof positive that quilters all have perverse senses of humor.

• Options
    Stop being so quiltist

camo_sig2.png

• Options
    Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    Kind of reminds me of that Twitter (?) issue where people would just start saying they were the most off the wall stuff. Something something otherkin or whatever? Like being a gay furry (or whatnot) wasn't enough, they had to be a gay furry who really a Transformer 'inside'. Was pretty weird.

Magus` on
  • Options
    Stop being so quiltist

I can't help it, I inherited my parents regressive stitch pattern

• Options
    edited April 2013
    To be fair.

Transformers are really fucking awesome. And apparently so is Maurice Williamson.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCDEiaoEP2U&feature=player_embedded

Viskod on
  • Options
    11 countries with legalized marriage equality to start 2013

Grows to 13 within a week, will be at least 14-15 by the end of summer

To quote the McDonalds slogan, I'm loving it!

• Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    "Cisgendered" is a neologism I approve of. It's non-silly sounding, and I think it would be weird to not have a word for non-trans? It would kind of imply that trans is an affliction, an abberation. Imagine if there wasn't a word for "straight" or "white".

wandering on
  • Options
    wandering wrote: »
    "Cisgendered" is a neologism I approve of. It's non-silly sounding, and I think not having a word for non-trans would imply that trans is lesser. Other. An affliction. Imagine if there wasn't a word for "straight" or "white".

Something can differ from the norm without being an affliction.

It's also OK to state the fact that gender and sex aligning at birth is the norm without being worse than hitler.

• Options
    And it's okay to have a phrase that means "gender and sex aligned at birth." Lots of things are okay.

camo_sig2.png

• Options
    And it's okay to have a phrase that means "gender and sex aligned at birth." Lots of things are okay.

Of course it's fine to have a term for it.

It's not fine to tell people that is how they must self-identify, and suggest that they are callous and insensitive if they decline to do so.

And yeap, that's happened to me on this board.

• Options
    edited April 2013
    For the first time transgender people will be able to run for office in Pakistan’s general elections with their gender identity recognized, and, so far, two trans women have applied to stand for positions in their local constituencies.

Sweeney Tom on
  • Options
  • Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    "Cisgendered" is a neologism I approve of. It's non-silly sounding, and I think not having a word for non-trans would imply that trans is lesser. Other. An affliction. Imagine if there wasn't a word for "straight" or "white".

It's also OK to state the fact that gender and sex aligning at birth is the norm without being worse than hitler.

Yeah, but when you're in a conversation about transgenderism, it is kind of useful to have a value-free word like "cis" to use in place of "normal"

Alternately we could use the word muggle instead of cis-

Now that would really recast the whole gender norms conversation

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    Kana wrote: »

Yeah, but when you're in a conversation about transgenderism, it is kind of useful to have a value-free word like "cis" to use in place of "normal"

Transfolk are well-versed in the Engorgio, Erecto, and Evanesco spells. They just take a long time to work.

• Options
    Kana wrote: »

Ewwwww.

Now I am not nor have i ever advocated describing some people as "normal" and others as "abnormal".

That is obviously and usually intentionally offensive.

Although obviously there are certain facts at hand, such as the fact that heterosexuality is greatly predominant over homosexuality, that lead to the use of the word "norm" or "normal" but some common sense should be used when deciding if someone is being an asshole or not in those cases.

As for the muggle thing, it might be meant as a joke but it is rather revealing about the people who do use the term (oh and these people exist).

And I don't mean revealing like "lol nerds" I mean it like "whoa fuck are you really that insecure that you need to do that to the language just to feel a little bit special?"

• Options
    JurgJurg In a TeacupRegistered User regular
    Magus` wrote: »
    Kind of reminds me of that Twitter (?) issue where people would just start saying they were the most off the wall stuff. Something something otherkin or whatever? Like being a gay furry (or whatnot) wasn't enough, they had to be a gay furry who really a Transformer 'inside'. Was pretty weird.

I've only ever seen it on Tumblr. I'm not normally an advocate of telling people what they are or are not, but in the case of otherkin, no, you're a human. Quit using the mechanisms of social justice to be a goose.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    Oh yeah, Tumblr. That was it. Was very odd.

• Options
    AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    edited April 2013
    Jurg wrote: »
    Magus` wrote: »

I've only ever seen it on Tumblr. I'm not normally an advocate of telling people what they are or are not, but in the case of otherkin, no, you're a human. Quit using the mechanisms of social justice to be a goose.

Unintentional pun?

Anyway, I really really wish that QUILTBAGgers would be the first group in the history of groups to climb to the top of the social ladder, turn around, and give the people behind them a hand up instead of a boot to the fucking face. How it is that, knowing personally the pain of being told that you're not who you say you are, people can still somehow refuse to accept other people for who they are in turn, I just don't know.

Astaereth on
    ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    Who is behind us?

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    MuddBudd wrote: »
    Who is behind us?

The otherkin.

This discussion has been closed.