As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[The Devil is a Part-Timer] The MgRib is back

• Options
    RchanenRchanen Registered User regular
    I'm sure I'm not the only one who would be disappointed if they didn't turn Holy Potter into an actual series.

As long as there are no extended stays in tents.

• Options
    BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    Maou/Satan is actually kind of an interesting character to me. You have to keep in mind that his original plans for our world were to show up, steamroll us and return to Ente Isla with an army big enough to take back all his stuff.

So now he's in this situation where things are actually difficult and he's had to struggle for something for probably the first time in his life. He seems to find the whole experience incredibly novel and entertaining.

PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."
  • Options
    FalxFalx Registered User regular
    So regarding the alphabet posted earlier, they managed to completely translate the Enta Isla language.

ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
               ↓
    AZYXEWVTISRLPNOMQKJHUGFDCB

Basically it's English with this alphabet. All the vowels remain the same but most of the consonants get swapped so:

Hello = Tello

Goodbye = Vooxzce

World = Fokx

• Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    Episode 3:

Despite my earlier mini-rant about tired Anime jokes, I did get a laugh when Emi analyzed Chiho's attire only to stumble once she took notice of her significant bust size.

That's when I realized that it's the delivery of the voice actors that makes the jokes in this show. If it were to get a dub it would have to meet the same standards, otherwise the jokes wouldn't work as well.
    Beezel wrote: »
    Maou/Satan is actually kind of an interesting character to me. You have to keep in mind that his original plans for our world were to show up, steamroll us and return to Ente Isla with an army big enough to take back all his stuff.

So now he's in this situation where things are actually difficult and he's had to struggle for something for probably the first time in his life. He seems to find the whole experience incredibly novel and entertaining.

I would love it if it turned out the twist for Maou was just like that Sergeant Hatred episode of The Venture Bros.
    In which Hatred is assigned to be Rusty's new arch-nemesis, but proceeds to treat him kindly in order to piss off The Monarch.

Maou will earn an honest wage, save people from earthquakes, rescue kittens from trees and perform all manner of heroic deeds....because he knows it will drive Emi insane.

• Options
    Episode 6
    They dialed it back down this episode and went back to mostly comedy. This show is a reaction face goldmine btw. I was kind of worried at the title and thought Maou was going to enroll in high school. Thankfully that didn't happen! Story kind of unfolded like an episode of scooby doo with funnier gags. Lucifer's already grown on me as a spoiled, snotty brat.

• Options
    Episode 6
    They dialed it back down this episode and went back to mostly comedy. This show is a reaction face goldmine btw. I was kind of worried at the title and thought Maou was going to enroll in high school. Thankfully that didn't happen! Story kind of unfolded like an episode of scooby doo with funnier gags. Lucifer's already grown on me as a spoiled, snotty brat.

That must have been one hell of a
    photo.

• Options
    Saw episode 5 last night.
    So I guess they're going for a "no one dies" scenario in this series, even with enemies. Kind of an interesting setup despite all the collateral damage caused during the fights.

It gives me a Bastard! vibe, and certainly makes Maou look like a really capable, really powerful Overlord if he can simultaneously save all the humans, repair all the damage done and even have his enemies at his complete mercy. Although part of me wonders if this might be veering too much into Marty Stu territory. Emi's two cohorts just arrived in Tokyo, and minutes later they're easily convinced Maou is a good guy.

I'm really hoping there's no big twist that justifies Maou's behavior, like he was hit with a good guy magic spell or some other contrived reason. I much prefer the idea that the act of living like a mere mortal is a new and interesting thrill to him, and he's doing it out of impulse rather than because helping people gives him a funny feeling in his heart.

Also, I thought it was both confusing and funny how in one scene Emi is having a conversation with Chiho, and then one frame later she's got her in a hug for some reason. Just found that oddly amusing.

And I am rooting for a Chiho/Maou outcome, and that Emi/Maou never gets considered.

• Options
    So I guess they're going for a "no one dies" scenario in this series, even with enemies. Kind of an interesting setup despite all the collateral damage caused during the fights.

It gives me a Bastard! vibe, and certainly makes Maou look like a really capable, really powerful Overlord if he can simultaneously save all the humans, repair all the damage done and even have his enemies at his complete mercy. Although part of me wonders if this might be veering too much into Marty Stu territory. Emi's two cohorts just arrived in Tokyo, and minutes later they're easily convinced Maou is a good guy.

I'm really hoping there's no big twist that justifies Maou's behavior, like he was hit with a good guy magic spell or some other contrived reason. I much prefer the idea that the act of living like a mere mortal is a new and interesting thrill to him, and he's doing it out of impulse rather than because helping people gives him a funny feeling in his heart.

Also, I thought it was both confusing and funny how in one scene Emi is having a conversation with Chiho, and then one frame later she's got her in a hug for some reason. Just found that oddly amusing.

And I am rooting for a Chiho/Maou outcome, and that Emi/Maou never gets considered.

Marty Stu or not you gotta admit that psychic stare curbstomp was pretty baller

• Options

I do admit it and in fact replayed it three times in a row.

• Options
    Episode 6 is up on Hulu and Funimation finally.

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Episode 6 is up on Hulu and Funimation finally.

This is what we call Latecasting. Airs at what is the equalivent of miday Wednesday and fansubbers have their v1s by the evening.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular

To what are you referring exactly? Don't really recall this.

Episode 6:
    Quality top notch gags, the whole way through.

Also, what is with every anime having an old school building with 7 mysteries. Like, is this a thing they actually have in Japan, or is it just such an old plot that everyone can use it non-ironically?

• Options

Episode 6:

Also, what is with every anime having an old school building with 7 mysteries. Like, is this a thing they actually have in Japan, or is it just such an old plot that everyone can use it non-ironically?

It's a combination of both, as far as I can tell... but it's also due to the Japanese's propensity to list things. They love grouping things into categories and top ten lists.

• Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    Falx wrote: »

[spoiler/spoiler]

Episode 6:

It's a combination of both, as far as I can tell... but it's also due to the Japanese's propensity to list things. They love grouping things into categories and top ten lists.

I don't think it's just the Japanese; most people seem to like lists.

• Options
    Falx wrote: »

[spoiler/spoiler]

Episode 6:

I don't think it's just the Japanese; most people seem to like lists.

They take it to another level. Some of the most popular shows on television there are all about ranking and collecting things into categories. There's Shakespeare's Four Great Tragedies, the Three Great Soups, the Three Great Delicacies, the Three Great Views of Japan, the Three Great Guitarists.

Their name for the Great Lakes in North America is The Five Great Lakes. They need to list everything.

Cracked has nothing on them.

• Options
    This was also a thing in Kingdom Hearts II and a few other JRPGs. Seems to be a Japanese highschool urban legends thing.

Also, having finished episode 6...
    That Chiho fanservice (in the credits)...

• Options
    the production staff already has their favorite it seems

• Options
    Their favorite to whore out market, anyway.
    I like her too, fanservice aside. Her expressions are the best.

• Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    One of my favorite animes in awhile.

Genuinely funny too!

Only 13 episodes is a shame, hope it does gangbusters in japan and they whore out into new seasons.

Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    AlazullAlazull Your body is not a temple, it's an amusement park. Enjoy the ride.Registered User regular
    Episode 6 was great. I love the fact that this show engages tropes and still manages to be genuinely funny.

User name Alazull on Steam, PSN, Nintenders, Epic, etc.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Alazull wrote: »
    Episode 6 was great. I love the fact that this show engages tropes and still manages to be genuinely funny.
    Ashiya's last words to Satan in Episode 5 when he thought he was going to die were reminding him to eat on discount day.

That was pretty fantastic. They sidestepped the cheesy sentimentality of a fakeout death with a great joke.

Dr. Chaos on
  • Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    I haven't laughed this hard to an anime since FMP? FUMOFFU and My Bride is a Mermaid. It's so nice when humor's understated

I have a total soft spot for that show too, but I'm not sure understated is how I would describe its comedy

Oh also @Professor Snugglesworth have you watched Kannagi? You might like it, it's got great comedic timing.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    And I am rooting for a Chiho/Maou outcome
    Isn't she a lil too young for him?

I know this japan and all but still.

• Options
    Anyhoo starting to watch this show now thanks to the thread. 5 minutes in.

I... I kinda wanna go rewatch Record of Lodoss War now...

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »

Leaving aside the whole devil thing, I believe there is only a two year human difference between the two.

It's a bit hard to imagine since at times she looks like Orihime's 12 year old sister...minus the one obvious trait they both share.

• Options
    edited May 2013
    Episode 1 done
    I think my favorite joke was just when one of the customers requests "a smile!" from the moeblob

Just the baaarely audible "Hhhhhnnnnnnrrrrrrrggg" she makes was perfectly done

EDIT: Episode 2!
    Ahaha, Hero Emilia has turned into creepy stalker girlfriend.
    And evil henchman is so touched that someone says something nice about his cooking
    Everyone's just so disappointed that their evil/holy rival is lame now
    Also wow, Emilia's coworker is coming on a little strong, ain't she? Take a hint, girl.

Kana on
  • Options
    100 yen sword!

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Kana wrote: »
    Anyhoo starting to watch this show now thanks to the thread. 5 minutes in.

I... I kinda wanna go rewatch Record of Lodoss War now...

Not SlayerS?

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    I really don't see this turning into a harem. For one, there would need to be at least one more girl

There already is

• Options

Leaving aside the whole devil thing, I believe there is only a two year human difference between the two.

It's a bit hard to imagine since at times she looks like Orihime's 12 year old sister...minus the one obvious trait they both share.

Also this is Japan. As someone once responded to me in the Way of the Samurai 3 thread "Pedobear is practically vanilla in Japan"

Oh and this episode just introduced girl # 3. Sigh. Harem here we come.

I hope they downplay the Harem and maintain the slice of life gags.
    Why I am using my precious magic to bail you out? That line killed me. That and Lucifer sending them to retrieve his psp.

• Options
    edited May 2013
    Also the BBQ speech. I knew it was BBQ but still, brilliant delivery.

Rchanen on
  • Options
    The Dark Citadel's turned into Fort Sausagefest

• Options
    It seems like Short Round is pretty much the official girlfriend, everyone else kinda orbits around Maou but they're not romantically into him or anything.
    Also that girl is way too OK with him being an evil demon. But then she saw Dem Demon Abs
    really I just wanted to call her short round

• Options
    Aaand now I'm all caught up. Poop.

Really surprised by how much I enjoyed it so far. Previous posters are right, it's not like it's especially original or anything, but just the execution of the jokes - from acting to sound design and timing to the animation - is spot on.

Also ep 6 ending credits:
    Fuck yeah, Whispers of the Heart reference!
    2z4crw8.jpg

• Options
    Kana wrote: »
    It seems like Short Round is pretty much the official girlfriend, everyone else kinda orbits around Maou but they're not romantically into him or anything.
    Also that girl is way too OK with him being an evil demon. But then she saw Dem Demon Abs
    really I just wanted to call her short round
    Well she is short.

And they are round.

• Options
    Rchanen wrote: »
    Also the BBQ speech. I knew it was BBQ but still, brilliant delivery.

I actually busted up at that seeing him slip back into "Overlord mode" over something like BBQ

• Options
    AlazullAlazull Your body is not a temple, it's an amusement park. Enjoy the ride.Registered User regular
    Alazull wrote: »
    Ashiya's last words to Satan in Episode 5 when he thought he was going to die were reminding him to eat on discount day.

That was pretty fantastic. They sidestepped the cheesy sentimentality of a fakeout death with a great joke.

Actually,
    He was chastising Maou for renting a video, and imploring him to at least do it on discount day. Like, he just didn't even care that he was dying, but THE BUDGET! Legitimately funny as shit.

User name Alazull on Steam, PSN, Nintenders, Epic, etc.
  • Options
    Episode 3:

Despite my earlier mini-rant about tired Anime jokes, I did get a laugh when Emi analyzed Chiho's attire only to stumble once she took notice of her significant bust size.

That's when I realized that it's the delivery of the voice actors that makes the jokes in this show. If it were to get a dub it would have to meet the same standards, otherwise the jokes wouldn't work as well.

I would love it if it turned out the twist for Maou was just like that Sergeant Hatred episode of The Venture Bros.
    In which Hatred is assigned to be Rusty's new arch-nemesis, but proceeds to treat him kindly in order to piss off The Monarch.

Maou will earn an honest wage, save people from earthquakes, rescue kittens from trees and perform all manner of heroic deeds....because he knows it will drive Emi insane.

You do kind of get the feeling that he does that kind of thing anyway sometimes just to fuck with her.

As far as good guy/bad guy
    Even in first episode it said that he was trying to make a land of peace and prosperity. Just for Demons. I get the feeling that a lot of his previous acts are less. Muhahaha I like hurting people and more "Humans aren't people. Demons are people" Basically an inability to empathize with the other. Now that he has been the other, he can empathize better.

• Options
    "For you, the day Lord Satan graced your village was the most important day of your life. But for me, it was Tuesday....Big Mags are 2 for 2."

• Options
    hanzohanzo Registered User regular
    I've got to say I have been really enjoying this. With all the very serious and depressing (but still good) anime, it is refreshing to have something this hilarious to watch.