As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Metro 2033] Last Light is almost upon us, Artyom..

• Options
    LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    I went through the Library the first time without shooting anyone. It was one of the most terrifying things I've ever done in a game.

• Options
    BotznoyBotznoy Registered User regular
    Lalabox wrote: »
    I went through the Library the first time without shooting anyone. It was one of the most terrifying things I've ever done in a game.

I am currently in the library and I've run out of bullets with which to shoot things. Only got a stack of grenades and the heavy armour.

I'm not making it any further

IZF2byN.jpg

Want to play co-op games? Feel free to hit me up!
  • Options
    LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular
    I hear Last Light doesn't have the stupid ammo shortages of the first.

I'm strangely ok with that.

Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
  • Options
    Botznoy wrote: »
    Lalabox wrote: »

I am currently in the library and I've run out of bullets with which to shoot things. Only got a stack of grenades and the heavy armour.

I'm not making it any further

Stare those bastards in the face. Just keep them in your vision, slowly back away and, when you are able to, just fucking run. It's possible.

• Options
    RchanenRchanen Registered User regular
    The subterranean ones just try to kill you. IIRC

• Options
    Yeah, but you can stealth and run past them. The sleeping ones don't necessarily wake up, and apart from the one at the end, you can avoid pretty much all of them.

• Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    Lanrutcon wrote: »

I hope you're at least not rolling in ammo.

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    Thank you all for your help. My old checkpoint takes me back before I lost all my ammo, and I just saw my first librarian, so that's where I'm at now.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    John ZoidbergJohn Zoidberg Registered User regular
    Started up a new Ranger hard run in anticipation of Last Light.

This time around though I have taken the recommended action of English subtitles and Russian VO. It really does add to the atmosphere of an already thickly coated game.

Xbox Live: Ink Pouch / PSN: Stiff_Ninja / Origin: PAZoidberg / Steam
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Started up a new Ranger hard run in anticipation of Last Light.

This time around though I have taken the recommended action of English subtitles and Russian VO. It really does add to the atmosphere of an already thickly coated game.

Yeah, I did the same thing last night. I've yet to not have a blast playing Metro 2033, and so much of that is the atmosphere.

I'm actually going to turn the English voices back on, but that's because out of the several times I've played, I've had the Russian on in every playthrough but one. I certainly enjoy the Russian, but I want to be able to take some screenshots without having to worry about if I'm missing something in the speech because I haven't played in a while.

As for people having trouble with the Library, 95% of that is people not being patient, not paying attention, and trying to force the game to be a certain way instead of dealing with the way it is. I can cruise through the Library now with a speargun by slaughtering everything, but I've gone through it more than once without any problems without shooting anything. It's simply a matter of not being impatient, doing what the game informs you to do (one of your companions tells you to stare the Librarians down), and not try to run-and-gun your way through all the nasties. Not only is it a tense and interesting experience, it's entirely doable with some modicum of patience and attention. People running out ammo are quite literally playing the section wrong, because you shouldn't be shooting your way through that area with bullet weapons any more than you should try walking through the fanboat section of Half-Life 2 or do a pacifist run of a Dead Space game. And if you insist on shooting your way through, an overcharged speargun and decent aim will get you through no problem because you can collect your spears after every kill.

Now, the part with the exploding amoeba can make anybody try to gnaw their own arm off the first time they come across it and is genuinely a bad spot, but that can be handled nicely once you just whip out the military ammo and go to town. Seriously, once you hit that spot, look up a good way to get through it, because it's just crappy to try and slog through the first time.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    Foolish ChaosFoolish Chaos Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Bethryn wrote: »
    Lanrutcon wrote: »

I hope you're at least not rolling in ammo.

Yeah... but honestly the first game didn't have those shortages anyway, assuming you were actually buying ammo. In my recent playthrough I had so many goddamn bullets it was ridiculous.
    Now, the part with the exploding amoeba can make anybody try to gnaw their own arm off the first time they come across it and is genuinely a bad spot, but that can be handled nicely once you just whip out the military ammo and go to town. Seriously, once you hit that spot, look up a good way to get through it, because it's just crappy to try and slog through the first time.

This was the one section that was really difficult for me. Luckily on ranger difficulty the amoebas just need one dirty round to die, and by that point I had over 1000 of those, so ammo wasn't an issue. The issue was that if one exploded directly next to you, instant death >.<

Foolish Chaos on
  • Options
    Just got through Ghosts and Anomaly.

I absolutely love those sections and I am so glad ( spoilers for anyone on a total blackout )
    that Khan is making a reappearance in Last Light.

• Options
    SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    The volt gun really trivialized Librarians.

s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    finnithfinnith ... TorontoRegistered User regular
    I felt kind of bad for using the Volt Driver on Ranger Easy.

Also, one week later and still jobless. Still about to pre-order Metro 2034 though.

I am weak.

Bnet: CavilatRest#1874
    Steam: CavilatRest
  • Options
    AntithesisAntithesis Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Has anybody else read the preorder comic? It's brief, and starts immediately after 2033.

**Hm, says it takes place between the two *books*, so now I'm just confused.

Antithesis on
  • Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Antithesis wrote: »
    Has anybody else read the preorder comic? It's brief, and starts immediately after 2033.

Metro 2033 was originally a novel that got adapted into a game.

sig.gif
  • Options
    FreiFrei A French Prometheus Unbound DeadwoodRegistered User regular
    the only thing keeping this from being a day one purchase for me is there hasn't really been any actual word/proof on how well they're optimizing the game. Metro 2033 was pretty bad in that regard and my above average PC would chug a lot even when I turned the settings down.

Are you the magic man?
  • Options
    AvistTorchAvistTorch Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    We'll see tomorrow, I guess. I got a new graphics card and received a copy of Last Light free with it. Haven't actually seen much media of it (just 5 minutes of one video), so it'll be interesting for sure.

AvistTorch on
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    I've managed to avoid videos and articles on this so it's all going to be fresh for me.

• Options
    edited May 2013
    Sorce wrote: »
    Sorce wrote: »
    Antithesis wrote: »

Metro 2033 was originally a novel that got adapted into a game.

Hah! Sorry, I meant that I was confused about whether it was supposed to be between the books or between the games, but then I realized that there was no reason it couldn't be for both.

Also, shouldn't this be out now? Steam is saying 23 hours? Even PST is only two more hours to go.

**Ugh, "midnight" on the 13th. So, the 14th.

Antithesis on
  • Options
    wakkawawakkawa Registered User regular
    Trying to replay 2033. Damn game will just crash at the logo screen.

• Options
    edited May 2013
    wakkawa wrote: »
    replay 2033.

You have solved my problem!

(I do not know what would cause a crash there, sorry.)

Antithesis on
  • Options
    BubbyBubby Registered User regular
    First reviews are in. Eurogamer gives it a 7/10, Gamespot a 9/10. Sounds like it's not quite as good as 2033 and is generally a bit more conventional.

• Options
    Blackbird SR-71CBlackbird SR-71C Registered User regular
    Decided to give this another spin. Runs good on my PC, but oh god the screen tearing. I remember this, and I think I found a solution to it prior, but can't find it now. Turning vsync on doesn't help. I wanna say there was a really simple fix for this, but I just cannot remember...

steam_sig.png
    Steam ID: 76561198021298113
    Origin ID: SR71C_Blackbird

• Options
    Bubby wrote: »
    First reviews are in. Eurogamer gives it a 7/10, Gamespot a 9/10. Sounds like it's not quite as good as 2033 and is generally a bit more conventional.

Sounds like Metro 2034 continues the tradition of poorly designed boss fights. Halfway through my pre-load for this in any case.

I always found it funny that Dmitry Glukhovsky chose to make the metro stations a pastiche of Mid/Eastern-European histories. The Hansa, the fascists, the communists, Venice, all fighting for their life under one roof. Perhaps this is just done to make it easier for readers to assign traits to the individual factions, but it obviously comes with its own baggage (I'm going to assume that if given the chance the players and readers of Metro 2033 would align with the Hansa rather than the Red Line or Fascist stations if given the choice).

On the other hand it's likely it's an analogy for Europe itself. All the world under the threat of nuclear war might as well be confined to a single metro line.

• Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Anybody else have the initial reaction, "Which side is which?"

Low looks damn good.

Gaslight on
  • Options
    Gaslight wrote: »
    Anybody else have the initial reaction, "Which side is which?"

Low looks damn good.

Same reaction here. Texture quality is better on Very High and I think the lighting looks more natural. But if you have to run on Low you are still in for a very pretty looking game.

• Options
    edited May 2013
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWimz-duun8

Seems like SSAA is the biggest performance killer here.

John Zoidberg on
  • Options
    Medium DaveMedium Dave Registered User regular
    Patrick over at Giant Bomb dug it, gave it a 4 out of 5.

• Options
    HyperionHyperion Registered User regular
    If I'm about to play Metro 2033 for the first time, what difficulty do you gents recommend? I'm fairly decent with shooters (last one I played was Bioshock Infinite, and I played that on Hard). Ranger mode or not?

XBL: Jhnny Cash PSN: Jhnny_Cash Steam ID: http://steamcommunity.com/id/hypephb 3DS: 0619-4582-9630 Nintendo Network ID: DBrickashaw
    You might know me as D'Brickashaw on Steam.
  • Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    I would recommend Ranger mode. If you explore every nook and cranny in a game, then do Hard; if not do Easy.

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    awww. I was kinda excited about Last light. I mean, I never finished the first one, but that's because the game autosaved me a second before I got blasted in the face with a shotgun, and I didn't want to replay the level, But the FOV is actually a very big problem for me. I cant justify buying it unless that's fixed, and I really did want to buy it.

Well, maybe I should just start the first one over again sometime and hope I don't get a horrible autosave this time.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    After reading the reviews, the game seemed enough of what I liked about metro 2033 to justify $45. But I am still worried, oh so worried... Some of the reviewers had problems with metro 2033 that I cannot sympathize with, so if they fixed these phantom problems in Last Light, I don't really know what to expect.

• Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
  • Options
    I don't get it what's wrong withe the FoV?

• Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    It's aparently rather low, which on the PC can cause issues with people. Motion sickness, headaches, things like that. I am a person who is affected by this. Gives me terrible migraines.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    HyperionHyperion Registered User regular
    Bethryn wrote: »
    I would recommend Ranger mode. If you explore every nook and cranny in a game, then do Hard; if not do Easy.

I do love me some exploration. Might try it on Ranger hard then...thanks for the advice-

XBL: Jhnny Cash PSN: Jhnny_Cash Steam ID: http://steamcommunity.com/id/hypephb 3DS: 0619-4582-9630 Nintendo Network ID: DBrickashaw
    You might know me as D'Brickashaw on Steam.
  • Options
    Updating game :D

How exactly do you access the pre-order stuff anyway? The digital comic/metro 2033 book.

• Options
    DangerbirdDangerbird Registered User regular
    Huh... so I preordered, but the game says I don't have Ranger Mode installed.

What gives?