As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Speed Runs

• Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    TeeMan wrote: »
    Garh I'm working for most of it again! First Christmas and now Speedruns!? *shakes fist* Here's hoping the guy with the worst laugh takes a 10 minute break from interrupting people this time.
    Oh god, I know exactly who you mean.

• Options
    SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    SRG is a delightful wreck its great. nightsky run lulled me to sleep last night

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    As much I loathe Reddit, you can generally expect to find a bunch of links to each run on one page, so you can always catch up on the runs you missed.

Alternatively, you can wait for them to load the runs on YouTube, but uh...let's just say they're still uploading SGDQ 2013 videos as of this week.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Dropping LoadsDropping Loads Registered User regular
    You can go to this page: http://marathon.speeddemosarchive.com/history
    and look through all the previous marathons and download the videos. Not as good for watching on a mobile but way better for at home.

Sceptre: Penny Arcade, where you get starcraft AND marriage advice.
    3clipse: The key to any successful marriage is a good mid-game transition.
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited December 2013
    SUNDAY SUNDAY SUNDAY

Yes, we are less than a week until the big event. Brace yourselves!

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    It's a week-long event? Wow.

• Options
    bssbss Brostoyevsky Madison, WIRegistered User regular
    Arteen wrote: »
    It's a week-long event? Wow.

And that's just the official part. There's also bonus stream, which itself will run for days, approaching a week.

Strap yourself in, dudes.

3DS: 2466-2307-8384 PSN: bssteph Steam: bsstephan Twitch: bsstephan
    Tabletop:13th Age (mm-mmm), D&D 4e
    Occasional words about games: my site
  • Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    Wooo, never been around for one of these before.
    What games can always be expected?

• Options
    RubycatRubycat Registered User regular
    steam_sig.png
    PSN: Rubycat3 / NintentdoID: Rubycat
  • Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    Oh shit good thing I noticed this thread today. I loved the SGDQ I caught in 2013. Glad I can get in on this one day one this time.

• Options
    ZephiranZephiran Registered User regular
    On top of the Bonus Stream, you will also typically get post-AGDQ party streams from the attendants which get home from the event, be it early or late.

The entire event generates months worth of content.

Also, some comments about the scheduled games that caught my eye:

- Jak & Daxter's actually pretty solid as far as glitches go, nothing too mind boggling there, but it's still good to watch.

-The Pikmin 3 run is incredible, the glitches they managed to find in the game are pretty baller in my opinion.

- The Fire Emblem run has a significant chance of getting rekt, especially if Sacred Stones wins the bid war. Gorgons aren't to be fucked with!

- All of the DKC games are sweet runs, but I really hope Hippie gets to do Glitched%, that shit is so dank.

- F-Zero games are cool too, but the DX run is bound to generate mad buttclenches, it's just so tight.

- Everyone's seen OOT madness by now, but Majora's Mask might remain a bit unexplored for a lot of people. It's got a lot of really cool warping glitches, definitely worth checking out. And Bomb Hovers, can't forget about Bomb Hovers!

- Zero Mission's a sweet run, Hard Low% is a buttclench and a half and the "Cleanup" for 100% is just really sweet execution.

Alright and in this next scene all the animals have AIDS.

I got a little excited when I saw your ship.
  • Options
    SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    TMR has been doing a lot of Battletoads practice lately too. They've about got it sub 13 for WR.

• Options
    edited January 2014
    Also, Dank Kank Racing is good shit.

EDIT:

And with that, the stream is up, and we're live and rolling monkeys.

Zephiran on

• Options
    DranythDranyth Surf ColoradoRegistered User regular
    It has begun!

• Options
    Bonesaw hitting all them one-cycles tonight.

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Woo! I didn't realize that today was the 5th!

GET HYPE!

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    Geddat fowdy kay

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    I found it awesome and appropriate.. I went to Twitch.tv, and AGDQ was front page.

45k viewers. First game? of the marathon. And it looks like an awesome crowd.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    Dac VinDac Vin S-s-screw you! I only listen to DOUBLE MUSIC! Registered User regular
    Reimu is on the couch, Blueglass seems to be on site, all is well with the world.

• Options
    The stream's really really jumpy for me. :(

• Options
    Bluegrass is cool, but he seems to call out a bit too much for my tastes, probably because he has a very noticeable voice.

It's not enough to bother me all that much, though. :)

Hmm. Can I donate $5 to the event to get rid of the ads?

Also: Twerking!

• Options
    RubycatRubycat Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    Blueglass sounds really close by, but hes not on camera, so I'm wondering if they gave him his own blueglass mic, or maybe a special seat real close to the donation shoutout mic.
    setting up for crash bandicoot, blueglass spotted

Rubycat on
    steam_sig.png
    PSN: Rubycat3 / NintentdoID: Rubycat
  • Options
    Yeah, he's sitting just off camera to the left (maybe on camera now?) -- second row. And the announcer table is over there.

• Options
    Holy shit, Viewtiful Joe is hilarious to watch.

• Options
    zip zoop zabbidy boop

• Options
    I greatly enjoy when the person playing is capable of talking/has a good stage presence as well.

And now to bow out for a bit, as I don't want Pikmin 3 spoiled.

• Options
    And in the following game, we get to experience an elaborate exposé as to why the best kind of monkey is a rolling monkey.

We will be seeing more evidence for this axiom as the show continues.

• Options
    Miles is Godlike at this game. I mean, the other people racing are good, but just watch Miles completely and utterly TEAR SHIT UP.

• Options
    It's amusing to see the cutscenes when the player is a grown-ass adult.

• Options
    edited January 2014
    As fun as it is to watch all this good shit, I do find it a bit of a shame that nobody seems to have gotten the idea to move a microphone closer to the Couch. The runners, and the people co-commentating, sound very muted. I hope someone gets the idea to move up a microphone during one of the cable untangling breaks.

Also, FrankerZ.

http://tehurn.com/frankerz

#BoneMom

Zephiran on

• Options
    Yep can't hear the commentators or anything unless your volume is way up too high.

• Options
    They're using lavalieres clipped to their shirts, at least 4 of them. I doubt they have any professional sound guys there, or even anything to listen post-mix.

• Options
    I don't have any problems. :?

• Options
    edited January 2014
    cB557 wrote: »
    I don't have any problems. :?

The stream is about 1/3 as loud as a typical Youtube video, or about on par with a Giant Bomb vid last time I watched them.

Athenor on
  • Options
    Yeah, the video's quite compared to the average video, but it's no big deal. The trick going around to use VLC to watch the stream gives you more audio control (and less Twitch player lag). The lavalieres are an improvement over recent GDQs in any event.

• Options
    bss wrote: »
    Yeah, the video's quite compared to the average video, but it's no big deal. The trick going around to use VLC to watch the stream gives you more audio control (and less Twitch player lag). The lavalieres are an improvement over recent GDQs in any event.
    What's this about a VLC streaming thingy?

• Options
    It's a closed VPN that transmits red-ray disk data. A good alternative to the standard flux capacitor.

• Options
    SkutSkut wrote: »

Someone wrote a Python application that proxies Twitch, etc. steams and launches VLC or whatever. Since it looks like the Twitch app does some aggressive buffering and adds some delays, this is more like a raw feed of the stream.

• Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    Athenor wrote: »
    They're using lavalieres clipped to their shirts, at least 4 of them. I doubt they have any professional sound guys there, or even anything to listen post-mix.

Or in the case of this Kirby speedrunner, one clipped to his junk.

• Options
    DranythDranyth Surf ColoradoRegistered User regular
    SkutSkut wrote: »

Someone wrote a Python application that proxies Twitch, etc. steams and launches VLC or whatever. Since it looks like the Twitch app does some aggressive buffering and adds some delays, this is more like a raw feed of the stream.

Yeah, this might not help that much since it hasn't been updated since Twitch's backend change, but a guy made a Chrome extension to add quality links to Twitch pages that will automatically launch Livestreamer in VLC, it's at http://forum.gamesports.net/dota/showthread.php?30619-Watching-Twitch-tv-in-VLC-Player-HOWTO

I think if you just go into the directory you install it to and replace the Livestreamer folder with the newest version of Livestreamer from @bss's link it might work just fine with the Best quality link. I also went in just yesterday to the Javascript file that adds the links and fixed/renamed them so it works for Mobile/Low/Med/High now for me as well. Since the qualities used to be called 360p/480p/720p/1080p, they weren't working, only the Best quality link was.

At any rate, I've definitely been having some rebuffering problems with Twitch lately, even through VLC, I'm pretty sure it's just on Twitch's end, not really much can be done.