As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Xbox One Thread in which we don't discuss Used Games.

StericaSterica YesRegistered User, Moderator mod
edited May 2013 in Games and Technology
INSERT XBOX ONE IMAGE HERE]

Welcome to the Xbox One thread! It's going to be a bit...empty for now, I'll fill this OP out around E3 time.

The Rules Which You Better Read
  • This is not a thread to defend your favorite hardware maker, nor is it one to shit over other hardware makers. This forum tends to be better about fan-silliness, but a lot of you tend to get all hot and bothered if anyone besmirches the House of Plumber. Appropriate and sincere comparisons are fine, but we don't need any dramatics. This includes tired memes like "lolsony" and the dreaded "M$".
  • WE ARE NOT DISCUSSING THE XBOX ONE'S PURPORTED INABILITY TO PLAY USED GAMES.
  • This thread is not intended to be permanent. The most likely situation is that we'll give you the holiday season to enjoy the new toy Santa got you, and then this thread gets shut down. Exceptions have been made for hardware that's been struggling and cannot maintain a lot of active threads on specific games. The XBox One is likely not going to have that problem, so don't get attached to this thread.
  • These rules are to be posted in every subsequent thread.

Facts

TBA

YL9WnCY.png
Sterica on

• Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    So I've heard that Dragon Age 3 and Respawn's new thing is due to be shown, any other rumours?

Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    Death of RatsDeath of Rats Registered User regular
    Giant Bomb is going to have commentary over the presentation. Use that to decide if you want to watch that way (I do).

No I don't.
  • Options
    TommattTommatt Registered User regular
    Is there a reason it's Tuesday? I mean, business wise,

• Options
    SemiHollowCarrotSemiHollowCarrot Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    All I want is to see what's up with the rumored MS/Xbox branded television service.

If it's neat I might buy my first console in....... well I don't know but several years at least.

SemiHollowCarrot on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    This forum tends to be better about fan-silliness, but a lot of you tend to get all hot and bothered if anyone besmirches the House of Plumber.

Roto-Rooter for life, yo.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    Tommatt wrote: »

Tuesday? No. The time of day, however, was chosen to maximise European exposure, otherwise they'd miss the news cycle due to time zone differences. I've seen some people complain it is at an inconvenient/unusual time for American audiences, but that's just how it goes.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Though the time is horrible for the Japanese Xbox audience.

...all seven of them.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Thing I'm most interested in hearing, hopefully, is MS getting on board with being more open and fair to indie developers.

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Henroid wrote: »
    Thing I'm most interested in hearing, hopefully, is MS getting on board with being more open and fair to indie developers.
    A lot of indies jumped ship to Steam, so I think they might have a system in place that isn't complete horseshit.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    A lot of indies jumped ship to Steam, so I think they might have a system in place that isn't complete horseshit.

I have a feeling that MS isn't going to let up entirely on its certification process though. The annoying shit about how you have to have a "PRESS START" prompt and such.

Edit - Oh god, I just realized that's why Monaco has a "press space bar" prompt, it's XBL counterpart needs to have that. XD

Henroid on
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    I liked the original xbox controllers, but I think I'm like the only person

wonder if there will be more info about this DRM/used game business on the 21st.

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    If there is, it's certainly not going to be part of the media brouhaha. It'll be quietly mentioned in a press package or something.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    I really wish that their codename was Canyonero

• Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    Tommatt wrote: »

Generally, you don't want to make big announcements on Monday, Friday, or the weekend. That leaves Tuesday-Thursday as optimum announcement times.

• Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    I really wish that their codename was Canyonero

With one of these slapped on the packaging:

wARNLqR.png

FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    Any new console will have to be pretty god damned impressive if it wants to make up for not being able to play used games. I just can't drop 60 bucks on new releases with regularity, and if I'm not going to be able to buy many games for the thing, there's no real reason to own it in the first place.

• Options
    farbekriegfarbekrieg Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Well it should integrate with the rest of your household devices right. Like your toaster... damn sexy toasters...

If they have a feature that allows you to steal your neighbors wifi it might be worth it. (built in packet sniffer thing going, so it just says hey there are 7 wireless connections and you dont even have to input a passcode for them... because we assume you wouldnt leech anyones elses internet. yeaaaah.... thats the ticket but that 20-50 bucks you were spending on internet could definitely get you our jewel encrusted gold plated xbox live account righ)t?

farbekrieg on
  • Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular

I have a feeling that MS isn't going to let up entirely on its certification process though. The annoying shit about how you have to have a "PRESS START" prompt and such.

Isn't this actually just a legacy from the Obox days where it was there so that the game could figure out which controller was the primary, since they were wired controllers back then and Microsoft required that any of them could be the primary regardless of which port it was plugged into?

I guess I'm not sure why it's necessary any more even for 360 games.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    I can't fathom a system where, after a point in time, it will be literally impossible to get a game for the system.

A time where, eventually, all games are either sold and used (and therefore cannot be used on any other console) or disposed of.

I mean, every single gaming system made and released, since the dawn of the home console, you can still get games on the secondary market. And of course, after such a long period of time, the earliest ones are all used copies.

• Options
    Shady3011Shady3011 Registered User regular
    Pizza time!

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Did the DivX ever have a copy of Space Ace released for it?

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    So I've heard that Dragon Age 3 and Respawn's new thing is due to be shown, any other rumours?

They will probably show the next Forza and Ryse from Crytek. The latter is a good excuse to show CryEngine 3 on the console.

Battlefield 4, EA Sports stuff, Watch_Dogs, maybe Rainbow 6: Patriots, CoD and Destiny.

I don't doubt they show a Halo 5 teaser at the end. That's like the free spot on the bingo card of the presentation. :)

Also, the death of Microsoft Points seems imminent.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
  • Options
    Rorus, Gametrailers will stream the event and Keighley will interview Don Mattrick at the end. IGN will have a stream too with Molyneux commenting.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Outside of showing games, the one feature I hope Microsoft announces is a change to the way Xbox Live Gold works. Make it more like PS Plus or something, where you are paying for bonuses, not things that are free to use elsewhere. If they drop the paywall for online multiplayer I will be significantly more interested in their product, and needing Gold for things like Netflix on top of already having to pay for Netflix still makes no sense.

As far as games, I have no clue what they intend to show, so that will be interesting to watch their live stream just to see what they have up their sleeve.

(She/Her)
  • Options
    ShatterShockShatterShock Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    CoD Ghosts is the only game confirmed for the event so far; everything else is only a rumor.

As I've said elsewhere, what I want to see out of the presentation (and the E3 show) are games. Exclusive, first/second party titles that I will only be able to play on the Xbox. I don't need Microsoft's console to play CoD, Assassin's Creed, Watch_Dogs, GTA and so on but I know that there will be multiple games that I will need a Playstation 4 to play. I'd love to see Crimson Skies, Perfect Dark, Crackdown, Shadow Complex and PGR given another chance but only PGR has been rumored to make a return. More Gears, Halo, Forza and Fable won't excite me.

Also, more multimedia options mean nothing to me. As long as I get Netflix, YouTube, a browser and a video rental app, I'm satisfied.

ShatterShock on
  • Options
    SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2013
    I'm interested to see how much they tie the new XBox into the Windows 8 ecosystem. Given their movement towards a consistent look, feel, and function across tablets, phones, and PC, I would be very surprised if they didn't tie their consoles into the same paradigm. Not really interested in the games (PC gamer through and through, unless the heavens open and KBAM becomes a real option for PS4 or XBox), but it should at least show Microsoft's angle going forwards.

Suriko on
  • Options
    Well, Skulls of the Shogun was the start of that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2oB-FMW-Mjo

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    Well, if you look at the current dashboard, it's kinda an early version of 8 anyway.

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    CoD Ghosts is the only game confirmed for the event so far; everything else is only a rumor.

As I've said elsewhere, what I want to see out of the presentation (and the E3 show) are games. Exclusive, first/second party titles that I will only be able to play on the Xbox. I don't need Microsoft's console to play CoD, Assassin's Creed, Watch_Dogs, GTA and so on but I know that there will be multiple games that I will need a Playstation 4 to play. I'd love to see Crimson Skies, Perfect Dark, Crackdown, Shadow Complex and PGR given another chance but only PGR has been rumored to make a return. More Gears, Halo, Forza and Fable won't excite me.

Also, more multimedia options mean nothing to me. As long as I get Netflix, YouTube, a browser and a video rental app, I'm satisfied.

My opinion is strangely almost the opposite. Exclusive games are a fringe benefit for me. I'd like them to focus on the inherent value of the system, not show off how large their cheque book is.

The most impressive aspects of the PS4 so far are not - for me at least - the Sony games but the system itself. The share functionality, the hardware spec, even the industrial design of the thing is appealing.

90% of the games I play on consoles are cross-platform anyway. I think Halo 4 was a top quality game, and over the lifespan of the 360 I have bought perhaps a dozen or so exclusive Xbox games. But they never feel worthwhile as a system seller, especially at launch, when compared to the big publishers' broad suite of multiplatform games.

I mean, my most anticipated titles right now - in the console space - are going to be on both systems guaranteed.

A new Project Gotham would be a tremendous pleasure, but if the entire press conference devotes a lot of time to those exclusive titles, I think it will end up being a bit shallow. Sony have really put the mileage in, so far, with the PS4. The bulk of information so far has been about the system itself, core functionalities. Things that will persist for ten years, not ten days.

• Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    I actually changed my telecommuting day this week because of this.

The thing I'm not looking forward to: the infinity turning sideways to become windows 8 (or vice versa)

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    Rorus, Gametrailers will stream the event and Keighley will interview Don Mattrick at the end. IGN will have a stream too with Molyneux commenting.

That Keighley interview is going to be the softest thing since the dawn of time. Has he ever done a hardball, 'why is this shit you fucking fuckers' type interview? Ever?

I guess now we know why it was an exclusive invite-only event. Microsoft have some bad news they'd like to gloss over, I think.

Here's how I imagine it going:

Interviewer: So, that new feature you just announced. It kinda looks like it sucks. Why is that?

Microsoft Rep: No, not really. It's fantastic. It gives unparalleled choice to the consumer and will really help publishers bring a suite of amazing gameplay experiences right into your living room. We're leading the industry on this one.

Interviewer: Right. But really, and I'm trying to tiptoe around this a little, it seems like on a base level of fundamental understanding it is the most vile and oppressive nightmare ever conceived by man. I'm actually vomiting into my own face just thinking about it. You disgust me. How can you explain this.

Microsoft Rep: We'll have more to talk about at e3. Today's event is just about [this awesome thing that everybody else has but that we also have with a trademarked name].

And then there's nothing at e3 and then bam, it's launch day and the thing rapes my cat's butthole and not a single journalist has asked a direct question about it since March.

• Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Suriko wrote: »
    I'm interested to see how much they tie the new XBox into the Windows 8 ecosystem. Given their movement towards a consistent look, feel, and function across tablets, phones, and PC, I would be very surprised if they didn't tie their consoles into the same paradigm. Not really interested in the games (PC gamer through and through, unless the heavens open and KBAM becomes a real option for PS4 or XBox), but it should at least show Microsoft's angle going forwards.

Given how GFWL turned out, the prospect of them pushing this joint venture further is not an enticing one.

Just re-installed Batman: Arkham City last night. Took me 3 or 4 restarts, two full hours of stop-start downloading (for a 200 MB file), and a marketplace crash to update it and get the DLC I had previously. It's a freaking joke, and that's before you get to the actual problems with MS's PC-side approach to gaming.

The thing that concerns me is if MS starts using their control over the console to try and force games to become Marketplace exclusives.

subedii on
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    I expect if there is an anti used ge feature we will be looking at a flop

Not immediately mind you but 90% of your base trades in games or buys em used and if nobody will take the old flavor of the month thats going to hurt immensely.

Unless new games are chea- hahaha I couldnt even finish typing that.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    If direct to drive purchases become a standard day one thing, I honestly won't care what they do with used games. I'd rather just spend $40 and download it than wait three months and give Gamestop $45.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    If direct to drive purchases become a standard day one thing, I honestly won't care what they do with used games. I'd rather just spend $40 and download it than wait three months and give Gamestop $45.

That's assuming they don't just keep the price at $60 or even crank it up another $10.

I mean considering that with DD a much greater percentage of the profit is freed up to go back to the publisher / developers, it would make sense to lower the price should that become the standard model. The question is whether they'd actually do it and not just keep the prices as they are. Even as it currently stands, they still need to sell games in-store right now, so I can't really see a price drop happening at the moment.

I'm also wondering whether whatever savings on cost wouldn't just be eaten up by whatever nutty production value increases they start trying to push next gen.

• Options
    There's no way it will have an anti-used feature. It's DOA if it does. We're talking Dreamcast levels of disaster, but without the fond memories or affection.

The question is more a case of how far they push towards that line. How much functionality is dependent on a stable connection.

I think that it might be a complex issue to wrap our heads around when it's announced/detailed, as we all try and figure out 'is this evil enough or not quite'. Could be a gray area.

• Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    subedii wrote: »
    OptimusZed wrote: »

That's assuming they don't just keep the price at $60 or even crank it up another $10.

I mean considering that with DD a much greater percentage of the profit is freed up to go back to the publisher / developers, it would make sense to lower the price should that become the standard model. The question is whether they'd actually do it and not just keep the prices as they are. Even as it currently stands, they still need to sell games in-store right now, so I can't really see a price drop happening at the moment.

I'm also wondering whether whatever savings on cost wouldn't just be eaten up by whatever nutty production value increases they start trying to push next gen.
    DtoD Xbox games are almost universally $40 or below currently.

At least all of them that I've seen/purchased.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    Fair enough.

• Options
    Death of RatsDeath of Rats Registered User regular
    I'm really hoping they go for day one digital games. I have a tenancy to sell games when times get tough, and I'd love if that was no longer an option for me. So many games I've never finished because I'm bad at making financial decisions.

No I don't.
  • Options
    The only problem with that is that they're now using BluRay as standard, so instead of games being a rough maximum of 7 gig they're presumably much, much more. Until capacities start being pushed to the limit, that's bandwidth Microsoft will be paying for in lieu of nothing more than developer freedom. Not as much compression, trimming or optimization. Not out of laziness but because why bother. You've got 25 gigs to press anyway, leave in uncompressed 4k FMVs for the two people that can take advantage.

Sony had real hesistance to go full digital with the PS3 for just this reason. Due to the low read speed some games had duplicate data and the conversion process couldn't cut that out for the PSN version.

This discussion has been closed.