As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PAX East 2014 Information & FAQ. READ THIS FIRST THEN ASK QUESTIONS HERE.

• Options
    MagneticImageMagneticImage Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    animeman75 wrote: »
    Is there any disabled parking as I have very strong pains in my back from the cold due to messed up surgery, is there any closer parking? Last year we had to stand outside waiting for a while in the cold for the bus and it hurt so bad.
    I would recommend you valet your car at the BCEC. It was $25 last year and the pickup/dropoff is right next to the entrance of the convention center. Last year, they had a service booth inside where you could request your car so when you walked outside, it was already there.

The parking lot at the BCEC is still a bit of a walk or you will be waiting for a shuttle.

zerzhul on
  • Options
    Leslie_FLeslie_F Registered User new member
    New to PAX this year. My 9 year old can't wait. Wondering how to register/sign him up for the Minecraft Tournament. I assume it is on-site, but wanted a bit more detail.

THX

• Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    Leslie_F wrote: »
    New to PAX this year. My 9 year old can't wait. Wondering how to register/sign him up for the Minecraft Tournament. I assume it is on-site, but wanted a bit more detail.

THX
    All tournaments that are run by PAX have on-site registration. It is usually first thing in the morning the day of the tournament, at the place where the tournament will be held.

• Options
    shepdshepd Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    As for if there are specifically marked disabled spots in the BCEC parking, the answer is a definite yes. However, as MagneticImage stated, they're still so far away as to add no value at all for someone who needs them--in fact, they're further away from where the shuttle bus stops than the non-disabled spots. Use the valet.

You can see them on this map at the front of the lot, they're the ones with the extra "no parking" striped areas in-between. The entrance for the BCEC is literally on the other side facing summer street. The BCEC is about 1/2 mile long. While in the past exceptions have been made to let people in the side doors, ever year they have gotten more strict on that. This year will probably see the strictest enforcement on that rule. I wouldn't expect they'd let you in through any other doors than the front.

https://goo.gl/maps/UgarU

shepd on
  • Options
    mtalmormtalmor Registered User regular
    Speaking of parking... I'm at the Westin for the first time this year. Normally I arrive at the Renaissance on Friday evening and the hotel's parking has spots (I park weekend long)... but the Westin's lot (from my vague memory of another convention there 3 years ago) is smaller methinks. Does it fill up by Friday evening? Is there any point in trying to call the hotel to see what parking solutions they offer, or does someone here know?

• Options
    SinoSambaSinoSamba CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    So TF2 is probably the only game I'm decent enough to try and join a tourney. And there is one on Pax East on Sat.

Noob question: what is the process of joining one of these tourneys? Also I'm going to Pax solo, is that going to keep me from joining it?

Thanks in advance.

3DS FC: 3239-2323-6239
  • Options
    SinoSamba wrote: »
    So TF2 is probably the only game I'm decent enough to try and join a tourney. And there is one on Pax East on Sat.

Noob question: what is the process of joining one of these tourneys? Also I'm going to Pax solo, is that going to keep me from joining it?

Thanks in advance.
    zerzhul wrote: »
    All tournaments that are run by PAX have on-site registration. It is usually first thing in the morning the day of the tournament, at the place where the tournament will be held.
    In this case, the PC area.

• Options
    SinoSambaSinoSamba CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Thanks, Zerzhul!

3DS FC: 3239-2323-6239
  • Options
    JonoseelJonoseel Here Be Unicorns and Dragons Boston, MARegistered User regular
    And badges are starting to arrive!!!!!

Pax Eat Stuff: 3 Day Badges[]; BYOC Badge[]; A Roof to stay under[X]; A ride of some sort[].
  • Options
    krazykidkrazykid Registered User regular
    Does anyone know why they changed the closing time to midnight from 2AM?

I got my tickets in the mail today, and there was a letter with the tickets saying that the show closes at midnight. Kind of sad that it's closing early.

PJEpps3.png
  • Options
    Ana NgAna Ng Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    krazykid wrote: »

I got my tickets in the mail today, and there was a letter with the tickets saying that the show closes at midnight. Kind of sad that it's closing early.
    More sleep for staffers perhaps. Not as much activity at the BCEC late at night might make sense to close things up early.

I'm actually a bit relieved to see the concerts and such being pushed earlier... maybe I'm just old :P but I get so tired by the end of the night I can't enjoy the concerts. Knowing everything will wrap up by midnight gives me a lot more hope for actually making it through the entire day.

zerzhul on
  • Options
    Meryl615Meryl615 Brentwood, TNRegistered User new member
    On my hotel reservation on OnPeak, it says that there is an "Event Shuttle" going to the Embassy Suites near the airport.
    Does anyone know anything about this?
    Two years ago I stayed at this hotel (and didn't book through OnPeak) but the only shuttle was the hotel sponsored one that ran to the airport. Did they change the official PAX shuttle to service this hotel too or am I still dependent on the Silver Line bus that stops at 10pm?

Also, it said that there was going to be a "Shuttle schedule listed on the event website within 45 days of the event". Well, we are definitely inside that timeframe. Where is the schedule? Am I missing it, or is it not up yet?

.....I just hope I don't have to pay $40 a night in cab fair again.

Forgive my lack of BBC. I'm a lover, not a coder.
  • Options
    OfficeZombieOfficeZombie Registered User regular
    Yeah guess I was worried about nothing. The pass was sent out Thursday night and got here Friday morning. It went through 2 sorting centers and customs in less than 24 hours. Truly ludicrous speed.

• Options
    Ana Ng wrote: »
    krazykid wrote: »

More sleep for staffers perhaps. Not as much activity at the BCEC late at night might make sense to close things up early.

I'm actually a bit relieved to see the concerts and such being pushed earlier... maybe I'm just old :P but I get so tired by the end of the night I can't enjoy the concerts. Knowing everything will wrap up by midnight gives me a lot more hope for actually making it through the entire day.
    They did this for PAX Prime 2013 as well. Mainly the number of people still in the convention between midnight and 2AM was very small in comparison to the rest of the time, and it did not justify keeping all the staff necessary to run the con during those hours. At least that's the main reason I was told. I think it also makes it easier for scheduling enforcers and lets everyone get a little more sleep.

• Options
    Meryl615 wrote: »
    On my hotel reservation on OnPeak, it says that there is an "Event Shuttle" going to the Embassy Suites near the airport.
    Does anyone know anything about this?
    Two years ago I stayed at this hotel (and didn't book through OnPeak) but the only shuttle was the hotel sponsored one that ran to the airport. Did they change the official PAX shuttle to service this hotel too or am I still dependent on the Silver Line bus that stops at 10pm?

Also, it said that there was going to be a "Shuttle schedule listed on the event website within 45 days of the event". Well, we are definitely inside that timeframe. Where is the schedule? Am I missing it, or is it not up yet?

.....I just hope I don't have to pay $40 a night in cab fair again.
    The shuttle schedule is not up yet. It will show up here once it is available: http://east.paxsite.com/hotels-and-travel

• Options
    SmallLadySmallLady Registered User regular
    SmallLady wrote: »

I'm disabled/ have a mobility impairment/ use a wheelchair, how easy will it be to get around PAX?

You can get a special medical badge in two easy steps!

1) Pre-PAX, please email pax_questions@paxsite.com and inquire about applying for a medical pass.

2) On site, please go to the Registration desk to apply for a medical pass. A doctor's note is not required.

Updated!

"we're just doing what smalllady told us to do" - @Heels
  • Options
    TennbergTennberg Boston, MARegistered User regular
    Will there be any restrictions on backpacks for PAX? After the events of last April, there has been no consistent policy on this for other events I've attended in the Boston area. Sometimes, there is little to no warning that you can't bring a backpack to an event. It would be a mess if thousands of people started lining up that Friday to only find out that day that backpacks aren't allowed.

• Options
    Sgt.MaysSgt.Mays Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2014
    Yea i would like to know that also, would not be fun if they were banned if you plan to buy a lot of things or bring camera gear etc.

My guess is contact the BCEC or email pax.

Sgt.Mays on
    Gaymer, Nerd and Fan of Freeman's Mind/Half-life/GTA/Red Vs Blue

Attended: East 14, 15 and West 16
    Attending West 2019
  • Options
    Pax has never banned backpacks before. In fact, PAX has given each attendee a free backpack in previous years, and many expo floor booths give them away as well. It would be really, really odd for all that to be stopped, not to mention very messy considering the design of the bag check. I would assume backpacks are allowed and even encouraged unless told otherwise. :)

• Options
    I sincerely doubt that there will be any action taken on backpacks at PAX.

• Options
    TheAggroCraigTheAggroCraig Ultimate Lucky Douchebag MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    edited March 2014
    The Hynes Convention Center requires bag searches now (and are for Anime Boston this Saturday, as they did last year too after the Boston Marathon bombing last year), so I wouldn't be shocked if they implemented bag checks. Obviously we won't know until they say anything, and I'm not sure if it's on the BCEC site anywhere.

TheAggroCraig on
  • Options
    Bag checks or bag searches? :) Just wondering, because if they want to rifle through my bag full of peanut butter sandwiches, playbook, and extra batteries, that I'm OK with. Although it will slow getting in down by a ridiculous amount.

• Options
    BigDumbHippyBigDumbHippy Registered User regular
    Anybody know where I can details on THPS tournament? Just wondering details

• Options
    rascrushrascrush Registered User regular
    im guessing it prob will not be everyone just a random bag search or something like that here and there

• Options
    So in the note i got with my badges it says that you can snag lanyards at a variety of places as you walk in the center. Do these lanyards have anything written on them like pax east or are the just plan lanyards. Also even though they say they are easy to get just how easy are they really.

• Options
    rascrush wrote: »
    So in the note i got with my badges it says that you can snag lanyards at a variety of places as you walk in the center. Do these lanyards have anything written on them like pax east or are the just plan lanyards. Also even though they say they are easy to get just how easy are they really.
    There are literally more lanyards than attendees by a large amount. They are given out like candy. They do have the pax year on them, although they're not particularly high quality.

• Options
    Lol thanks just didnt know if it was something I should buy before i got there or not

• Options
    Many of us do have our own lanyards that we use from pax to pax, but it's definitely not necessary :)

• Options
    RevGutterRevGutter Registered User regular
    The League of Legends lanyards that have been in previous swag bags are pretty damn nice.

• Options
    DolarrahDolarrah New JerseyRegistered User regular
    edited March 2014
    Buying a Lanyard before going to PAX is like stopping off at a bar for a beer before you go to the free weekend long keg party. If you don't walk out of there with at least 5 different lanyards after only 2-3 hours, you did something seriously wrong.

Dolarrah on
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    I got a ton of left over Xbox one, PS4 and other ones i got at Fan Expo, more then set here.

Really as all others said, if you do not have one when you enter within 1 hour of roaming the expo hall you should have more then 1.

Sgt.Mays on

Attending West 2019
  • Options
    whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    On the other hand, what zerzhul said about the free ones being kinda crappy in quality holds true. Many a PAX goer has lost their badge due to the lanyards. Please don't be one of them.

Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?
  • Options
    YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    whypick1 wrote: »
    On the other hand, what zerzhul said about the free ones being kinda crappy in quality holds true. Many a PAX goer has lost their badge due to the lanyards. Please don't be one of them.

I don't trust the clip on any lanyard to hold my badge. I run the lanyard itself through the badge's hole and make a lark's head knot.

5rdukd2991er.jpg

YoungFrey on
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    There was a post with a photo about how to properly secure your badge with the cheap lanyards at a previous pax, if someone could dig that up, that would be swell.

Edit: and there it is!

zerzhul on
  • Options
    DolarrahDolarrah New JerseyRegistered User regular
    edited March 2014
    Could not dig it up, but easy enough to duplicate. There are two styles that I know of the "Lazy Way" and the "Pro Way". The only difference is with the Lazy Way if you take the lanyard off, the badge can (but not likely come off)

To do the Lazy Way, you push the lanyard strand through the back of the badge to the front.

To do the Pro Way, you push the lanyard strand though the front to the badge to the back, loop the clip though the center of the lanyard making a modified "Lark's Nest" (for you former and current Boy Scouts) and clip the jaws onto the cloth of the lanyard.

PRO WAY
    xsgpoxpo2xzr.jpg

LAZY WAY
    jaz1kawqzyib.jpg

In all fairness, I have lanyards from 2011, 2012 and 2013 and the material is not cheap, its rather nice from those years, but the clips are horrendous. Don't trust the clip by itself.

The Lanyard in the picture is the 2012 PAX EAST Lanyard

Dolarrah on
  • Options
    Mine has a plastic clip that looks quite strong, way better then those metal clips (it also has a weird way it clips to prevent it from falling out i guess it clips on the side up instead of the bottom down.
    But i might still stick a zip tie around the fabric of the lanyard and into the badge hole.

Attending West 2019
  • Options
    BostonGameWriterBostonGameWriter MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    Just noticed that the show hours are only until 12 AM this year. Sorry if I'm late to the party regarding that. Still, wasn't it open until 2 AM last year? Also, how does everyone else feel about this?

Contributing writer for Examiner.com - Boston Games Examiner
    Check out my latest article here!
    @simeoncortezano
  • Options
    Just noticed that the show hours are only until 12 AM this year. Sorry if I'm late to the party regarding that. Still, wasn't it open until 2 AM last year? Also, how does everyone else feel about this?
    Yeah that was talked about awhile back, but it doesn't surprise me that people are just finding out now. I know this is a Q&A thread, but that's not really the type of Q this thread is for (asking for reactions). If you want to discuss the schedule, please use the schedule thread :)
    http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/188256/east-2014-schedule

• Options
    so be people wear it as a necklace. can you still do that if you do not clip it on Just wondering how long it is i guess really. So it looks like all of you are saying slide the lanyard in it and not just use the clip interesting would not have thought of that lol.

Do you do this as well with ones your have bought yourself or just ones that you got from pax.

• Options
    BostonGameWriterBostonGameWriter MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    zerzhul wrote: »
    Yeah that was talked about awhile back, but it doesn't surprise me that people are just finding out now. I know this is a Q&A thread, but that's not really the type of Q this thread is for (asking for reactions). If you want to discuss the schedule, please use the schedule thread :)
    http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/188256/east-2014-schedule

Oops. thanks for the directions though. Much appreciated.

Contributing writer for Examiner.com - Boston Games Examiner
    Check out my latest article here!
    @simeoncortezano