Options

PAX East 2014 Information & FAQ. READ THIS FIRST THEN ASK QUESTIONS HERE.

• Options
    DolarrahDolarrah New JerseyRegistered User regular
    Having never seen the need to buy a lanyard for any convention since they are easier to come by then water I usually do the lazy way.

On a side note ... if this is your first time, BUY THE SCARF. If you don't know what I mean... you will the second you walk in the door. My biggest regret of my first Pax is I waited in line for the official t-shirt for over an hour and did not buy the scarf. :'( Nothing says PAX Newbie like buying the T-Shirt and not the Scarf. If you cant afford both, get the scarf. If history is any indications, you will not have enough room for all the t-shirts you get free. I would say 70-80% of them you will never wear, but they make great rags :)

• Options
    schimmdogschimmdog Registered User regular
    I just got my badges and on the enclosed letter it says "If you arrive before show hours you will be directed to the queue room" does this mean we can't line up for the Keynote or early panels early?

Unrelated question, but if I plan to hit up the show store after the keynote should I go to the expo hall one or the "lite" booth on the first floor?

• Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    schimmdog wrote: »
    I just got my badges and on the enclosed letter it says "If you arrive before show hours you will be directed to the queue room" does this mean we can't line up for the Keynote or early panels early?

Unrelated question, but if I plan to hit up the show store after the keynote should I go to the expo hall one or the "lite" booth on the first floor?
    As far as I know, you can still line up for panels directly.

The Merch booth will likely be swamped at both locations at that time... but if I had to pick one I'd pick the lite one.

• Options
    edited March 2014

I know that the lien will be wrong, but I guess that it would be worth it to (hopefuly) get everything that I want. I heard from others that going there after the keynote is decently early.

schimmdog on
  • Options
    DolarrahDolarrah New JerseyRegistered User regular
    If you have Friday tickets, which you must if you are going to the keynote, I would go to the booth around 1-2. The initial rush is over and most people are to full from lunch to stand in line to pay for something. between 10-1 will be a zoo.

My 2 cents....if I had 2 cents for every time I gave my 2 cents, Bill Gates would work for me :)

• Options
    PurpleBekPurpleBek Manchester, EnglandRegistered User regular
    I seem to be having a problem with Guidebook? I just downloaded it, and when browsing there isn't a PAX East 2014 guide available, but I scanned the QR code on the badge which brings it up but with no download option and it says to go to 'Redeem Code', except I don't seem to have a code to redeem? Man I am confused. Help?

pax%20sig.png
  • Options
    whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    Guidebook version isn't up yet, probably because the guide isn't finished (see: lack of expo map).

Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    Yeah, it's not actually ready yet. The QR code on the back of the badges is taking people to download an unfinished guide ;) I think the time planning might have been a little off this time! Before guides go public, they are available via a code so that organizers can look at them ahead of time. When it's ready, the code requirement will go away.

zerzhul on
  • Options
    I just read that the lobby merch booth doesn't have pins and only has shirts and other things. Never been to pax, so don't know the truth behind that, but will be safe and head to the expo hall.

• Options
    MarinoMarino Giant Bomb Moderator / League of Heels Webmaster Macon, GARegistered User regular
    I just read that the lobby merch booth doesn't have pins and only has shirts and other things. Never been to pax, so don't know the truth behind that, but will be safe and head to the expo hall.

The lobby merch stand definitely had pins last year. That's no guarantee that they will this time I guess.

• Options
    TheAggroCraigTheAggroCraig Ultimate Lucky Douchebag MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    Marino wrote: »

The lobby merch stand definitely had pins last year. That's no guarantee that they will this time I guess.

I honestly thought they didn't, if I'm wrong then my bad obviously.

• Options
    SpiderSimianSpiderSimian Registered User regular
    I am wondering if you guys will be offering Thursday night badge pickup like you did in 2012. Not having this in 2013 was sorely missed. Hope you offer it again this year.

• Options
    edited March 2014
    I am wondering if you guys will be offering Thursday night badge pickup like you did in 2012. Not having this in 2013 was sorely missed. Hope you offer it again this year.
    There was Thursday will call in 2013. Not sure what you mean.

The specific hours for it have not yet been released.

zerzhul on
  • Options
    andresrodmandresrodm Registered User new member
    In the address tab I wrote my friends name and then the address, it might've cuased confusion when shipping and I didn't receive the ticket. What can I do? I still have the receipt of the ticket that i bought for my friend.

• Options
    andresrodm wrote: »
    In the address tab I wrote my friends name and then the address, it might've cuased confusion when shipping and I didn't receive the ticket. What can I do? I still have the receipt of the ticket that i bought for my friend.
    Not all tickets should have been received yet. Not even close in fact. They go out in waves. If you haven't received it in another two weeks, contact pax_questions@paxsite.com

• Options
    apparentlymaryleeapparentlymarylee Jersey City, NJRegistered User regular
    My question: When should we get in line? This will be our first time at PAX and the two things we do not want to miss are the CAH and GiantBomb panels. Since they start late-ish, what would everyone say is a good time to get in line? I'm coming to terms with the fact that I probably won't be able to see much beforehand on those two days because I'm assuming the answer is going to be something along the lines of "if the panel starts at 9pm, get in line at 2." (At least we'll have Sunday...)

• Options
    The earliest you can line up for a panel is after the panel before it in the same theater lets all of its people in. So lining up at 2pm for a 9pm panel is probably not realistic.

• Options
    Sgt.MaysSgt.Mays Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2014
    I plan to line up at around 10:45 or so for the Rooster teeth panel should be good enough. Good time to chat with the people around you and check your streetpasses. Depending on the panel and how popular it is you may be able to get away with arriving closer to the start time if not at start time and still find a good seat or any seat, i have done it with other cons and there were still loads of seats (and it was a big con not a small one just as big as PAX).

Sgt.Mays on
    Gaymer, Nerd and Fan of Freeman's Mind/Half-life/GTA/Red Vs Blue

Attended: East 14, 15 and West 16
    Attending West 2019
  • Options
    Oh, one thing to note, sometimes the panel right after the keynote does not force clear. In past years the keynote rolled right into the Q&A, and then right into rooster teeth. It's possible that this will happen again. The MT is unique in this regard.

• Options
    Sgt.MaysSgt.Mays Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2014
    zerzhul wrote: »
    Oh, one thing to note, sometimes the panel right after the keynote does not force clear. In past years the keynote rolled right into the Q&A, and then right into rooster teeth. It's possible that this will happen again. The MT is unique in this regard.

So we should line up for the Storytime and 10:30?, and watch that then stay for RT?. There is 30 minutes after that panel and before RT though, would they clear it then?.

Sgt.Mays on
    Gaymer, Nerd and Fan of Freeman's Mind/Half-life/GTA/Red Vs Blue

Attended: East 14, 15 and West 16
    Attending West 2019
  • Options
    It's a solid question that I don't have the answer to. When we get closer to pax that's a thing that official_pax or pax_lines may tweet about. In the past, the way it has worked (with the Q&A in the middle) is that they did not clear the rooms between keynote, Q&A, and RT, it was all just sort of straight through. Now, plenty of people /left/ between those panels because they didn't want to see the later ones, and new people were allowed in, but they didn't have their own big lineup.

If the past holds, I would say your best bet if you want to guarantee a RT seat is to go to the keynote. However, it would not surprise me if you could go later and still make it in.

• Options
    StockBreakStockBreak Registered User regular
    Is there a way to learn the rules for the tournaments being held? For instance, will Ultimate MvC3 be held on the PS3 or Xbox 360? How will courses be determined on Mario Kart/Sonic Racing/etc?

• Options
    pelicanflippelicanflip Registered User regular
    My question: When should we get in line? This will be our first time at PAX and the two things we do not want to miss are the CAH and GiantBomb panels. Since they start late-ish, what would everyone say is a good time to get in line? I'm coming to terms with the fact that I probably won't be able to see much beforehand on those two days because I'm assuming the answer is going to be something along the lines of "if the panel starts at 9pm, get in line at 2." (At least we'll have Sunday...)

So far, from my past experiences, a good rule of thumb has been: 2 hours wait-time to any panel will get you a seat.

For Gearbox Software, I waited about 2 hours before the panel, and I was oneof the first 50-100 people in line. Same with Capcom, same with Keiji Inafune, same with Blizzard (panels that is).

Of course, you can always line up later, but you risk missing out. And as stated, technically, you can start lining up right after the the panel before starts letting people in, as Zerzhul has mentioned.

Your mileage may vary though :smile:

I'd bring a handheld console like a 3DS or a PS Vita, and chat with friends/make some friends on the line. That's what I did for one of the panels I attended; a random group of us ended up playing Cards Against Humanity for an hour, and then we raced in Mario Kart, and it passed the time quickly.

• Options
    YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    In addition to the other advice. The lines don't fill up instantly. If you are really worried, swing by very early and see who's there. Also, I've seen a lot of people saving spots in line. So not everyone in your group would have to wait.

• Options
    Saving spots in line is generally not good practice. It's fine in the whole "hey I need to get out of line for the restroom" way, but it's really not very nice to other attendees to save 10 spots for your buddies who are off doing other things.

• Options
    YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    zerzhul wrote: »
    Saving spots in line is generally not good practice. It's fine in the whole "hey I need to get out of line for the restroom" way, but it's really not very nice to other attendees to save 10 spots for your buddies who are off doing other things.
    Agreed, but I think I've seen it every time it was possible at 4 PAXen. So clearly it's popular.

• Options
    Depends on the panel stuff like Make-a-strip and Giant Bomb you probably want to get in line 2 hours early. For some other panels you can get in lien an hour or so early. Depends on how good of a seat you want. Also follow @pax_lines they update when lines are full.

• Options
    StockBreak wrote: »
    Is there a way to learn the rules for the tournaments being held? For instance, will Ultimate MvC3 be held on the PS3 or Xbox 360? How will courses be determined on Mario Kart/Sonic Racing/etc?
    Were I you, I would post in this thread: http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/187595/console-tourney-your-chance-to-help-choose-a-few-of-the-tournaments-this-east
    The folks running the console tournaments will hopefully notice.

• Options
    apparentlymaryleeapparentlymarylee Jersey City, NJRegistered User regular
    Thanks everyone! That definitely cleared it up for me and I'm super glad two days aren't going to be "wasted" waiting in line. There's only two of us so we won't be those dicks holding ten spots. :)

• Options
    pliskin679pliskin679 Registered User new member
    Never been to a PAX and dont like carrying cash. I'd prefer to bring my credit cards. My big question is what is there to buy? im expecting tons of video game related stuff. collectables and the works. Am i wrong? my friend said on 2010 there was almost nothing to buy except food and water. Thanks

• Options
    VmKidVmKid Gone Bananas Shuggazoom CityRegistered User regular
    While a lot of booths give stuff out for free, there are plenty that sell stuff. Whether or not they can accept credit cards depends on the vendor. Game-related stuff is most of what they sell. Certain booths, such as the LevelUpStudios booth, can stray into other nerdy pursuits, but gaming's the usual thing. While it may not be as much as, say, your average convention's Dealer Room, it's still a lot to choose from. I recommend getting the stuff you REALLY want ASAP, since they don't tend to stock enough to last until the show closes.

One other note: Just how big are we talking on that limit? Food at the BCEC is expensive. I mean EXPENSIVE. You may want to prioritize spending on food and drink before moichendise.

KvTUvIQ.png
  • Options
    sacratoysacratoy Colorado, USARegistered User regular
    I saw buttons, pins, t-shirts, classic consoles and accessories, chessex stuff, table top games (like, anything you could want), game pre-orders, Nintendo merch, gaming accessories (Logitech, Astro, etc), general merch (thinkgeek had a booth), pax merch.

If you want to, there are A LOT of things you have the opportunity to spend money on. I'm actually waiting on buying a headset and keyboard since the coupons at the vendor booths tend to make it worth buying on site.

PAX Prime 2014: Pass [x] Hotel [x] Flights [x] Vacation Days [x]

PAX Prime 2014 Preparations Complete
  • Options
    HalfazedninjaHalfazedninja Author of Jake Howard: Multiverse 101! Behind YouRegistered User regular
    pliskin679 wrote: »
    Never been to a PAX and dont like carrying cash. I'd prefer to bring my credit cards. My big question is what is there to buy? im expecting tons of video game related stuff. collectables and the works. Am i wrong? my friend said on 2010 there was almost nothing to buy except food and water. Thanks

I wouldn't rely totally on CC's though. The reception in the BCEC is terrible and most of the booths that sell things there use things like Square and things like that to do their transactions.

My debut novel, JAKE HOWARD: MULTIVERSE 101!
    Switch FC: SW-7588-7027-0113, Steam/PSN: Halfazedninja

• Options
    petrieslastwordpetrieslastword Syracuse, NYRegistered User regular
    I have to imagine stuff like food will be expensive and you'll want cash to ensure you have no issues, though I personally will have a bag well stocked with snacks, protein bars, and other various stuff to keep me satiated and not spend a fortune.

• Options
    CoanCoan TorontoRegistered User regular
    There was plenty to buy last year, be it geeky stuff like thinkgeek and welovefine, the PA merch, anything in TT's corner, plus other vendors in the expo hall...spending money isn't really an issue...though using a credit card may be. I'll second the bit where some vendors may have issues accepting credit cards or flat out may not take them at all.

Posting on the phorum again like its 1999
  • Options
    cookiekrushcookiekrush Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    I would bring some cash. As it's been noted, some vendors use Square, or something like that, and the Wi-Fi is spotty at times. And some vendors only take cash, or give you a discount if you pay with cash.

Also, assuming you're not from the area, sometimes the CC company will freeze your card if they see you're purchasing large amounts out of the state. Even if you call and let them know you're going to be out of the state.

And there is a ton to buy, but it's what you're really looking for or not looking for. There are all kinds of things, geek items, games - both tabletop and video games, tech equipment, etc. It's what you're going to make out of it.

cookiekrush on
    Pinny Pals - open to trading!
    Looking for Edith Finch Pin!
  • Options
    BekerBeker Child's Play Program Director SeattleRegistered User, Penny Arcade Staff regular
    Sgt.Mays wrote: »
    So we should line up for the Storytime and 10:30?, and watch that then stay for RT?. There is 30 minutes after that panel and before RT though, would they clear it then?.
    A good rule of thumb is if there is 30 min or more between panels (or an hour for Main Theatre) then they will clear the room in between them. Thats about the minimum time it takes to clear and refill the rooms. As always, your best and most accurate bet is to ask the enforcers that are working that theatre as they will know for sure.

-Beker/Erick
    zx6ak2M.png
  • Options
    KythosKythos Mister. Registered User regular
    I brought along about 200 in cash last year and used my credit card when possible. There were times where cash was more convenient like splitting tickets at a restaurant. As for food at the BCEC, can't say how expensive it is as I didn't buy anything. There was a crap-ton of merch to buy though. And the indie-devs usually have some stuff to sell along with their games too.

PAX East 2017: Badge [X] Lodging [X] Plane Tickets [X] Time Off [X]

XBL/PSN: MiFengXia Twitter: @MiFengXia 3DS: 2423-3603-7854 Steam: Kythos
  • Options
    akl3inakl3in Registered User regular
    I'm only going to be at PAX on Sunday... will there still be some PA merch left?

• Options
    whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    Not everything will still be in stock, but there will be some merch left, yes. They even specifically mentioned rationing the 10th anniversary PAX pin for each day.

Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?