As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Hi, all.

2»

• Options
    SerenitySerenity Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    deleted...

Serenity on
    qxd8or7ouox3.png
  • Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    I closed the old registration thread awhile ago. I'll leave this one for a bit in case folks have questions about the badges they just purchased. The Sellout FAQ has existed for a long while now. Also, please PM me or use the report feature if you want to talk about thread management, this is not the appropriate place to inquire about that.

• Options
    fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    RavenHusky wrote: »

can you guys announce PAX Prime sales farther in advance? i know the stated reasons for not doing this, but at the extreme rate of sellout, it seems vastly unfair to the folks who did not even have a go at trying to get passes.

From the Sellout FAQ
    Why not give advance notice?

Besides there being a massive server load issue, it also gives scalpers the ability to mobilize their teams to buy lots of smaller orders. Not giving advance notice is actually pretty close to a lottery system, in the sense that if you were unavailable during that pre-registration window, you were not selected.

Besides, with demand increasing every year, it's just going to sell out even faster in the future.

i know this, which is why i said "i know the stated reasons".

the thing is, other conventions like the San Diego Comic Con have found ways to deal with high server load and scalpers and still give everyone a decent shot at getting a pass, even if everyone does not actually get one.

the SDCC does a preregistration system and announces when passes will be sold way in advance. this gives everyone fair notice. they've also been able to handle the server load necessary on registration day. the preregistration also combats scalpers by forcing passes to be associated with accounts.

i know and fully understand that not everyone is going to get a pass, especially with how quickly PAX sells out now. i do not understand why there isn't a way to give everyone interested a decent shot at getting a pass when other events have demonstrated the ability. in the big picture, attending any con isn't such a big deal. it just kinda burns not even having a shot to try to get passes.

ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
  • Options
    sanovahsanovah Nerd of the West San Diego, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2013
    @fightinfilipino it's been discussed to death but this is the best way they can do. I'm not sure if you've ever been to SDCC but pre registration systems are horrible because if you miss one year forget about going ever again without some miracle. I missed SDCC one year in HS and haven't been able to go again since because of pre registration and sales to those people.

And everyone has a decent shot you just have to do the things people suggest every year before, during, and after sales. Which is follow the PAX Twitter. If you do you have as much a chance as anyone to get tickets. I can actually speak from experience about this. I followed them before the tickets went on sale and got the tweet and my tickets. I then turned off notifications for them and missed the announcement the other night. So because I did what people suggested I got the notice, but when I didn't I missed the notice. Granted I didn't need tickets, but if I did I would have been SoL because I didn't listen. So not sure what else they could do.

sanovah on
  • Options
    RavenHuskyRavenHusky Registered User regular

can you guys announce PAX Prime sales farther in advance? i know the stated reasons for not doing this, but at the extreme rate of sellout, it seems vastly unfair to the folks who did not even have a go at trying to get passes.

From the Sellout FAQ
    Why not give advance notice?

Besides there being a massive server load issue, it also gives scalpers the ability to mobilize their teams to buy lots of smaller orders. Not giving advance notice is actually pretty close to a lottery system, in the sense that if you were unavailable during that pre-registration window, you were not selected.

Besides, with demand increasing every year, it's just going to sell out even faster in the future.

i know this, which is why i said "i know the stated reasons".

the thing is, other conventions like the San Diego Comic Con have found ways to deal with high server load and scalpers and still give everyone a decent shot at getting a pass, even if everyone does not actually get one.

the SDCC does a preregistration system and announces when passes will be sold way in advance. this gives everyone fair notice. they've also been able to handle the server load necessary on registration day. the preregistration also combats scalpers by forcing passes to be associated with accounts.

i know and fully understand that not everyone is going to get a pass, especially with how quickly PAX sells out now. i do not understand why there isn't a way to give everyone interested a decent shot at getting a pass when other events have demonstrated the ability. in the big picture, attending any con isn't such a big deal. it just kinda burns not even having a shot to try to get passes.

Everyone does have a fair shot. It's called paying attention to the website and twitter account. There are various reasons that people are unavailable for registration, whether they are at work, school, etc... but it is first come first served as soon as PA decides to make registration available, and if they are not available before passes are sold out, then tough luck.

tw787Xr.png

• Options
    fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    @sanovah i live in San Diego. that doesn't give me a leg up on registration ;-) . i do feel that the preregistration system makes the effort to be as fair as possible. i suppose that's what i'd be looking for.
    Everyone does have a fair shot. It's called paying attention to the website and twitter account. There are various reasons that people are unavailable for registration, whether they are at work, school, etc... but it is first come first served as soon as PA decides to make registration available, and if they are not available before passes are sold out, then tough luck.

i realize this is going beyond the scope of the thread set by zerzhul, so i'll just say on behalf of the people who work at night or at odd shifts, or who have classes or school, or who do not have a constant access to an internet connection, i respectfully disagree. it doesn't seem like a fair shot when you can't even get in the line to try.

ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
  • Options
    NoxnoctisNoxnoctis Registered User regular
    You know, I'm really tired of people defending this system as is. I did eveything that was suggested. heck last night i was in that que 30secs after it went out on twitter. Page never refreshed cause it was bugged again. Have you even looked at eBay and Craigslist? Tickets from last nights resale were on eBay/cl. Associate a name with badges and facilitate a way to trade badges @ cost. You got peeps with "lots" of passes seeking them @ x5 the cost.
    Had I known when tickets were going to go on sale I would have gotten some. If anything this system is easier for the scalper whom has systems specifically set up for a quick response. If the entire pax community knew when the tickets were going to go on sale the scalpers would have been hard pressed to accumulate so many.

• Options
    sanovahsanovah Nerd of the West San Diego, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Nox you do know last night were the reclaimed tickets that probably only numbered in the hundreds right?

• Options
    RavenHuskyRavenHusky Registered User regular
    @fightinfilipino
    Regardless of what time registration is available, there will be someone who wants to get a ticket but will be unavailable due to some prior commitment. If that happens to be you, then there's not a lot that can be done about it. That's just how the die rolls. Someone is going to win, and someone is going to lose.

tw787Xr.png

• Options
    Kaoken00Kaoken00 TexasRegistered User regular
    sanovah wrote: »
    @fightinfilipino it's been discussed to death but this is the best way they can do. I'm not sure if you've ever been to SDCC but pre registration systems are horrible because if you miss one year forget about going ever again without some miracle. I missed SDCC one year in HS and haven't been able to go again since because of pre registration and sales to those people.

And everyone has a decent shot you just have to do the things people suggest every year before, during, and after sales. Which is follow the PAX Twitter. If you do you have as much a chance as anyone to get tickets. I can actually speak from experience about this. I followed them before the tickets went on sale and got the tweet and my tickets. I then turned off notifications for them and missed the announcement the other night. So because I did what people suggested I got the notice, but when I didn't I missed the notice. Granted I didn't need tickets, but if I did I would have been SoL because I didn't listen. So not sure what else they could do.

I have to disagree, I was able to get tickets for my wife and I to SDCC and its was my first time. There preregistration system I believe works well against scalpers.

South 2016 Status: .[*] 3-Day Passes .[*] Hotel .[*] Waiting Patiently .

• Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    Yeah, nothing has changed since the last thread. Pros, cons, all that. I predict that the system will stay the same, but I would definitely say that they certainly are appraised of the options (if folks didn't believe they were before, which I'm sure they were, I hope that folks believe they are now).

Looks like there aren't really any additional questions directly relating to this re-sale, so...

Geth, close the thread.

• Options
    GethGeth Legion Perseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
    Affirmative zerzhul. Closing thread...

This discussion has been closed.