As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Real [E3] Thread (Check OP For Streams)

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Honestly...this was how I felt watching the MS conference as someone who loved the 360.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DSN9Hc0Y_2U

• Options
    WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    To reiterate I bought this and I liked it:
    2434_300.jpg

• Options
    mrt144mrt144 King of the Numbernames Registered User regular
    edited June 2013
    I would say that verdict was PS3 was dumb in a lot of ways but servicable and Xbox was the champ in popularity and only a really few vocal PS3 folks were bent by that. Most people are xbox people, numbers dont lie.

mrt144 on
  • Options
    I have also been known to say that vista isn't that bad

But the Xbox One is just kind of ridiculous.

• Options
    areaarea Registered User regular
    edited June 2013
    I just got up. Is there a video of the Sony conference anywhere? Sounds like good breakfast time viewing.

area on
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    2434_300.jpg

I still have that, and I still love it. I was honestly super bummed when they stopped making Zunes.

I mean, this was before I had a smartphone and all that, that could do all that too.

I wish they'd put out zune software for android that makes it function like the old Zune stuff; or even the PC software.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2013
    I have also been known to say that vista isn't that bad

But the Xbox One is just kind of ridiculous.

I ran Vista from release day to the day Windows 7 released.

I still think it was a fine operating system.

Edit: And think Windows 8 is pretty nice, Metro aside.

Suriko on
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    So, I have been stuck at work during all the streams (curse you Japanese timezone!!!) so I've only been able to get little snatches of news here and there. Living in Japan PS4 is obviously the clear winner for me (especially if it being region free is confirmed).

There is one bit I got conflicting information about, and if I could have it cleared up that would be great: Does the PS4 require PS+ for online play or no?

• Options
    Ragnar DragonfyreRagnar Dragonfyre Registered User regular
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    Honestly...this was how I felt watching the MS conference as someone who loved the 360.

Yup. That pretty much sums it up right thar.

I take solace in the fact that eventually I'll be able to use that beautiful Xbox One controller with my PC.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    It does seem that way. It is currently $5, but it does look like the are moving more towards XBL.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    So, I have been stuck at work during all the streams (curse you Japanese timezone!!!) so I've only been able to get little snatches of news here and there. Living in Japan PS4 is obviously the clear winner for me (especially if it being region free is confirmed).

There is one bit I got conflicting information about, and if I could have it cleared up that would be great: Does the PS4 require PS+ for online play or no?

That seems to be the case, they slipped it in all sneaky like.

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    TaranisTaranis Registered User regular

I take solace in the fact that eventually I'll be able to use that beautiful Xbox One controller with my PC.

and PS4

hopefully

EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    Aegeri wrote: »
    It does seem that way. It is currently $5, but it does look like the are moving more towards XBL.

It's not a deal breaker because at the worst it puts it on par with XBL, but, it does keep it from being like, the absolutely greatest thing evar as a new console, personally.

• Options
    2434_300.jpg

I still have that, and I still love it. I was honestly super bummed when they stopped making Zunes.

I mean, this was before I had a smartphone and all that, that could do all that too.

I wish they'd put out zune software for android that makes it function like the old Zune stuff; or even the PC software.

I sold my Zune

... to buy the Zune HD. That thing was slick. Also, I don't know if you know but the Windows Phone operating system is basically the Zune Phone.

• Options
    lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    Apparently someone stole GiantBomb's video equipment out of their E3 studio. They are going to have a long night.

steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • Options
    Taranis wrote: »

and PS4

hopefully

Amen to that brotha.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    2434_300.jpg

I sold my Zune

... to buy the Zune HD. That thing was slick. Also, I don't know if you know but the Windows Phone operating system is basically the Zune Phone.

I know, but I don't want to lose everything for it. :P

• Options
    halkunhalkun Registered User regular
    I was wondering why they haven't posted anything yet...

• Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    On the bright side, by the time I finish watching all of the cutscenes for the Metal Gear games, the XBone and a copy of the new Metal Gear will probably go down in price enough that they'll be much more affordable.

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    Muddy WaterMuddy Water Quiet Batperson Registered User regular
    God, it is so fucked up. Taken on its own, Sony's conference had nothing really going for it. Compared to last generation, the PS4 is actually more anti-consumer than PS3. I mean, the best thing about Playstation Plus was that Sony wasn't locking away standard features behind a paywall. They were rewarding you for subscribing by giving you awesome deals and early access. They've actually taken a step back in that regard.

But what Microsoft was attempting was such primo bullshit, that Sony continuing with established practices for the most part is actually worth applauding.

• Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular
    I just saw the "Just let it happen. . ." bit; I dunno. I think it being a female up there is why minds immediately went to Rape Town. I will say if this was scripted banter, being in the age we live in now, someone should be fired for not running this in their heads and thinking "This might not go over well - "

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    Am I the only one who hasn't used the new Dual Shock or something? Because I have no idea how it'll feel in my hands.

Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    ED! wrote: »
    I just saw the "Just let it happen. . ." bit; I dunno. I think it being a female up there is why minds immediately went to Rape Town. I will say if this was scripted banter, being in the age we live in now, someone should be fired for not running this in their heads and thinking "This might not go over well - "

You didn't need to be female for that to be the first thing that came to mind.

It was quite odd.

Suriko on
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Am I the only one who hasn't used the new Dual Shock or something? Because I have no idea how it'll feel in my hands.

It's the joystick placement that we're worried about more than anything else.

The 360's controller was superior to the DS3 in pretty much every way, so it's not too much of a stretch to expect a similar situation with the next gen. Especially given the different types of games played in the US versus Japan.

Taranis on
    EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    Brutal JBrutal J Sorry! Sorry, I'm sorry. Sorry. Registered User regular
    edited June 2013
    I just remembered that when the PS4 was revealed I posted that I didn't feel Sony had learned from their mistakes, that they were endanger of repeating them, and just general doomsaying.

I was wrong.
    I take back nothing I said about the Xbox One. Nothing

Brutal J on
  • Options
    Taranis wrote: »

It's the joystick placement that we're worried about more than anything else.

The 360's controller was superior to the DS3 in pretty much every way, so it's not too much of a stretch to expect a similar situation with the next gen. Especially give the different types of games played in the US versus Japan.

I think that's changing, a couple of my students have whooped my butt in Call of Duty, but yeah, the FPS scene is still growing here.

• Options
    I'm looking forward the the dust clearing from the conferences and getting some info from the show floor over the next few days.

Because as it stands right now it's hard as shit to tell what games are coming for what consoles at this point. Everyone was 'exclusive' this and 'exclusive' that, 'exclusive in 2014' 'DLC exclusive, etc.

The word doesn't even have meaning anymore and that information will probably play a good deal into stuff too. I mean...not as much as $400, no DRM, no always online, etc. But still. It'll matter.

• Options
    mnihilmnihil Registered User regular
    Right now I can order both the PS4 and XBO from Amazon.com as a European citizen, without any error that the items aren't available for my region. So if that's not temporary, that's really nice.

As far as E3 goes, I'm floored. The jury is still out on who will persevere, and whether either company has made smart deals and bets, but what I can say is: I don't like Microsoft. Nothing to do with console allegiance (PS2 only to 360 only to probably PS4 only). It's their corporate philosophy that's vile to me. The things they think they can get away with obviously first and foremost. But also their presentation. Most games were meaningless glimpses that lasted barely 30 seconds. Granted, loads of stuff I wasn't interested in, so I wasn't paying too much attention, but aside from TitanFall, what got real coverage? There was not one truly exciting title for me on that stage (love Remedy, but Quantum Break is still one huge enigma), either because it wasn't a game I was interested in, or because its presentation was severely lacking.

Sony was way better on that front. Again, I skim through these conferences, but Sony had a warmer vibe to begin with and indulged the audience more with gameplay footage, and even more interesting titles. I like Sony, for what they're doing. And in my opinion, that was the only conference that introduced the next generation. Because next-gen isn't only about graphics, it's about the execution of new ideas - so Transistor is more important than Battlefield 4 for me.

• Options

I might, might, consider it an overreaction if it wasn't scripted dialogue, but it was. Someone should have known better.

• Options
    And one of the most popular arcade games here in Japan (and probably my favorite) you essentially have a mouse in your right hand and a joystick in your left, and it plays like a third person battlefield with mechs.

So shooters are getting more and more clout here in Japan. Of course, not really a contest between the PS4 and the xbone here...

• Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular
    Suriko wrote: »

It was quite odd.

That's not quite what I said.

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    Suriko wrote: »

It was quite odd.

That's not quite what I said.

Oh, sorry. I read it wrong. I can see what you meant now.

• Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    Hahahahaha, where are all them "IT'S NEVAR GONNA BE 399 YOU SILLY GEESE" guys now
    come out come out wherever you are

Here I am! :D

Yeah, I'm honestly (pleasantly) surprised by this. Well done, Sony. I can't really afford to buy a PS4 any time soon, but eventually I'm gonna.

Microsoft are so fucked. Like, holy shit. They were before E3, they were after they announced their ridiculous price tage and they really are now.

Also, I'm pleasantly surprised they didn't announce Persona 5 as a PS4 exclusive. I want that shit cheap, yo.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    A question I have is: How can sony keep the PS3 at $299 with the PS4 at $399 (besides the obvious "because they can")? With Microsoft, the $200 difference between the 360 and One is differentiating enough.

Bring that damn price down.

• Options
    A question I have is: How can sony keep the PS3 at $299 with the PS4 at $399 (besides the obvious "because they can")? With Microsoft, the $200 difference between the 360 and One is differentiating enough.

Bring that damn price down.

They probably will in time for the holidays.

• Options
    Rex DartRex Dart Registered User regular
    After Sony's utter decimation of the Xbone, does anyone else feel Microsoft will have to respond in some way? They can't possibly continue their policies without looking like the bad guys.

At the very least, maybe just having the disk function as a DRM check, if system hadn't connected to the internet for more than a day?

Then again, why bother? Short of scrapping their whole DRM system, Sony's will always be the more familiar and comfortable of the two.

• Options
    I said it would never be $399. Hell, I was certain it'd be the same or more than Xbone.

We just live in a time where price fixing is so common, I just didn't expect Sony to bother to compete so aggressively on the price point because they didn't have to.

Released at the same price point as the Xbone would still have won them the vote of the hardcore gaming audience regardless.

It was a bold stroke and surprised the shit out of me.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I just hope Sony can afford to sell the PS4 at $399 without posting losses.

EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    VoroVoro Registered User regular
    Rex Dart wrote: »
    After Sony's utter decimation of the Xbone, does anyone else feel Microsoft will have to respond in some way? They can't possibly continue their policies without looking like the bad guys.

At the very least, maybe just having the disk function as a DRM check, if system hadn't connected to the internet for more than a day?

Then again, why bother? Short of scrapping their whole DRM system, Sony's will always be the more familiar and comfortable of the two.

Well, MS already cancelled their post-E3 press thing so they don't really have a good platform to respond. And, frankly, Sony never backpedaled on the PS3's horrific debut so I'm not expecting MS to turn things around here. Besides, MS' initial showing with TV / Sports / Call of Duty makes me think there are some contracts already in place that would limit their room to maneuver.

XBL GamerTag: Comrade Nexus
  • Options
    I said it would never be $399. Hell, I was certain it'd be the same or more than Xbone.

We just live in a time where price fixing is so common, I just didn't expect Sony to bother to compete so aggressively on the price point because they didn't have to.

Released at the same price point as the Xbone would still have won them the vote of the hardcore gaming audience regardless.

It was a bold stroke and surprised the shit out of me.

There is a disturbing (from my point of view) number of people that just don't really care about MS's DRM. The price though kills it, why be saddled with that shit, and pay more for the privilege?

The number of reasons to own an Xbone is rather small now, and really, with as many FPSs out there, I think a lot of people can live without Halo.

This discussion has been closed.