As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Journey Into [Myst]ery

StiltsStilts Registered User regular
falling.jpg

Welcome, Stranger. You're about to go on a very, very long journey. And it all starts with...

N7799.jpg
The Book of Ti'ana, actually. This novel covers the life of Ti'ana (Atrus' grandmother) and the fall of the City of D'ni.

51497Z1WMXL.jpg
The Book of Atrus is next on the timeline. This one follows Atrus' life from childhood up to just before the start of Myst. If you ever wanted to know how Atrus learned how to write Ages, this is your book.

Alternatively, you could also read the webcomic adaptation.

2350184-main_myst.jpg
Ah, here we go. The original Myst is the second best-selling PC game ever at over 6 million copies (The Sims is #1, if you're curious). This is where your story starts, Stranger. You find yourself stuck on a weird island and have three people imprisoned in books yelling at you to help them get out. Myst was actually remade twice: there's also realMyst (which has 3D environments and a new area) and Myst Masterpiece edition (which ups the resolution of the prerendered images and remasters the audio).

Riven_Coverart.png
Next is Riven, which has the incredibly blunt subtitle "The Sequel to Myst" just in case anybody got confused. This time, Atrus's wife, Catherine, is trapped and the Stranger has to free her and trap Gehn to save the day. The good news: I and many others consider this game to have the best atmosphere and world-building of any Myst game. The bad news: it is also unanimously considered the hardest game. Riven straight up hates you, and I'm pretty sure almost anyone who's actually beaten it has used a guide at some point. There is no shame in giving in to GameFAQs. Riven's just a fucking asshole of a game.

92138.jpg
We return to literature for The Book of the D'ni, which puts the focus on Atrus as he builds a new home for the D'ni. It's meant to bridge the gap between Riven and the next game in the series...

myst3.jpg
Myst 3: Exile. This is my personal favorite game in the series. It also has the easiest puzzles. But remember, this is "easy" by Myst standards, so you're still gonna have to exercise your brain. It's just that this time the actions you need to take are significantly more intuitive, and the consequences of your wanton switch-flipping and button-pressing are made much more obvious. The Ages look pretty cool, too.

Oh, and I guess there's a plot about some asshole named Saavedro trying to take revenge on Atrus and, by association, the survivors of D'ni who are now living in Releeshahn. It's fine, but kind of forgettable.

Tomahna.jpg
Myst 4: Revelation has some goddamn gorgeous Ages. In terms of art design, I consider it to be right up there with Riven. Its puzzles are around the same difficult as Myst 1's: hard, but not quite on Riven's "go fuck yourself" level. It also has my favorite soundtrack. I mean, just listen to the main theme.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjiBnoNMbBM

So good.

Just like in the previous Myst games, you take control of The Stranger. During another visit to Atrus' home (these never end well, do they?), his daughter, Yeesha, goes missing after being chased by a mysterious figure. Atrus fears Sirrus and Achenar (the antagonists of Myst 1) are responsible. It's up to you to figure out what happened to Yeesha and if Atrus' sons have reformed enough to finally release them from their prison Ages.

uru_08.jpg
Uru: Ages Beyond Myst is a weird game. Not only is it the first game to not feature the Stranger, but it's a third-person game with a customizable avatar that also has an MMO version. So like Second Life but with puzzles. The basic plot is about your avatar helping the D'ni Restoration Council in their quest to...well...rebuild the D'ni's civilization. I only played a couple hours of this game, so that's all I've got.

endofages011.jpg
Finally we come to Myst 5: End of Ages. This is the only Myst game I have not actually played yet. Like realMyst and Uru, Myst 5's environments are fully 3D and rendered in real time. Your quest-giver this time is Yeesha, who entrusts you with the task of unlocking the power of a mysterious tablet in order to fully restore the D'ni civilization.

Now, there's a reason I bothered writing up that whole chronology. This isn't just going to be a thread for reminiscing about the games. Oh no. My goal is to play through every single Myst game and document my progress: like a more laid-back version of an LP. I invite you to play along with me.

You can find realMyst, Myst Masterpiece, Riven, Uru and Myst 5 on Steam and GoG. Myst 3 and 4, unfortunately, are only available as physical copies.

IKknkhU.gif

• Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    God DAMN Riven was so fucking hard.

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    My aunt owned Riven, which is how I first got introduced to the Myst series.

She never managed to finish it.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    edited June 2013
    My parents used to play the Myst games together

I remember that they let me play Riven when I was about five and I kinda knew there were puzzles but instead I just ran around all the islands looking at the pretty things

Again, Riven is so hard I didn't even really know that there was an objective

Mortal Sky on
  • Options
    I Win SwordfightsI Win Swordfights all the traits of greatness starlight at my feetRegistered User regular
    I'm down as fuck ffor some stilts myst action

lfYVHTd.png
  • Options
    A few years later my dad got my siblings and I, ages nine to five, to sit down and take our own notes on all the puzzles in Must

We got about to the train station without even touching a guide

• Options

I'm convinced that, because of the game's approach to explaining puzzles, it is the hardest vidya game ever created

• Options
    Mortal Sky wrote: »

I'm convinced that, because of the game's approach to explaining puzzles, it is the hardest vidya game ever created

At the very least it's gotta be in the top 10.

I'm down as fuck ffor some stilts myst action

I bought realMyst from GoG yesterday. I might be able to get the first segment out tonight, but most likely I'll start tomorrow.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    I really want an HD Riven to come out. The compression hasn't aged well at all, even though the models are beautiful.

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    As cool as Robyn Miller's ambient scores were, Jack Wall did some amazing stuff once they got a bigger music budget
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qC54mBUbRmo

Also I just started playing Riven again and while I can remember a lot of the broad strokes of what needs to be done in each case, the actual combinations for everything are randomized at the beginning of each playthrough, so I'm still gonna have to learn a base 5 number system to solve all of them

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I GIVE THE BLUE PAGE TO SIRRUS

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Mortal Sky wrote: »
    I really want an HD Riven to come out. The compression hasn't aged well at all, even though the models are beautiful.

this very much

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    As cool as Robyn Miller's ambient scores were, Jack Wall did some amazing stuff once they got a bigger music budget
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qC54mBUbRmo

Also I just started playing Riven again and while I can remember a lot of the broad strokes of what needs to be done in each case, the actual combinations for everything are randomized at the beginning of each playthrough, so I'm still gonna have to learn a base 5 number system to solve all of them

Are you fucking serious?

AAAAAARRRRRRRGGGGGHHHHH

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    Hahaha oh my god I think I just crushed whatever spark of hope remained in Stilts' soul
    Yeah, sorry buddy

• Options
    The BetgirlThe Betgirl I'm Molly! Registered User regular
    MYST 3 EXILE WAS THE BEST MYST

sorry i get really excited about myst sometimes i should play all of them again

Steam PSN: YerFriendMolly
    ineedmayo.com Eidolon Journal Updated
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    There was that news a couple years ago about renewed efforts to get a movie made
    Those two indie guys had been working on one for a couple years prior to that but the new word was that a couple of actual Hollywood producers had come on to get the ball rolling faster
    A little digging indicates that's probably not going to happen real soon

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    KilroyKilroy timaeusTestified Registered User regular
    myst 1 had some of the best sound design in any game I have ever played

it still creeps me the hell out, even though I know I'm completely alone in the world(s)

• Options
    Kilroy wrote: »
    myst 1 had some of the best sound design in any game I have ever played

it still creeps me the hell out, even though I know I'm completely alone in the world(s)

But are you

• Options
    Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    I finished Riven without using a guide.

Well I was playing in parallel with my mum and got a hint from her at one point.
    Of all the puzzles to get stuck on, I didn't close a door to find the passageway behind it.

AUGH

broken image link
  • Options
    Also I never played 4 or 5 because they don't have an invert mouse option and playing without inverted mouse gives me motion sickness.

broken image link
  • Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    let's all play uru online

• Options
    Holy shit someone made a mouse inverter last year. I can finally play Mysts 4 and 5!

broken image link
  • Options
    MachwingMachwing It looks like a harmless old computer, doesn't it? Left in this cave to rot ... or to flower!Registered User regular
    Hullis wrote: »

Pretty sure it got shut down?

Also: friggin' loved visiting Atrus' sons' prison ages in revelation. The forest one was neat, but the rocky one was amazing

l3icwZV.png
  • Options
    I finished Riven without using a guide.

Well I was playing in parallel with my mum and got a hint from her at one point.
    Of all the puzzles to get stuck on, I didn't close a door to find the passageway behind it.

AUGH

Hahaha that fucking door

• Options
    Machwing wrote: »
    Hullis wrote: »

Pretty sure it got shut down?

Also: friggin' loved visiting Atrus' sons' prison ages in revelation. The forest one was neat, but the rocky one was amazing

Still running, free to play, servers are fan-run
    http://mystonline.com/en/

• Options
    MachwingMachwing It looks like a harmless old computer, doesn't it? Left in this cave to rot ... or to flower!Registered User regular
    O: O: O: O:

l3icwZV.png
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    yup

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options

Good luck finding the four people who are still playing it

• Options
    nukanuka What are circles? Registered User regular
    I remember playing Myst when I was a little girl. I had to get some help from my dad and I think I remember getting as far as the piano puzzle. I played it again years later and I was so proud when I beat it.
    I was given Uru as a gift but I never got far into it. I just can't really get into it I suppose?

DS: 2667 5365 3193 | 2DS: 2852-8590-3716
  • Options

Yo

When my LP gets to Uru...

Let's do this.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    I say fuck realMyst

pre-rendered all the way

but I also say this as a guy who never actually finished the original Myst, nor played any of the sequels

• Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    Uru's definitely a different beast, but it's definitely worth the experience. Especially if you can go through it with another person. Reminds me I never did get through that puzzle in the garden age that requires two people to open a door.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    I say fuck realMyst

pre-rendered all the way

but I also say this as a guy who never actually finished the original Myst, nor played any of the sequels

I already played the Masterpiece Edition, so I figured I'd go with realMyst this time.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    Stilts wrote: »

Yo

When my LP gets to Uru...

Let's do this.

I am down like James Brown

• Options
    SeriouslySeriously Registered User regular
    oh so myst was hard, it wasn't that I was stupid

wasn't just that

• Options
    Okay, let's do this shit!

Stilts Plays Myst: Part 1
    capture_001_08062013_201324_zps36845e15.jpg
    I begin by touching a mysterious book. What could possibly go wrong?

capture_002_08062013_201348_zpsdf465dc1.jpg
    Turns out a lot, because I'm now stuck on a weirdass island that looks like a theme park.

capture_003_08062013_201413_zps9ad090da.jpg
    The first thing I see is a switch. Which I flip. It doesn't appear to do anything.

capture_004_08062013_201437_zps010c9a70.jpg
    There's another one up by the two giant gears. I flip it. Again, nothing seems to happen.

capture_007_08062013_201538_zpsc485fda6.jpg
    And one more up by this building. Maybe I have to flip all of them? Might as well.

capture_008_08062013_201546_zps1663237a.jpg
    Yeah, that chair doesn't look suspicious.

capture_009_08062013_201617_zps3e1bb7d9.jpg
    I turn of the lights and...oh, hey. It's like a virtual observatory.

capture_010_08062013_201634_zps46d34a77.jpg
    Okay, I have a good idea of what I have to do with this, but first I'm gonna need to find out what date to look up. Otherwise I'm gonna be going through a LOT of combinations.

capture_012_08062013_201708_zpsacd4d03c.jpg
    I pick up my first red page. Soon after, the game crashes. That's....great.

capture_013_08062013_201926_zps42b15f45.jpg
    I manage to read a little of one of the books in this library place before the game crashes again.

capture_014_08062013_202227_zpsd482de38.jpg
    I decide to stay away from the library for now. It can't be a coincidence that the one place that makes my framerate plummet also is the one place that seems to make the game crash. This model ship probably has something to do with the ship by the pier where I first arrived, but I'll be damned if I know what.

capture_016_08062013_202244_zps8b575ecb.jpg
    These things change color when I press them. Predictably, switching them all to green does nothing. I'll need to be more specific, it seems.

capture_017_08062013_202320_zps7cd27013.jpg
    Fuck it, let's go inside this creepy building. After flipping the switch, that is.

capture_018_08062013_202326_zps6b3cf887.jpg
    Yeah, this looks legit.

capture_019_08062013_202337_zpsb704954d.jpg
    Huh. A power plant, maybe? I hit some buttons, which increase the power by a certain amount. I write down how much they increase the power by.

10 1
    7 2
    8 22
    16 19
    5 9

I initially think that I need to hit 100 exactly, but all those numbers combined only reach 99.

capture_021_08062013_202827_zpsec2d0835.jpg
    Okay, so I need to hit a specific number in order to power the "ship." Of course, I have no idea what that number even is. I leave and follow the power line, hoping to find a clue.

capture_022_08062013_202939_zps1deeabeb.jpg
    Well, that's definitely the ship. Unfortunately, there don't seem to be any clues about the power generator.

capture_023_08062013_203027_zpsaaba7339.jpg
    How very rustic.

capture_025_08062013_203042_zps7f1caad7.jpg
    Okay, this seems to control the pressure of...something. Most likely air.

capture_026_08062013_203109_zpsba0da4ce.jpg
    And this safe probably contains something really important. But once again, I'm missing some numbers.

capture_027_08062013_203138_zps395a1a80.jpg
    Again, the workings of this puzzle are pretty obvious. The time I need to hit, though? No clue.

It's at this point that I realize the books in the library are probably not just for show. Unfortunately, the library in realMyst is...unstable, to put it lightly. Looks like I'm gonna need to switch to Masterpiece Edition if I actually want to make progress.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    SeriouslySeriously Registered User regular
    yeah I don't know what the hell is up with realMyst

it worked well for me when I first got it but I started it up a couple of weeks ago and it was torturous

• Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    I keep meaning to play these but never get around to it.

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    Journey into Buried in Time

http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    Artreus wrote: »

I'm also gonna do an LP of the Journeyman Trilogy once Project Pegasus comes out on GoG.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    Stilts wrote: »
    Artreus wrote: »

I'm also gonna do an LP of the Journeyman Trilogy once Project Pegasus comes out on GoG.

Fuck yesssssssss dude
    This was my golden age