As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Journey Into [Myst]ery

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    What's the ish
    Is it just system incompatibilities or is the disc fucked or what

• Options
    SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    physical copy i found is compromised, fucked up discs

nothing online, in any capacity, that works at least

losing hope

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    GSMGSM Registered User regular
    edited June 2013
    This is the first test.

Edit: though really, it's a crying shame that nobody has 3 or 4 in digital distribution right now.

GSM on
    We'll get back there someday.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    @SCREECH OF THE FARG when I go home for the 4th I will see if I can find my discs and I will mail them to you

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    nah you don't need to do that

life finds a way

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    I'm so glad I held on to my physical copies of 3 and 4.

Still safe and sound in my moving boxes.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    CHECK AGAIN

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    myst3and4_zps8d6477c0.jpg
    myst3discs_zpsfcc77375.jpg
    myst4discs_zpsfd8fa032.jpg

They seem okay to me.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    mmm yeah well

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    well you SMELL

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    But yeah, it sucks that finding decent copies seems to be unavailable now.

They're my two favorite Mysts.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    does cyan even exist anymore

is there a chance this stuff will ever be made available

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    I still remember playing through 4 for a bit.

Babysitting Yeesha at the beginning...
    Then she goes and mentions her conversation with her brother. Cue the "oh fuck..." moment.

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2013

They still exist as Cyan Worlds but their site only has links to the games that you can download

Grey Ghost on
  • Options

Cyan exists and does seem to be pretty eager to keep the franchise available.

Unfortunately, they don't have any control over Myst 3 and 4. Those were made by Presto Studios (who closed up shop back in the Xbox 1 era) and Ubisoft Montreal, respectively. Both of them were published by Ubisoft.

So I'm guessing the decision to get those games released digitally rests solely with Ubisoft.

Myst 3 was not considered a financial success, though (not sure about 4's sales), so I'm guessing it's not exactly at the top of their to-do list.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Yeah, IIRC, Ubi wanted a game to show when they bought the rights to the franchise while Cyan was working on Uru. They brought in Presto Studios (No slouches, they did make the Journeyman Project series) to do a sequel while Cyan worked on Uru. It's also why the game's a little easier then Riven.

Didn't know Myst 4 was also does out of the house as well though.

EDIT:

Another great Myst Memory from Uru:
    There's an Age that appears to show control over time. You arrive on a stone atoll and are surrounded by very swiftly flowing water (the current would always take you back to a specific access point). Out in the distance are several other islands that you can see. Part of the puzzle is linking back and forth in this age and seeing the tide rise and fall, and the atoll grow and shrink (erosion), and finally just a being a stone atoll in SPACE.
    Finding the valves that control the flow of water, then jumping into the water and swimming for dear life towards the islands...
    AND FINDING THAT THOSE ARE MOTHERFRAKKIN MATTE PAINTINGS!!!

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    Stilts Plays Riven: Part 2
    capture_001_25062013_zps42b2c822.jpg
    Just to recap: I took the tram to the next island and stopped at a crossroads. I decide to take the left path down.

capture_002_25062013_zpsa21d6002.jpg
    Looks like I'm heading to a beach. There are some...whale-like things there.

capture_003_25062013_zps3deb474a.jpg
    I approach cautiously enough to hear one of them make a special call.

capture_004_25062013_zpsd7aa7be0.jpg
    There's another sound eyeball. I copy down the symbol and describe its sound as "whale song."

capture_005_25062013_zpsb97aad8f.jpg
    The rest of the beach seems to just be eye-candy, so I head back to the crossroads and take the right path up.

capture_006_25062013_zps3412149d.jpg
    That bridge is a bit narrow for my comfort.

capture_007_25062013_zpsffbfe0b9.jpg
    capture_008_25062013_zpsfe7c87f2.jpg
    It offers a pretty damn good view of where we came from, though.

capture_009_25062013_zps78b6cc91.jpg
    Oh god. Narrow, branching paths and doors made out of tree branches. I'm getting flashbacks to the navigational clusterfuck that was Channelwood.

capture_010_25062013_zps1cc908c0.jpg
    I take the right path and find a mine cart. I briefly consider exploring the rest of this place before travelling to parts unknown.

capture_011_25062013_zps363baa86.jpg
    Ah hell. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

capture_012_25062013_zpsae86478e.jpg
    I'm treated to another gorgeous travel sequence.

capture_013_25062013_zps12f0960e.jpg
    capture_014_25062013_zps9fc0d0ff.jpg
    capture_015_25062013_zpsfb994456.jpg
    capture_016_25062013_zps343eb9d6.jpg
    capture_017_25062013_zpsed747716.jpg
    capture_018_25062013_zps6efdcd80.jpg
    capture_019_25062013_zps93986862.jpg
    Okay, that was pretty fun. Guess I should get out of--

capture_020_25062013_zps1badece4.jpg
    AH! FUCK! The bottom of the cart opens up, unceremoniously dropping me into a chute. I fall through the flap and land...

capture_021_25062013_zps36741a77.jpg
    ...just outside a rather depressing lake. I mean seriously. Arizona has lakes that look less sad than that.

capture_022_25062013_zps2166f399.jpg
    Looks like a landed right on top of some sort of grinding mechanism. Thankfully, it's turned off. Otherwise my journey would have ended pretty abruptly (and painfully).

capture_023_25062013_zpseb3895ff.jpg
    capture_024_25062013_zps5f989688.jpg
    Man, there sure are a lot of pipes around here.

capture_025_25062013_zps3b4f258e.jpg
    capture_026_25062013_zps570bb104.jpg
    With Channelwood still fresh in my memory, I go ahead and assume that these pipes provide power to the various contraptions around here. I test out my theory by diverting the power to that grinder-thing.

capture_027_25062013_zps61b7ce06.jpg
    Yep. It's definitely on now.

capture_028_25062013_zps1ab6a4b4.jpg
    Interesting. Considering the mine cart goes back and forth between here and that forest area, I'm guessing the Rivenites used the cart to easily dispose of trees they chopped down. Just put the cut-up trunks into the cart and it automatically sends it to the shredder.

capture_029_25062013_zps0337fcc1.jpg
    I think I'll check out this building next. I divert power to the only pipe that's connected to it.

capture_030_25062013_zpsf008ddf2.jpg
    I forgot to get a screenshot of it, but on the bottom left side of the screen you can see the pipe that comes from the lake splits into to more pipes here. I diverted power into the right branch.

capture_031_25062013_zps339d7a8d.jpg
    This lets me use the switch on the upper right...

capture_032_25062013_zps58dac165.jpg
    ...which raises a platform? Huh.

capture_033_25062013_zpscdd30337.jpg
    I can't open the door yet, though. I'm guessing it'll let me in when that tube-thingy on the right isn't full of red stuff.

capture_034_25062013_zpsbd097d28.jpg
    Look at the first image I posted of this building again. Notice the blue highlights on the bottom? It's difficult to tell without the motion and sound, but those things are flames. And the water inside the building appears to be boiling. I'm guessing that's why it won't let me in. So I need to shut off the flame. I turn the valve on the right, since it's the only thing that makes sense for what I'm trying to do.

capture_035_25062013_zpsb5f0cbca.jpg
    Yep. That did it.

capture_036_25062013_zps16498db1.jpg
    But, uh...it's still flooded. And I apparently can't swim at all.

capture_037_25062013_zpsa6a98170.jpg
    Okay, well, time to turn that wheel, since it's the only thing I haven't tried yet.

capture_038_25062013_zpsf7a2a326.jpg
    Ta-da!

capture_039_25062013_zps8adee2a9.jpg
    It's still damp, but at least I won't drown.

capture_040_25062013_zps1424fee7.jpg
    It's...really fucking dark in here.

capture_041_25062013_zps11a646f9.jpg
    capture_042_25062013_zps95b9b1fa.jpg
    The pipe dumps me off at the edge of a cliff.

capture_043_25062013_zpsb86abdf0.jpg
    That seems kinda high up. I'm surprised I didn't sprain an ankle or something.

capture_044_25062013_zps6602395d.jpg
    capture_045_25062013_zps66c1cf60.jpg
    Nice view.

capture_046_25062013_zps6b2f9df7.jpg
    The cliff leads to a balcony.

capture_047_25062013_zpsd9478357.jpg
    The balcony leads to a shortcut. I divert the power to the final pipe just in case I need it.

capture_048_25062013_zpsed9e8f48.jpg
    Then I open the door.

capture_049_25062013_zpsb8178f5f.jpg
    capture_050_25062013_zps285ca57c.jpg
    What the hell?

capture_051_25062013_zpsac98414f.jpg
    I do actually vaguely remember what this thing is. I'm supposed to trap some sort of small animal with this thing (a frog, I think?). I first need to place a bit of food in the center of the trap.

capture_052_25062013_zps41e54661.jpg
    Then I need to send the trap down in the abyss. And...now I have no clue what to do next. There don't seem to be any more levers I can push; and while it seems like I'm supposed to stop that fan and go through the pipe, it seems to be getting power from somewhere other than the lake pipes. So I'm not sure how to turn it off. While I think about what I want to do next, I remember that I still haven't looked at that journal Atrus gave me. I suppose I should do that.

capture_053_25062013_zps884b8d48.jpg
    capture_054_25062013_zps7ea7d1a9.jpg
    capture_055_25062013_zps91fdc0b3.jpg
    capture_056_25062013_zpsa87cc81a.jpg
    capture_057_25062013_zps2f994a68.jpg
    capture_058_25062013_zps3ed35216.jpg
    capture_059_25062013_zps5140b9c7.jpg
    capture_060_25062013_zps9054baa6.jpg
    capture_061_25062013_zps2fccc9d4.jpg
    capture_062_25062013_zps3978ff21.jpg
    tl;dr: Find Ghen and take him out of the picture. Then cause something crazy to happen in Riven in order to signal Atrus to pick me up and save Catherine. Yeah, sure. Sounds easy.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    My Steam version of Riven is glitched so when I click to go one page forward in the journal, it jumps ahead 2

• Options
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    My Steam version of Riven is glitched so when I click to go one page forward in the journal, it jumps ahead 2

Same thing happens with the GoG version.

It doesn't happen all the time, though, so I just have to keep going back and forth until it only goes one page forward.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    I'm sure it's easy enough to find the text of the journal online though

• Options
    I've temporarily given up on 3 an 4, will wait to do uru

Just started playing 5, is it weird that I got every journal before doing a single age?

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    No, I think they're all in the D'ni areas

• Options
    alright so, making progress in Laki'ahn
    figured out how to do the windy thing, figured out that each stand had its own marking that i could make the bahro engrave on others, kinda like a check point system. Figured out that I can use the windmill contraption to alter the gates while the windy thing was happening, and rotated it correctly and opened the gates and got to the arena area (i sorta cheated, i figured everything out but the gate was closed when I remembered it being open and I couldn't remember what opened it so I just briefly looked up to confirm that the first button controlled the gate, doesn't count)

now I know what I have to do, I have to make the raising and lowering platform stop in the middle so I can teleport to it and move on. I guess I have to alter the 4 sets of weights to make them equal. Best I can figure out is that I have to make the left side equal the right side, but any combination I've almost sussed out hasn't worked. Either I'm misinterpreting what I'm supposed to do or don't understand what opened vs. closed eyes mean. I'm assuming the scale on the left is used for reference of some sort? I'm open to vague hints.

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    This is only vague because I don't remember that puzzle too well but I do know that
    you will need to account for your weight with and without the tablet

• Options
    joy

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    alright, I think my problem is definitely not grasping what position means what, I'm assuming eyes open = upward force, and the more circles there are on a set of eyes = more force? And also that one eye = all of the circles shown and 2 eyes means double that, as opposed to 1 eye = half of the circles

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular
    MYST 5 was a miserable experience.

if you guys want to play Uru together (somehow?!) let me know! I would love to do that co-op again. Uru was one of the greatest online experiences I'd ever had. Amazing community. In-game voice with proximity scaling and sfx tweaking. It was glorious. A real shame it couldn't thrive.

g1xfUKU.png?10zfegkyoor3b.png
    Steam ID: Obos Vent: Obos
  • Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    edited June 2013
    Nocren wrote: »
    EDIT:

Another great Myst Memory from Uru:
    There's an Age that appears to show control over time. You arrive on a stone atoll and are surrounded by very swiftly flowing water (the current would always take you back to a specific access point). Out in the distance are several other islands that you can see. Part of the puzzle is linking back and forth in this age and seeing the tide rise and fall, and the atoll grow and shrink (erosion), and finally just a being a stone atoll in SPACE.
    Finding the valves that control the flow of water, then jumping into the water and swimming for dear life towards the islands...
    AND FINDING THAT THOSE ARE MOTHERFRAKKIN MATTE PAINTINGS!!!

Oh, yeah. Man, that age was a bitch. A lot of tracking where you'd end up if you link between the different time periods from different spots... brain hurty.

The reveal how they pulled it off was amazing.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Elbasunu wrote: »
    MYST 5 was a miserable experience.

if you guys want to play Uru together (somehow?!) let me know! I would love to do that co-op again. Uru was one of the greatest online experiences I'd ever had. Amazing community. In-game voice with proximity scaling and sfx tweaking. It was glorious. A real shame it couldn't thrive.

mystonline.com has Uru free to download. You'll have to make an account to play, but from there you can either log into the main server with other players or create your own server with the client and invite others to play.

There's also a few...beta? servers. I say beta? because these are run by people trying to create new ages from scratch (Uru went open source awhile back).

EDIT:

God I love servers... I still have my character available as well as the Arcadian Archeology Club
    (Your Bevin/neighborhoods are named after your character, so I made the AAC so there would be a listing for the "Arcadian Archeology Club's Bevin")

And I was wrong, if you want to connect to a different server (like one of the beta servers), you'll need to contact Cyan support, not go through the client.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    ButtlordButtlord Fornicus Lord of Bondage and PainRegistered User regular
    Stilts wrote: »
    Artreus wrote: »
    Journey into Buried in Time

I'm also gonna do an LP of the Journeyman Trilogy once Project Pegasus comes out on GoG.

ten years later i still ain't figured out where you're supposed to get the code to not get killed at central command

• Options
    Do you mean in the first game or Buried in Time at the end?

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    CorporateRedCorporateRed Wooooooo! Registered User regular
    GOG has a Library of Myst pack on sale for $9.45. Myst, Real Myst, Riven, Uru, and Myst 5. They're all 50% off if purchased separately.

Steam ID: Corporate Red
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Week after I purchase all of those, rad

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options

Yeah, I know this feeling.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    Stilts wrote: »

Yeah, I know this feeling.
    Welcome to Tuesday in the Steam thread :P

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    NoisymunkNoisymunk Registered User regular
    I wanted to help but apparently there are some bad sectors on disc 1 of Myst III: EXILE.

brDe918.jpg
  • Options
    GSMGSM Registered User regular
    That's probably the copy protection.

We'll get back there someday.
  • Options
    NoisymunkNoisymunk Registered User regular
    Pssh. As if I would do such a thing.

brDe918.jpg
  • Options
    VagabondVagabond Sans Gravitas Glimmer Mafia DonRegistered User regular
    Did this get abandoned? :(

vq2TEKC.png
    XBL: Sans Gravitas, Steam, Destiny, Twitch
    Destiny Raid Groups: Team NATBurn, Team Fourth Meal (Disbanded)
  • Options
    No, not abandoned.

I was on vacation for a week, so I didn't get a chance to play any Riven.

I'm planning on doing an update today or tomorrow, though.

IKknkhU.gif