Options

[The Division] Re-industrializing Manhatten one gun at a time. Releasing March 8th 2016.

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    dispatch.o wrote: »
    People acting like the tension is from "not knowing whether other players will betray you" must have never played DayZ.

Protip: they will always betray you. It's stops being tension and just starts being irritating.

"Are you friendly?"
    "Do you expect me to say anything but yes?"

• Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    Axen wrote: »
    Not sure that was clear:

I don't really want the DZ to be anarchistic PvP. I want it to be high risk PvE with a chance of PvP.

What we got in the beta would get old quick, everyone just shooting first and asking questions never.

Man, my experience (on PC) was very different, but not necessarily for the better.

Rogue players were hunted down like dogs. Seriously, after like the 8th time of running with a fuck ton of people to ruthlessly hunt and execute a random rogue player I kinda started to ask myself, "Which of us is the real monster?" If you've played FFXIV, or most any MMO I guess, you know when a world boss appears and suddenly the zone is flooded with a metric fuck ton of people that whale on the boss and kill it in seconds rendering something that should be a big threat in to a "FREE LOOT!!! RAAAAGHAGHHGHAGHGA!" pinata? That is what rogue players were. They weren't a threat, they weren't something to be wary of, they were "FREE LOOT RAAAAGHAHGAHGAGAHA!" pinatas (insert pic of person foaming at the mouth with uncontrollable lust).

Players rarely shot at me, and the few times they did it was an accident and they apologized.

Getting loot to the extraction point was worry free. Once at the extraction point there'd be like a dozen+ players milling about. Then the helicopter would arrive and we'd attached our loot, call in another helicopter, and repeat.

The few players who were rogue weren't even doing it for the loot, like at all, they were just doing it for the fun of it. Even then they were still smart enough to stay away from extraction sites since there were a crap load of players there at all times.

But, despite a difference in experience I do agree with you and want the same thing. High risk PvE with a chance of PvP.

For the record, I was the asshole who would just murder everyone.

Is it possible to rig an entire extraction zone with explosives before going rogue and then detonating them to go rogue? Asking for a friend.

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    Xavier1216 wrote: »
    What is pulling a Destiny? Being the most successful and well loved shooter in like two years?

If that's the metric I hope they pull a Destiny.

For me, pulling a Destiny is going "Hey, we plan to have this awesome story set in an open universe that you can tackle alone or with friends," and then giving us a couple hours of actual story content while pushing the newest content into annoying multiplayer raids and PvP. I haven't touched that game since grinding my way through the same dozen missions to get to the soft cap, and it was an incredibly disappointing experience.

The raids were really the best content in the game

Im sorry you missed out

• Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    I'd be really happy if The Division has enough to keep me as busy as Destiny has for the last year and a half. With Destiny winding down I actually went back and tried to get back into SWTOR, but I only lasted two weeks before the combat became incredibly boring. Destiny has pretty much ruined traditional mmo style combat for me, so I'm very ready for another shooter with mmo trappings. I don't really even care if the story isn't very good so long as the combat, loot, game play, and social interaction with PA people is good.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    Xavier1216Xavier1216 Bagu is my name. Show my note to river man. Greater Boston AreaRegistered User regular
    What is pulling a Destiny? Being the most successful and well loved shooter in like two years?

For me, pulling a Destiny is going "Hey, we plan to have this awesome story set in an open universe that you can tackle alone or with friends," and then giving us a couple hours of actual story content while pushing the newest content into annoying multiplayer raids and PvP. I haven't touched that game since grinding my way through the same dozen missions to get to the soft cap, and it was an incredibly disappointing experience.

Im sorry you missed out

The raids are only good if you want a multiplayer experience, which I don't enjoy. Bungie should have been more open about how much of their content required multiplayer instead of attempting to tout it as a MMO that you can play single player.

SMMB_Xavier1216_Large_zpscdweorm9.png
    PSN: PLD_Xavier | NNID: Xavier1216
  • Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular

Im sorry you missed out

The raids are only good if you want a multiplayer experience, which I don't enjoy. Bungie should have been more open about how much of their content required multiplayer instead of attempting to tout it as a MMO that you can play single player.

Bungie was super open that this was a multiplayer experience. It's an online only game for Pete's sake.

• Options
    edited February 2016

Im sorry you missed out

I partially agree with you there.

It also doesn't help that their game is still behind in terms of communication tools (still no raid matchmaking, no "social real hub communication capabilities", opt-in voice chat instead of opt-out), and their response to events that require collaborative effort to complete largely being "just find some friends." If you're making a social game one shouldn't have to refer to third party resources because there simply isn't a first party resource to get a group together.

Player trading is a very important thing that the Division also lacks, that I'm hoping they will include post launch.

tastydonuts on
  • Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    Kind of doubt they'll add it, honestly.

Neither of the games are really MMOs, rather than that they are Diablo-styled loot games that also have raiding(or comparable difficult end-game content).

PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular

Im sorry you missed out

Gotta agree with @shoeboxjedi here - I'm not sure if there was any marketing that didn't portray it as a multiplayer experience. I'm also not sure if Division is going to be your thing either considering how much it seems to be a multiplayer experience as well

• Options
    SimpsoniaSimpsonia Registered User regular
    I think I'm ok with them keeping trading out of the game. I was reading some discussion about it, and the inclusion of trading would mean that they would have to tune the natural drop-rates way way down. There was a good back and forth in a thread I read about how 3rd party farmers and Auction Houses etc really hurt Diablo 3 (I never played it, so no opinion, one or or the other), and that the core gameplay of playing to get your own loot was improved once they removed the Auction House and trading. And that it keeps all the absurdly lucky overpowered drops from concentrating at the top, keeping people on more of an even playing field.

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    If you only want to play solo, I recommend you skip the division as well. It's definitely looking like a team play game.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    So you can actually tell what skills people have equipped by looking at their backpacks, informative and a nice level of detail!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Teurl7i027o&feature=youtu.be

• Options
    Simpsonia wrote: »
    I think I'm ok with them keeping trading out of the game. I was reading some discussion about it, and the inclusion of trading would mean that they would have to tune the natural drop-rates way way down. There was a good back and forth in a thread I read about how 3rd party farmers and Auction Houses etc really hurt Diablo 3 (I never played it, so no opinion, one or or the other), and that the core gameplay of playing to get your own loot was improved once they removed the Auction House and trading. And that it keeps all the absurdly lucky overpowered drops from concentrating at the top, keeping people on more of an even playing field.

Yeah. I'm glad there's no trading in Destiny for that reason, and I think it's necessary to keep it out of the division as well. There'll be crafting, at least, to give you an avenue to minmaxing.

• Options
    edited February 2016

Yeah. I'm glad there's no trading in Destiny for that reason, and I think it's necessary to keep it out of the division as well. There'll be crafting, at least, to give you an avenue to minmaxing.

The lack of a trade mechanic in Destiny combined with their extremely limited storage options devalued the loot though.

That's a cool Unobtanium-Rarity Shotgun you gave me RNG, but I don't like shotguns. Guess I'll have to dismantle it for 2 motes of crafting instead of 1! Yay.

Meanwhile, my buddy gets the AR I wanted.

tastydonuts on
  • Options
    f3rretf3rret Registered User regular
    If you only want to play solo, I recommend you skip the division as well. It's definitely looking like a team play game.

I'm going to try the open Beta for this specific reason. I usually only have small bits of gaming time here and there, and occasionally need to drop with no notice. We'll see if the solo play is fun or what.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2016

The lack of a trade mechanic in Destiny combined with their extremely limited storage options devalued the loot though.

That's a cool Unobtanium-Rarity Shotgun you gave me RNG, but I don't like shotguns. Guess I'll have to dismantle it for 2 motes of crafting instead of 1! Yay.

Yeah, but if there WAS trading we'd have all given @Erevar five bucks and had one of every exotic first thing.

To counter that, everything would have been 100x as rare and you'd be even less likely to get the AR you want because everyone wants it.

Darkewolfe on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    f3rret wrote: »

I'm going to try the open Beta for this specific reason. I usually only have small bits of gaming time here and there, and occasionally need to drop with no notice. We'll see if the solo play is fun or what.

I think the gameplay is very solid. The real question is if there's enough of it for solo play.

• Options
    Xavier1216Xavier1216 Bagu is my name. Show my note to river man. Greater Boston AreaRegistered User regular

Im sorry you missed out

Gotta agree with @shoeboxjedi here - I'm not sure if there was any marketing that didn't portray it as a multiplayer experience. I'm also not sure if Division is going to be your thing either considering how much it seems to be a multiplayer experience as well

According to Bungie's top man, Jason Jones: "You absolutely are going to be able to play Destiny by yourself and have the same kind of fun shooter-experience that you could have in a single-player campaign, which is a word that we’ve weeded out of our vocabulary. But we’re going to give you this great player-progression on top of that, and we’re going to give you as many opportunities as we possibly can to expose you to other people, so that hopefully you’re drawn into some social experiences, because those are incredibly powerful and interesting, but we’re not going to force those on you. We describe it in a lot of ways as sloping the floor towards socialization, without putting a requirement on it."

If Bungie had instead been forthcoming that the campaign was a few hours of content that then forces you into multiplayer, I wouldn't have wasted my money on it.

I also wouldn't be as skeptical when Ubisoft says something like, "We are not deliberately punishing solo players or incentivising them by making it harder. It’s a great single-player game, period. We don’t use a stick, but rather a carrot, to get people on board with multiplayer."

The closed beta was pretty decent, since I spent the majority of my time out of the DZ and ran into very few people when I tackled DZ PvE. I'm not committed to keeping my pre-order, though, and I'll certainly be keeping an eye out for previews that highlight any issues with playing solo.

• Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    dispatch.o wrote: »
    People acting like the tension is from "not knowing whether other players will betray you" must have never played DayZ.

Protip: they will always betray you. It's stops being tension and just starts being irritating.

Having spent way more time in the DZ than a lot of people here, this is really not true. There was always tension, because players turning on me and risking their own loot and status was the exception not the rule. I had way more tense staring contests at extractions than actual rogue fire fights. Most of the good rogue fire fights weren't at extractions, they were running affairs.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    edited February 2016

Yeah, but if there WAS trading we'd have all given Erevar five bucks and had one of every exotic first thing.

To counter that, everything would have been 100x as rare and you'd be even less likely to get the AR you want because everyone wants it.

Why are we assuming that their trading system would require or feature real money in any fashion? It doesn't have to. And regardless of if they implenented an AH or it was just player-to-player... black market exchanges of real world money for in-game products are ubiquitous. Not including a feature because of the lowest common denominator isn't a good decision at all (see: Destiny not featuring voice chat because "trolls" and then partially backpedaling on it).

Also, who floated the idea that "things must be rarer if they add trading" anyway? Items in Destiny are just as stupidly rare now without trading. There are players... popular ones at that have resorted to exploits while livestreaming in order to get things due to their drop rates. Not to mention Ghostfalls...and "lol, our drop rates were messed up this weekend."

If an item is sufficiently special, making it "soulbound" or w/e kills that problem dead anyway.

Not having trading isn't really a good thing.

tastydonuts on
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular

Im sorry you missed out

According to Bungie's top man, Jason Jones: "You absolutely are going to be able to play Destiny by yourself and have the same kind of fun shooter-experience that you could have in a single-player campaign, which is a word that we’ve weeded out of our vocabulary. But we’re going to give you this great player-progression on top of that, and we’re going to give you as many opportunities as we possibly can to expose you to other people, so that hopefully you’re drawn into some social experiences, because those are incredibly powerful and interesting, but we’re not going to force those on you. We describe it in a lot of ways as sloping the floor towards socialization, without putting a requirement on it."

If Bungie had instead been forthcoming that the campaign was a few hours of content that then forces you into multiplayer, I wouldn't have wasted my money on it.

I also wouldn't be as skeptical when Ubisoft says something like, "We are not deliberately punishing solo players or incentivising them by making it harder. It’s a great single-player game, period. We don’t use a stick, but rather a carrot, to get people on board with multiplayer."

The closed beta was pretty decent, since I spent the majority of my time out of the DZ and ran into very few people when I tackled DZ PvE. I'm not committed to keeping my pre-order, though, and I'll certainly be keeping an eye out for previews that highlight any issues with playing solo.

You might as well just cancel your pre-order then. This is not a single player game. This is a multiplayer game with some single player content (and even that is best done with other players). This is not a single player shooter, by any stretch of the imagination. This game is meant to be played with others. The entire end game is DZ, which is a multiplayer PvPvE experience.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    SimpsoniaSimpsonia Registered User regular
    edited February 2016

Also, who floated the idea that "things must be rarer if they add trading" anyway? Items in Destiny are just as stupidly rare now without trading. There are players... popular ones at that have resorted to exploits while livestreaming in order to get things due to their drop rates. Not to mention Ghostfalls...and "lol, our drop rates were messed up this weekend."

If an item is sufficiently special, making it "soulbound" or w/e kills that problem dead anyway.

Not having trading isn't really a good thing.

It's really just basic economics that says that. If Ubi were to keep drop rates high, and allow trading, that allows a situation in which there is a lot of demand, and a lot of supply, meaning prices plummet. This means everyone gears up much faster than intended, people get bored, quit the game. Something very similar to this can easily be seen from the first closed beta. The best AR, the Caduceus, was freely available to anyone and everyone for DZ funbucks. Since supply was so high, by Sat/Sun everyone had it, and that was the only weapon that anybody was even using. And since everyone was already fully geared by Sat/Sun that means people played like they didn't give a shit. Now if they had made the Caduceus drop only from one of the DZ chests opened with a key (drop rate way down), people wouldn't have been fully geared so early, and would have continued to play normally.

Unless you want everyone to have the best weapons straight away, supply (drop rate) has to drop by a lot to prevent a completely out of whack economy.

Simpsonia on
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular

Diablo 3 also has trading, though it's limited. Any drop you get you can trade to other party members while you're still in that session. So, if I got some sweet sword that I didn't need because my caster doesn't use them, I could give it to someone else in the party.

I mean, I have no intention of using an LMG in The Division, so if I could give those away to other people who would use them in my party that would be nice.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    GMaster7GMaster7 Goggles Paesano Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    Just got around to reading the open beta patch notes.
    A new Skill can now be unlocked: The Deployable Turret
    Oh, nice! I'm definitely gonna install this next weekend and check it out!
    Fixed a bug that caused continuous vibration under very specific conditions
    Oh. Never mind.

GMaster7 on
    PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842 | Twitch: twitch.tv/SKI2000G
  • Options
    GMaster7 wrote: »
    Oh. Never mind.

err... why would you want your controller to continuously vibrate under very specific conditions?

• Options
    Oh. Never mind.

err... why would you want your controller to continuously vibrate under very specific conditions?

8-)

PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842 | Twitch: twitch.tv/SKI2000G
  • Options
    Oh. Never mind.

8-)

pyRrmYl.gif

• Options
    GnomeTank wrote: »

Im sorry you missed out

You might as well just cancel your pre-order then. This is not a single player game. This is a multiplayer game with some single player content (and even that is best done with other players). This is not a single player shooter, by any stretch of the imagination. This game is meant to be played with others. The entire end game is DZ, which is a multiplayer PvPvE experience.

That's exactly why I'll be keeping an eye on previews and a finger on the cancel button. Ubisoft may want to tout it as "a great single-player game, period", but the general attitude is that there will be little content that's actually accessible to solo players.

• Options
    EvigilantEvigilant VARegistered User regular
    edited February 2016
    Oh. Never mind.

Why wouldn't you? :winky:

Evigilant on
    XBL\PSN\Steam\Origin: Evigilant
  • Options
    sockssocks Registered User regular
    GnomeTank wrote: »

Im sorry you missed out

That's exactly why I'll be keeping an eye on previews and a finger on the cancel button. Ubisoft may want to tout it as "a great single-player game, period", but the general attitude is that there will be little content that's actually accessible to solo players.

This is how I feel the game will be. You will want people to play with. There will be some solo content, but not enough to keep you going. I will be playing as much as I can in this open beta to get a better feel for the game. I barely put 20 minutes into the closed beta, partly because I had just gotten right back into Dark Souls 2 and partly because I didn't want another game to buy with Quantum Break and Dark Souls 3 coming in April. I will have a buddy to play with whenever I'm on for the most part though, so I still think there will be content for me.

• Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    They do have a neat thing where you can see your friends running around on the map and join them on the fly though.

PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    Oh. Never mind.

:winky:
    ftfy

• Options
    cB557 wrote: »
    Oh. Never mind.

:winky:
    ftfy

Ha, I figured that was too cliche. Switched it up. But you're right that the :winky: is more proper.

• Options
    Let's be fair. No marketer is ever going to say, "yeah, people with no friends will hate our game." They want everyone to buy it. They sell things. "Our game is TOTALLY solo friendly, but the multi is so good you'll be enticed into it!" Is marketing speak for the former.

• Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    But how could anyone not want to play with us? :(

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    To be fair I mainly played destiny solo and I enjoyed the hell out of it. I played the division beta by my lonesome and also enjoyed it. Its all about finding enjoyment where you can.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    f3rretf3rret Registered User regular
    Satsumomo wrote: »
    But how could anyone not want to play with us? :(

Well, let's say I joined up with you and 2 others, and we were waiting for a helicopter extraction or whatever, then I disappear. Suddenly you're a man down trying to defend your sweet sweet loot.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    http://www.ign.com/videos/2016/02/12/the-division-the-deepest-dive-into-the-dark-zone-yet-ign-first

Some darkzone video, whats cool to me at least is that the dark zone has brackets at all levels and different enemy levels within those brackets, awesome.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Let's be fair. No marketer is ever going to say, "yeah, people with no friends will hate our game." They want everyone to buy it. They sell things. "Our game is TOTALLY solo friendly, but the multi is so good you'll be enticed into it!" Is marketing speak for the former.

Wow, buddy, "people with no friends"? More like some people actually have real, grown-up lives and interests and aren't going to schedule them around playing a video game with a bunch of kids. Games are a fun occasional hobby, but there's more to life than sitting on your ass and pressing buttons all day.

• Options
    jefe414jefe414 "My Other Drill Hole is a Teleporter" Mechagodzilla is Best GodzillaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2016
    So how about we all stop being gooses and throwing rocks at each other?

The limited exposure to the beta I had + what I've seen in the videos is giving me the same feelings as Destiny in a lot of ways: co-op VS. single player. Sure I could do a bunch of stuff solo but I felt all that same content was way better co-op (I've always been a big co-op fan). In addition, there was a ton of content that I couldn't do solo .

jefe414 on
    Xbox Live: Jefe414
This discussion has been closed.