As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Star Wars Battlefront | We got Death Star, we got Death Star, we got Death Star

• Options
    General_ArmchairGeneral_Armchair Registered User regular
    The stupid ball design is far less practical for providing a stable platform for performing maintenance duties (something I expect from an astromech).

The whole metal/plastic surface of his ball would provide terrible traction.

The entire head is just there to make it look a bit more like artoo.

The whole thing was just designed to be cute. It certainly succeeds on that point. I wouldn't let it anywhere near my spaceship though.

3DS Friend Code:
    Armchair: 4098-3704-2012
  • Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    He looks like he was designed to be some sort of scavenger and recon bot.

I doubt the head is just there for looks as much as it is for reading and scanning the environment.

Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    I'd be surprised if BB didn't have some expansion, arms, or other functionality similar to how the Interstellar robots went from useless plodding rectangles to awesome machines of helpfulness.

• Options
    SaraLunaSaraLuna Registered User regular
    well, it looked awesome right until the end when vader and boba fett showed up

• Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    ObiFett wrote: »
    I'd be surprised if BB didn't have some expansion, arms, or other functionality similar to how the Interstellar robots went from useless plodding rectangles to awesome machines of helpfulness.
    Yep.

Wouldn't be surprised to see him popping gadgets out of his side and going to work on the Falcon among other things.

He doesn't seem like much but if he's an advanced new age model, smaller won't mean less. Just means the lil fella can pack more in a small frame than older droids.

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    well, it looked awesome right until the end when vader and boba fett showed up

Yeah

Because when people play a star wars game, the last thing they want is for Vader or Fett to be playable.

• Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    Honestly I'd rather have it just be all mooks. Heroes don't do anything for me.

• Options
    I'm sure it'll be an option that can be disabled.

• Options
    it's a game about being a frontline infantry dude
    having playable crazy OP named dudes is contrary to the entire premise of the game

• Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    I'm excited, but the confirmation that there are no space battles in the game is a huge disappointment to me. They would have looked amazing in this engine and they were half the reason I played the last game. A "titan" mode could have worked out really well, too, but I'm hearing they're not in the game either.

Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    General_ArmchairGeneral_Armchair Registered User regular
    I'm 99% sure heroes could be toggled off in the old battlefronts. There almost assuredly will be an option here as well.

I certainly hope so at least. Not gonna lie, the lack of a serverside option to disable heroes would be a legit deal breaker for me.

3DS Friend Code:
    Armchair: 4098-3704-2012
  • Options
    AiserouAiserou Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    having playable crazy OP named dudes is contrary to the entire premise of the game

How can it be against the premise of the game when this is the third game in the series and they have all had hero units?

Fair enough.

Aiserou on
  • Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    I'm 99% sure heroes could be toggled off in the old battlefronts. There almost assuredly will be an option here as well.

I certainly hope so at least. Not gonna lie, the lack of a serverside option to disable heroes would be a legit deal breaker for me.

I actually havn't been paying attention to the game, although I'm coming around on it... but are there going to even be dedicated servers for it? I would like to say yes, but y'know... EA.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    Aiserou wrote: »

How can it be against the premise of the game when this is the third game in the series and they have all had hero units?

battlefront most certainly did not have playable named heroes

• Options
    Aiserou wrote: »

The first didn't have playable heroes.

• Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Guys.

Guys.

I've done it. I have come up with the official short-hand name for this game.

We can't simply call it "BF" because that can be confused with Battlefield, especially since it's the same developer. So instead, I present you with--

BaFro

You're welcome, internet.

• Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    That was quick, Origin is already has a page for pre-orders. The deluxe edition gives instant access to Han's blaster, Ion Detonator, MPL Ion Torpedo, and a couple of "exclusive" emotes...

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    I've vowed to never pre-order from EA ever again. Though tempted, I can wait.

• Options
    Zoku GojiraZoku Gojira Monster IslandRegistered User regular
    edited April 2015
    Yup, looks like Star Wars. Can't shake the feeling that what we've seen with that trailer is a 'bullshort.' I'd be happy to be proven wrong in this... in November. It seems awfully early to be selling preorders, seven months before it launches, particularly in light of the condition it's likely to launch in as a pre-holiday EA/DICE game with a committed release date.

Zoku Gojira on
    "Because things are the way they are, things will not stay the way they are." - Bertolt Brecht
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    Gosh, I'm actually weirdly close to preordering this thing. I've never played a DICE game I haven't liked (granted, I've only played like half of them) but uh, I fucking love Star Wars and that trailer sure is something. Darth Vader + Boba Fett worry me, but I'm having trouble imagining the company that makes the Battlefield games fucking this up by making hero characters the main focus of the game or something else dumb like that. That part at the end of the trailer with the TIE Fighters flying out over the huge battlefield and the very short flash of the Battle of Hoth are my favorite parts. That JackFrags video mentions that the guns let you aim down the sights and use overheating rather than ammo which makes me happy - the shooting is not just going to be "point and fire and hope you hit" and they're also not just slavishly recreating Battlefield 4 except with Stormtroopers. I also like how the Rebels have some alien ground troops rather than just 100% white human men. The Stormtrooper running animation looks sort of weird to me and I guess it's always possible for DICE to fuck this all up but I'm pretty excited.

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    It's not the gameplay I'm worried about being messed up at release, it's going to be the ability for the game to not crash immediately upon loading a map or the servers actually being able to host full matches. Stuff like that.

It's true that there isn't a campaign mode, right?

So, it's just another shooter but with Star Wars skins, which is AWESOME, but I can wait until the bugs are brought down to a minimum. Hopefully like a week after release or so.

• Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    I'm not going to say I masturbated furiously to that trailer, but I did inappropriately touch my monitor a few times.

Having not bought either Battlefield 4 or Hardline (3 has scratched that itch pretty well for a long, long time), I'm pretty close to buying Battlefront and maybe preordering it. Random thoughts!
    Lack of space battles is disappointing, but hopefully that sort of feature gets worked into a future title (or even DLC later down the track?). I think DICE could probably have pulled it off but the obvious deadline for the game being before The Force Awakens probably limited what they could effectively produce and polish.
    Lack of dedicated single player is a little disappointing, but honestly the previous games had pretty thin single-player when most of it was clearly repurposed multiplayer maps, and from the sounds of it that's what the approach is going to be this time around.
    Hero characters were fun and awesome. Sure, completely fucked the balance of the game, but as long as there's toggles for it in servers so people who want to play proper competitively can, then that's gravy.
    As long as the map format and design caters to the player count, I couldn't give a two shits about player size. Actual mayhem of a full 64-player server can be "immersive" but it can also be a complete clusterfuck. And clusterfucks ain't fun.

• Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    Actual mayhem of a full 64-player server can be "immersive" but it can also be a complete clusterfuck. And clusterfucks ain't fun.

Star Wars Battlefront: The Metro Awakens.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    The AT-AT got stuck in the lockers. Again.

Archsorcerer on
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
  • Options
    Harbringer197Harbringer197 Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    I wouldn't worry too much about player count the biggest ground battle we ever saw in the original movies only had a couple AT-ATs and snowspeeders any way and about two trenches worth of troops.

apparently their is an actual 5 min gameplay trailer that the press was shown i am very interested in seeing that just to get a handle on how it all looks while playing.

aside from titanfall this is the first game that makes me go yep that's next gen.

Harbringer197 on
  • Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    Oh well, come to think of it the Hoth map felt kind of anaemic in Battlefront 2. But then mods fixed the fuck outta that one, so /shrug

• Options
    TheflyingassTheflyingass Registered User regular
    The stupid ball design is far less practical for providing a stable platform for performing maintenance duties (something I expect from an astromech).

The whole metal/plastic surface of his ball would provide terrible traction.

The entire head is just there to make it look a bit more like artoo.

The whole thing was just designed to be cute. It certainly succeeds on that point. I wouldn't let it anywhere near my spaceship though.

R2 can get stuck on an uneven floor. I don't even understand how he managed to traverse fucking sand dunes with his tiny wheels. The only reason anything in the star wars universe even manages to move, let alone perform their function, is by the power of science magic. The ball can easily be stable for maintenance duties by using invisible science magic.
    ObiFett wrote: »
    And thats awesome

Why do you hate awesome?

It is only awesome if you are the master chief.

It is really shitty if you are the faceless redshirt.

Yeah, but then your team spawns their master chief, and they keep each other busy while us grunts murder each other.

• Options
    CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    The lack of a campaign mode is kind of a deal-breaker for me. I spent days and days playing Galactic Conquest, and the lack of that or a campaign kind akills it for me.

PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    It's come to my attention there are people in this thread who don't like ball-droid.

BfQoPZK.png

Bleah this is going to be the second game ever I buy from Origin, isn't it?

• Options
    CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    BB-8 is great, fuck the haters. Practical effects 4 eva

PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • Options
    They see droids rollin'

They hatin'

• Options
    ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    Who cares about Disney's new toy lineup? Not me.
    The lack of a campaign mode is kind of a deal-breaker for me. I spent days and days playing Galactic Conquest, and the lack of that or a campaign kind akills it for me.

"Finish the campaign to unlock Boba Fett in MP."

Screw that!

Archsorcerer on
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
  • Options
    HallowedFaithHallowedFaith Call me Cloud. Registered User regular
    If I can roll around Battlefront as a BB-8, that would be killer. ;)

I'm making video games. DesignBy.Cloud
  • Options
    SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    I'm pretty glad this appears to be sticking to the original trilogy designs, rather than having prequel or sequel trilogy designs. Always preferred the 80s thick armour and such to the sleekness of the prequel stuff or minimalism of the upcoming new movies. Doesn't hurt that it's a trip right back to childhood, too.

Have to admit pretty harsh disappointment over the player limit, though.

• Options
    Harbringer197Harbringer197 Registered User regular
    trailer reminded me a lot of dices first bad company 2 trailer. very cinematic trailer with hints at game play.

I really hope the y-wings aren't just used as an airstrike it would be cool to pilot them as well as TIE bombers and TIE interceptors

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLYdoodBh5w

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    Eh, I'm A-OK with the lowered player counts; 64-player battles are universally a slog through a meatgrinder where you never get to feel like you contribute much. I had way more fun with Bad Company's lower player counts than I ever did with BF3/BF4's 64-player games; when I blew the shit out of group of folks in BC2, it was actually worth something, instead of there being another fifteen guys running up behind the six I just killed and now I haven't accomplished anything. Maps can be made so, so much better when they don't have to be designed with an absurd number of players in mind.

I'd also be completely okay with space fighters being used for strikes and not for player use. With fighters, either the maps end up absurdly small for flying anything besides chopper-esque craft, or they're so huge that getting anywhere as a soldier is a giant pain in the ass. I'd be fine with stuff like people getting to fly troop transports and whatnot, but I've never seen the appeal of flying jet craft in BF games.

I'd rather have well-designed focus on ground combat a thousand times more than have time wasted on trying to turn the fighter combat into something that isn't either very shallow or a matter of constantly doing 180s every 15-20 seconds as you reach the edge of the map. The original trilogy always had the ground and fighter combat as separate things, and I really think that will make for better gameplay than trying to shove fighters into the game just because it's Star Wars and Star Wars has space fighters.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    Yeah, I never got the appeal to jets. They always felt wrong in every BF game. Helicopters were pretty rad and 1942's planes were glorious but jets? Ehhhch. I'd be very ok with no fighter combat in this. A dedicated space level could be fun though.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    It won't be a Battlefront without some sort of space battles. Some of the best fun of that game was boarding an enemy ship and taking out its shield generators from the inside while bombers close in and take out everything else.

• Options
    Large-scale space battles were absolutely fantabulous in Battlefront 2, but sometimes they could also feel a bit sparse. It didn't help that bots weren't fantastic, and that capital ships boiled down to a handful of key objectives scattered throughout the geometry with a single interior hub for each. Obviously a limitation of technology and hardware back then, so it was still great.

In this day and age, I think people would expect plenty more (graphical and gameplay) detail and meta out of large-scale Star Wars space battles. Free Radical Design apparently had gotten close back in the day with apparently fully-explorable capital ship interiors, but with the level of detail out of DICE's map designs, I doubt they'd be able to handle much more than self-contained dogfighting Battlefield-style within the constraints of their current development time.

That said, if they dedicated space battles to a complete expansion pack that would be sickrad. Like, completely sickrad. There's no way that sort of thing isn't on the horizon, the fan boner for that sort of thing should be too large to ignore. :D

• Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    Donnicton wrote: »
    It won't be a Battlefront without some sort of space battles. Some of the best fun of that game was boarding an enemy ship and taking out its shield generators from the inside while bombers close in and take out everything else.
    By this line of reasoning, Star Wars: Battlefront isn't a Battlefront...