As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Finally [Final Fantasy] Thread has Something New to Talk About!

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    I think I'll just wait for them to finally release Final Fantasy 3 on the Wii U eshop.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    Huh. now that you mention it, you can see the seams on the meteor. That's interesting.

I wonder when it'l be released. It'd be nice to see some screenshots to see the direction they're going with this. I could speculate based on FFV, but FFVI spritework is quite a different base. Dimensions is a bit closer in terms of sprite complexity, but not quite.

I sincerely hope it turns out good enough for you guys.

Enlong on
  • Options
    harvestharvest By birthright, a stupendous badass.Registered User regular
    The FFV iOS isn't just fucked in the tiling of the meteor, it's fucked whenever there's supposed to be any organic or natural looking wall surface. The tiles never match up, and it's always highly distracting.

Additionally, the animated tiles in Exdeath's castle don't animate, really spoiling the originally intended effect.

B6yM5w2.gif
  • Options
    bssbss Brostoyevsky Madison, WIRegistered User regular
    I would love to be proven too much a pessimist. Like Dehumanized was saying and as I've said previous times ot the thread, the PSP FFIV CC sprites are pretty good, and I would be happy with that style FFVI remake. But until we hear who's churning out that remake, I think it's safe to assume it's Matrix, and that does not bode well.

3DS: 2466-2307-8384 PSN: bssteph Steam: bsstephan Twitch: bsstephan
    Tabletop:13th Age (mm-mmm), D&D 4e
    Occasional words about games: my site
  • Options
    It'd be amusing if this took inspiration from FFIV CC, since hte original version of After Years cribbed some spritework from FFVI.

Full circle.

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    The FFV shit also never made any sense to me. If you're playing V, it's almost assuredly because it's got probably the best gameplay backbone of the series. That's all intact. The story is nothing to write home about, but it's also the vastly superior and funny GBA localization, instead of the "it should be illegal to even read this" PSX version. And finally, likely the only reason you're even thinking of the iOS version in the first place is because you don't have easy access to the GBA game, since it's now rare and expensive, as opposed to the cheap iOS one that's right there.

So if slightly questionable sprite work is stopping you from playing one of the best FF games out there... sucks to be you I guess.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Enlong wrote: »
    Oh, it's the meteor you thought looked bad?

Huh.

That was my exact same thought. You are like reading my mind for this entire conversation!

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    SightTDWSightTDW Registered User regular
    I'm pretty sure people would still play V and enjoy it just the same if it were displayed entirely in ASCII. VI is a different beast, but it also has a very different style than V so here's hoping they up the visual standard.

Live - SightTDW | PSN - SightTDW | Nintendo Network - Wildschwein | 3DS - 1934-0834-9797
    Steam - Wildschwein | The Backlog
    Grappling Hook Showdown - Tumblr
  • Options
    KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    Shocking news indeed. People finally are going to notice what they are doing to these games now that they're getting up to the popular ones.

Also making FF VI easier is just an idiotic idea in general. It's an incredibly friendly game that really falls off the cliff in the back two thirds or so.

Er, How is this shocking in any way at all? The only thing that surprised me is that they didn't announce it when they did FFV.

I am a bit worried about the supposed changes, I wonder what their plan is. FFV technically had changes with the auto-battle thing (wish it was a toggle, though), if all they're going to do with it is add that, well, ok. It's shit like this and the FF13 design choices that make me suspect whoever is in charge over at Square Enix Japan nowadays must think their average customer is a complete fucking moron, though.

Also, all this, and the DQ1-8 remake thing, really does for me is confirm that I've long suspected: Square Enix must be completely fucking broke. FF13 / 14 / 15 must have completely wiped them out.

These are not decisions that a company does when they are healthy financially, this is a decision from a company that doesn't want to make hard changes (telling Nomura, Kitase, and Toriyama to piss off, planning FF16 to be a 3DS title, etc) but instead wants to find ways to keep going on the company credit card instead.

• Options
    LucidLucid Registered User regular

So if slightly questionable sprite work is stopping you from playing one of the best FF games out there... sucks to be you I guess.

I don't even think it's slightly questionable. Every time this comes up, it amounts to histrionics without any actual critical insight backing it up, aside from some zoomed in portion of a meteorite.

The sprite work is not that bad, it's not spectacular, but the vitriol being used is past the point of hyperbole.

• Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    That's the joke Kita. I've been saying FFVI ios for months and months now.

3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    Take Bugs Bunny/Mickey Mouse/whatever iconic cartoon and redraw them in the same style as Homestuck.

Take Mozart and put it through auto-tune because reasons.

Get your grandmas best stuffing recipe and take it to McDonalds and ask them to make 'something kind of like it.'

Take your dog out and shoot it, get it stuffed, and play with that instead.

I have bothered to sit here and do sprite comparisons and such to point out why I disliked the Dimensions things one or two threads ago. Now I'll just simply say they are doing shit they don't need to do, that no one asked them to do, which ends up with an inferior product because... reasons. I guess because some geriatric think tank said 'them youngins won't buy it otherwise on their fancy moving phones.' or something.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Those comparisons aren't really equivocal with each other.

...or wih the iOS remakes, for that matter.

I mean, sure, I'd prefer a 3DS or Wii U version, but I can deal with this.

What will completely sour me on it is if they go with the SNES translation again.

Enlong on
  • Options
    Making pointless changes to a state no one asked for, for no reason whatsoever. Its a simple comparison. I just made sure the outcomes were shitty, because thus far they always have been in my opinion, so there was no reason to put a 'good' x to y comparison. Though ones that fans never want or ask for can rarely be considered good.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I wasn't challenging the direction, but rather the magnitude, of the examples.

I've said it before that I can understand being disappointed by the sprite differences, but the sheer level of vitriol continues to baffle.

• Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    Actually, I have to ask. Were the android versions of any of those any good? I'm getting an android phone tommorow, and would like to know if all of the ones on android are avoid at all cost or not.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    What sprite differences? Are there screenshots out there that I missed, or is everyone freaking out over potential changes?

• Options
    There are no screenshots of the FFVI iOS thing yet. This is all speculation based on the other iOS games.

As to the Android version, I think I heard that it plays fine, so if you're not bothered by the different graphics, i's fine.

• Options
    Ah. Sweet.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    With the exception of FF All the Bravest, which won't work on the latest Android version, because... apparently no one thought to test it.

• Options
    Well, that's fine since I don't want to play ATB anyway.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    KiTA wrote: »
    With the exception of FF All the Bravest, which won't work on the latest Android version, because... apparently no one thought to test it.

You mean the newest OS? Is there an OS that's not on GSIII? Because... totally still working over here, just tested.

• Options
    Not that ATB working is really a great thing.

• Options
    LucidLucid Registered User regular
    Making pointless changes to a state no one asked for, for no reason whatsoever. Its a simple comparison. I just made sure the outcomes were shitty, because thus far they always have been in my opinion, so there was no reason to put a 'good' x to y comparison. Though ones that fans never want or ask for can rarely be considered good.

A conservative outlook on gaming is weird to me.

• Options
    Lucid wrote: »

A conservative outlook on gaming is weird to me.

When they re-release movies or music they rarely feel the need to recast the actors or remix the music. People tend to like these things because of what they are.

Things like FFIV DS I can get behind, because it was pretty much redoing the entire thing. Much like the Planet of the Apes movie they made recently.

I mean what if Tim Burton had just taken the old movie and pasted Mark Wahlberg's face over Heston's body, Added in a few dubstep tracks because the old soundtrack was 'too dull' and released it?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Wait, did they screw up FFV iOS's soundtrack?

Because the soundtrack being improved over the GBA version is the one major reason why I'd buy this port. I like the glitch fixes and improved script in the GBA version, but the sound quality and slowdown during spell effects just... argh. I know it's because of hardware limitations, which is why I'm eager to see any remake of FFVI, rather than a virtual console release that keeps the SNES script.

Enlong on
  • Options
    edited October 2013

Because the soundtrack being improved over the GBA version is the one major reason why I'd buy this port. I like the glitch fixes and improved script in the GBA version, but the sound quality and slowdown during spell effects just... argh. I know it's because of hardware limitations, which is why I'm eager to see any remake of FFVI, rather than a virtual console release that keeps the SNES script.

Looking at a couple videos of iOS FFV it seems like they used the original synth rather than the tinny (but not rearranged) GBA synth, so I'd guess you'd get the originals? It's hard to say. From what I recall of GBA FFVI it was rearranged in addition to sounding terrible, so maybe they have a better synth of the rearrangement sitting around. As for translations I imagine you'd get the GBA one, but there's not really anything wrong with the SNES one unless you have a certain hate of Woosley or expect very specific things from localizations.

I mean, the SNES FFIV translation has lots of grammar and clarity errors that shows it probably wasn't extensively proofread by a native speaker, and PSX FFV's translation feels like it was crapped out in a week. The SNES FFVI translation has no glaring issues that I can think of.

Totally with you on the music and performance of GBA FFVI though, because my god. It was bad enough that I stopped playing it. The bugfixes of that version would be greatly appreciated though.

bss on
  • Options
    DaringDirkDaringDirk Daddy CEO Oakland, CARegistered User regular
    I folded and grabbed the Android version of FFV. Would have been a MUCH easier decision if they'd released it in time for the fiesta. I'm not as bothered by the sprites. I mean, considering the resolution of the original, they had to do SOMETHING, and a simple upscale or leaving it as huge chunky pixels wouldn't work. That would look terribad on a tablet, and I'm using a 5.5" Galaxy Note 2, which is as close to a tablet as I can fit in my pocket and still call a phone, so there's that. I've got stuff to play in the meantime and could wait for it, but I'd like to encourage SE to release things like FFVI, and especially DQVIII for my phone. As a father, pretty much all my RPG gaming is either on the pot or during commute, and not having to carry/buy a dedicated video game system appeals to me and my lazy ways. I get an hour a night after the kiddo goes to bed, if I'm not doing other adult stuffs with the Mrs., so that's reserved for more actiony, less time-consuming grinding games. Mobile works SO much better for me at this point in my life for RPGs, and having it on my phone is just too convenient to pass up.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Hey guys, just checking in

Still no release date for FFX/X-2?

• Options
    Oh yeah, I wonder what iOS FFVI will do about the Celes scene that was removed from GBA FFVI.

Funny you should ask... they just announced that it'll be December 26 in Japan, so don't expect to see it here this year.

http://gematsu.com/2013/10/final-fantasy-x-x-2-hd-remaster-japanese-release-date-set

Also, not to dredge up a bunch of bad vibes from those who thought it was impossible in this thread (or maybe it was the Vita thread) but that link confirms retail Vita releases.

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    I swear...Square even takes forever on HD updates

That said...at least it looks like they put a decent amount of work into it so can't be too annoyed.

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    I was always hoping for an FF4 PSP Style Remake of 6.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anqdZOvL6v0

I could dig that style. I think 5's problem is they updated the sprites but not the backgrounds, so it feels off.

RMS Oceanic on
  • Options
    DaringDirk wrote: »
    I folded and grabbed the Android version of FFV. Would have been a MUCH easier decision if they'd released it in time for the fiesta. I'm not as bothered by the sprites. I mean, considering the resolution of the original, they had to do SOMETHING, and a simple upscale or leaving it as huge chunky pixels wouldn't work. That would look terribad on a tablet, and I'm using a 5.5" Galaxy Note 2, which is as close to a tablet as I can fit in my pocket and still call a phone, so there's that. I've got stuff to play in the meantime and could wait for it, but I'd like to encourage SE to release things like FFVI, and especially DQVIII for my phone. As a father, pretty much all my RPG gaming is either on the pot or during commute, and not having to carry/buy a dedicated video game system appeals to me and my lazy ways. I get an hour a night after the kiddo goes to bed, if I'm not doing other adult stuffs with the Mrs., so that's reserved for more actiony, less time-consuming grinding games. Mobile works SO much better for me at this point in my life for RPGs, and having it on my phone is just too convenient to pass up.

You know, I have this nifty thing we can't ooga booga talk about on forums because its supposedly evil, that does really nice eagle, sai and hq2x and those games look pretty nice on a nexus 7. Which, might I note, is at 1280x800 display with 216ppi.

So I want to suggest that the comment in bold isn't 100% accurate.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited October 2013

No, but Japan wins again.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/81KUJBSwpUL.jpg
    (Huge box art.)

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    Desperate for some traditional JRPG grind, I finally started playing Dimensions in earnest the other day, and despite it basically being an FFV sequel in everything but name, I'm really enjoying it. I'm not sure I like this JP stuff though, is it effectively unlimited, or do I need to be careful how I spend it?

• Options
    MuzzmuzzMuzzmuzz Registered User regular
    Is it bad that I kinda hoped for a FFVI remake in the style of the DS FFVI on the 3DS (that's the 'spoony bard' one, right? I always get those mixed up) While I enjoyed the original style (played on the GBA, not the older version), I wouldn't mind the graphical/sound enhancements.

• Options
    DeaderinredDeaderinred Registered User regular
    I was always hoping for an FF4 PSP Style Remake of 6.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anqdZOvL6v0

I could dig that style. I think 5's problem is they updated the sprites but not the backgrounds, so it feels off.

i think im planning on buying that psp to tv thing when it comes out just to play this. looks niceeee.

• Options
    edited October 2013
    Muzzmuzz wrote: »
    Is it bad that I kinda hoped for a FFVI remake in the style of the DS FFVI on the 3DS (that's the 'spoony bard' one, right? I always get those mixed up) While I enjoyed the original style (played on the GBA, not the older version), I wouldn't mind the graphical/sound enhancements.

No version of FFIV has not had "You Spoony Bard!", to my knowledge.
    Desperate for some traditional JRPG grind, I finally started playing Dimensions in earnest the other day, and despite it basically being an FFV sequel in everything but name, I'm really enjoying it. I'm not sure I like this JP stuff though, is it effectively unlimited, or do I need to be careful how I spend it?

I think you eventually get enough for it to not matter overmuch. But be careful initially.
    bss wrote: »

Looking at a couple videos of iOS FFV it seems like they used the original synth rather than the tinny (but not rearranged) GBA synth, so I'd guess you'd get the originals? It's hard to say. From what I recall of GBA FFVI it was rearranged in addition to sounding terrible, so maybe they have a better synth of the rearrangement sitting around. As for translations I imagine you'd get the GBA one, but there's not really anything wrong with the SNES one unless you have a certain hate of Woosley or expect very specific things from localizations.

I mean, the SNES FFIV translation has lots of grammar and clarity errors that shows it probably wasn't extensively proofread by a native speaker, and PSX FFV's translation feels like it was crapped out in a week. The SNES FFVI translation has no glaring issues that I can think of.

Totally with you on the music and performance of GBA FFVI though, because my god. It was bad enough that I stopped playing it. The bugfixes of that version would be greatly appreciated though.

I think some of my opinion may have to do with reading the Lina Darkstar translation thread before the GBA version came out. That thread was really cool at explaining the differences between the scripts, and I was overjoyed to find that the GBA translation vindicated that thread's version of the script.

Anyway, there's nothing extremely glaring. Woolsey did great with the time he had. Nobody misspells "Ragnarok" as "Kangaroo" or anything, but it's sort of an overall tone. The GBA translaion brings out some subtleties and character arcs that were lost in translation or mishandled in the SNES version. Some lines didn't make a lot of sense in the SNES version, and one line ("The Empire's made me a rich man") was the opposite of what was intended. Woolsey also had to deal with Nintendo's censorship policies at the time, which the GBA version didn't have to worry about. The GBA version also cut back on unnecessary and multiple exclamation points. Seriously, it's a bit weird how often characters in the SNES version are shouting.

Just, in a general sense, the GBA version's script feels a lot more polished to me. The Woolsey script is by no means PSX FFV levels of bad. Heck, I grew up, and loved FFVI, on Woolsey's script. I just find the GBA version to be better, and more definitive. Certainly more polished.

Also, the GBA version made the Opera fit the music. Always a plus.

Enlong on
  • Options
    Which, might I note, is at 1280x800 display with 216ppi.

Which is exactly one screen / aspect ratio / ppi combination out of the dozens or hundreds that they'd have to target. Heck, the official developers guide suggests aiming for 480x320 as your "official" resolution.

Here's some thought experiments using NES pixmap tiles and sprites in this kinda setup:

http://imgur.com/a/D3HLI

and every single one of those wouldn't work on anything "non-standard" -- I don't even think they'd work on a Nexus 7, without some form of letterboxing. Android development using pixmap stuff is a huge PITA.

• Options
    I think some of my opinion may have to do with reading the Lina Darkstar translation thread before the GBA version came out. That thread was really cool at explaining the differences between the scripts, and I was overjoyed to find that the GBA translation vindicated that thread's version of the script.

Anyway, there's nothing extremely glaring. Woolsey did great with the time he had. Nobody misspells "Ragnarok" as "Kangaroo" or anything, but it's sort of an overall tone. The GBA translaion brings out some subtleties and character arcs that were lost in translation or mishandled in the SNES version. Some lines didn't make a lot of sense in the SNES version, and one line ("The Empire's made me a rich man") was the opposite of what was intended. Woolsey also had to deal with Nintendo's censorship policies at the time, which the GBA version didn't have to worry about. The GBA version also cut back on unnecessary and multiple exclamation points. Seriously, it's a bit weird how often characters in the SNES version are shouting.

Just, in a general sense, the GBA version's script feels a lot more polished to me. The Woolsey script is by no means PSX FFV levels of bad. Heck, I grew up, and loved FFVI, on Woolsey's script. I just find the GBA version to be better, and more definitive. Certainly more polished.

Also, the GBA version made the Opera fit the music. Always a plus.

I would pay to see this guy's take on FFVI versions, because his analysis of the rifts (large and small) between FFIV translations is an amazing read: http://legendsoflocalization.com/final-fantasy-iv/ It mostly goes deep into SFC FFIV, SFC easy type FFIV, and SNES FFIV, but dips into the newer translations, which are generally better than SNES FFIV but have their own issues as well (mostly stemming from deviating too greatly from the original work without directly adding to translation). It also occasionally pokes enormous holes in the J2E fan translation.

I don't know enough (or really, anything) to say if Lina Darkstar or GBA FFVI have nearly the same degree of variance in translations, but that site has definitely made me skeptical of retranslations, and really translations in general.