Options

[CHAT]ow the Hedgehog. Please crit my OC?

• Options
    MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    I'm updating my Invoice to make it look more like it belongs to a graphic designer. Nothing crazy, just type work.

Does anyone have any experience doing taxes for freelance work? All my freelanced comes from big companies and they do it for me and send me a W2 at the end of the year. I don't know how to handle small clients.

• Options
    Angel_of_BaconAngel_of_Bacon Moderator mod
    edited April 2014
    I've done it a bit- but since I'm dumb with accounting, I'm probably not the person to ask about it.
    I know you should set up an EFTPS account with the IRS, then you need to make estimated tax payments on a quarterly basis (see: http://www.irs.gov/Individuals/Self-Employed). I'm assuming here that you're working as an individual and haven't incorporated (which may be better for some reason, though I couldn't tell you why exactly.)

Basically, you need to calculate your income tax, and then the self-employment tax on top of that. You also need to do the same with your state's tax board- at least in California there's a similar online system for this. You fill this out once every 3 months (there's a set date per quarter you have to do this by), and it draws it directly from your bank account (you can probably do this via check as well?).

My problem was not knowing how to factor in deductions, or how to deal with the unevenness of the income over time (if you've got a good sense of how much money you'll make over the course of the year, it'll be a lot easier to figure out your tax bracket and such, and factor in things accordingly- if you're getting payments unevenly and you don't know what the situation is going to be week to week, it becomes more difficult to judge what you should be doing)...I just vastly overpaid by not factoring in deductions at all just to make sure I wasn't underpaying (the IRS scares me so I just want to keep them happy and off my back), and then got a fairly large return when I did my income taxes at the end of the year.

This is almost certainly not the way to go, so having an actual accountant who knows what they're doing to help you with this stuff is probably recommended. (Trying to do this all myself was a part of why I haaaaaaated freelance work. I don't know how people that do freelance as a career manage it.)

Angel_of_Bacon on
  • Options
    God, this makes me want to cry.

• Options
    God, this makes me want to cry.

Yuuuup. Like I said, probably want to get an accountant to deal with it if you can. You'll still probably want to cry when you need to send the money in, but at least you won't have to cry through just trying to figure out how much to send in.

• Options
    m3nacem3nace Registered User regular
    Pew pew pew, arrows of desire galore. It's a valentine's day massacre!

• Options
    ProspicienceProspicience The Raven King DenvemoloradoRegistered User regular
    Hey, isn't @magictoaster a Valentine's Birthday guy? Happy Birthday MT!

• Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    I squandered my love arrows.

Just like my actual love.

• Options
    Thanks, Prosps!

• Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    GODDAMNIT first Target now kickstarter.

Just got an email saying they had a security breach. Luckily no credit card info was taken but they apparently did get emails, mailing addresses and all that fun stuff.

Time to start trying to pay for things exclusively with livestock. Let's see you hack a chicken, you bastards.

• Options
    edited February 2014
    You wouldn't download a cow!

m3nace on
  • Options
    melting_dollmelting_doll Registered User regular
    So I'm on my phone and can't link an image but can we talk about the hilariously bad editing in the Captain America Winter Soldier movie poster

• Options
    DirtyDirtyVagrantDirtyDirtyVagrant Registered User regular
    I don't think I've seen that one.

• Options
    melting_dollmelting_doll Registered User regular
    edited February 2014
    You can see the one I'm talking about here:

http://ohnotheydidnt.livejournal.com/85328766.html

(Specifically the one that is less blue where you can see both of black widow's super uneven arms and where nick fury is apparently a very tiny man)

melting_doll on
  • Options
    pazshadowpazshadow Registered User regular
    It's the mask that looks super off to me first. Just weird.

• Options
    Mini Nick Fury is the best.

• Options
    NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    Things feel better today. Massive Thanks to prosp for listening to my ramblings the other day. It helped a lot and . . . things seem to be going well now.

Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • Options
    ToasticusToasticus yeah YEAHRegistered User regular
    so today Harmonix announced their new FPS (you read that right) with a faceless boob-window character design

and then Capcom said you can't be a female character in their procedurally generated Dark-Souls-Alike because of story

what the fuck, game industry

• Options
    FugitiveFugitive Registered User regular
    edited February 2014
    I'm sure it's one of those ironic/satirical/post-modern statements that just happens to be identical to the usual thoughtless horseshit that permeates the industry.

Like Kill la Kill or anything Kojima does.

Fugitive on
  • Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    I really hope the mediocre philosophy graduates they pay over at PR come up with some real convoluted shit this time
    I mean, really reach in there, guys; I want to see Sartre or Adorno or something

• Options
    my money's on them going with, "Oh that design is because she's empowered. She has the largest patch of exposed skin in TronLand to show how confident and self-assured she is, even though everyone is apparently made out of polygons and stardust in the virtual reality game universe anyway"

• Options
    KallistiKallisti Registered User regular
    Ahhh I'm so fucking psyched for Dark Souls 2, please get into my eyeballs now.

• Options
    Toasticus wrote: »
    my money's on them going with, "Oh that design is because she's empowered. She has the largest patch of exposed skin in TronLand to show how confident and self-assured she is, even though everyone is apparently made out of polygons and stardust in the virtual reality game universe anyway"

My theory is going to be they're going to say 'it's supposed to be like one of weird costumes that some diva performers wear on stage', being a music game and all...of course, ignoring that those costumes are themselves dumb and sexist. Also ignoring that the other characters don't appear to be following that convention either, otherwise the male characters would mostly just be wearing t-shirts and jeans instead of some weird cosplay shit.

Also the Capcom thing just seems sort of dumb, just from a practical standpoint- if they don't have the money to make an alternate love story or whatever to make a female protagonist work (and that element is that important to the story that it can't be removed (unlikely, but just taking their statement at face value)), it'd probably make more sense to just take out the ability to choose different characters entirely and say, 'This epic tale is specifically about the character of Dungeon Bill here.' Less PR backlash and you've saved some money on making a handful of alternate character models.

• Options
    edited February 2014
    Well, here's the really damning thing about Deep Down. It is going to be a free-to-play game with character customization and procedurally generated levels.

edit: to be clear, I mean that individual character storytelling in the game is wildly unlikely to be worth half a moment's thought anyway and makes for a very flimsy excuse for being so exclusionary.

Toasticus on
  • Options
    NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    And today Irrational Games, makers of Bioshock, cut staff to 15 to form a more lithe, agile vehicle for Levine's visions. Urrrrrrrgggghhhh
    http://www.irrationalgames.com/

to make up for my arghness here is a rad retro-style sci-fi painting by the majestic Ian McQue
    BgtydEhCcAASJka.jpg:large

Toasticus on
  • Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    Basically the games industry on the east coast is burning down, which is totally sad because at some point I may want to live close to my folks again.

• Options
    Toasticus wrote: »
    And today Irrational Games, makers of Bioshock, cut staff to 15 to form a more lithe, agile vehicle for Levine's visions. Urrrrrrrgggghhhh
    http://www.irrationalgames.com/

I find the implied idea that those people being laid off have absolutely no ability to generate revenue for Take Two without Ken Levine personally holding their hand the whole time to be completely ridiculous. Let him do his own thing and put those people to work on something else for fuck's sake. 150 people who made a couple of the more successful games of the last generation suddenly have no value because you take away one dude? Bullshit.

Layoffs because there's no money to go around are shitty enough...but laying off people because of what seems on face value like a, "YOU ARE NOTHING WITHOUT ME!" ego-trip seems even shittier.

• Options
    yeah all the "but hey our next project is going to be SO EXCITING" seems so scummy and insensitive. I understand the desire to give an explanation to the layoffs, but just keep it factual and hold back on the hype-driving promotional speak for one fucking press release, you know?

It worked for some sites too, they got distracted by the shiny and put up articles going "ooooooh new Ken Levine project... and some people got fired or something whatever"

• Options
    ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    Irrational was an "auteur" studio built around Ken Levine. The layoffs are Take Two saying that their principal interest in the studio was Ken. If Take Two felt that Irrational could realistically continue to make profitable games without Ken they probably wouldn't have fired everyone.

To call it an ego-trip makes it sound like it was Ken who decided that his studio would be hopelessly lost without his vision. I would be shocked if Ken actually had anywhere near that much power, to be able to unilaterally fire the whole company, if he were so inclined.

• Options
    Fair enough, the situation certainly in reality was probably more complicated than it comes across in the press release- but nevertheless the messaging here paints him a pretty poor light, whether he deserves it or not. Surely a standard 'business is tough I dunno what to tell ya, we're sorry we have to do this" PR message would come across better, but they decided to set him up as taking the blame for this shitty decision.

It doesn't change the fact that someone in power in the organization had the shitty idea that Levine was so vastly more important the numerous people that actually built his games, that they could simply be dismissed with little loss- and I take issue with that, regardless of who is holding that opinion.

• Options
    KallistiKallisti Registered User regular
    So so harsh. People with mortgages, people with lives, people who've moved their family there in order to work, I know the industry is a volatile place but it's such a hard pill to swallow.

Are there any other studios in the area anymore or will everyone be forced to move out west?

• Options
    There's an absolute abundance of indies in Boston, but for larger studios Harmonix and Rockstar New England are pretty much it as far as I can tell.

• Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    There's not many big studios around here, unfortunately. :\

The only "bigger names" I can think of are Turbine (which just had layoffs), Harmonix (which just had layoffs a few months ago), Rockstar New England, Demiurge...

I'm not sure when this was last updated but it has been a handy site for me in the past. There are a handful of indie and small-team groups here, but yeah...the more often this happens, the fewer options anybody has in this area...a lot of people I know have had to move to California or find work freelancing, or find work in another industry entirely.

• Options
    Hey, videogame industry

You uh, you feelin okay?

• Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    Fugitive wrote: »
    Hey, videogame industry

You uh, you feelin okay?

11HolyCrapaFire.png
    12OhBugger.png

• Options
    Maybe I should pick up Rosetta Stone for Mandarin and get a job at a Chinese outsource house now to beat the rush, if I want to be able to keep doing art for a living. :/

• Options
    Hey, videogame industry

You uh, you feelin okay?

11HolyCrapaFire.png
    12OhBugger.png

tumblr_mq04s0lfJM1ssyqw1o1_250.gif

• Options
    TamTam Registered User regular