As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Mechwarrior Online: They've just gone obtuse!

1939495969799»

• Options
    SelectaSelecta Registered User regular
    Guys, I have a confession to make.

I'm addicted to space shotguns.

MNWGRdm.png
    PSN: Hellcore- Steam MWO: Hellcore
  • Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Capsaicin wrote: »
    Gaslight wrote: »
    So the LLAS boat nerf means it's a good time to rebuild my K2 from the Quadrapult configuration, which is was pretty effective but always sort of boring to play IMO.

I'm considering this: MAD Mimic [CPLT-K2]: 2xPPC, 2xMLAS, LBX, 275XL, DHS, Endo

Aesthetics aside I've never been impressed with the LBX any time I've used it, but I think it could do OK as a secondary/cooling down weapon. The choice of engine on this build is tricky...any smaller and you run out of room for heat sinks, any bigger and you run out of weight for heat sinks.

Thoughts?

IMHO, the cure for the new LLas nerf for the Catapult K2 is the Ultracat.

Needs more ULTRACAT!!!™®©

I suggest.. Nay, DEMAND, we do an Ultracat night in celebration of PPC nerfs.

While I would get behind this, there are a couple problems for me:

1) I'm spending the next month in Alaska and am relying on my laptop for all my computing needs (and my laptop will blue screen after two matches due to overheating issues).

and 2) I don't have a Catapult in my stables.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular
    So the LLAS boat nerf means it's a good time to rebuild my K2 from the Quadrapult configuration, which is was pretty effective but always sort of boring to play IMO.

Aesthetics aside I've never been impressed with the LBX any time I've used it, but I think it could do OK as a secondary/cooling down weapon. The choice of engine on this build is tricky...any smaller and you run out of room for heat sinks, any bigger and you run out of weight for heat sinks.

Thoughts?

They announced PPC nerfs?

Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
  • Options
    CapsaicinCapsaicin I asked my 2 y/o son to draw a pic of my German mom, and thats what we got. Registered User regular
    CarbonFire wrote: »

Thoughts?

*Lifts rock CarbonFire has been living under*

Yes! They are nerfing boating of weapons in general. This isn't specifically for PPCs, but boating them will be much more difficult to the changes they've announced!

Basically if you run more than X number of weapons of a specific kind, you get hit with a very bad heat penalty.

E.g. - The max number of PPCs you can mount without a penalty is 2. If you run 3, and you shoot them all, you will get all the heat from the 3, plus an extra penalty that PGI described as "exponential".

Also they lowered the Overheat Damage threshold from 120% to 100%.

capsaicin_zps254b275f.png
  • Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    Erlkönig wrote: »

Thoughts?

1) I'm spending the next month in Alaska and am relying on my laptop for all my computing needs (and my laptop will blue screen after two matches due to overheating issues).

Orly, where at in Alaska?

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    North Slope, NPRA area. About 32 miles west of Prudhoe.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options

Thoughts?

Yes! They are nerfing boating of weapons in general. This isn't specifically for PPCs, but boating them will be much more difficult to the changes they've announced!

Basically if you run more than X number of weapons of a specific kind, you get hit with a very bad heat penalty.

E.g. - The max number of PPCs you can mount without a penalty is 2. If you run 3, and you shoot them all, you will get all the heat from the 3, plus an extra penalty that PGI described as "exponential".

Oh, I know about THOSE nerfs. I'm more interested in actual PPC nerfs that make it less heat efficient than a medium laser.

• Options
    HydroSqueegeeHydroSqueegee ULTRACAT!!!™®© Registered User regular

Thoughts?

Oh, I know about THOSE nerfs. I'm more interested in actual PPC nerfs that make it less heat efficient than a medium laser.

By "nerf" i mean everything Carb described

kx3klFE.png
  • Options
    BillGatesBillGates Registered User regular
    I feel as if Paul was feeling the pressure and decided to hit hard with these coming nerfs. I personally feel LLAS can be bumped to 3 or even 4 before extra heat penalty kick in. 4 LLAS are hard hitting, but you can torso twist and mitigate focused damage to your mechs. The same with all lasers, they all suffer from that distinct tactic. I think Meds at 6 is good, but LLAS can probably go up a beam or two.

It should hopefully be pretty easy for PGI to just bump the max alpha up a notch or two. So while some people may lose some of there favorite builds on tomorrows patch, i don't think it will be a permanent "goodbye", just a temporary one. At the very least it forces you to become more creative and change your mech around, promoting a meta-change.

I know i'm going to lose at least 2 builds tomorrow because of LLAS being at 2 for max alpha.
    Erlkönig wrote: »

Thoughts?

Take your laptop outside while in Alaska. Wont overheat =P

Steam - BillGates91 | LoL - Billbotnik | MWO - BillGates | FFXIV - Leoric Botnik
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular

Thoughts?

I keep trying UAC5 builds and I always do poorly. My RNG Jam luck is consistently the worst thing on the planet. I should be banned from buying UAC5s.

• Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    I agree with the seeming consensus that 3 or 4 as the boat limit for LLAS would have been reasonable.

• Options
    DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular
    I agree with the seeming consensus that 3 or 4 as the boat limit for LLAS would have been reasonable.

I reserve judgement until I see it in action.

NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options
  • Options
    More like people being bad at space shotguns.

• Options
    edited July 2013
    Russ Bullock seems to have confirmed on Twitter that the SRM buff will be coming in tomorrow's patch after all, not held back until the 30th, I guess in response to the overwhelming consensus in the official forum poll.

Gaslight on
  • Options
    More like people being bad at space shotguns.

OK. Can you explain what exactly the person in the video is doing that is "bad"? He has his reticle on the CT of the target at what seems like it should be a very reasonably optimum range.

Not trying to start an argument here. I have never had much success with the LBX but I know some people here love it so I am trying to get a handle on it.

• Options
    imperialparadoximperialparadox Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    3clipse wrote: »

Thoughts?

I keep trying UAC5 builds and I always do poorly. My RNG Jam luck is consistently the worst thing on the planet. I should be banned from buying UAC5s.

My Muromets with 3xUAC5 and 3xML is pretty fun, and I lean heavy on the autocannons. Sure, it jams, but then it unjams, and it is glorious.

steam_sig.png
    Nintendo Network ID: imperialparadox | 3DS FC: 2294-4029-6793
    XBL Gamertag: Paradox3351 | PSN: imperialparadox
  • Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

MEET THE NEW THREAD

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/180879/mechwarrior-online-srms-are-being-buffed-tomorrow-all-aboard-the-hype-train-choo-choo

SAME AS THE OLD THREAD

wWuzwvJ.png